Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: August...the start of Spring....

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 180, Views: 730
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 1, 2011
9:09 PM

Post #8731222

I know it's not official, but smell the air, it's Spring..
Here is my Magnolia soulangiana...
It's always reliable and the flowers can be enormous at times..
It always reminds me of the Hall of Horticulture at the Melbourne Royal show.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 1, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8731230

We came from July.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194065/
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 1, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8731268

It certainly feels like spring here, at least during the day: around 25 degree maximums for the next week! The mulberry tree is bursting into bud too. Frost is still a possibility until 1 Sept, the latest date for frost remembered here. (And apparently it gave everyone a shock.) Still, I wonder if August--the 2nd half certainly--shouldn't be considered the start of spring here ...

Here's a Buddleja Spring Promise cutting in flower already. It flowers in the first year of being struck, so anyone who managed to strike cuttings from those I posted out should also have flowers. I now have it growing on both the east and west sides of the back garden, so that heavenly freesia fragrance wafts from one side of the garden to the other. There's no other buddeja that comes close to this one so far as perfume is concerned.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2011 2:45 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 1, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8731270

That single bloom on my B. madagascariensis cutting is taking forever to colour up. Shame about the cat pee smell ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 1, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8731278

I am reposting your link, cestrum...it just cost me $15...lol...thanks for the link though.
http://summerhillseeds.com/
That Spring Promise does smell lovely...doesn't it.

I bought 3 pkts of the Bella Abutilons...yellow, pink and I did like the apricot...even though I have that colour...
Jean, I wasn't game enough to look any further...it's very easy to get carried away on a day like this.

Here is Anthony's Aussie Green and Gold...
It seems to have a lot of petals this year...you can hardly see the green...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 1, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8731292

I didn't mean to spend your money for you, Dianne LOL
I've got some seedlings of the Bella series that I hope will grow large enough to flower in summer, although they're tiny now. I should have some leftover seeds in my container of seeds, but they're mixed seeds. I posted that link only because I knew you wanted the yellow one in particular--didn't realise you were going to buy all those colours! Well, we can compare the progress of our seedlings.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 1, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8731305

I must admit, I too am guilty. I just couldnt resist the little dears. I bought the vanilla, yellow and the mixed.
I had to stop looking or I would have bought more. Maybe later.
You know those are going for twice the price on the US eBay .
Lovely daff , Dianne.
Cestrum that white buddlea is so pretty. Mine are just getting going after a savage prune. My large white has to be cut to about 2 foot high or I would never see the flower , it grows so tall.
The yellow is looking really scraggy at the moment but I may give it a prune this year. Bring the top down out of the willow tree.
I planted a new small one this year. forget what color. I must look at the label again.
I am still waiting on my orchids to open. A bit of sun would help.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 1, 2011
10:45 PM

Post #8731327

How funny is that...
Jean, you won't regret it...they really are lovely little plants...and between us we will have all the colours.
Then we can encourage cestrum to cross them and make us some new colours...lol
My Cantua is nearly out so I will post a pic when it is...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 1, 2011
10:54 PM

Post #8731336

Well, I hope mine are Bella seeds because the first batch sent to me weren't ... these might turn out to be 3m giants!
Jean is probably best placed to produce the most interesting crosses because she has many different abutilon species, and most of them should flower in the growing season. But perhaps my bees are more productive :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:28 PM

Post #8731375

I heard a large hint for me to get out and play mummys & daddys in spring. lol
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8731394

But you have to put on your black-and-gold furry outfit first, Jean :-)

Ah, just found the envelope for my abutilon seeds and it turns out that the dozen or so seedlings I've got going are simply generic abutilon seeds, 'growing to 1 metre'! I did sow Bella seeds too, but only 1 tiny seedling germinated from 15 seeds--a terrible germination rate that makes me suspect the seeds weren't fresh ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8731411

As mentioned before I found the short ones beautiful but very touchy and they dropped dead in the Winter (that was a very cold Winter though) My ordinary ones are about 12 to 15 ft tall right now because they missed their Spring prune this year. I found they grow roots in water accidentally when some sprouted roots in a vase of flowers. The tall V.one I got from my sister in law also died in the really cold Winter, but it was quite old maybe they don't live forever. They are more intense in colour in cooler weather like many blooms.
Here is my favourite Camelia (hubby murdered my other beautiful ones ) luckily this one was not in the way of his new shed.
This is the size of a bread and butter plate and looks lit up from within ...of course the picture does not do it justice.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2011 5:47 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:45 PM

Post #8731415

and first Star Magnolia (bit blurry due to wasp scaring me away. :(

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:57 PM

Post #8731420

I had a good giggle then Cestrum, Imagine me in a furry black & gold outfit flitting from flower to flower, pockets full of pollen down my legs. this is not a size 10 person here. More like a size 16-18.
The mind boggles.
I think the flowers would run for their little lives.
Then again I may get fancied by a European Wasp.
Jean ❀ ✿❀ ✿❀ ✿❀ ✿

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
12:05 AM

Post #8731427

❀ ✿❀ ✿❀ ✿❀ ✿ I didn't want to say anything but I imagined Jean running around like fairy sparkles with an artist's brush instead of a wand.❀ ✿❀ ✿❀ ✿❀ ✿

Edited to put link in for Fairy Sparkle
http://www.fairysparkle.com/

This message was edited Aug 2, 2011 6:14 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 2, 2011
12:15 AM

Post #8731433

Don't forget the buzzing--you have to buzz as you approach the plants.
Then there's the little dance afterwards ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8732484

