Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: August, any relief in sight?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 117, Views: 740
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 1, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8729693

New month, new thread.

Overcast, muggy & hot

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8729827

Overcast, muggy and cooler for us. 73 and rainy. We've gotten .25" of rain since last evening and more to come.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8730736

Temps hovering around 100, will be 104 tomorrow and high humidity. Ozone alert today and tomorrow along with Excessive Heat Warning.

Shadow, happy as can be!! LOL. He is a Siberian Husky/Boxer mix.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8730825

Sick of it. Don't want no stinking winter either. ;-)

aww, Shadow has the idea!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8730846

He and his sister Shiloh both hate canoes but love the floaties. LOL.

Shadow, Shiloh and Abbie. Abbie is my dog neice. lol. The dogs are posing with their owners.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8731102

Those are husky eyes if I ever saw them. LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8731519

75/97 Mostly sunny early then some scattered strong thunderstorms this afternoon. Hot and humid. Heat index near 110F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Oh Lou, no words needed :o(

Celia, love your little friend :o)

Pepper, what a handsome guy!! I love his ''tube," LOL!

Mrs Ed, I don't want no stinking winter either!

Pepper, wow, the two dogs are stiking together!!

Abbie is beautiful!

The water looks mighty fine too!

It's going to be hot! In spite of a chance for rain, we watered yesterday. I'm now pulling Spotted Spurge doilies, nightshade purslane and a lot of weedy grasses.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8731975

I let you know that I won't be on Internet for now (cancel)...
So Long everyone! Bye...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8732137

Oh, Rusty, we're going to miss you!!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2011
3:20 AM

Post #8733653

76/89 Partly cloudy skies. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Rusty, we will miss you here. Take care!

DRIVEWAY TODAY!!!!

We are finally going to cool down and the rain has disappeared for the time we need to pour the concrete.
FINALLY!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8735219

Caught one day flu yesterday morning but have mostly recovered today. Sure knocked me for a loop though!! lol. I took advantage of a halfway decent day to pull tomato plants. The maters were starting to rot on vine so pulled the ones that could be saved and threw the rest for turtles.

Yesterday we broke a heat record from 1984 with high temps of 107. The old record was 104. Today a cool front is working its way thru the area so we only reached 90s for a high with a small breeze. So today was bearable. Chances of rain later on and most of tomorrow.

Pic of the Elk River from the canoe. This was before we hit all the party crowds. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8735301

Pepper,
I'm glad you're feeling better!

Your picture of Elk River is beautiful-almost breathtaking, in fact.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8739136

H O T ... only the weeds seem to be doing fine. And it's too hot even in the morning to weed!

117 degrees, miserable.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8739182

High in the low 90s. Rain this morning then humidity shot up. Overall not bad.

One of my tomatoes that I managed to save.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8741498

Tough news this morning.
We lost our dog Wu about 3AM last night.
Heart Attack. She had been a little puny the last few days but nothing out of the ordinary.
Haven't got her papers handy but she was 11 years old I'm pretty sure.
Most Shar-pei of her generation passed on at about 5 of a genetic condition.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8741627

So sorry. I have lost several dogs in my lifetime and every time it is like loosing a dear friend. My final solution has been to get a puppy when the present sweetheart is getting on in years. Sort of overlap. Always have two dogs at one time. I know your pain and share it with you.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8741658

Awww Ric and Robin,
I'm so sorry to hear about your buddy Wu. She was such a special, smart dog.

Please convey our thoughts to Robin, too. (((R and R)))

Deanna
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8743058

So sorry to hear about Wu. Hugs to you and Robin!!

This morning and early afternoon it was hot and sunny like it has been. Stopped by Walmart and while there a big storm with a major punch rolls thru. Lots of wind, at times 90 mph, hail and heavy rain. Well, with that combo everyone was eventually sent to the back especially since we had no power. Finally managed to leave after storm rolled thru and all along the highway there were signs down. We get home and we have limbs everywhere and one big one in the driveway. All in all the damage here by me was mimimal. A small town 30 min east of me got hit with 90 mph winds and quite a bit of damage to trees and homes.

