Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Heirloom Vegetables: Your Favorite Heirlooms II

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 26, Views: 460
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8725053

It is time for a new thread. We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/370312/

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8727783

My yellow Russian cherry tomato is setting fruit now. It is called Elena and it is delicious. I got the seed in a trade here on DG. Can't wait to eat them.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

July 31, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8728316

I have to say Paul Robeson is my favorite! I garden here in southern California... Nancy

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8735771

My 3rd or 4th year to grow Big Rainbow started from saved seed. I love it chilled & sliced on a turkey and cheese sandwich with brown spicy mustard on whole wheat bread.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2011 10:52 PM
joy112854
Crestview, FL

August 6, 2011
11:52 PM

Post #8741263

This has been a rotten Spring/Summer and I was disappointed with some of the types I had faith in producing and was surprised how well a few new ones I tried did. I tried Burpee's Orange Slice, new for this year and it was very productive, mild, meaty, and very sweet, no acid taste, and yes it was yellow orange in color and I will plant it again next year. My caspian pinks flopped; but a new one called "Church" did exceptionally well as did the Red Ponderosa. The sweet million did well; but the mountain belles were late in blooming. None of the yellows did well at all and the Pink Wonder was a flop also. I did get some nice Burpees Pink Pounders and some nice Burpees Heritage. My eggplant was a total flop til the very end of the season, too much sun and too hot.
joy

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8772805

My first time ever for Limbaugh's Legacy Potato Top (from critterologist) and the taste was outstanding- my favorite for now
Last year's Cherokee Purple produced wonderful big frutis for me but I can't remember what I thought of the flavor

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8773330

Cherokee Purple is still my favorite for flavor. It hasn't been the biggest producer, but they are so wonderful, I'm willing to plant two of them, and that's unusual for me. It is the only tomato I'm willing to do that for; the others get one plant of each varietyi.

I'd love to try Limbaugh's Legacy Potato Top some time. I've read such wonderful things about it, both here on DG and elsewhere!

Angie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8773714

Well I better start digging because looks like next year I will have to grow both CP and LLPT, and I also have seeds from a huge German heirloom (noid) from someone in NC.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8773916

I found a really amusing garden blog, called This Garden is Illegal. Every year, she grows a selection of heirloom tomatoes, and then does "tomato tastings" and posts her impressions of different varieties. I have to admit, it has changed the way I approach a new tomato. She considers what they taste like straight, and with salt, whether it would be good for slicing, salads, or cooking, etc. I just get a kick out of the personal twist she puts on the process, I guess.

Anyway, those of you who love a variety of tomatoes might enjoy reading through her past years' tomato tastings. As of today, I think she's only posted 2 tastings this year.

http://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/2011/08/hannas-tomato-tastings-2011.html

It is nice to know how many other people out there are as obsessed with a good tomato as I am. :)

Angie

Thumbnail by Bookerc1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2011
12:27 AM

Post #8774108

Great blog, Angie! loved her story on Patio tomato (geez I wish I could write like that...)
She did Cherokee Purple in 2009, Marianna's Peace in 2006 I think it was. I have the same recall of Marianna's Peace, great taste but very few fruits on my one plant.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8779703

Thanks, Angie. I loved that blog too. Also love your photo of your tomatoes. They sure look good. Yum
bigdaddie
Sevierville, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2011
11:05 PM

Post #8789676

Judging from the success of my beefsteak and German Queen- see other pics- G Q is 12ft now and has 16 ripening and 12 blossoms on top, and sweet as sugar , firm ,keeps on cupboard 4-5 days. I don't take credit for these plants, just old poo and water. Will try to save some seed.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8790476

Does anyone have experience with great white tomatoes? The fruit is starting to get pretty large, but I don't see anything that even closely resembles white. Is this a really late tomato?

marcia
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8790612

I've grown them, this year the plants died, I guess they just couldn't take the heat. Are yours still green? Its been my experience that white tomatoes are much more yellow then white. Yes, they are late tomatoes 80+ DTM. But that's just an estimate.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8791434

Still green, but getting pretty big. They looked yellowish when I Googled, that's encouraging. Except for the cherry tomatoes, everything else we planted was an heirloom, 2 each. They seemed to do so poorly that I'm surprised we have any fruit from them at all, but at this time in the season, we're getting quite a bit, growing larger. We sowed Marvel Stripe indoors late February, but all the beautiful (greenhouse?) plants failed to have a good show. They looked like hardy plants, but none of them grew nice thick stems like the ones we started ourselves. We've been getting ripe Marvel stripe tomatoes for about 3 weeks.

I think I'll I try more seeds next year. Planted in ground May 7th-15th, so we're getting to the 80 day mark in spite of ourselves.

