Photo by Melody

Article: Plant Pronunciation, Part 1: People Plants: I do not get it.

Communities > Forums > Article: Plant Pronunciation, Part 1: People Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Plant Pronunciation, Part 1: People PlantsReplies: 1, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Noturf
Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French)

August 1, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8729050

Botanical names are useful or not. Pronunciation does not mean much unless one can really spell. Spelling is not necessary when researching since the system will suggest a correct spelling. Therefore, the preoccupation about correction and pronunciation is totally trivial and inconsequential.

Thumbnail by Noturf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8729227

I can agree with you up to a point, Noturf. Spell-help when researching and spell-check when writing are convenient inventions, but they’re no substitute for a solid language knowledge base. You say that pronunciation doesn't mean much unless a person can spell. And I say, pronunciation and spelling are both vital skills necessary to being an effective communicator! (Sorry, I think it’s the school teacher in me coming out.)

There is so much to learn from studying plant names, or any words for that matter. Languages evolve along with people, and delving into the history behind the meaning, spelling and pronunciation of a plant name tells us as much about ourselves as it does about botany.

While I believe spelling and pronunciation of plant names are interesting and important, I also think those gardeners who are hyper-correct about Latin pronunciation, and who are only too happy to seize on what they consider the errors of others, are missing the point. (Perhaps this is what you were thinking of when you said pronunciation was trivial and inconsequential?) Scientific botanical nomenclature was created to enhance gardeners' ability to identify and communicate about plants. And communication -- not “correctness” -- should be our ultimate focus.

Thanks for including the lovely photo. What a beautiful place to live!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Plant Pronunciation, Part 1: People Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
thank you onewish1 2 Jul 25, 2011 3:05 PM
Very interesting, very funny. lortay 8 Jul 28, 2011 8:51 AM
Entertaining candyinpok 1 Jul 25, 2011 8:38 AM
Hoykera...smile Marcia1 3 Jul 27, 2011 10:31 AM
Hose-ta or Hoss-tuh? Procrastinator 8 Jul 28, 2011 11:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America