Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: What do you look forward to after a long hot day in the garden?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 48, Views: 423
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin
Schenectady, NY

August 1, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8729648

There are a total of 162 votes:

Shower/bath/hot tub/swimming pool?
(43 votes, 26%)
Red dot

Any take-out food. I'm not cooking!
(4 votes, 2%)
Red dot

A big cool drink; iced tea, lemonade, other.
(22 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Icy cold watermelon, peaches, cherries, etc.
(1 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Taking garden photos to compare before and after views
(7 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Sleep, blissful sleep
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

AIR CONDITIONING!
(68 votes, 41%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(14 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Previous PollsA big thanks to Pirl for these voting Booth suggestion!

patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8729663

We don't get many long hot days here, although this year we've had several days in July touching 30 C. In voting for air conditioning I'm referring to my previous home in Devon, England.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8729736

When I come in from the garden, I'm looking for (1) A/C and (2) a cold drink, usually either water or D Coke.

pat, I want to move to where you live ("don't get many long, hot days"). That sounds wonderful. It's horrible (as in very hot and humid) here from late June through the end of August.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8729753

Other: all of the above.

AC, a shower, no cooking are my priorities.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8729838

I almost clicked shower, but figured if I didn't have the A/C the shower would only be temporary relief.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8729845

I put on my bathing suit and head on down to the beach, which is 2 blocks away, to wash off, drink some beer and read some trash.
Barb

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8729890

Other: all of the above.

Step 1. A cold drink (usually ice water - I keep half bottle of water frozen in the freezer, then add more water when I come in, so I can chug-a-lug; o,r an ice cold bottle of Lemon-lime GATORADE to chug.

Step 2. A/C. By the time I finish chugging, my body temp has dropped, the AC feels like the North Pole, and I'm shivering!

Step 3. Sit down under the box fan until I'm dry -- no need for the shower yet, 'cause I'm NOT finished.

Step 4. Go back outside to take those garden pics!

Step #6. NO cooking! Grab something fast and cool!

Step #7. Repeat Steps 1-5 while drawing a cool bath.

Step 8. Finis!

Linda

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8730167

I'm so glad air conditioning was invented!

http://www.ehow.com/about_4692055_was-air-conditioning-invented.html

My 36 year old Carrier is still going strong!
jujul0708

August 1, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8730211

Other:

1. Ice cold beer
2. Nice cool shower
3. Take photos
4. Order Chinese (on speed dial!)
5. Fall asleep on sofa.
6. Wake up at 4am!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8730333

Other: a nice hot dinner to warm up with!

Resin
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8730348

Other, for all of the above.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8730881

Air conditioning and a cold glass of ice tea!!! Our high today was 101. Tomorrow it will be 104. So I need the A/C baaaad!!!
frogymon
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8731698

With temps over 100 from mid-May thru September, A/C is a must, along with ice water and cool showers.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8732080

Bud in a bottle on the deck. Perhaps two. No AC needed in this neck of the woods.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8732230

1. AIR CONDITIONING
2. A big cool drink of water
3. Shower/bath
4. Take-out food. I'm not cooking!

in that order :)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8732823

Air conditioning, tall glass of cold sun tea, then a shower. Oh, and a nap!
roseycats
Dayton, OH

August 2, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8732848

I voted other because, I do all except, I don't eat the watermelon, or peaches, or take photos that much.
I also like watching Cheers from 3:00 - 4:30 PM I know that wasn't mentioned, but I really enjoy watching this show.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2011 8:11 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8732921

Naps are heavenly!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 3, 2011
12:11 AM

Post #8733550

Grab a glass of Lemonade while I walk over to the AC to turn it on (fridge is first on the route), then pick up a cold dinner from our supermarket deli!
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2011
2:16 AM

Post #8733634

It's just been hot..hot...hot here in Midlands SC. Too hot to mow, the chickens are feeling fried, my potatoes are chips now. The tomatoes are loving it though. Everything else is drying up.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 3, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8734092

My potatoes are just blooming - I planted them rather late cuz my knee was still healing and I couldn't get down to plant until mid June...
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8734113