Chrissy, you are the one for the fairy dance. I see you flitting here and there with your wand.
I do use an artist brush when pollinating but I think the dancing is best left to the bees.
If I am going to have flowers to pollinate this year ( aside from BB & GHA) I am going to have to watch the real bees as we have so many here.
As well as heaps of honey bees, we have millions of small native bees. They would fit very nicely inside the flowers.
I will have to check on flowers early and tie the bottoms up.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 2, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8732498

Remember those superb abutilons being bred by a US nursery (Monterey Bay Nursery): http://montereybaynursery.com/plants.php?alpha=A

Here's just one example from the many they have:
http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_meg_victory1.jpg

Should be enough to spur us all on to putting on our furry suits and doing a little pollination dance :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8732595

Cestrum this is a pic of one I have in the garden. It has been surrounded by the geranium maderense but is still putting out flowers. The other similar type in the inside garden has yellow petals under the red calyx..
I must go out and check it because it too is surrounded by other plants. Hubby bought it for me but this one is cutting grown from Hamilton Gardens.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 2, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8732737

That's very pretty, Jean; the other plants must provide a very pretty groundcover around it.
Not sure exactly what flowers mine have as only two have flowered as yet; fingers crossed they all flower over spring/summer.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8732943

Cestrum, the abutilons seem to flower sporadically all year here. I do get lots more flowers in spring but there seem to be some flowers on the bushes most of the year.
Went out to get this pic of the other narrow abutilon
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8732950

While I was out there, fought my way in to get a few of the other abutilons. .
I love this one and so do the little honey eaters. It is growing next to the lounge window , so I can see them as they flit around doing their acrobatics to get at the flowers.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8732959

The dark orange. I also have a lighter orange somewhere in the jungle.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8732966

This one is mostly a cream with pinkish edges but there are a few mostly cream on the plant at times.
I also have a white and a few lighter pinks. I really should get some growing out in the open where they can be seen .
Originally the cottage garden was going to have the abutilons along the back with smaller cottagy plants in front.
Plans dont always work do they ?
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8732970

Both are lovely, Jean.
I think the first one is Vesuvius: see http://www.kartuz.com/pc/50041/7RFPA/Abutilon megapotamicum Vesuvius.html
Problem is, other websites list it as Abutilon x hybridum (i.e. not A. megapotamicum): http://pss.uvm.edu/pss123/tpabut.htm
And some websites show the yellow form as Vesuvius too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/metadatician/2708178543/

That second website is an educational one that is part of a course, so I guess it carries the most weight.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8732976

Dianne, you will love this one. I found it in the cottage garden . A nice surprise. A closer look and it is like one double growing in another double. Very pretty.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8732978

All the larger abutilons came from cuttings from a dear old lady who loved her plants. Sadly she passed on and her garden is totally gone so I am lucky to have these. Her original plants were quite large and a lot better cared for than mine. Probably over 15 years old or more.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8732983

That's the way a lot of older-style plants are saved, Jean: by people (often passers-by) who take cuttings before the garden is demolished to make way for a new development.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8732990

Cestrum, the first one of mine is more orange veined with red and the second is yellow veined finely with red , so not like those in the link
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8733006

Yes, I am a compulsive nipper of bits everywhere. . My correas I have are gone from where I got the bits, all the abutilons are gone from both places where I also got those bits. Lots of plants are now gone so I guess we plant nippers do a good job in saving things. My white brug is one of those saved too as I am sure the parent would have died by now.
Hubby walks ahead of me in any public gardens as he knows I am going to find something to go in my pocket.
He blames my larcenous ancestors for my habit.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8733048

I think that abutilons might have the same ID problems as brugs! They hybridise readily and I suspect that those with a similar appearance might end up being called 'Vesuvius' ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8733088

Lol I agree !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 2, 2011
10:42 PM

Post #8733496

I am not a nipper, I go armed with a tiny pair of secateurs, they fit into my pocket...especially in public gardens or the Zoo...mind you the last bits were B.Knightii last year and the Sanguinea a couple of months ago...I thought that I was retired, from that sort of thing, so I blame all of you Brug nuts for encouraging me to a life of crime...lol

Two of my Vireyas are in flower at the moment...this pink one, looks like a bonsai, it is so gnarled in the trunk...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
11:32 PM

Post #8733530

Dianne, you are a nipper, just an upmarket one with tools . LOL...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 3, 2011
12:03 AM

Post #8733545

A premeditated nipper, perhaps?
Better remember to take those secateurs out of your pocket before getting on a plane!!

This message was edited Aug 3, 2011 5:04 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
12:21 AM

Post #8733560

Opportunistic, rather than premeditated...lol
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 3, 2011
12:26 AM

Post #8733563

Definitely premeditated , Cestrum. She went out with the secateurs in her pocket with intent to nip. lol

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
1:09 AM

Post #8733599

That's not nice, Jean...just because I always carry them in the car...lol
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 3, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8734780

Tell you a secret , Dianne. I have some in the car boot too, plus gloves.
You never know what you may come across.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 3, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8734846

I don't use the car; I have the dog!
We've taken some *long* walks together :-)
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

August 3, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8735717

I'm a pro nipper as well...gloves,secateurs,plastic bag,marker pen,labels...my boys are so embarrassed when I stop the car, knock on door and ask for cuttings (never been refused) if no ones home I snip anyway,after all I've never been refused.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8735767

Mya, you would be the queen of the nippers...the complete nipper...I takes me hat off to you...
I pity the boys though...mine used to get embarrassed when walking with my mother, she wasn't very subtle when she nipped...like half a branch she would drag home..lol

cestrum, there is nothing to nip on my dog walks around here...all the houses have either Pittosporums and Box hedges,
Native grasses, dry gardens with cacti and succulents or a Rose garden...

Small blocks, all house...mine's about 50.50.
Jean, I forgot to say how pretty that Daffie is...I love the doubles.
Nice, bright little Osteospermum..

