Free Phone and Minutes!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Has anyone heard of Safelinkwireless.com? Apparently it's Tracfone's answer to the economical crisis. You get a free phone with free minutes. You can qualify by either your income OR by being enrolled in Medicaid or some other govt aid programs. For instance, if you are single with an income of $14,702 or less, you can get a free phone and minutes.

They have three plans to choose from. The third plan gives you 250 minutes monthly BUT the minutes don't roll over. Whatever you don't use by the end of the month is wiped away when your new 250 minutes are added.

The other two plans give less minutes monthly (68 or 125) BUT they DO rollover from month to month.

You also get long distance, voicemal, texting, 411 directory assistance and 911 service.

I just completed the simple online application. So now all I have to do is send in a copy of my income tax return and wait for my phone.

So if you need a cell phone but can't afford one, perhaps with this program you CAN. And if you want additional minutes, you can buy a tracfone airtime card anywhere and add those minutes to your Safelink phone. Even if you rarely need a cell phone, they're great to have when you're on the road. You never know when you might need one. And who can argue with FREE??

NancyAnn

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Excellent information ~ I know a gal that needs this but she would never send a copy of her (lack of) income tax return. I will try to convince her...

Thanks for sharing the information.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Without proof of income, she misses out on a lot of things. Most of the places that give away necessary freebies require proof of income.

I faxed my application yesterday so I should hear something soon. I have a Tracfone that I'm very careful with. It costs me about $100 a year with about 1000 minutes a year. The minutes roll over, but now that it's my only phone (did away with my landline), I'm using it a bit more, and I'm conscious of every minute I use. The free plan above will only give me about 2 hrs a month, but that's about all I use. I'd rather email someone instead of chatting for hours on the phone.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I got my free phone yesterday. It came already set up with 120 minutes on it. It's a small Samsung phone. It will be a great backup phone. The battery on my regular cell doesn't last long and it sometimes goes dead when I need it. So now I have an alternative.

It really is free. You can add minutes by buying any Tracfone airtime. But 2 hrs a month will do me just fine I think.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Butterfly - I have a Safelink. Be sure you have the phone on during the time of month your minutes are added. Mine are added the last 5 days through first 5 days of the month. I have to be sure the phone is on and charged those days, until the monthly minutes are added. If the phone is not on during the time they try to add the minutes, my understanding is you will miss out on your monthly free minutes.

I found that the Safelink phone didn't get as good of coverage area as my TracFone did. I live in the country and sometimes I have a signal, sometimes not. Often I can't make or get calls, but somehow, they can always add my minutes. Sometimes I am in town, where there SHOULD be signal, and I can't get any.

I have an 86 year old Mom at home who needs to be able to reach me. I went back to having a TracFone. I only use the Safelink as a backup, in case I forgot to charge the Tracfone, or in case our electric goes out and I need the extra battery of two phones or something like that.

I can't run it down, because it **IS** free -- but I normally spend $20 every 3 months for the TracFone. It is not perfect, but it is a bit more reliable. Since i can't charge either one in my car, I do feel better with both of them when I have to travel the 3 hours to Cleveland to my doctor for example. Kind of like men who wear a belt and suspenders I guess. LOL

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

That's kinda why I got it--as a backup. I have a tracfone too, but sometimes I forget to charge it. So this way, maybe ONE of the phones will always work. My brother can also use it. Sometimes he "loses" his cell phone--leaves it at work or just can't find it at the moment. So we can share. I'll probably use it most to talk to my brother in Phoenix who can chat for an hour or so. I won't be giving the phone number out so people won't be calling me on it. It will be strictly for MY use as needed.

I really love my Tracfone. They have a special right now where you can get 1500 minutes for about $200. On my phone, the minutes double, so that's 3000 minutes for $200, plus another year of service. 3000 minutes will last me at least a year, maybe two. I'm not Chatty Cathy on the phone. It's strictly a tool, not entertainment, like it is for some people. It sounds like you're the same way, Daylily, since you spend only $20 every few months.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I have one of those Safelink free phones, thanks to my social security being below the federal poverty level. I've accumulated over 1,200 minutes because I seldom use it... except now they require at least 1 call per month to stay activated. It isn't the best reception, but still handy if there's ever an emergency on the road.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I didn't know about the one call per month for Safelink. I'll have to put that on my calendar so I make sure to call Time and Temperature or something!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The one-call/month was new beginning in August...

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I'm enjoying having this Safelink phone as a backup. They already added another 120 minutes. It came with 140 minutes already on it.

Since I don't have a landline anymore, I'm using this extra cell phone for miscellaneous calls--like to order my mom's RXs or dinner, etc. So I'm using the minutes, not very quickly, but I'm letting the minutes on my main phone accumulate now. I figure if they see that you're not using the minutes, they may not approve you in a year when you do a new application.

I think I can text with the phone too but it has a regular phone keypad, not the qwerty keypad, so that would be a pain.

It's really awesome that these programs are out there, especially during this recession.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I just got a message on my Safelink that it was time to renew for another year. I read through the terms, and my understanding was the one call a month to stay activated was only if your phone is not on and available to accept the auto upload of your monthly minutes.

I made a note to go back and re-read them again.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I'm finding that I'm using my Safelink phone more and more. Now instead of using up the minutes I pay for on my other phone, I grab the SL phone for most of my calls. I leave my main phone available for incoming calls and use the SL phone for outgoing calls. I love that my minutes roll over. I already have over 300 minutes on it. And I don't worry about each little minute I use now. My brother's birthday is next month, and now I'm not worried about using up 60-90 minutes to call and wish him a happy birthday. (He LOVES to talk. LOL)

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

For those of you who are afraid you may forget to turn your phone on at the first of the month, fear no more. In the information they sent me with my phone is a yellow card that gives instructions on how to claim your minutes if you don't have them by the 10th of each month.

1. Press the MENU key located in the center of the navigation keys or arrow keys.

2. "Prepaid" will be displayed across your screen. Press OK or SELECT.

3. Go to "Redeem Airtime" or "Add Airtime". Press OK or SELECT.

4. If your screen displays a message, go down and press OK until you see "Card #" or "Airtime Pin".

5. Enter 555. Then press OK.

6. If you are pompted to use a promo code, press NO. You will receive your minutes shortly.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

ButterflyChaser-I have been following this thread from the beginning and want to thank you for your helpful information. My mother requires a landline phone for her medical alert system and a cell for when she's not home. We use the lowest plans we can find but never heard of Safelink Wireless. I plan on signing her up in the next few days. I noticed a Refer-a-Friend bonus and would like to know if you'd like to be my friend and get some extra minutes? Just D-mail me your name and number if you want to.
Debby C

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

ButterflyChaser- Mom was accepted! They said we should hear more from them shortly so keep an eye out for your extra minutes. Thanks again for all you do for your fellow DG ers. We live in a 55+ mobile home park and I plan on putting up a notice in the Clubhouse so others will benefit from your knowledge too. :)
Debby C

This message was edited Oct 31, 2011 2:24 PM

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

That's great news, Debby! I just told my new roommate about it and we're going to sign him up too. It's great that there are places who offer services like this, isn't it?

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

It truly is! Now if only we could do something about the electric bill! LOL I love Tucson but I hate trying to sleep in the heat.
Debby C

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images