Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Market Growers: Farmer's Market displays - pint baskets? Photos pls!

Communities > Forums > Market Growers
bookmark
Forum: Market GrowersReplies: 0, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
downtownjen
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8725290

Hi everyone - my name is Jen and I'm in Phoenix AZ. I am a tiny backyard grower and participate with other backyard growers in a communal booth at our downtown market. Our booth usually does really well because people are fascinated by the thought of these hidden gardens right in their own neighborhoods (it's hard to grow anything in Phoenix, let alone fruits and veg). Although most of us are not full timers, we definitely do NOT undersell the larger growers. Usually we are a bit higher because we all pay into the ongoing management of our communal booth as well as market fees.

Anyway, I tend to sell mostly cherry tomatoes, japanese eggplant, asian veg, string beans, persian cukes, etc - stuff I usually sell by the "pint" (the running joke is that I only grow "mini" veg! Hey - I only "farm" about 1/12 acre! Small veg is good!) So far I've been taking small paper bags (like lunch bags) and folding them down to size and displaying the produce that way. The name of my "farm", the type of produce and the price are all marked directly on the bag. The response has been great. So good in fact that other vendors have been copying the idea!

I've been eying many of your posted photos of your displays and have been so impressed (keep 'em coming!). At one point, before I joined DG, I found a pic posted here from a person who specialized in growing peppers. S/he had a beautiful display of pint wooden "tills" (baskets) filled with mixed peppers. I was really inspired by that pic but cannot find it again after searching through 32 pages of this forum.

Can anyone help me out with this?

I am considering buying a small supply of the green plastic baskets and using those to display my produce (found a place that will sell me 100 which would work great). This would save me time folding bags and because they are more open, show off the produce more. The green color also matches the theme of my display (each grower at the table has a certain amt of table space to make the most of - so we each have a banner and some kind of theme).

I am so enjoying everyone's expertise here! Thanks to all those posting both experienced and newbie - I'm learning a lot!

Waiting for it to be under 100! (Come on OCTOBER!)

Jen

Thumbnail by downtownjen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

This thread hasn't received any replies yet. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Market Growers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sat., June 21 Markets CountryGardens 40 Oct 5, 2010 5:25 AM
Odor-free Bone Meal? Will wildlife still uproot plants? PlanterRik 8 Jun 24, 2009 2:31 PM
Question on growing food for sale (organic) hczone6 28 Oct 1, 2007 7:52 PM
water melons,cantaloupes CricketsGarden 8 Sep 1, 2007 8:39 PM
Backyard nursery TXSWETIE 183 Jul 2, 2007 9:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America