Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What do you look forward to after a long hot day in the garden?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 162 votes:

Shower/bath/hot tub/swimming pool?
(43 votes, 26%)
Red dot

Any take-out food. I'm not cooking!
(4 votes, 2%)
Red dot

A big cool drink; iced tea, lemonade, other.
(22 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Icy cold watermelon, peaches, cherries, etc.
(1 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Taking garden photos to compare before and after views
(7 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Sleep, blissful sleep
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

AIR CONDITIONING!
(68 votes, 41%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(14 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

We don't get many long hot days here, although this year we've had several days in July touching 30 C. In voting for air conditioning I'm referring to my previous home in Devon, England.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

When I come in from the garden, I'm looking for (1) A/C and (2) a cold drink, usually either water or D Coke.

pat, I want to move to where you live ("don't get many long, hot days"). That sounds wonderful. It's horrible (as in very hot and humid) here from late June through the end of August.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Other: all of the above.

AC, a shower, no cooking are my priorities.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I almost clicked shower, but figured if I didn't have the A/C the shower would only be temporary relief.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I put on my bathing suit and head on down to the beach, which is 2 blocks away, to wash off, drink some beer and read some trash.
Barb

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Other: all of the above.

Step 1. A cold drink (usually ice water - I keep half bottle of water frozen in the freezer, then add more water when I come in, so I can chug-a-lug; o,r an ice cold bottle of Lemon-lime GATORADE to chug.

Step 2. A/C. By the time I finish chugging, my body temp has dropped, the AC feels like the North Pole, and I'm shivering!

Step 3. Sit down under the box fan until I'm dry -- no need for the shower yet, 'cause I'm NOT finished.

Step 4. Go back outside to take those garden pics!

Step #6. NO cooking! Grab something fast and cool!

Step #7. Repeat Steps 1-5 while drawing a cool bath.

Step 8. Finis!

Linda

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm so glad air conditioning was invented!

http://www.ehow.com/about_4692055_was-air-conditioning-invented.html

My 36 year old Carrier is still going strong!

Other:

1. Ice cold beer
2. Nice cool shower
3. Take photos
4. Order Chinese (on speed dial!)
5. Fall asleep on sofa.
6. Wake up at 4am!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Other: a nice hot dinner to warm up with!

Resin

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Other, for all of the above.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Air conditioning and a cold glass of ice tea!!! Our high today was 101. Tomorrow it will be 104. So I need the A/C baaaad!!!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

With temps over 100 from mid-May thru September, A/C is a must, along with ice water and cool showers.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Bud in a bottle on the deck. Perhaps two. No AC needed in this neck of the woods.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

1. AIR CONDITIONING
2. A big cool drink of water
3. Shower/bath
4. Take-out food. I'm not cooking!

in that order :)

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Air conditioning, tall glass of cold sun tea, then a shower. Oh, and a nap!

Dayton, OH

I voted other because, I do all except, I don't eat the watermelon, or peaches, or take photos that much.
I also like watching Cheers from 3:00 - 4:30 PM I know that wasn't mentioned, but I really enjoy watching this show.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2011 8:11 PM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Naps are heavenly!

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Grab a glass of Lemonade while I walk over to the AC to turn it on (fridge is first on the route), then pick up a cold dinner from our supermarket deli!

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

It's just been hot..hot...hot here in Midlands SC. Too hot to mow, the chickens are feeling fried, my potatoes are chips now. The tomatoes are loving it though. Everything else is drying up.

My potatoes are just blooming - I planted them rather late cuz my knee was still healing and I couldn't get down to plant until mid June.......

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Other: I immediately go to my stack of menus for places that deliver, jump in the shower, and by the time I get out, the doorbell is ringing.

Boy you have quick delivery! Ours is approx 1 hour, and I don't suppose you're in the shower that lon LOL

Kansas City, MO(Zone 6a)

I said shower-a cool one, but I suppose it's really a/c first. I am glad to see Honeybee say their Carrier is 36 yrs old-mine is 23 and does just fine. I do admit I like the heat so unless it's 100 F+ (like it has been) I just run the attic fan. LOVE my attic fan! Cools the room down AND lets me have my windows open. I hate having to keep windows shut. Since June though, I've had to have the a/c on. With the humidity, our heat index has been awful...even for me.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Quote from Cindy_Rae :
I said shower-a cool one, but I suppose it's really a/c first. I am glad to see Honeybee say their Carrier is 36 yrs old-mine is 23 and does just fine. I do admit I like the heat so unless it's 100 F+ (like it has been) I just run the attic fan. LOVE my attic fan! Cools the room down AND lets me have my windows open. I hate having to keep windows shut. Since June though, I've had to have the a/c on. With the humidity, our heat index has been awful...even for me.

