Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: rotted center

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 1, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8731925

Hi Jeremy, How art thou?
And thank you for the clarified instructions. And for the memories with mom and the carrot tops. This is a photo of a pineapple that the center rotted and I was going to toss in the compost pile but to my surprise it grew from the side.

Thumbnail by wormfood
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9213450

Hi, wormfood. Glad I could bring back a few memories of childhood gardening!

The pineapple bromeliads are actually very sturdy little buggers, from my experience. I lost a lot of my "pineapple plantation" (consisting of about 10 plants -- LOL) in the severe winters of 2009 - 2010, but the nice part is, the plants are easily replaced by buying another fresh pineapple at the grocery store.

I generally just pull off the few bottom rows of "leaves" around the core stem, stick the plant in the ground in sandy soil in my garden and let it grow without much further care. As you noted, even if the center browns out, dries up, or rots, the pineapple stem will often send out a "pup" from the side.

Enjoy!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America