Now temps are in the mid 80s and cloudy again. Still have a chance for more storms.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8743652

69/83 Through 11am: Light rain. The rain will come to an end around 7am. Becoming mostly cloudy with temperatures steady near the low 70s. Then the chance of scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Pepper, Elk River is beautiful! So sorry to hear about the one day flu. Sheesh!

Awesome size on that tomato!! I had to throw my first ones too :o(

Aw Prissy, I hope you've cooled off a little by now.

Ric, huge hugs for Wu. That's pretty tough.

Wow Pepper! We had wind and a bit of rain Saturday night, but nothing like that!

The driveway is done, but we need to put the yard back together. So, we're leveling and filling now. First we had to pick up chunks and get them out of the way. We've taken the dirt piles down quite a bit already!

All torn up!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
4:01 AM

Post #8743654

First truck.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
4:01 AM

Post #8743655

First third done on Wednesday.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8743657

Finished, with curbs!

Thumbnail by billyporter

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8743934

I can already see a terrific landscaping about to commence. So proud for you that it is finally accomplished.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8744201

I can, too! How great is that?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8745371

Driveway looks great!!

/temps were pretty decent today. Only reached 80s and humidity was down.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8745389

Sally,
Roger and I went through this about 6 years ago. I know it's a big, big mess-for quite some time- but it will be "oh so worth it!!!" You will just love that concrete drive, and wonder how you ever managed without it.

I'm surprised to see curbs on the sides. Is that to direct water run-off away from the house? Watch out for the curbs when you're doing snow removal!

Are you going to plant driveway beds?

Sue,
How long does Tim get to stay home this time?

Don't you just love the fair? It's such a great experience for the twins too, I'm glad you're allowing them to experience this.

How's your plant business coming along?

Pepper,

My tomatoes are coming on strong and I can't believe the number of huge ones this year. Several of them just exploded so fast that the bottoms have split, but there's no BER that I've noticed. I've started picking them a little green and that seems to take care of the splitting.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8745562

Glad they are doing great for you!! I've already picked all mine and left the peppers out there to keep going. Was hoping to save my yellow squash but the bugs killed the plant so that's done. Sweet potato plant doing good it looks like though.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8745989

65/83 Through 10am: Mostly sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the upper 60s. Mostly sunny. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.

Lou, yes you do! We filled in the left side, and I filled in the right side yesterday. DH worked hard at lifting a little sidewalk and designing a new water sluice at the end for any water that doesn't go down the driveway. We have a 50 gallon barrel buried and the boards on top are rotten. Time to make new ones. He's standing at the beginning of the sidewalk.

Thanks everyone :o)

Sasha, we already love it! The curbs came about because the yard ended up a lot taller than the driveway. We've shaved it off and are making a gentle slope down to it. We knew it would be low, but how low, was a lot! They suggested curbs and they really helped! And yes, they will direct the water :o)

I make too many trips across the driveway, so I won't be planting along side it. It's tempting, but no.

Pepper, it's such a shame to lose your garden.

We got to babysit at our house Sunday. I just got done mowing and had a washrag bath and changed my clothes, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8745991

All of us :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8746277

What a joyful group. Makes my heart sing...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8746411

I'm with you, LouC. I don't post here as often as I used to but, I read every word and love all the folks here.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8747557

Mid 80s for a high with lower humidity. Sooo nice!! Tomorrow will be high 70s with chance of rain.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 9, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8747750

Cool here tonight. 61.
Nice relief, but not good for growing.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8748340

109 again today. Next even days predicted the same. NO RAIN
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8749465

Our high was around 80 today and our lows will be back in the 60s. No rain today but it was cloudy til early afternoon.