This message was edited Aug 4, 2011 3:50 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 3, 2011
11:37 PM

Post #8735843

Here's a curiosity, flowering for the first time: Dombeya ianthotricha.
I bought it last August and swear that it has the same number of leaves (3!) that it had then--hasn't grown in size at all in a year. Yet it's put out these two delicate blooms. Don't know what the gold speckling is, but I was afraid the fragile buds would break off before opening. It's generally grown for its coloured foliage, apparently.
I hope at least one of my other two dombeya species will flower this year.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
11:47 PM

Post #8735846

How beautiful are those buds...what are the other species,you have, cestrum?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 3, 2011
11:53 PM

Post #8735847

So lovely Cestrum. I would say the gold speckles are the pollen by the look of it. You should check and save some for when your others open.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 4, 2011
12:11 AM

Post #8735851

Looks like pollen grains ...that is a pretty colour :)
Yes save the pollen.
I have a tiny bud on the second prickly Hibiscus cutting ...I can see the colour starting to show in the first bud. It's a pretty shade can't wait to see it bloom. I suppose we should be taking the buds of these poor little things so they can grow but how irresistible is it to wait for the first bloom to open.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 4, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8737293

This has just come out in a pot full of assorted bulbs that John brought up. Anyone know the name? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 4, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8737340

looks like my arum palestinium What are the leaves like. Should be like the callas. Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 4, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8737348

Sorry, forgot to add pic of mine.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 4, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8737405

Yes, the gold dust is pollen. Not sure I can collect it without damaging the delicate flowers so think I will just enjoy the novelty of the blooms.
Chrissy, the parent plant of your hibiscus is forming flowerbuds too, so it must be just about time to bloom ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 5, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8739331

Yes I look every day and the colour of the first bud is darkening.

Well the clouds are closing in again but I grabbed a couple of pics ...not really flowers but just as pretty,
this is my favourite the cluster is almost the size of a bread and butter plate. It goes a bright jade colour in warmer weather but the cooler times it is the darker colour purple red.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 5, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8739337

this one is pretty too and now quite large and multi clustered despite nicking bits for sharing (from Sue) about three years ago.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 5, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8739359

And a Brug seedling of mine opening up this morning

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 5, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8739442

Lovely succulents and Arums...
Have a look at this Camellia, it is Desire.
At the very top you can see a little white one, have to wait until next year to see if it's a sport or just a one off.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 8, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8745490

Cassia didymobotrya, which has not stopped flowering since it set its first flowers as a seedling!
Just as well I planted some, because the parent plants by the local shops have been cut down.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 8, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8745493

Here are those pansies in the hanging basket, planted in autumn. It's taken this long but they're finally starting to grow and put on a decent flush of flowers.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 8, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8745565

The Cassia is pretty, cestrum...good thing that you saved the seeds...

I like the Pansies, I always grow Jolly Joker, which is an old one, but I like the combo of orange and purple...I only have a couple of flowers out at the minute..
I don't grow many Tulips, mostly they don't do well the 2nd year for me.
These are first season...lovely and bright.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2011 1:53 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 8, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8745624

Those cold-climate bulbs often do well only in the first year in temperate gardens, and the tulips do like the cold.
That ruffled one is particularly pretty.

As you can see from the photo, I now have my own store of cassia seeds! It's always a bit sad when plants get cut down, though. I wonder if the candlenut trees, which grow in the same area, will be next. They've already tried to poison the thunbergia but it's proving hard to kill!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 8, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8745639

Are they clearing the area for some reason?...development perhaps?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 8, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8745695

It's on the edge of a large parcel of empty land, paddocks I call them, which will eventually be developed. Don't know if this was the first step in clearing the land of vegetation or whether, perhaps, they were regarded as a nuisance by the owner of the shop nearest the stand of cassias. At least the candlenut trees provide shelter for the parked cars (one of them belonging to the shop owner) so perhaps they will be spared for now.

Here's that dombeya again, showing how small a plant it is.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 8, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8745711

When I dug out the cestrum hedge in early autumn, I threw the branches onto a heap on the ground. Since then I've noticed a few green branches among the dead ones: some of those lying on the ground have taken root!
It's always the things you don't want that strike most easily ...

This message was edited Aug 9, 2011 2:01 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 12, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8752817

I bought this sprouter from the local nursery. There are actually four trays that stack on top of each other, but I'm using only one of them. I sowed (?) the alfalfa seeds 6 days ago, and they've grow quite well. (Although I believe that, contrary to popular opinion, alfafa sprouts are not the healthiest of sprouts.)

Now I'm already thinking about the other types of seeds I could germinate in it ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 12, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8752921

Yummy, I love fresh sprouts. Used to do them in jars years ago.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 12, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8753003

I remember hanging up the stockings and waiting till they grew...the Alfalfa sprouts that is..
Then I tried Mung beans...never again..lol

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 12, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8753183

What's wrong with mung beans? I thought I might try ordinary beans myself. But it's the non-edible variety that has piqued my interest.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 13, 2011
12:03 AM

Post #8753223

Mung beans make lovely bean shoots, cestrum...if you have seen Blazing Saddles, you can guess what else they make...at least they did for me..maybe because I ate them raw..they don't affect me in stir fry.
I like alfalfa in a sandwich.
What about sunflower seeds?

What are you going to do with non-edible bean shoots?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 13, 2011
12:10 AM

Post #8753224

Ah yes, the explosive effects of beans LOL
Non-edible seeds is what I meant. I'm thinking it might be a quick way to germinate last year's surplus brug (mainly apricot) seeds to see if any are variegated or interesting in some other way. Sown in the bottom layers of the sprouter of course, so they don't drip on the edible sprouts at top.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 13, 2011
12:44 AM

Post #8753227

That's an interesting thought...logically there is no reason why it wouldn't work...clever you.
When you grew the variegated one, did it show up in the cotyledon stage?
Or with the true leaves?