Other: I immediately go to my stack of menus for places that deliver, jump in the shower, and by the time I get out, the doorbell is ringing.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 3, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8734129

Boy you have quick delivery! Ours is approx 1 hour, and I don't suppose you're in the shower that lon LOL
Cindy_Rae
Kansas City, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8734145

I said shower-a cool one, but I suppose it's really a/c first. I am glad to see Honeybee say their Carrier is 36 yrs old-mine is 23 and does just fine. I do admit I like the heat so unless it's 100 F+ (like it has been) I just run the attic fan. LOVE my attic fan! Cools the room down AND lets me have my windows open. I hate having to keep windows shut. Since June though, I've had to have the a/c on. With the humidity, our heat index has been awful...even for me.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8734149

Cindy_Rae wrote:I said shower-a cool one, but I suppose it's really a/c first. I am glad to see Honeybee say their Carrier is 36 yrs old-mine is 23 and does just fine. I do admit I like the heat so unless it's 100 F+ (like it has been) I just run the attic fan. LOVE my attic fan! Cools the room down AND lets me have my windows open. I hate having to keep windows shut. Since June though, I've had to have the a/c on. With the humidity, our heat index has been awful...even for me.

Cindy Rae...I am from KCMO also. I can relate to the high humidity that is there. Cold winters and brutal summers.

Cindy_Rae
Kansas City, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8734208

Hi Moxies! We do get it all here! This past winter we actually broke our record cold at -12 and yesterday we broke our record high at 107. Glad you moved?! Tornadoes, cold, hot...you name it ha! I live right in the little 6a area on the zone map and have the weirdest weather here. Tornadoes actually go around our little neighborhood since we're so low, but we see them going by sometimes. It seems strange to me how the rest of KC gets slightly different weather..rain, tornadoes, than we do. One of those oddities of nature I guess!
nymegen
Auburn, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8734251

I am thinking we are missing a choice for voting and that would be ;all of the above !!!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8734276

lol Jujul I'm with you there friend. Ice cold beer,(or glass of wine) a quick shower, hubby takes out or grills, I sit in A.C. and have another ice cold beer (or glass of wine), relax on couch, sleep, wake anywhere from 1 to 4 then start it all over again.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8734601

All of the above!
From humid, hot, steaming, broiling, smoggy Cincinnati,
Pat
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8734969

Other: a cool drink, a shower and no cooking. Then sleep. Almost 'all of the above'. Pictures later.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8735761

I can't wait to clean up because of my allergies. Once I've showered, I'm ready for bed.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2011
3:52 AM

Post #8735922

Cindy_Rae wrote:Hi Moxies! We do get it all here! This past winter we actually broke our record cold at -12 and yesterday we broke our record high at 107. Glad you moved?! Tornadoes, cold, hot...you name it ha! I live right in the little 6a area on the zone map and have the weirdest weather here. Tornadoes actually go around our little neighborhood since we're so low, but we see them going by sometimes. It seems strange to me how the rest of KC gets slightly different weather..rain, tornadoes, than we do. One of those oddities of nature I guess!

Cindy Rae> I grew up in Plaza/Westport neighborhoods. We didn't see a whole lot of tornadoes right there, but I also lived in Paola, Coffeyville, and Manhattan. 10 yrs combined there. My little truck has 5 tornadoes worth of hail damage on it. I just left Manhattan in early 08. Traded it in for Upstate Carolinas.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8737124

I might have chosen differently in the past, but I have an even greater appreciation for AIR CONDITIONING since ours died during one of our recent 100 degree days... it was fixed by sundown, but boy oh boy were we complaining by then! I feel very fortunate that I can go to the thermostat control and, as my Grandma said, "just push a button!!" to make the house comfortable. Grandma also used to say that the "good ol days" (which my uncle in particular loved to extoll) weren't always so great... and central heat/air was definitely one of her favorite modern amenities!
looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8738270

After I cool down from the AC, then I get into the shower to relax and afterwards with a good cool drink. More AC.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8738405