Went out and pulled weeds from around my pepper plants. Need to weed whole bed and get ready for fall planting. Just gotta decide what all I can and want to plant. I am gonna do radishes for sure. Maybe carrots if I am able to this late in the year.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 10, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8749738

Beautiful day here. Sunny 75 no wind, low humidity. We do need rain, although we can water anything in our garden. We are watering pickles so far. Good crop on Monday, picking again Friday.
Strawberries are going nuts. 20 pints today!
This was Sunday's picking. Had 18 pints on Monday.
Here's link to my thread on these.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1175007/

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 10, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8749740

OK, this is why this cat is in the picture.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8749926

56/82 Sunny with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 70s. Plentiful sunshine. Winds light and variable.

Lou and Celia, my heart is definately full!

Pepper and Bernie, good weather here too.

Lou, I've been praying for the South. I can't imagine how awful it is. It sure dashed any hopes of having a good summer.

Bernie, gorgeous berries and beautiful cat family!!

It's going to be another day of working on the dirt piles. What was to be my good dirt is still full of rocks. I'm fishing out what I can for the top layer of dirt before we grass seed it.

Thumbnail by billyporter

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8750122

Prediction is for over 100 again and again and again...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8751085

Low 80s and suuny today. Rain coming tomorrow. Low temps to last for the forseeable future. Not normal for August but not complaining!! I need to take advantage of it this weekend and weed my garden out. I want to plant radishes and carrots for fall planting.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8755323

63/81 Through 11am: Mostly sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 60s. Lots of sunshine. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Lou, I feel so bad for you. I put myself in your place and I don't think I could handle it without being depressed. That is too hot for too long and it affects so much. I pray that this is not a weather trend from now on.

Pepper, My other garden is filling up with sorted dirt and I was hoping to Fall plant too. Oh well. Next year.

The right half of the dirt pile is sorted, moved and raked flat, Yahoo!

Thumbnail by billyporter

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8755669

That looks like such good rich soil. Here in North Texas we have a base of caliche (cement plants everywhere) with about 3 feet of clay. It is a challenge.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8756524

Still decent temps with high around 86. Humidity is up a bit but not unbearable.

A cluster of pots on the deck. That's Heart of the Jungle elephant ear. They all have done really well this summer.

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8756545

Beautiful, Amanda. Just came in from hand watering. Things are dying anyway. Still 100+ and forecast more of the same. The rain skipped around us.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8757529

Well, Hello everyone! I just came to Library and check my email once a week to read all of this!

The weather is getting cool and got some good rain last time...

Went to Dr's last week and got feel better for my tailbone... Took x-ray for my lung and tailbone which it got from the tornado last time (dust in air)... I has go back to this end of August for check up again and see I hope get better...

This week I have to babysitter for my step-son's daughter ( for 2 months) and his girlfriend going to college...

Well, I hope all of you get good weather this month and get more rain again...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8757542

Hi, Rusty!!! Welcome back!

We got some wild weather last night. Not much rain but LOTS of sound and fury! Gusts up to 40mph.

Sunny now and 75.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 15, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8757758

What a beautiful day today. Sunshine, 80, light southerly wind. A day like this would be welcome any day in the summer!
Crew picked pickles this morning. Nice crop this year. We are watering them daily. Lots of muskmelons ripe everyday. We have Super Star variety. Many weigh 8 lbs or more.
Beans went on strike during the hot humid days. They are back like gangbusters now. 4, 4 gallon pails full of yellow ones off of a 80 ft long row. Green are just as loaded.
People love our beans!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8757907

I guess we could say, "You know beans." ^_^

The wind has picked up a bit and the clouds are moving in. 84
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8758337

Rain off and on all day. Nice soaking rain that helps the weeds grow like gangbusters!! LOL Temps in the low 80s.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8759094

59/85 Sunshine and a few clouds. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.

Lou, I'm lucky to have more of a sandy loam in my end of town. Dad isn't the lowest point, but lower than me, and has more black gumbo. It gets hard and has deep cracks when we've had no rain for a long time. As you drive 3 miles east of town, it's blow sand. It's different all over. Your dirt does sound like a challange.

Pepper, your plants look great!!

Rusty, ouch on the tailbone and yikes on the dust in the lungs. I hope you get better!!

You are going to be busy with the little one :o)

Celia, we haven't had an August thunderstorm yet, but I'm ready!! How beautiful!!