This message was edited Aug 13, 2011 6:55 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 13, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8754061

I can't remember, alas. But I take your point: how long will they have to grow after sprouting? Hmmm, I guess I'll just have to do it and see.
I need an easy way of germinating a large quantity of seeds and I definitely do *not* want to have to peel them. Because peeling a large quantity of seeds is not easy. Summer should be the best time to try this experiment, as the 24-hour warmth will speed up the process.
Shame they're not edible, because then I could kill two birds with one stone ...
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 15, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8757983

Now I am waiting for fresh peaches from my mini trees. So pretty in flower...

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 15, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8758043

Spring is everywhere in my garden and here is one of my orchids in flower. At last !!!
Hubby bought this one in flower for me about 6 years ago. It has finally decided to flower for me.
I have another with 3 spikes that flowered last year and another with one spike. I have not seen this one flower as it was given to me early last year.
I live in hope of seeing all the others flower one day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 15, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8758144

yay Jean you have orchids blooming ! congrats :)
Dianne I love apple blossoms ! mine are still just bumpy sticks here, even Jean's place is warmer than mine so far. I think.
The weird thing though is the black bamboo is sprouting a month earlier than usual ?
I must try and get a picture this morning, as I have a couple of free hours and I see some sun out there ...
cestrum fresh seeds don't need peeling just a spot check for the seed. I am sure yours are just fine.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 15, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8758803

Found another double daff in the garden. I must remember to pot them up so I can keep them along with the liliums. This one has more of the trumpet showing..
From what I read about Van Scion and its odd habit of having different types of the double flowers. all mine may well be the one type.
I dont see any green on mine though, which Van Scion is supposed to have in various shades
Very pretty though. I am now looking to get a white double for next year.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 15, 2011
11:53 PM

Post #8758869

Karen, that is a lovely colour...
Love double Daffs, Jean...there are so many pretty ones.
I hope that the rest of your Orchids behave themselves as well...that one is lovely.

I had been trying to send this pic all morning...
It's a Cercis" Avondale"...I bought it when it was about 15cm high at a market about 3 yrs ago.
So it's grown a bit since then.
It's a pretty thing and when the flowers fall, the leaves that come on are heart shaped...

Apple blossom is lovely too, Chrissie...my Nashi has pretty white blossoms too..I don't have an apple...the Nashi is a bit easier on the jaws..can't wait for my Sensation pear to flower, maybe this year, maybe not.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2011 5:57 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 16, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8760265

This is a very pretty Ranunculus...it's pale mauve with an deeper edge...
I always lose the corm and when I find a pretty one, I only have it for one year..
I must be more diligent in my after care...If I can see the corm..lol

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 16, 2011
9:49 PM

Post #8760623

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ Spring is here. You wouldnt think so if you were out in that awful wind , but we do tend to get it each August. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪
The blood plum blossom is lovely at the moment.. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ The nectarines and peach are close behind , as is the quince.
♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ Jean. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 16, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8760626

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ Viburnums always do well here . ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 16, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8760627

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ My first always early epi. Harald Knebel. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 16, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8760629

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ Dianne, & Anthony, here is a very pretty small daff. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 16, 2011
9:53 PM

Post #8760631

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ My hellebores . ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 16, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8760633

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ Just bought this 2 years ago . Very pretty. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪
For beautiful hellebores, have a look at Post Office Farm Hellebores.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 16, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8760662

Jean, it is so dark here but your flowers and your music have brightened things up..

I have bought all my Hellebores from Post Office farm..they have a tent at the Macedon rare plant sale every year and I always come home with one...
Love your pink Daffy...

My Donut peach is starting to flower...I think of the conversations that I had with Brian about it when it flowers...time has flown Colleen...

First Bearded Iris to flower...don't know what this one's name is but it always flowers first.
I am watching out for the one that had a different blue flower on it...it might do the same this year too..
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 16, 2011
11:16 PM

Post #8760684

These are more remnants of winter rather than spring flowers because they've taken so long to colour up. You can see the true pink flower of the variegated shrimp plant and the russet brown on the green shrimp plant. Both still small plants but the variegated one is much less vigorous than the green one.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 16, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8760685

Couldn't resist another photo from the hanging basket :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 16, 2011
11:22 PM

Post #8760691

Cestrum, I have had the yellow and the orange shrimp plants for quite a few years. They tend to be a bit spindly but always have flowers. The cold doesnt seem to bother them as they are in the shadehouse among the ferns. They are both around 3 foot tall and tend to lean over everything. I may try them in a basket . Must get a few different colors later.
I did have them in the garden but they didnt like all the wind we get.
Jean.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2011 5:23 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 16, 2011
11:33 PM

Post #8760696

Mya grows all her shrimp plants in baskets, so they should do well that way. My orange shrimp plants are still cuttings and so haven't flowered (haven't even grown!), but the yellow ones (once they start) do seem to flower pretty much continuously (although mine grow outside). The frost hasn't bothered them although they're near what can only be called the skimpiest of canopies.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 23, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8773682

Jean, look at this little cutting: it's a sprig of the small pink/white salvia that I placed in a little water in the kitchen exactly two weeks ago: it has started to grow roots! Interesting, eh ...
My friend pointed out a taller pink/white salvia (perhaps 2 to 3 feet high, depending on where in the garden it's growing) that she says has germinated from the seed of this small salvia. It must have cross-pollinated with some other salvias in her garden (she has quite a few). She's given me some seeds so I'll try and remember to post some to you when I send off your brug cuttings later in spring.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 23, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8773764