I am so thankful to live in a temperate region, I cannot abide heat much over 80 (I know, I'm a wuss) and prefer low 70s. I don't know how you folks function in the more extreme areas. I guess indoors with AC from the comments. Stay cool.
looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8738598

We have had a couple days triple digits, believe me it is surely something you don't want to experience.
Cindy_Rae
Kansas City, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8739885

I've always lived in the same place-same house even, so I guess I'm just used to it. Besides, I really do like the heat & don't usually run the a/c except for the hottest week or two each year. We've had a hotter summer this year though, like everyone else. Our 100-110 or so started in late June & has been pretty constant since then, causing us to run it lots more than normal . I like hot, just not the high humidity we've had...when you feel like you're swimming through the air! My husbands parents live in Olympia, WA. We visit every year-which I enjoy, but I always freeze, even in July! Seems like they're one of the very few places in the country that hasn't had a scorching hot summer. Still, I'll take the heat and use my a/c when it's too much! :) It is finally cooling off though-only mid 90's for the next few days & maybe some rain(Fingers crossed!).
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8740015

What do I look forward to? How about winter?
roseycats
Dayton, OH

August 6, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8740027

Winter? I'm not ready for that just yet
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8740041

I can understand that. Your winter is not my winter.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

August 6, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8740076

That's right, I forgot Calif. doesn't get as cold there as it does here. What kind of flower's can and do grow out there?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8740106

At my house, just about anything, as long as it doesn't require humidity (no orchids), can handle some heat (no fucshias), and doesn't require a cold dormant period (no peonies). If you crossed Arizona and Florida, you might get southern California.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

August 6, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8740145

Kelli, I lived in Santa Monica back in the early 60's, but at that time I was busy working, and lived in an apartment, so I didn't get into flower's then. I do remember getting cold at night and early morning, but always nice in the afternoon's.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8740271

Cindy, even my sister who grew up here and now lives just on the east side of the Cascades gets chilly when she comes to visit. I think it is our marine air, different kind of cool than in drier areas. I'm pretty acclimated to the PNW, have to dive for shade and take a couple of grumpy pills in any type of heat - moist or dry doesn't seem to matter. So I've been smiling in my tiny green strip of the US weather map which has been predominantly yellow to red most of the summer for the majority of states.
Cindy_Rae
Kansas City, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8740433

Bonehead-I think I need those grumpy pills in the winter here HA! You do have a different kind of cool there, no doubt about it. I've noticed it just gets colder the closer to the ocean you get too. Then there's the rain-no thunderstorms, just rain. I think it rained the entire week we were out there last month (2nd week of July). Made for a pretty chilly visit! My husbands family enjoys it there though. Most of them have lived there their whole lives so I suppose they're used to it like I'm used to my weather here. Hate the winters though, think I need to live further south!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8741521

"Other" here.

I like to sit down and admire the work, watch the bees, the hummingbirds, the kitties playing while I wind down.

No sense in a shower till I go in for the day (water conservation).

If I go in and cool down in a/c, I will be twice as miserable when I come back out.

Too far in the wilderness for "take out" anything, except maybe taking out a hunk of watermelon to feast on while I admire my efforts.

So, "Other" it is...

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8741845

My little lap pool is on the way to the door, so I drop my dirty clothes and jump in the pool to cool off first. (luckily our back yard is very private) Float around until my head stops throbbing, and watch the birdies and the trees. Then grab a towel and go in for dry clothes and a drink. I repeat this probably 6 times per day, since I can only tolerate about 15 or 20 min. of gardening at a time in the summer. My gardening gets done in little bites.
binkysgarden
Smithville, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8752023

I love to get a cool bath/shower... soak until I get cold. Then get some fresh clothes on and get a glass of iced tea... recoup a few mins... with tv time or pc time with my boys... then off to house work or cooking...lol I love it all!!

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8752299

My garden is just about all dried out now. No more long hot hours spent there. I do have one patch of volunteer tomatoes..they are doing very well. One new patch of corn...they seem to like that spot. And my okra, behind the woodshop. I just check on them all anymore...and, we got some rain yesterday. woo hoo!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America