Bernie, sounds like your part of the world is going well :o)

We moved the dirt pile off the yard Sunday and DH threw down some grass seed. We think we are done backfilling the areas so we can get grass going.

Now we have a large rock pile to shovel onto a trailor and run down to Dad's. After that, I need to keep raking rocks out if I want to keep more dirt for gardening... and I do :o)

Yesterday we took off for the Iowa State Fair at 6:30 am, got there close to 9:00am and had perfect weather. Thank goodness we were in good shape because it's a lot of walking and standing. The food was good!

Me and the wooden lady at the fair.

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8760052

For those of you not on Cubits our Dear Friend 'sunfarm' (Sally) has entered Hospice today.
Pain management is their goal now on this the final step of her journey.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8760088

Sorry to hear about Sunfarm.

Sunny and warming up again. Mid 80s and higher humidity. Still not bad though.

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8760142

I don't know Sally but that matters not. Will pray that Our Lord is merciful and she doesn't suffer.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8761433

From what we've heard, she is in excwellent hands and her pain is is being managed well.

Thanks, for the update, Ric.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8761942

Mid 80s and sunny for a high.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8762446

61/86 Sunny. Winds light and variable.

(((Sally Sun)))

Sally is our concrete lady. She entered into the field when it was uncommonn for women to do so. She's ''spotlighted'' on Cubits and has had an interesting life.

She's an avid supporter of the CoCoRahs weather.

Sadly, she's been battling cancer for a long time and ran out of options. She's slowly passing away. She'll be missed very much.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8762989

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=De+Soto&state=TX&site=FWD&lat=32.5866&lon=-96.865

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8762994

Eeeeeeek!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2011
2:46 AM

Post #8764157

67/88 Through 10am: Mostly sunny with temperatures rising towards the upper 70s. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.

LouC, that is awful! I feel bad posting my weather. We've not had rain, but we aren't hot either. I hope the weather pattern breaks soon!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8764587

If you click the above link each day it will be updated. Unfortunately, there is no change for the future, same everyday...hot,hot,hotter,hotter,hottest,
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8764633

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20110817-high-nighttime-temperatures-taking-a-toll-on-dallas-fort-worth.ece

don't know if this link will work or not. We have now set records for high temps at night.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8764637

I got the 1st paragraph and then it says I need subscriber content access.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8764850

Sorry. I am a subscriber and when I click on the link it lets me in. Jist of it is, we are not going below the 80's during the night. Normal for this time of year would be in the upper 60's for a low. 16 deaths so far attributed to the heat just in Dallas alone.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8765509

Hot, around 97 for a high. Humid too. Bad storms rolled thru last night. I heard on radio last night from weather service that it had produced 100 mph winds but haven't been able to catch any news since. Saw a cornfield with storm damage east of us about 20 minutes.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8765731

Dang! We're having low 90s to 95 for several more days and 65 at night.

This is what Monty says about the heat.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2011
3:33 AM

Post #8765875

72/79 Partly to mostly cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

LouC, that is not a record anyone wants to break. Hot nights are worse than hot days. I got a subscribe box, but I get it.

Wow Pepper, our weather is so different for being ''close.'' I am so glad it's not rolling thru your place!

Celia, Monty has that right!

We did it! We finished last night. The dirt pile is now a fairly clean, larger, fluffed up pile! This little guy says phooey too!

Actually I was sitting in the adirondack chair with Sneakers, the neighbor's cat, on my lap and the squirrel was still giving his warning call, but without much enthusiasm :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2011
3:35 AM

Post #8765878

A picture of our efforts. It took 13 days to sort rocks from the dirt pile, take the rocks to Dad's, fill the sides in after we scraped the high spots, and get grass to grow. We see little green spears!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8765880

The finished product as of last night!

