Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Central Midwest Gardening: Aug. 2011 dry and hot, like July still!

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 147, Views: 929
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8732338

It's supposed to be 108 today, they said on the Noon news! If it does it'll be a record.
Here is a pic of my waterpond in progress. It looks refreshing but if you got in it you'd be filthy!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8735258

Sorry to hear about you're dog Polly, Crit.
What do we have here?! A hijacker of sorts?! I don't know what it is, I was wondering about White flowers in a dark red Rose pot! Upon closer inspection, I realized it was a separate plant with way different leaves. My guess is an Ohio Buckeye tree, but thats just because I don't have any other guesses!! : ) Maybe happ will know, I got it from her!! Happ, are you out there?
Anyway, it's kinda pretty!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8735274

Leaves look like the Ohio Buckeye but the blooms aren't close from what I can see from pics. My guess is a weed.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8735317

Thanks Will.

Water pond is looking good !!!!!!!!!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8735357

It looks like a white cleome to me. They are nice plants. Look good with roses. Get pretty tall (36"). Have big stickers on stems when mature, so be careful if you pull it out. Will re-seed prolifically. I like them.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8735360

It does now that you mention it birder. I have a feeling that might be it.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8735431

Thanks for doing that link, Pepper.
Thanks Crit. Oh, spray the pump out? No, I haven't done that yet. The pump is still working today, so I think everything is gonna be okay with it for awhile.
Do pumps come apart pretty easy to be cleaned?
White Cleome eh?! I've never heard of it, but I've never heard of a lot of things! They look good together huh? I think I might just keep it in the pot and plant them all together.
I did some White foundation painting today!! I've done roughly 1/4 so far, the front, oh joy!!
Here is that White Cleome plant in the Rose pot again.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8735780

Will,
My pumps don't come apart, but where I can turn the water speed slow or fast is where I would get some crud in them. I just pulled out what I could, then sprayed it (be careful or it will spray you back) to clean it out some.

I have some white/pink cleome. Never grown it before, but I like it. It was one of the things I ws'd.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8736063

It is cleome and a flower that LOVES hot weather. They do reseed hence why you got one in the rose pot. I have pink, purple, and some that are more white than not. They won't even begin to grow until it gets hot. Will, the rose still looks really pretty but you better get that rose planted because it will need to anchor into the ground before the freeze thaw thing happens according to the rose guy. The pond is looking better and better each time you post a pic.

Summer seems to have flown by and I know August will fly by, sure doesn't feel like I got much done again this year. Have tons to plant but so hot and dry afraid to do that.

Seeing that I don't have any time I was thinking about doing a fall garden...rofl. I have never done one before.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8736460

I haven't seen any crud in the pump, but it's prolly full of it in there, I'm gonna find out.
Happ, I have a place underneath an arbor here, but I tried digging a hole for it a couple of days ago, and the shovel sparked!!
Thats just a funny, but the ground is as hard as a rock!! I'm hoping for rain soon and I'll go ahead and dig that hole, otherwise I'll have to find a way to deeply soak it with water.
But I might leave that Cleome, it seems kinda nice. Thanks happ, that pond is coming along, I find something to do on it every day it seems. Here is a photo of it from yesterday. I think I just took out some patio blocks out from underneath some rocks yesterday. Boy, I hope it rains soon!! Like my concrete frog?! It's banged up, I used to use it to weigh down stuff in the bed of my former pickup and to chock the tires, mostly. When it wasn't in use, (most of the time) it was sliding around the bed getting banged up!!
Will

This message was edited Aug 4, 2011 11:42 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8737034

When DH dug the grave for my Polly, he went down probably 15 or 16" and it was dry way down there!!!!! He had to get the pick out to break up the dirt. No way he could do it with the shovel!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8737058

That looks like a pretty big concrete frog there. :-)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8737325

Will, one of the volunteers at PG once told me that when it rains that's when she goes out and digs holes in the garden. That way the ground was soft and ready to go when she was. LOL.

The pond is looking good!! When you do plant the rose plant it deep. Don't hesitate to bury it some. They like that. I try to do that with mine but I hit clay pretty quick and am not strong enough to mess with hard clay for my roses so I cheat and bury them in mulch. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8737399

That is a big frog, it weighs about ten lbs.! I'll get that Rose vine planted soon. I have a spot all ready for it, I'll post it after this post, a good spot I think, we'll see. I also see now I might have a pink Cleome! Anyway, there is a pink flower! Thats what I do if I have too, like I did last year for the Bamboo trench, break out the pick. Then I'm afraid the pick head thing is gonna fly off when I'm swinging it and hit a neighbor! Digging a hole for a beloved, deceased pet stinks, then putting the pet in it stinks even more. I buried my cat of 11 years in Nov. 09', that stunk too.