I know Texas has faced the drought of the century. How did your other tomatoes fare?

marcia
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8791580

Drought and extreme heat. This is the first year that I have ever not had at least some ripe tomatoes all summer long. My plants that survived the worst of the heat (113* in the shade last Sun) are doing OK but not blooming or setting. Im not going to complain tho, I dont know how some of the Farmers and Ranchers are going to get through this year). Now the deer have found my garden, thats how bad it is, they are coming right up by the house. They have eaten my pumpkin and cucumber plants, I was really hoping that I would get some but pollination has been so bad do to the heat, I think Im going to have to chalk this year up as a learning experience.

Let us know when your Great Whites get ripe.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 27, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9140915

Ah jeese, now I HAVE to go out and buy a "Hillbilly" tomato plant as I saw some the other day and had NEVER seen them before...and since my parents both came from West Virginia, and tried their whole lives to get rid of this past, I am revisiting it..almost heaven!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9142006

Hillbilly has a long DTM just wanted to let you know. The DTM is a guesstimate at best, but Id hate to see you waiting for the first fruit to ripen when the first frost comes in.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

May 28, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9142289

No problem! We can fry green tomatoes...thank you for the information!
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

June 3, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9150642

Another way of looking at it is this: I have other tomatoes going full-blast at this minute. So, those three spindly Hillbillies should hopefully ripen up after the others have died. This should be fun - to see an extended growing season with those red beauties!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9153374

Decided to REALLY cut down on the number of tomato plants this year. Growing almost all heirlooms. I still think our favorites will be Brandywine and Marvel stripe, but only time will tell. At this point we have blooms and some small fruit. I think I dug to China to plant them, and it has turned out to be a bonus for us.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9184785

It seems I am always saying this, it is not so much a matter of taste as what I can grow.The Marglobe has been a favorite of mine since about 1972,good taste, easy to grow and durable.An Ester Hess outgrew it this year only that was my mistake not the plants. Both of those are loaded with green tomatoes only with the conditions being what they are it will be a while before I see tomatoes from my garden this season.
Usually by the second week of June there has always been some ripe tomatoes.

I don't even know if I will enjoy the Ester Hess as I have never had any before.
I have a Broad Ripple Cherry growing nicely with many green tomatoes only I don't know about that either as another first.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9186347

Iceburg is the only one that has set so far. We are having a gloomy, rainy June, so it will be a wonder to get the hay in (we always cut after the 4th) and tomatoes to set and grow. Woe is me.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

June 29, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9186527

My Abe Lincolns are extremely healthy bushy plants, dark green, with about 3-4 in-a-cluster, hand-sized green tomatoes nicely set inside the bushes...and those two silly Hillbillies are lovin' life! Hubby planted them all together on the corner of our old shed, and they are about 3' tall, with blossoms. He just jammed them in - I could hate him for his gardening-ability - just throws stuff in holes barely big enough, and NO amendments, and of course they thrive, but I love him so much! The one Hillbilly in our garden is 2 1/2' tall, dark green, stocky and no blooms yet. Go figure.
We did have the tease of a home-grown tomato this week with our patio babies giving us three! I planted one in the large pot on our front porch, where it shares life with a "Hen and Chicks" plant and a Sedum.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9203127

It is not news ,I like the Ester Hess tomato I picked two of them and there is a dozen to be picked in the morning.Tastes like the yellow tomatoes my grandparents use to grow.And it could be!!!
Broad Ripple current has a really thick skin for a small cherry, picked a couple and they tasted like a standard tomato,that is after you get through that skin .Kinda like popping a grape in grape in your mouth.
Plants aren't as resistant to drought as I thought at first, only I am in a severe drought zone ,so anything that holds up or produces is worth a "look see" for next season.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

July 13, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9204068

Had an Abe Lincoln tomato this week for the first time - WOW. Sold. They're proving to be all I know as the perfect tomato - hand-sized, ugly as all get-out (kinda squashed and gnarly but still sliceable), red, red, red, texture like soft velvet, and taste as complex and a bit spicy with true acid and ripeness...ah! And from seed! The plants are now bonafide shrubs, and glorious.
You must understand that I haven't ever grown a tomato from seed. But then I saw that packet...I will surely hate to see the end of growing season with these guys. But then those silly Hillbillies should step in...
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9232435

My Great White plant has been producing for over 3 weeks. The tomatoes are pale yellow in color, very juicy, and low acid. Each one weighs about 1-1/4 lbs., making them great slicing tomatoes for BLT's. My second favorite heirloom is Mortgage Lifter. They, too, are large and pink in color. A little olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, some green onions, and chunks of Mortgage Lifter = delicious salad. Third favorite is Mr. Stripey. The flavor is outstanding with nothing more than salt & pepper. In the photos, Great White is left, Mr. Stripey is in the middle, and Mortgage Lifter is on the right.

Thumbnail by 1alh1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 27 Sep 15, 2014 5:50 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America