Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: Too much protien or something else?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 9, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

August 1, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8730760

This is our youngest duck who is now about 1-1/2 months old. His/her wings are going off to one side and one is sticking up. I know too much protien can cause the wings to curl up, but what about them both going off to one side? Our gray duck had his wings curling someon the ends when he was younger so we cut back on the protien and they corrected themselves, but this one has one wing really curling up bad and the other is going off to that same side.

Hope it shows well enough in the pictures.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

smedgekles
Conroe, TX

August 1, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8730762

Another picture

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8730859

if it just started bind it down and keep it down for a month or so. try tying it with gauze as tape will pull the feathers. Some say to much protein causes angel wing so cut back on the protein. Ducks don't need but about 15%. I am not certain but I have my doubts that, that is the only cause. I also think herity can play a part as well. Are they free ranging for grass, seeds, fruits, berries, and bugs???
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

August 1, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8730907

Hi Donna, they have a pen and sometimes we let them out to roam around. I think they need out more though. We have cut back on the protein and will try the binding. Thanks
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8730964

I have a mallard that has the same problem. I just thought that maybe it broke its wing when it was being shipped from place to place because it was a rescue. I also have a Canadian Goose with the same thing. I thought it was a goose thing, but it looks as though it might be a waterfowl problem. There is not much I can do about fixing either of them since they are basically wild. I am giving them the Purina Flock Raiser in addition to what they forage for - so I think they are going to just have to deal with slumming it around my pond...LOL. Those birds ate so much tonight they looked like they were about to pop.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2011 9:25 PM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 1, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8731260

Angel wing is strictly a problem in birds fed by people, so over-nutrition is the main cause. I corrected a young duck that had it by binding the wing down as Donna said. It only took about a week before he was normal again.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8731325

Ti8 Flock Raiser is to much protein 19%. Mix equal parts Flock Raiser & Scratch and can also throw in some sunflower seeds or white proso millet if you want. That what I feed my yard ducks and have had no problems but they free range all day too. I fed them Mazuri Waterfowl Starter as ducklings for about 2 months then over to the FR & Scratch. My Exotics get Mazuri Waterfowl feed, some Flock Raiser, Scratch, & White Proso Millet for a treat in winter also some floating catfish pellets about 2 x a month in summer 2 x a week in winter
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8731555

Donna - You said to feed scratch - is that just the cracked corn you buy in 50 lb bags at the feed store?

I feed them 3X a day about 16oz of flock raiser...that is for 25-27 ducks and geese. We have some come and go so it varies how many come up to get something to eat. We had some goslings just fly in a few days ago and they are not sure what to make of this feeding frenzy that goes on when I'm out there scattering food. They don't quite get what I am throwing out there for the others. I am glad they aren't picking up on it because 10 extra geese on top of the flock I already have will eat me out of house and home. Right now they just are being a little nuisances chasing the other ducks and geese around.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8732409

it is called chicken scratch. it is cracked corn, oats and red milo for the cheap stuff mostly cracked corn. There are better varieties that have whole corn kernals, sunflower seed, winter peas, milos, oats and feed pellets. I forget the name but my feed store calls it super scratch when they tell the boys what to load up. When I get that I add a little extra Flock Raiser to it like about 1 scoop FR to 3 scoops SS. I get it for my chickens in the winter when it is cold. Way to hot to give them corn in summer other than fresh corn on the cob once in awhile.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8732757

Donna- I don't think we have anything like that at our feed store. They have just the name brand stuff that come from the major producers. This store is relatively small and carries mostly hard ware stuff. I will ask if they carry something like that. I do have some cracked corn for the chickens and will mix some of that in with the flock raiser just so it is not so much protein.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America