Thanks Pepper, I'm still bragging on the pond! I had my friend just now come to the computer and watch a short video clip (with audio) I made of the pond and the water trickle, which she loves the sound of water, she was all smiles and appreciative. Thanks Pepper, I'll try to remember to plant the Rose deep, sometimes I think I don't plant deep enuff, then the plant suffers!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8737400

Heres where I plan to put that Rose plant, here in front of this arbor. That stream is dried up, it usually is, but about a month out of the year there will be a little water in it. And then 2 or 3 times a year it can be a mini-creek after a good rain.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8737440

Good spot for it.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8737447

I made a Youtube video of my waterpond if anyone would like to see it and hear it, it's only 36 seconds long. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfFOvOo5_c8
Will
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8737451

Thanks Pepper, I hope that spot works out, that'd be neat.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8738167

FYI: When planting rose bushes, you need to keep the crown above the ground. Pick a spot where they get at least 8 hours of sun a day for the best performance. After a bloom, or when pruning, go down to at least the first 5 leaf stem to cut. Cut at a diagonal inwards towards the bush. Prune the canes so that they are facing outward as there needs to be air flow within the bush. You can leave the stem buds that are on the outside of the cane. They need about an inch of water per week. Hope this helps!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8738170

oh ya... a little more:

Use a soaker hose or water close to the base in a trickle. Don't let the dirt splash back up onto the leaves. You can develop black spot and possibility of other disease if you splash it. Mulch then to prevent splashing from the rain. Use the Bayer 3n1 Rose care every 6 weeks to help with fertilizing, disease control and pest control.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8738863

Thanks Crit. That is a bunch of good info. If I don't keep the crown above the ground I'm gonna be in trouble! Oh, the spot I picked out gets lots of sun, I want lots of blooms!
I don't know if I'll be able to do the Bayer though. I'm hoping this plant will learn to get tough on it's own. Thats kinda my theory on some of my plants, at least until it looks like they're bumming, then I'll do something.

I went out there to do dig the hole for the bush and was I ever surprised! I thought, "oh, this is gonna be perfect digging, it rained good last nite"! I went out today and everything was wet. I thought, "oh, this is great, everything got watered and I'll be able to dig". Well, I got my shovel and put my boot on it to drive it in the "soft" ground and only the surface got wet from the rain!! I was like, "oh, this is great!". So, I just poured a bunch of water there and I'm going back out in a bit to see if I can dig that hole for the Rose bush. I didn't know it was so urgent, I am gonna be in trouble if that bush don't make it till next year.
Will
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8738962

Well, I got the hole dug and the Rose planted! I'll train more branches on the Arbor when they get a bit longer, likely in a couple months. It's like a sigh of relief after stuff gets planted, then not so much worrying about overwintering and watering and of course, carrying and my hording collection gets smaller! lmbo!
Will

This message was edited Aug 5, 2011 4:30 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8739195

I don't do anything for my roses except mulch and sometimes water. They are happy so far. lol. Really suprised they are thriving in this heat without much supplemental water.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8739518

Now I think I'm gonna get a White Rose to go up the other side of the Arbor! That cheap $5.99 Harbor Freight Arbor just doesn't seem to do it justice! My most expensive plant is growing in nothing but mulch, (well, Pine bark), speaking of burying you're Rose in mulch, Pepper. It has NO soil in it. For a plant and a planter thats so big, it's still plenty light enuff for one person to carry.
And, it's hardy that way, it has always been outside for the 8 years that I've had it.

Hehe! See the little solar Cardinal bird in the planter? It sings every time I water the Dwarf Eastern White Pine 'Nana', or just walk by! It has a photo eye sensor motion detector, it wags it's tail, works it's beak and sings!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8740337

Will you are in luck with that rose. It is a tuffy. Other than the first year I planted it I never did anything to it. It blooms on old and new wood and has survived my horrible winters up here so it will think it is in the tropics in your protected back yard. It just needed to get to settled before winter started. I probably wouldn't fertilize it this late in the year cause it would be probably be 3 or 4 weeks before alot of new growth started and then we would be heading into fall and who knows could have an early frost. I bloomed pretty well for me on the east side of the house and probably only got 4 or 5 hours of sun, so if it gets more it should be a happy camper, course it also had a giant clematis growing on it.

No rain up here just humid as all get outs. I was push mowing and sweating like it was 120! I truely belive Missouri gets 2 good days a year and they are when I am at work...rofl.