Cindy Rae...I am from KCMO also. I can relate to the high humidity that is there. Cold winters and brutal summers.

Kansas City, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Moxies! We do get it all here! This past winter we actually broke our record cold at -12 and yesterday we broke our record high at 107. Glad you moved?! Tornadoes, cold, hot...you name it ha! I live right in the little 6a area on the zone map and have the weirdest weather here. Tornadoes actually go around our little neighborhood since we're so low, but we see them going by sometimes. It seems strange to me how the rest of KC gets slightly different weather..rain, tornadoes, than we do. One of those oddities of nature I guess!

Windham, ME(Zone 5a)

I am thinking we are missing a choice for voting and that would be ;all of the above !!!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

lol Jujul I'm with you there friend. Ice cold beer,(or glass of wine) a quick shower, hubby takes out or grills, I sit in A.C. and have another ice cold beer (or glass of wine), relax on couch, sleep, wake anywhere from 1 to 4 then start it all over again.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

All of the above!
From humid, hot, steaming, broiling, smoggy Cincinnati,
Pat

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Other: a cool drink, a shower and no cooking. Then sleep. Almost 'all of the above'. Pictures later.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I can't wait to clean up because of my allergies. Once I've showered, I'm ready for bed.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Quote from Cindy_Rae :
Hi Moxies! We do get it all here! This past winter we actually broke our record cold at -12 and yesterday we broke our record high at 107. Glad you moved?! Tornadoes, cold, hot...you name it ha! I live right in the little 6a area on the zone map and have the weirdest weather here. Tornadoes actually go around our little neighborhood since we're so low, but we see them going by sometimes. It seems strange to me how the rest of KC gets slightly different weather..rain, tornadoes, than we do. One of those oddities of nature I guess!

Cindy Rae> I grew up in Plaza/Westport neighborhoods. We didn't see a whole lot of tornadoes right there, but I also lived in Paola, Coffeyville, and Manhattan. 10 yrs combined there. My little truck has 5 tornadoes worth of hail damage on it. I just left Manhattan in early 08. Traded it in for Upstate Carolinas.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I might have chosen differently in the past, but I have an even greater appreciation for AIR CONDITIONING since ours died during one of our recent 100 degree days... it was fixed by sundown, but boy oh boy were we complaining by then! I feel very fortunate that I can go to the thermostat control and, as my Grandma said, "just push a button!!" to make the house comfortable. Grandma also used to say that the "good ol days" (which my uncle in particular loved to extoll) weren't always so great... and central heat/air was definitely one of her favorite modern amenities!

College Park, GA(Zone 7b)

After I cool down from the AC, then I get into the shower to relax and afterwards with a good cool drink. More AC.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I am so thankful to live in a temperate region, I cannot abide heat much over 80 (I know, I'm a wuss) and prefer low 70s. I don't know how you folks function in the more extreme areas. I guess indoors with AC from the comments. Stay cool.

College Park, GA(Zone 7b)

We have had a couple days triple digits, believe me it is surely something you don't want to experience.

Kansas City, MO(Zone 6a)

I've always lived in the same place-same house even, so I guess I'm just used to it. Besides, I really do like the heat & don't usually run the a/c except for the hottest week or two each year. We've had a hotter summer this year though, like everyone else. Our 100-110 or so started in late June & has been pretty constant since then, causing us to run it lots more than normal . I like hot, just not the high humidity we've had...when you feel like you're swimming through the air! My husbands parents live in Olympia, WA. We visit every year-which I enjoy, but I always freeze, even in July! Seems like they're one of the very few places in the country that hasn't had a scorching hot summer. Still, I'll take the heat and use my a/c when it's too much! :) It is finally cooling off though-only mid 90's for the next few days & maybe some rain(Fingers crossed!).

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

What do I look forward to? How about winter?

Dayton, OH

Winter? I'm not ready for that just yet

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I can understand that. Your winter is not my winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.