You know cestrum I used to read years ago about things growing roots in water but it never really sank in.
Due to being quite busy withy other things in the past couple of years I have accidently found that most things will root in water on a window sill.
It's amazing and I am intending to try a few different things shortly.
The one that truly surprised me was the frangipani vine cutting (since gone into the garden and has survived the Winter. :)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 23, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8773826

You know, I'm not that surprised by the frangipani vine ... it actually strikes quite readily in soil, so sort of makes sense.
I shouldn't be surprised by the salvia either, as they are generally easy to strike too. It's just that my friend just lets this one self-seed in her garden and I don't think she's ever bothered to take cuttings of it.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 23, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8774069

Cestrum, that salvia is so cute.
love some of the seeds, thank you.
I learned accidently about rooting all sorts of cuttings in water.
I used to be always gathering cuttings from my gardens or friends then putting them in a bucket of water. Months later, I would finally get around to them. They nearly always had roots.
I find that a lot of my plants especially salvias, will root easily and sometimes quicker , if just stuck in the ground next to mum.
Not wanting to leave the nest syndrome. lol.
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8775038

Another pretty daffodil.
I am finding a few that have not had flowers before, so are a nice surprise this year.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8775042

Another

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8775044

This little one seems to have light streaks on the petals.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8775047

Love the jonquils too. I have about 5 different ones from all yellow to all white and some with different colored trumpets. This is a pretty one .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8775049

The wallflowers are coming out. They self seed every year so I always get a multitude of colors.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8775056

No flower, but I had to show you this aeonium ? It is the biggest I have ever seen. It is at least 16"-18"across.
I have some of the usual size ones but this is enormous. .
It is the way it grows as the whole plant is large. This is not just an odd stem.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 24, 2011
11:30 PM

Post #8775624

That's Aeonium undulatum, I believe, Jean.
Not the commoner more familiar A. arboreum which has smaller rosettes and a multibranched habit and comes in purple forms.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 25, 2011
1:31 AM

Post #8775651

Hear is a long plant from the north, jade vine

Thumbnail by Gena1234

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 25, 2011
2:03 AM

Post #8775653

Outstanding :)

Tropical wisteria, lol

surreal colour...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2011
2:20 AM

Post #8775656

That is gorgeous Gena, thank you for posting.

Is that first Daffy, white with a cream trumpet, Jean?
They are all very pretty aren't they...
That Aeonium is a big lad..
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 25, 2011
2:20 AM

Post #8775657

The lovely big white lip tree frog, he is a darling sleeping and good for our gardens live.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 25, 2011
2:23 AM

Post #8775659

Salamander ... not shore tho on the name

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2011
2:24 AM

Post #8775660

How unusual is that white lip?...he is a lovely fellow as you say..
Do you get many different sorts of frogs, Gena?.

It's a Solandra...the golden chalice vine...I've grown them here in Victoria too...

You were close..lol
Dianne.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 8:28 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 25, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8776741

Thanks for the ID Lucas. I have many succulents of all shapes and sizes. Mainly from the local tip before it closed. They are a great fillin and nothing worries them , not even a frost.. I do have the smaller on but this one was a surprise as it got bigger and bigger.
I find that a lot of my succulents stay green in the cold then turn redder as the warmth arrives. This aeonium stays green.

Beautiful Jade vine Gena.

Yes Dianne, the daffie is white with the cream trumpet.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2011
10:59 PM

Post #8777423

Not a flower but we all know what spring brings in addition to blooms: weeds.
Have a look at this prickly monster--that's a normal-sized garden fork beside it, not a toy. It managed to get this large by growing in a neglected corner of the garden that's awaiting a makeover. Not one you want to touch without leather gloves, even when carrying it by the roots. (Or rub against--goes straight thru material.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8777424

I bought this last year, labelled as Dianthera nodosa, aka Justicia nodosa. Turns out it's actually the common yellow shrimp plant, which has now become established in my garden. What a shame; I was really looking forward to the distinctive pink flowers of the Dianthera: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1168650/?hl=dianthera

So apologies if I've given you cuttings of this plant, but we were all fooled :-(

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2011
11:04 PM

Post #8777426

Finally, a lemon grass seedling. You can see the plume of seeds on the parent plant at right. I didn't expect seedlings given the dry (and frosty!) winter we've had, but somehow several have managed to germinate around the parent plant.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 25, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8777428

Cestrum, I can send you even larger ones if you like. Even some with spotted leaves
They do tend to be sneaky and grow behind something so you never notice them until they rear up over you. when you poke around in odd places.. LOL
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2011
11:11 PM

Post #8777429

The Velthemia that I bought for $5 at the Botanic gardens sale a few weeks back has flowered.
This bird from the Reject shop is identical in colour...
Couldn't resist pairing them up...

Colleen, my Dahlia cuttings have started to grow...I forgot which pot they were in and thought that it was a Lilium then the leaves started to unfurl...
I don't know which one it is because I clumped them all in together..
Have a look at yours...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2011
11:42 PM

Post #8777437

That's an offer I definitely *can* refuse, Jean ;-)
Lovely bit of colour coordination there, Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
12:17 AM

Post #8777447

Now Cestrum, they are free and very fresh, hardly touched by hubby and the thistle spray LOL.

Still waiting on my velthelmia flowers to open fully Dianne.
Love your bird. .. I may spray all my brolgas pink too. looks pretty.
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8778959

zygo buckleyii looking lovely.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8778961

Another new daff out. I love the flat trumpet. This is only about a half size daff compared to the bigger ones.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8778965

This is my variegated leaf seedling clivia.
Nothing fancy compared to some I have seen on the net, but a start for me to breed from.
Most flower orange but this was from yellow seed so I am hoping it flowers yellow.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8778966

Wayne, some of the seedlings from Alan Searles seed. They are looking very good.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8778968

More of my clivia seedlings. Note the lovely wide leaf one in front. I hope it does even better as it grows.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 26, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8778972

Wow a variegated Clivia!!
Nice plants Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8779118

Jean, I had used up my memory card and so couldn't take any more photos, but there were some interesting two-toned apricot-orange clivias at the Glebe Garden Club festival today.