Losing all the deep moisture is not a good thing. It takes alot to get that back. Sadly we have had so many stray animals thru the years if anyone ever digs up the pasture they are going to wonder what the heck. When we first moved here we had 6 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 birds... ;) They were all so sweet, then course thru the years different pets have wandered up and stayed. One time this beautiful black lab shows up and stays. No collar, but well behaved, just a sweetie. After about 2 weeks I found out he belonged to the neighbor across the road. Crazy dog could see his house! Then one time 2 chocolate lab puppies got dumped and I wanted to keep them so bad, but I knew I could find homes for them, sadly no one ever wants the mutts or gladly because they become mine. Course now we have 4 dogs and 1 cat. One dog the basset we did buy but other than that, they all adopted DH and me. Crit I know you miss your gardening friend something awful.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8740611

Yes happ ... I had a little backslide today when trying to take a nap. Was really missing her ... wanted her to be on the bed with me.

Will, be sure you water that rose good to get all the air away from the roots.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8741635

Ah Crit, I sure feel for you. Post a pic of your newest baby.

We got rain this morning and the temps are amazing. I can pull some weeds thank goodness.
The master gardeners are suppose to come to my house the end of August and lordy is it a mess. Wish I would of order dirt last weekend...rofl. Oh well I am sure everything will dry out shortly.

Well out to play will check on you all later.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8742441

Well, I hate to boast when some places are so hot and dry but we are getting a big downpour right now. I was outside watering earlier and I got the front yard watered then came in for a little while, then went out to water the backyard and it was real cloudy! I thought, "oh, it won't rain". So, about a fourth of the way thru watering, here comes the wind, then the rain. The poor neighbor next door got a big limb fall on they're new car. The neighbor on the other side came home on his Harley in the storm. I was outside under the porch when the branch fell on the neighbor's car and then the guy came home in the rain, I am traumatized! I got a photo of when it was just raining, not the blowing torrential downpour that it was.

Glad to hear that Rose is tuff, happ, I hope it stays tuff! I saw the little metal tag thats wired to it from JacksonPerkins, do you know what the name is?
Oh, that Rose has been watered real good! Even today, it is getting soaked from rain.

My friend has had a lot of cats too, she has I think 7 cats in containers from cremation, there is 7 here now. They are like companions here, the disabled lady has 2 in her room, she calls them kids or babies.
Will

This message was edited Aug 7, 2011 7:04 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8743031

That storm sure packed a punch by the time it reached Oak Grove!! We were at Walmart when it hit and it was blowing people around in the lobby area and pulled the lid off the bag container. It was raining so hard we couldn't see past the sidewalk. The only reason we could see that far was because of the people still standing there. They eventually called Code Black and sent employees to the back but not customers. Finally they came back for the customers and sent us back there. They sent us back there due to the large hail and because there are skylights on the roof.

Higginsville, which is 30 min east of me, got hit with 90 mph winds, lost power, trees and had roofs blown off. A friend of mine got home and found her trampoline in the front yard and shingles in their siding. We have limbs down including one really big one where my dad normally parks. But it doesn't look like we got hail because my old cat hid under plants instead of going into one of the cat houses so he got soaked. lol
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8743337

We had some rain last night. Noisy thunder, but we were glad to get the rain. Yippeee!
We caught another coon. This makes four. This was a big one. She/He has pretty much destroyed my window box plants.
Made strawberry pie today. Yum. Making a quinoa with a basil pesto tomorrow. We have lots of basil in the garden.
Still very hot here. Need to pull weeds. Maybe tomorrow AM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8744539

Wowzer the city is alot cooler. I walked out for just a second to my car and it was nice out, especially compared to what it has been.

Well I was weeding Sunday morning it was cloudy and cool, and when I got to the lilies, something had chewed them down and chewed the bulbs, just like the ones I had overwintered. I went a little farther and found holes in the ground. I am pretty sure I have voles...only thing that I could find was poison and with 4 dogs and 1 cat I can't do that, so anyone got any suggestions? Made me angry about my lilies. I really like those, and not far from those I have more lilies and surprise lilies a huge patch of them. Which by the way haven't bloomed yet, but I have some in the shade blooming...

Any suggestions welcomed and needed. Wonder if I could set mouse traps. Where is that stupid snake when I need him!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8744690

OK group ...here is my little Bobbi's "mug shot" from the Humane Society. lol I'll try to get some more, but she is always in my lap!!!

Thumbnail by Crit

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8745348

My grandma has one just like Bobbi. He was dumped on her porch one day last year. She knows who dropped him off but Tiny is part of the family now. lol. And always sad when I leave since I'm his playmate. lol

Happ, I can suggest stalking the yard with a gun since I know you are in the country. lol. I will ask my dad what he uses to catch moles and stuff here. We have a couple traps we use and they don't always catch them but we know they get hit at least because they get tripped.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8745497

If you can't catch the mole(s), they make great dirt for plants happ!