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8766155

Not so bad in Central FL. We have been staying under 90 each day for a good week now and predictions are the same for the coming week...fingers crossed, and afternoon rains have cooled our evenings down to low 70's. The last two mornings it was 72 at sunrise for my morning walks...so much nicer than 80 something. Humidity still high in the early and late hours but we're used to that. Hearing some acorns starting to fall from the oaks...always a good sign. :)

Thumbnail by sunkissed

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 20, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8766677

Beautiful day here. Sunny & a light breeze. Just like sitting on the ocean beach. So nice I didn't bother looking at the temperature.
Still need rain, it's been 33 days now since last one.

Had a terrific day at market. Our biggest $ day ever!
Fun to be rewarded for our hard work. Lots of comments on how good our things are.

Tonight a couple, friends, are celebrating 50 years of wedded bliss. Big party. The whole family does a lot of partying, so should be a good time. It's at our local legion club.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8766963

Another day at 107 and no rain since February. Celebrated our 50th, June 9th. Used to think that was reallllyy ooolllldd people. I'm not old. Not even 70 yet.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8767062

More storms rolled thru around 3am. Winds were strong enough that alot of people thought we were having tornadoes but the weatherman said it's just high winds. Some damage here in our yard and at few neighbors. Mostly big limbs down. My grandma's corn is ruined and my cannas are knocked down. My mom had black walnuts hit her car so she has dents from them.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8767189

Sorry about the damage, Amanda. Wish we could get some kind of change.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8767205

I've had worse damage so it's not too bad really. Just frustrating when you are trying to keep the trees alive. We are losing 2 more trees this year. I hope we replace them with the black walnut trees we have growing in my gardens. I want to keep the trees just not where they are at now. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8768111

68/83 Through 10am: Decreasing clouds with temperatures steady in the mid 60s. Sunny. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Hi Sunkissed, awesome photo!

Happy Belated Birthday and I love your garden swing too!

We have walnuts falling already. Not a good sign. The squirrels didn't have much to eat last year and might not this year either. We crack a few, but still have a lot in the freezer, so we won't need to pick any up this year.

Bernie, we've been blessed with the same beautiful weather.

You do put a lot of work into your produce and I'm glad it's rewarding!

50 years, that is wonderful! The Legion, yep, a whole lot of celebrating :o)

Lou, ROTFL! First, congratulations to you for your 50th, and no, we are not old are we? I'm just into my 50's.

Wow Pepper, where are your storms coming from?

Losing those big limbs is so sad. It sure ruins a tree. Knocking the corn down isn't nice either. I hope the dents aren't too bad in your Mom's car.

Walnut trees are good strong trees, altho we've had huge limbs crack under the weight of all the nuts on them. I was mowing when I heard one limb crack. It fell downwards so slow I was in no danger of being hit, LOL!

Got two grandkids sleeping in the other room. The oldest starts school Monday and can't wait. His Aunt is going to take him in when she goes to her class to help with a handicapped child. He's disappointed at not getting to ride the bus :o)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8768304

billy, so glad that you have your new drive and sidewalks. I know that will make a huge difference in convenience.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8769434

My squirrels won't have many nuts either if the winds keep knocking them out before they ripen.

Kinda hot, highs in high 80s, will get hotter as week goes on.

Some of my cannas. There is only one stalk standing now due to the storm.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8769498

Pepper, that one is very pretty. Sorry you lost a stalk. That sucks.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8772381

70/92 Scattered thunderstorms, especially during the afternoon hours. A few storms may be severe. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Thanks Lou, it was long waited for.

Pepper, at least it won't kill the Canna, but it sure ruins enjoying any blooms.

It's been busy again. Today I am going down to help my elderly relative pack. She's finally ready to go to assisted living. We were getting her groceries all last winter.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 23, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8772397

Little rain with thunderstorm just went through. Don't know how much, but some nice puddles.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8772570

We will have the same forecast everyday for the next 6-7 days. 95-ish with chance of thunderstorms in the evenings. That would be nice if we could have rain that often but not likely.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8772600

I have Sally's Memory Garden thread ready: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1215597/

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8772609

Thank you, Melody.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8773447

High of 76 today with low humidity and a nice breeze after a low of 49 last night. Yesterday was more of the same. We've had a good summer here since the rain finally quit in late May. Not a lot of rain since then but we always seemed to get some when we needed it so everything is green and growing.