Here's Wanda Wirth's stall. I made a beeline for this as she has the most interesting non-commercial plants available. In previous years she's had a selection of brugmansias--double brugmansias last year--but this year she's concentrated on another genus of plants.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8779120

The Aloe Aloe stand.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:04 PM

Post #8779121

Another stall. Although I took a photo of it early in the morning, I had other things to attend to. By the time I was free in the afternoon, it was raining so I never got to look around in here.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:07 PM

Post #8779122

Dombeya ianthotricha, from Carol Kerkin's stall. She gave a talk at last year's festival--a really engaging person and enthusiastic gardener.

I bought my dombeya from her last year and I don't know anyone else who sells them. In Australia. Although there must be someone somewhere ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011

Post #8779124

Dombeya calantha. I haven't even heard of this dombeya, but Wanda had it for sale.

A Google search finds that it is a synonym of Dombeya burgessiae, which I am growing from seed. Hmmm, will have to do some more research ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8779127

Justicia guttata 'Fruit Salad'. Another one from Wanda's stall.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:14 PM

Post #8779128

Here's the label on that justicia.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8779129

Porphyrocoma pohliana (aka purple shrimp plant). Another one from Wanda.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011

Post #8779130

Great pics Cestrum. I wish I had been there.
If you ever see any clivia seed around , let me know. I am after any named seed to eventually breed with mine.
Love the color of the dombeya. I have never seen one before.
No markets like that any where around here sadly.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8779131

Label for Porphyrocoma pohliana.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:19 PM

Post #8779132

Hi Jean, I've got some treats for you!
Or maybe *torture* might be the word, given that all you can have are photos!!

The genus that Wanda has concentrated on this year is salvias. At least half of her stall was made up of them.
You could plant an entire garden with the variety on offer.
Here's just a sample.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:21 PM

Post #8779133

More from Wanda.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:22 PM

Post #8779134

More salvias from Wanda.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8779135

Yet more of Wanda's salvias.
Jean, you'd better go and have a cup of tea and a lie down LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8779139

Jean, that pink and white salvia from my friend's garden is apparently Salvia coccinea.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8779141

Here's the label. Apparently it's an annual. You wouldn't guess it from my friend's garden because of the way it self-sows.
Wanda says that it does cross-pollinate readily, so the seedlings can be in different shades of pink/white and of different heights.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8779142

Salvia 'Coconut ice'. I don't know if this is a common salvia, but I thought it was very pretty.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:30 PM

Post #8779143

The label.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8779144

Salvia 'Timboon Red'.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:35 PM

Post #8779146

I've tried to post the image of the label for Timboon Red twice already.
Third time lucky ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:37 PM

Post #8779147

I *really* like this one because it was so unusual: Salvia confertiflora, from Carol Kerkin's stall.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:40 PM

Post #8779148

That's it for the salvias.
I found this at Wanda's stall: anyone know what species it is?
You can let Wanda know on her Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grandmas-Garden/118201654869402

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8779150

Um, I don't actually use Facebook myself but Google found Wanda's page for those who do.

This stall has a good selection of tube stock. Last year they had trays of Michelia champaca in tubes--I just wish I'd found them several years earlier because by that stage I already had three champacas in my garden.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 4:44 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:44 PM

Post #8779151

There are some very pretty ones there...they are an amazing species...

Last year one of our Brug fanciers bought some very pretty doubles...I remember a lemon one in particular..can't remember who though...do you remember if it was this seller, cestrum?

I love plant markets, you never know what you will find..
Those Dombeyas are something special aren't they...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:45 PM

Post #8779152

More of the tubes.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:48 PM

Post #8779153

I don't remember, Dianne. But last year Wanda did have doubles (grown from seedlings, illustrated with her own photos of the brugs in flower).

This is from another stallholder whose name escapes me. He said it was a 'perennial nasturtium'. But it looks like an ordinary yellow nasturtium to me, although very pretty in a hanging basket.

That's it for now--have to rush off and do some things ...

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 4:50 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8779882

The tropical hibiscus display.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8779886

The native hibiscus stall. And here ends the tour :-)
There was more but my memory card was full.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 6:34 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8780024

Cestrum, you are one mean lady. You know I want all those plants.
Well, not all, I do have a few . I am lucky with salvias because there is a lady who grows only salvias on a farm near here.
She has hundreds and is always buying more from different breeders.
I can get any I want there, I have been to her place and it is wonderful when they are all in flower. She has some that grow as tall as her house.
I wish I lived near markets like that one though. They are such fun to browse through arent they ?
That nasturtium may be called perennial because it self seeds. Mine do and they are fantastic for covering bare spots.
Love the allium flower, but I havent a clue as to species.
Thank you for the lovely tour.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8780071

Jean, your local salvia lady beats my once-a-year garden festival!
My nasturtiums self-sow freely too--sow them once, you've got them forever--but the man was insistent that it was 'perennial'. There are perennial varieties, eg a small yellow called Tropaeolum peregrinum. See here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/868/
But this looked just like an ordinary nasturtium.

BTW, which salvias (of those shown) do you have?

