Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Martisor: A Romanian Celebration Of Spring: I love your little toys

Communities > Forums > Article: Martisor: A Romanian Celebration Of Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Martisor: A Romanian Celebration Of SpringReplies: 1, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
moonrose777
Topeka, KS
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8730750

I love all your little toys. That is such a charming custom. I'm sure there must be people of Romanian descent in the United States who keep this custom, too, but I have never come across it. That may be because I don't know any one who is Romanian. Do the older Martisor gain in value as they become antiques? I'm thinking your celebration might be similar to our celebration of St. Valentine's Day on February 14th. We exchange cards and gifts with a heart theme and it is a celebration of love in our country. Do you celebrate it by any chance,too? I spent most of my working life as a florist and so many people send or receive flowers it was always a terribly busy time for us. Red roses are the premium flower for that day but almost anything will sell. The roses are very expensive and seem like such a waste of money since they don't last long. I have always preferred a plant but that is just me. How is it that you have such command of the English language? It's so perfect it's hard to believe you don't live here. You should be very proud of that. I'm going to read the rest of your posts now. Thank you for the interesting information. Blessings Gayla

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 5, 2011
2:26 AM

Post #8738080

Gayla, hello again! Thanks for appreciation, I'm overwhelmed! I like very much English and have been learning it since I was 10, first in school, then on my own. My DG friends were my best teachers!LOL
You got that right, Martisor is similar to Valentines, only we get little amulets instead of hearts. We have started to celebrate Valentines too, especially the teenagers find it fun. We also have heart shaped amulets and lately other gifts too, larger than the amulets. The amulets don't gain in value as they become older, maybe those made of gold , silver or platinum...but those are for rich people and they don't represent what this tradition stands for. It's not important how much money the amulet costs, only what it represents and that it has been given as a gift.
I hope my explanation helped. Thank you for reading my article.
Blessings to you too.
Adina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Martisor: A Romanian Celebration Of Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful! kniphofia 24 Mar 29, 2011 9:24 PM
Our first Martisor Caedi25 3 Mar 14, 2010 2:30 PM
Nice phicks 3 Mar 16, 2011 2:37 PM
interesting folk custom irisMA 1 Mar 16, 2011 2:38 PM
Very interesting information sheltie47 1 Mar 22, 2011 3:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America