Lou...funny how "old" is relative isn't it?

billy...your driveway project looks great!

pepper...sorry your flowers got wacked. We had heavy hail around this area a few days ago but I was fortunate that it missed me. I have a ton of tomatoes starting to get ripe and would probably cry if I lost those. :-)

I hope those who need rain and relief from the high temps get some soon...

Photo: Big Waves at Presque Isle State Park a week ago.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8773454

Another photo from Presque isle...

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8773458

Houseboats at Presque Isle.

early_bloomer

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8773572

Love the pics E_B!! Did any of you in the East feel the earthquake?

Hot and humid with a nice humid breeze. Highs around 92 and sunny. Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter around 95. Heat advisory in effect til 7pm tomorrow.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 23, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8773770

Terrible day today! 90 with 140% humidity, I think. We were at market & just plain melted. Shirts were wet with sweat all afternoon.
Did have a good market. People are more into canning & eating local grown now.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8774323

Early Bloomer love the photos...so those houses on the water...are they gonna be there if Irene gets up that far????
We have been getting lots of rain each night, lots of thunder and cracks of lightning. Lakes are nice and full...waiting for the Cat. 3 hurricane to make that turn...Turn baby turn...all the way out to sea.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8775283

Hot today with highs in the high 90s and heat index around 107. Cool front has moved past and the cool air is working its way down here. Can already feel difference when I step outside.

Was hoping to get my veggie bed weeded today so that I can get my radishes and carrots planted before it's too late but when I was weeding around my irises in the shade the heat was getting to me. I dead headed some monardas in the sun and that was all I could do as far as outside work. Between the heat and humidity it was just a bit too intense. Hoping Sunday to get out there and get it done.

Hot Lava coneflowers and red salvia that reseeded and came back this year. No complaints from me!! lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 24, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8775538

Nice cooling NW wind all day here. It was fun being outside for a change. A guy came & got 110 heads of cabbage. He is going to make Kraut.
Then we picked some muskmelons. One weighed over 10 lbs. Our scale only goes to 10 lbs.
Workers were pulling onions today. Big Daddy this time. Most are about baseball to softball size.
One picker did green beans. Came up with 5, 5 gallon pails full. Good crop all year long on them.
Should have another big day at the farmers market tomorrow.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8775741

62/84 Through 11am: Sunny with temperatures rising towards the mid 70s. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Bernie, we had a storm blow in without much rain in the end too on Tuesday :o(

Celia, lovely sky!

Thank you Melody.

Early, that's usually how it is here. We get when we are just on the verge of everything dying. Right now we're approaching the verge.

Thanks! I can't wait till the driveway darkens with age.

The waves are awesome and the water looks so inviting!! The second picture is so beautiful and calm. WOW! I love the houseboats!!

Sunkissed, your weather sounds great! How beautiful! Is that close to your home?

Pepper, it was a hot one yesterday!

Awesome combo!!

Bernie, I fell over reading about all those cabbage!! I hope he was getting from you!

I'm so glad your gardens did so well and you have plenty to take. You are awesome!!

The North wind came in for us last night and the humidity was low. It's going to be a glorious day.

Sally Sun, you will never be forgotten and you will be so missed. Rest in peace dear lady.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8777117

Coolish with highs only in the low 80s. Of course I'm stuck at work so no weeding got done. lol

Not the best pic due to the angle of the sun but yesterday I could smell them blooming while weeding the outer edge of my iris bed. Smelled so good!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2011
3:23 AM

Post #8779204

Today will be warmer thanks to Irene pulling our moisture away and humidity, bringing in the warm south west wind. She did give us some nice breezy weather the last two days, since she was only 250 miles off our coast at a Cat.2 or 3.
@Billlyporter, I'm just 30-40 min. from the beach, only inland 26 miles, but all swamp land and have to drive around that. That is the Atlantic Ocean from Flagler Beach, FL.