Dianne, I forgot to say that there were dwarf abutilons. I saw people carrying them but, by the time I got to the stall, they'd sold out. My friend bought 3--for $5.50 each! I'm sticking to my seeds :-)

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 8:53 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8780087

Cestrum, I have Sierra Pink plus that Raspberry at the back of the pic, bethelli, which is the same species as the Coconut Ice in the pic.
I have a few of the coccineas. There are quite a few.,some are annual.
I do like that confertifolia but it is frost tender so may not grow here. I will see if my salvia lady has one
I couldnt read all the labels but I did see flowers that look like some of mine. I never knew there were so many salvias around until I got a few of my own then went looking.
This site is great for pics and info on them even if it is in England.
http://www.robinssalvias.com/blue/default.htm
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 27, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8780271

These are the only two Lanterns opened out of hundreds of buds on mine ...all chopped right back as instructed by the Fire Dept.
OUCH !!!! I guess they will grow back better than ever but the Spring show is now gone.
cestrum I agree with Jean you are one cruel gardener waving all that stuff around :)
Exploring Nurseries was my favourite Sunday thing to do once ...thanks for all the lovely pics.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8780386

Cestrum , did you buy any of the mini lanterns from that site we were all looking at ? I think Dianne did.
Mine havent arrived as yet and I wondered how long any others took.
i do know it takes a while from overseas, but not this long.
I'll wait until later in the week then get in touch with them.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 27, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8780402

Chrissy that deep pink lantern is very pretty...sad that you won't get your Spring show...but you can compensate by taking your cuttings...and they will be a good size when you move...
Did your compost arrive this weekend for the veggie garden?

Oh those Hibiscus, cestrum they are so beautiful...
I wonder how Allan is getting on..they were his passion before he moved...
You have so many plants, do you grow Hibiscus too?...
I know that you have the native ones...I didn't know that they came in Pink...mum had the Apricot and the Yellow...

Has anyone received their Abutilon seeds yet?...seems like a long time ago...

Just saw your post Jean...I was wondering the same thing...
I just checked and I sent my payment on the 2/8.

Here's my Donut peach...bees everywhere...

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 2:06 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8780416

An interesting selection of abutilon blooms, Chrissy. It is a shame, but they will grow back better than before. Me, cruel? (Evil laughter ...)

Here are the first flowers on my green (non-climbing, non-variegated) abutilon, not sure if I have a proper name for it. Also not sure if the buds will open up or stay closed in the typical Chinese Lantern fashion. The variegated leaves in the background are from another abutilon which has yet to flower.

Ladies, I have not ordered from that nursery and so can't tell you how long postage normally takes.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8780422

Here's an unusual native hibiscus I bought yesterday: Hibiscus insularis, aka Phillip Island hibiscus. I saw a hedge of it in a presenter's Brisbane garden on the ABC gardening show, although I won't be able to grow it that way. A curiosity, really.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8780432

Dianne, I do have a few native pink hibiscus, pictures of which I've posted on these forums (see http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7753037 ). And now I have a few more :-) What's interesting about this native one is that, in contrast to my native pink hibiscus with prickly green leaves, this one has soft grey leaves. Frustratingly, I think it's just labelled 'native hibiscus' or 'Alogyne'. Jean, does your Alognyne have these lovely velvety leaves?

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 1:52 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8780449

No Cestrum, my purple alogyne has still mid green leaves which stick to you when you are diving among the branches.
I did have a pink with the softer lighter leaves but I see it has died off. I will have to pull it out. The leaves were similar to the lavatera.
I wonder why it died .
One of the lavateras did the same thing. Just started dying branch by branch. I have had several shrubs & trees do that here.
A large golden wattle, some hebes, a mealeuca and a few others over the years. It seems to just happen and has no effect on any surrounding plants.
In fact, I have taken a few dead branches off a plant which then went on to grow perfectly well.
Weird.
Dianne, I just checked my book and I bought my abutilon seeds on 8th of this month.
Not really such a long time , it just seemed like ages. I have had seeds take up to 6 weeks from overseas. It just seems long.

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8780539

I'll have to get that hibiscus identified when it flowers.
Meanwhile, look what's in flower on the western side of the house, my native Hibiscus heterophyllus 'Abbeys Tangerine' (or 'Abbys Tangerine'). The flower is not as strong and luscious as it was in previous warm-weather blooms.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8780540

Full-on view. It's a prickly one, though.
That's why it's recommended for planting along property boundaries :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 27, 2011
11:05 PM

Post #8780550

It's beautiful cestrum...I knew that you had peach/apricot ones...but forgot about the pink..
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
11:19 PM

Post #8780553

It's never been this particular (i.e. light) shade before--it looks more apricot now. I'm sure it will darken in warmer weather. I forgot to say that apparently this is one species that is a better plant when grown from cuttings--bushier and more freely flowering. Read more here: http://www.hibiscus.org/species/hheterophyllus.php

It's a balmy day here after yesterday's rain and the backyard is now awash with the perfume of the port wine magnolias. But look what I found on one of the champacas: a ripe seedpod. Must be from an early-autumn flower. Of course, I've had ripe seedpods for a few years now--hence all the champaca seedlings in/around the brug pots--but they were all from my no. 1 (oldest/biggest) tree. I think this is the first seedpod on this (no. 2) tree.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 4:26 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 28, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8781809

Here's my second batch of sprouts: fenugreek. They smell a bit pungent so I'm not sure if I'll be able to eat them raw or will have to stir-fry them ... would be a shame because the purpose of growing sprouts is to get that concentrated nutrition from the raw sprouts.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 28, 2011
11:20 PM

Post #8782321

That is a very interesting link for the Heterophyllus...such a valuable plant..who knew?
I used to grow fenugreek, cestrum...but I think that I ate them before they had a leaf...the leaf was a bit bitter...you are bringing it all back to me...

