Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gardening by the Moon: Gardening Calendar for August 2011

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 17, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8724131

Hello friends, here is the garden shores for August.
Remember to think in your fall garden, start your seeds of winter vegies.
Enjoy!

August 2011
1st-2nd A Barren Time. Best For Killing Weeds, Briars, Poison Ivy, And Other Plant Pests. Clear Woodlots And Fencerows.

3rd-4th Good Days For Planting Aboveground Crops. Excellent For Sowing Grains, Winter Wheat, Oats, And Rye. Plant Flowers.

5th-7th Plant Peas, Beans, Tomatoes, Peppers And Other Aboveground Crops, In Southern Florida, California, And Texas. Extra Good For Leafy Vegetables. Plant Seedbeds.

8th-9th Cut Winter Wood, Do Clearing And Plowing, But No Planting.

10th-12th A Good Time To Plant Aboveground Crops.

13th-14th Barren Days. Fine For Killing Plant Pests.

15th-17th Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops, Fine For Vine Crops. Good Days For Transplanting.

18th-19th Barren Days. Do No Planting.

20th-21st Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now Will Yield Well. Good Days For Transplanting.

22nd-23rd Any Seeds Planted Now Will Tend To Rot.

24th-25th Most Favorable Days For Planting Beets, Onions, Turnips, And Other Root Crops. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens. Good Days For Transplanting.

26th-29th A Barren Time. Best For Killing Weeds, Briars, Poison Ivy, And Other Plant Pests. Clear Woodlots And Fencerows.

30th-31st Good Days For Planting Aboveground Crops. Excellent For Sowing Grains, Winter Wheat, Oats, And Rye. Plant Flowers.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8729723

Again, Cristina, thanks for posting these bulletins for us to follow. I have been following these charts all year this year.

~ Evelyn
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8733162

Happy to help.

I do only plant when the moon is happy to let me do it and I believe my plants do better and are more productive.

I am starting my seeds in flats inside, our winter has been very cold, looking forward to spring!

I am pruning some shrubs and a couple of fruit trees fruit trees, I already put few garlics on the ground and they are already sprouting,

Need to prune a couple of very young grapes vines, but lately has been cold and wet, raining steadily
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8734847

Cristina ~ How cold does it get where you live? Does it snow there?

It is still hot, and it stays in the 80's for most of the summer, though much hotter elsewhere, even the Sacramento valley, which is the closest large city, about 45 miles. We are 20 "mountain miles" from the nearest town, which is Placerville. They call it a city, but it is a small one. I really like to grow as much produce as possible. (Flowers, too!) Do you grow any flowers?

Tomorrow I will be planting some seeds for fall crops...lettuce, broccoli and peas. I have just harvest about the last of the spring peas, believe it or not. I keep telling them I will pull them out soon, and then they keep giving me more peas. I have to pull them out tomorrow so I can plant my fall crop. I will harvest my garlic and plant some new cloves in November, as I planted these late, but still they grew well. they are a bit small, probably since I did not plant them at the right time as the growers told me they plant theirs in November.

What crops have you started inside so far?

~ Evelyn
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 6, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8740574

no, Evelyn we do not get snow here, when you get to the mountains yes but that is around 60 miles away from me, We have a couple of night with -4 to -6 degrees Celsius, which is 25F and 21F.

July that is equivalent to your January (winter, winter) the temp. stays around 10C that is 50F, cold but not too cold. The problem for us here is summer, not as high temp. as I'd like.

I grow most vegetables, not extended season and heat for melons, the tomatoes I have to start them early and inside, in this area potatoes are cultivated for the entire country, apples galore, lots of stone fruits are exported to USA and Europe, Chile with rich volcanic soil, export lots of vegetables and fruit.

I need to wait till mid August for peas and beans, I do start some peas and beans in small pots , the same with pumpkin ( squash, I think are called in US).

You can still have time for some cabbage and other winter vegetables.
Cristina
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8740786

Yes, next year I will grow some corn, squash (zucchini and winter), melons and beans. We had too much shade until the pine tree was felled this year.

I also have to start any warm season veggies inside as this year it was cold until June 1st...with hail!

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8740804

21 to 25 is cold enough! We get snow here every year, though usually it does not get below 20. The year before last it was 17 for about a week.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8754767

Evelyn, I'm sorry I did not answer you before, a relative got ill and we all have to move to the hospital, he is well now, and he is home with my nieces, 3 and 4 nephews

I love your flower bed, I do have many bulbs and some are starting to appear announcing the coming Spring, We have a full week of rain and because the emergency I could not start any of my seeds, now I have to wait till Monday and hope that I can start with some peas and beans in pots to move to the ground in late September.

I also need to start with pumpkin ...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8758754

Good luck! There always seems to be something more important than seed-starting. I hope that your spring planting does well.

I will be planting potatoes in fall this year as the ones I planted in spring yielded very little. I did put a few leftovers in the ground last fall and they are still growing. Do you grow potatoes?
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8760176

Yes Evelyn, I do grow some, much more as a novelty, to enjoy 1 or 2 meals of homegrown taters, around here they are cheap, I leave in a potato / wheat growing region,now in winter when potatoes are dear, we pay Chilean$ 8.000 = US$ 16 around 70 US cents per pound.

Potatoes are heavy feeders you need to fertilize or use rich organic soil with plenty of compost and have to be careful with too much manure, just a bit only.

I do grow them in container or bags I live in a residential area, not a big yard but I manage to have a good vegetable garden and I try to grow what is more expensive. Also over here there are plenty small growers, local organic producers and vegetables are not dear at all.

Tomorrow I'll put some pumpkin, beans and peas and we'll see how they'll behave...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8765399

Yes, potatoes are cheap here too...but rarely do I see organically grown potatoes. I don't know what chemicals are commonly used on potatoes. They use way too many chemicals here in this country. Monsanto has them all "over a barrel".

I wish i could grow all of the veggies that we use. Then I know that they are grown with love but not chemicals.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8765556

That is what everybody want I feel. I do grow lots of things in pots, but the natives people around here, the Araucanos, do not use fertilizers other than manures. In that we are lucky here in La Araucania, which is the name of the region.

The blue egg come from the Araucana hen, original from here.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8765652

Yes, thank you for the wonderful information. We have a friend that gives us blue eggs, though they look a bit green...also our neighbors have chickens so we have plenty of fresh eggs. (We live in a rural area.) They don't allow chickens in the cities.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8767545

It is difficult to understand some municipalities, counties regulation, but that is what it is.

I find some rules fascinating. You wonder who make them. I love to have fresh eggs, I cannot keep chickens in my place either, but 5 blocks away you can... go figure that out!
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2011
11:33 PM

Post #8780560

This is great:0)
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8782256

Wow, Cristina!

September is almost here. I am looking forward to fall. Right now it is too hot to start many things unless I start them indoors. Maybe I will do a few things as I do not want to miss the fall gardening season. I usually wait until it is too late then wonder why I don't have anything unless I buy them at the nursery!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8783848

Evelyn, so sorry. Life always interferes in my plans. I've been busy with other things and I was not even aware how times was running away ...

I'll put the calendar for Sep. right now.

Love, cristina.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8784041

Thanks a bunch, as always!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America