My pic is the edge of Irene two mornings ago while out for my morning walk.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8779435

That is an awesome and scary picture.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8779948

109 right now. .36 of an inch of rain for the last 14 months. I'm letting three of my gardens go because of water restrictions. It was so dry the ground shifted and three water mains burst. Same predicted for the next 12 months. ug!!!! Had to pull all my sunflowers and set up a drip system under the weed cloth and heavy mulch for the new roses I put in there. Had to have SOMETHING out front!!!! All my veggies except peppers and sweet potatoes have had it and they're looking bad. Even my zinnias couldn't make it!! The plants under my shade house have survived the best and my greenhouse has new little plants that will hopefully go through the winter. I got a dehumidifier and a water barrel for it so that I can turn it on at night when the humidity is usually above 30 and get water out of the air...!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8780006

One of the problems that I have never experienced before is the low, low humidity. No rain here since Feb. and the heat has dried everything crisp. I have lost many plants that had adequate water and were in the shade but the air temps are just too high. Certainly will be a year of records in every area of the planet as to the climate and storms.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8780228

Hotter but still pretty decent. Watching coverage on Irene.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8780469

We heard from DH's sister who lives in NC. She sent a video of the wind and rains. They're okay but lost some siding off their old house. They were in the process of moving to Wilmington from Wallace. Those plans were halted and they went back to the Wallace house to wait out the storm. Ironically, her name is Irene. LOL

95 for our high today.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 8:54 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8780687

62/82 Sunny to partly cloudy. Winds light and variable.

Pepper, I actually stuffed two buckets full of weeds last night. I couldn't stand seeing them anymore!

How beautiful!! I am amazed my phlox is still blooming with no rain.

Sunkissed, smiling. I'm 20 miles from the mighty Mississippi and cross creeks and very low rivers to get there.

I hope Irene is not going to be a problem for you.

Neat picture of the clouds! They look like a storm is brewing.

Prissy, our ground is shrinking and is as hard as a rock. It amazes me that the ground can do that. We think Earth is stable. Boy, it is not!

This not having rain is getting to be scary!!

Lou, I think of you and your weather reports and just pray the South gets rain. We aren't getting any either and we usually do, before things really die.

Pepper, your plants sure look like an oasis :o)

My grass is still green in the shade too.

Celia, I see they hunkered down. I hope their house doesn't get any more damage. I'm sure she's being kidded a lot about her name.

Today is my 35th wedding anniversary. We've been so busy I didn't realize it till now, LOL! DH didn't realize it either.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 28, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8780728

Well, Happy Anniversary!
So-so day. Sun is out, don't know the temp. Wore out from a long hard week.
I am going to do nothing today.
Nephew came & picked up cabinets yesterday, so nothing to do out there for a while!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8780826

Well Happy Anniversary Billy...you know you've been married a long time when you don't even remember it is your anniversary...lol
Prissy and Lou...I really feel for you losing plants because of the drought conditions. I grew up in So. Cal, and lived in El Paso, TX. My father was the gardener in our family and I can remember water restrictions and him trying to keep his roses alive. I still remember the ground cracking in TX and dust storms and tumble weeds blowing around. California we had to evacuate our home several times due to fires. When I first moved to FL in 78 I was so amazed at the everyday afternoon thunderstorms, and almost wrecked my car one day because I was looking up at the huge fluffy clouds in the sky. I still love watching clouds but I do miss the nice dry cool nights we had in California...and no mosquitoes!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8781269

Happy Anniversary. Our 50th was in June and we didn't do anything all day. Children arranged a brunch with several friends on the next Sunday at a really nice restaurant. We tend to ignore all of the "Hallmark" holidays. We celebrate every day in one way or another. Hope you have many more.

Christi
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8781386

70 breezy and delightful this afternoon with clouds and sunshine. Summer days don't get any better then this! 10 day forecast is more of the same.

Happy Anniversary Billy!!!

I'm headed to a pig roast and bonfire!

early_bloomer

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8781917

Happy Anniversary BP!!!

