Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Gingers: Curcuma 'Jamacian Red' Bloom-pics

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 15, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8725070

Label says Curcuma 'Jamacian Red'

Thumbnail by Moodene
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8725076

Close up of the bloom

Thumbnail by Moodene

TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

July 30, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8725833

Nadine, can you describe the plant? How tall is it and does it have red stems. This looks like it breaks thru the side of the pseudostem similar but higher up than flaviflora. Nice pictures.
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

July 30, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8726111

Looks like a form of C longa (tumeric) which makes since with the Jamaican name.
Some breakout early like this, the common hidden Ginger (incorrectly called C petiolata), emperor, etc.

Just a side. Most plants grown as C flaviflora in the US are actually C rubrobracteata. I introduced it many years ago and was later told it was C flaviflora. However in reality it was a new species that wasn't "discovered" til years later. It was named after plants in India were found. The cultivated forms are from Thailand though, native to the chaing Mai area.

Tim Chapman
TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

July 30, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8726168

I've never seen a longa with red stems, hence my reason for asking if the stems retain the red color.
I have seen flaviflora and rubrobracteata used for the same plant. Are you saying that it has been determined that rubrobracteata was used first? Thanks
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

July 30, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8726363

I've had some C longa with reddish stems, not as nice as Scarlet Fever though. The entire complex of C longa and related medicinal/edible spp is a big mess. Many similar looking plants and no easy way to really tell them apart. C longa is believed to be of hybrid origin and there are many forms, but all sterile triploids. It's a situation similar to edible bananas... but the Curcuma hybrids were all given species names or subspecies etc. To make it worse, many of these have been misidentified in the trade..and even medical research publications etc!!

C flaviflora is a valid name, but it was misapplied to the red bract species that was later described as C rubrobracteata. I don't think anyone in the US is growing C flaviflora, but it is now in cultivation in Thailand at least. It's a very different plant than C rubro. They both bloom on the ground as do a few other species. The name confusion came from trying to ID a plant that wasn't even described yet.

Tim Chapman
TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

July 30, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8726661

Tim, do they both have the elongated rhizome? Thanks for the info- interesting stuff.
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

July 30, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8726682

Don't know about C flaviflora's rhizome. It certainly is possible as some of the other spp whose inflor.s break out at ground level do. Just a guess. C flaviflora has a greenish inflor. with bright yellow flowers. It's a much smaller plant as well.

Tim Chapman
GingerGrower
Anthony, FL

August 2, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8731677

Hi Nadine...Is that the Curcuma longa 'Jamaican Red' you got from me?
Mine have never bloomed for me. Yes, the stem has MUCH more red than the regular
Curcuma longa Tim, I have 4 different longa.
That is Great Nadine, GOOD JOB !!!
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 3, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8734000

On a related note, I recently got some new curcuma that I thought were unfortunately just renamed Scarlet Fevers. I had to recheck the photos but verified the one that bloomed this spring is definitely something else. Hopefully once established they won't be shy bloomers like Scarlet Fever, but still have the same landscape value. There are a few others out there with similar foliage, that extra red makes them so much more attractive.

Tim Chapman
GingerGrower
Anthony, FL

August 6, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8739983

Hi Tim, I know that a few years ago, agristarts was selling Scarlet Fever as 'Big Red'
& I did see it offered in Texas I think, under another name. The Curcuma longa 'Jamaican Red' that I have, came from a nursery here in Florida. I bought it at a produce market where the Nurseryman had a booth. He told me that his son lives in Jamaica & sent him a rhizome of the plant that he used as a spice to cook with.
I took it to Russel Adams, this was about 5 years ago, & he said it was a from of longa, but one he had never seen before. I told him the story of where it came from & he said to name it 'Jamaican Red', it is shorter & not as stout as 'Scarlet Fever', it does grow like the other longa's. The red stem is nice & I have used the rhizome in cooking the same as any other tumeric.
TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

August 6, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8740448

Is this the same curcuma you all are calling 'Jamaican Red' ? I got these out of Thailand and they have red stems slightly less intense than 'Scarlet Fever' but are summer bloomers from the crown of the pseudostem. This flower is tipped with a violet or maroon. Grows to 4-5ft.

Thumbnail by TejasTropicals

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8750369

Boy. Been gone to n back from Idaho for daughter's wedding. I got mine from a nursery in Houston.
GingerGrower
Anthony, FL

August 15, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8758008

Hi Nadine, I am sure you got that Jamaican Red from me. Mine just bloomed also. After you posted the pic, I went out & looked at all of them I have & sure enough, one of mine is blooming. I got that from the guy who brought it into the country & I am the one that gave it that name as he had no name, only that his son sent it to him from Jamaica & used it as a spice ginger. Take Care, Richard
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 27, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8780315

@Tejas

Has your Red Police bloomed as a spring bloomer before? The one one I have comes from the same source but under a different name. I'm curious if it's the same thing but one of the species that can bloom both ways. One of mine bloomed this spring, but no summer blooms that I've seen. Also, Plant Delights had something similar called Summer Snow but it's not on their catalog anymore, would like to have compared photos.

Tim Chapman
TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

August 29, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8784125

Tim, these Red Police have never bloomed in the spring for me. I also think they are different from the Red Jamaican because the the bract has violet tips and the stems are somewhat more intense red, less than Scarlet Fever but not much.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America