Good luck with your Champaca seeds...
Here is my Michelia "bubbles"...lovely big fat buds and a sweet perfume...the new one in all the nurseries here is M."fairy"..
Very pretty too.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 29, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8783769

I've stopped buying Michelia figo cultivars as I reckon three--plus my seedlings--are enough! BTW, I won't be sowing the champaca seeds so if anyone wants to try growing them, let me know. ('Try' as in 'try them in your climate'; the seeds should germinate readily.)

Dianne, not sure how I could eat the fenugreek sprouts without leaves because they would all still have their seedcaps? I tried them for the first time (in a leafy salad) and they were OK--not as bitter as expected. This sprouter is excellent, btw: it makes the process so easy. One of the few gadgets that really is as good as it's claimed to be! I'm using only 3 of the 4 trays so far: fenugreek on top, alfafa (2nd batch) middle; brugs at bottom (more on these in the brug thread).

This message was edited Aug 30, 2011 10:21 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 29, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8783856

Here are those abutilon buds--they look like Vesuvius or a cross thereof. Yet to mature fully.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 29, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8783859

Here's another abutilon flower about to open: pure orange this time.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 29, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8783862

One of the good things about growing nasturtiums is that after just one growing season they've self-seeded and hybridised--this seedling has splotches.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2011 11:17 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 29, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8783869

And this one is a pretty apricot/peach colour.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8784495

The bud fell off Abbys Tangerine here but after all that poor little cutting was being optimistic, both little plants are budding up again already cestrum.

What interesting things you have got going on in your garden, I do like my nasturtiums too, they get very mixed up and interesting.

Loving the Bubbles too Dianne.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 30, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8785429

I just pulled out a bunch and snipped with a small pair of scissors,cestrum...But if they don't bother you then fine...
What about trying the Brugs on the top without the lid once they shoot?
I would imagine that there would be a fair bit of moisture coming down from the top 2 trays.

BTW I was reading yesterday that the perfume on Champacas is second to none...that's a big statement ...do you agree cestrum?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 30, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8785596

Yes, having the brugs on the top layer would reduce the humidity ... but it would also mean the water from them running down over the lower trays of edibles: not something I'm prepared to do! We'll see how the immature corkless seeds go but after that I'm leaving the sprouter for the edibles: they are so quick and easy to grow this way.

The champaca has a light, fresh, fruity fragrance that wafts. It doesn't smell anything like the M. figo. But--not the superb perfume that you keep reading about on vendors' websites. I wonder if someone somewhere (overseas) is growing a champaca with an exceptional perfume that is now being attributed to them all? (Just like the Buddleja madagascariensis, which is described even in my UK buddleja book as having a good perfume, but mine smells of cat pee.) The champaca scent is quite lovely but not 'second to none'. (Photo is from last season.)

It could be like the cananga--perhaps has great staying power (and concentrated fragrance) when distilled into a perfume?

This message was edited Aug 31, 2011 9:17 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 30, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8786032

Lol cestrum...I didn't want to poison you...keep your sprouter for your edibles...

The person who's opinion, I wrote about...also suggested that M.maudiae...was a fine plant with larger flowers and a similar perfume...I haven't seen this in the nurseries at all.
Our local nurseries including Bunnings seem to concentrate on more colourful Magnolias now..such as
Elizabeth and Vulcan...I tried Elizabeth a few years ago, but when It grew I thought that the flower colour was insipid...so I never bought another, perhaps if I went back to that house it might be really beautiful now.
I prefer the old Soulangianas for perfume and reliability...and of course all of those that were the Michelias...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 30, 2011
11:05 PM

Post #8786226

I've been burned so many times when buying plants described as fragrant in the nursery only to find, when they eventually flower for me, that they are barely fragrant and sometimes not at all. So now I tend to buy such plants only when they're actually in flower, esp. the michelias. (They'll always be michelias to me, despite the constant changes in nomenclature!)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8786228

Simmer the blooms and the perfume is identical to the essential oil. (Champaca). You can see the oily slick on the water.
Lasts for days too. I know because I did it with the blooms you sent me cestrum. It was wonderful. Yes I was surprised too.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 30, 2011

Post #8786229

I thought you did it with the cananga (ylang ylang)?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011

Post #8786230

Is that one a tall one ? it looks like my 15ft one (well it was 15 ft.)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8786232

Yes I did it again didn't I ...the yellow one in your picture, oh dear I really need some sleep ...the Joy perfume one.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 30, 2011
11:14 PM

Post #8786233

The abutilon? About a foot tall, all of them. They should start growing in spring--tomorrow!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011

Post #8786234

Yes Ylang Ylang ...I have the Essential oil ...you would think I would get it right ...wouldn't you.
Why do I keep mixing those up? ...oh well. In the oil it smells like banana a bit until it warms on your skin ...perhaps that is why I get confused, Perhaps in very hot humid climates the perfume may be more pronounced.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 30, 2011
11:20 PM

Post #8786236

Ylang ylang (Cananga odorata): yes, that's the one I thought you distilled (shown below).
It's pretty humid here in summer!

Strangest thing is that as I was walking down the street last week, I swear that I could smell its perfume: identical to what I smelled when my tree was flowering. But it was the wrong season and there wasn't a cananga in sight. (Not likely to be in that area, either.)

This message was edited Aug 31, 2011 4:21 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011
11:38 PM

Post #8786255

I wonder if we will ever find out what that was...hmmm.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 30, 2011
11:44 PM

Post #8786260

I've never smelt ylang ylang in my area before--other than from my own trees. So that's a first.
But that other elusive smell--that lemony perfume--that I've noticed in previous springs but been unable to track down hasn't started yet.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 31, 2011
12:00 AM

Post #8786267

Get the Bloodhounds out...it's almost that time again...I wonder if you will locate it this year...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America