Today was a perfect day really. A nice breeze and really decent temps!! I went out this afternoon to water and ended up weeding my garden finally. All but the weeds behind the peppers and under all the sweet potato vines are pulled. I had several big handfuls and several smaller handfuls of weeds. Plus found out my potatoes did grow so got about 10-15 red potatoes and one baby sweet potato. The sweets are still growing and the vines are still green so they still have a ways to go.

Thumbnail by pepper23

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

August 28, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8782109

Came over to check on everyone. I remember when the weather forum was full of postings when Katrina hit, so thought it would be more active here.

Happy anniversary BP!

Glad everyone is okay here. Will check the other forums. ☺
~Susan
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8782182

Happy Anniversary LouC!

It was 109 yesterday...107 in the shade under my patio!

We finally got some rain. It wasn't much but it did break the 24 day streak of 100 or over. It was actually nice for one short day!

It should start cooling off next week...Afterall it will be Sept. LOL!

Keep Cool,
Jeanne
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8783827

Today was kinda cool. Almost chilly. lol. It's always boiling hot this time of year not cool!! But I will take it!! Rain on the way for tomorrow.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2011
3:15 AM

Post #8784453

Looks like Irene has pulled the cooler air down from Canada. 54 here this morning. Heading for 82.
We'll be heading back into the 90's by Thursday.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8784720

Oh that cool weather sounds so nice...pepper you have been having even hotter temps than us way down here in Florida...in fact everyone has...but takes a long time for those cool fronts to make it way down here.

Early bloomer that fire shot is nice...did you take that? Love the colors, I'm always taking pictures of our fires, we have a fire pit in our backyard...and go camping a lot.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8785747

Temps in mid 80s, humidity up but still wasn't too bad. Tomorrow we hit the 90s for a few days before dropping into the 70s for a high thru the holiday.

Silene Catchfly

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8785838

Took rain out of our forecast. Still 100 or above for who knows how long.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8785988

Well never hit 90 here today, about 88 the highest...been lots of rain each day. Muggy. More the same tomorrow.

Storm clouds over the ocean

Thumbnail by sunkissed

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8786386

64/90 Sunny. Hot. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

I'm behind again :o(

Bernie, thank you!

Sunkissed, thanks! Love the reason for your near wreck. I would be the same way, looking up!

Lou, thank you! yes, we just celebrate every day too. I AM looking for many more!

Happy 50th! Now that is wonderful!

Early, thanks and what a gorgeous fire! I am a firebug at heart :o)

Pepper, thank you! Awesome on the taters! Let me know how the sweets do. I would love to try growing my own.

Susan! Thanks! Come back when you have time. I know how hard it is to have time.

Jeanne, rain, there is hope for Texas!

Pepper, beautiful! I had to pot mine up the other day because we need to lay landscaping stones where they were planted. So far they are doing fine. A few wilty branches, but I'm glad they look so good.

Ric, same weather here.

Sunkissed, another beautiful fire!

Pepper, I love the Silenes :o)

Lou, how utterly disappointing.

Sunkissed, wow! What a beautiful ocean/sky shot! Just beautiful!

I spent yesterday inside, baking pies and watching it rain! We got at least 3/10th of an inch and maybe a bit more. I am so hoping our dry cycle is broken now.

Prayers for Texas to get theirs.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8787611

Hot and a bit muggy today. Tomorrow even hotter,muggier but windier. Then the hot spell is broken and we cool off to the 70s for a few days. Hope to get stuff planted before the heat hits again. And before winter decides to show up early. That would be my luck. lol

Hosta blooms

Thumbnail by pepper23

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8788271

Ok a really wacky prediction path for the tropical mess in the Gulf...but there are some paths that head it towards Texas...so fingers crossed, because it looks like a nice rain maker. We are heading to the beach on the east coast camping in our RV...so we don't want it here, besides we've had lots of rain.

Waves in Florida Panhandle when Wilma was way down by the Keys.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8788552

Wonderful pics you have, SK. I love them.

70 now with 80+ for later. I cna't remember how warm it's supposed to get.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 1, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8788588

New thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217461/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America