Boy, those 2 Ligularias 'Midnight lady' are neat plants, I didn't even know about Ligularias. They are going to make a fine addition to the shade garden I plan. I have a photo of one of them that I got from Pepper, the 2 are doing good, they will be good with the Hostas, Ferns, and Coral Bells in that spot. That Hosta is that scorched Sum And Substance I was telling about, it is recovering in full shade, I cut some of the leaves with scissors, they were toasted. The Ligularias seem to love full shade!

I may have talked big before about a "tropical spot" I plan, but I noticed recently that that spot gets NO sun, it is gonna become a shade garden and the tropical spot I plan has been moved to the side of the house.

I went to Heartland Nursery today and got 2 more Banana 'Basjoo's in they're 50% off sale, I got the 2 for $14 even. I thought that spot got some sun in the Summer, not NO sun, so the plan has changed..lol!

That looks like a Miniature Pinscher, Crit, neat dogs, my Dad and Stepmom used to show them in dogshows.

You caught another coon, birder?! Just don't sleep with them like the lady in the tv commercial for glasses, she thinks it's her cat!

They say on the weather this will be an unusually cool week, lows in the 60's, one low even of 61, that could change tho!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8745558

I'm glad we finally get to cool off finally!!! We need it!! Hopefully I can get my garden weeded again and start planning on putting in a fall garden next month. Not sure what all I will plant though. I know I will do a couple rows of radishes but after that not sure.

Ligularias do like shade. Mine seems happier in my shadier spots than the spots with a bit more sun.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8745603

Will, Bobbi is a Rat Terrier. You can't tell it by the pic but she has white on her too.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8746295

I have Voles not moles, moles eat bugs, Voles eat plant roots! They don't leave mounds like moles, they have a hole that looks what you would think is a snake hole. Now that it is cooled off maybe I can convience the cat to go back there since he is a long haired solid black cat, he wouldnt go to the west side of the house. Maybe I will start feeding him over there.

Will, most tropicals will do just fine in shade. I have gingers, bananas, elephant ears, orchids, calla lily, voodoo lily and some other stuff in shade. Hibiscus wouldn't be good, nor plumerias, things that bloom might need more sun but the majority of my stuff gets very little sun.

Wow these temps are something else. Feels good, I am trying not to worry about an early winter or first frost, I still have lots to do.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8746811

Ack!! Voles!! I saw that after I posted Moles. I was thinking, "ot oh, I think they're different"!! Sorry about that happ. They do sound nasty, I hope you get rid of them, ewww.. eating plant roots does sound nasty! Yeah, the backyard is kinda sheltered from the North, there is a big hill on the North that prolly goes up half a block, and just as far to the North, I hope it helps the Rose plant survive it's first Winter here. I had EE's in the shade and they seemed to suffer here, anyway they were pretty small, I'll see if I can find the others for sale.

Eeeek!! A Rat Terrier!! Looks like a nice dog, if I'd looked closer I'd have seen the White down lower, sorry Crit.
These are nice temps indeed, I'm doing more painting outside when sweat won't be such a problem!
Will
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8747310

happ ... I thought Ginger's bloomed.

will ...last night they were "possum" terriers. lol The got a possum cornered and the new one, Bobbi, was all over it. ^_^ I wasn't there but DH said she was relentless trying to get it. He was afraid she would get bit so he opened the gate where it could run out to the pasture. It must of gotten trapped in the yard somewhere when we "Bobbi Proofed" the back yard and couldn't get out. Today they were after a rabbit but it found a little opening by the gate and got out.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8747537

Here are some Google results for vole control. I don't know what methods you want to try so I'm just showing the whole page for you.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=vole+control&aq=3&aqi=g4g-s1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=739cf39a78c48e1&biw=1440&bih=763

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8747576

Hi all!

Hehe! Possum terriers! You're new dog must be pretty brave, it can't be much bigger than a possum, Crit!

Does anybody know how to get wasps out of a plant they have a nest in? I need to put that Dwarf Alberta Spruce in a larger pot soon. Something is causing it to go brown in a few places and I thot I'd try a bigger pot first. I really like that D.A.B., I bought it when it was little as a "Living Christmas Tree" at Walmart for about $3, 7 years ago. Now, it's much bigger, it's about a $20 D.A.B.!
I'm thinking about trying my luck at making it a topiary, maybe a spiral, but first I need to get rid of wasps. I tried spraying them with a hard spray of hose water, that brought them out and some flew off, but they come back. I'm lucky I haven't been stung, initially I picked that planter up and moved it so I could paint the outside wall, thats when I found out it was full of wasps! How about Raid in an aerosol can, would that harm the D.A.B.?
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8747645

I shouldn't harm the plant. I would try it. Read the can to be sure though. It will tell you if it hurts plants.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8747781

Cute, cute dog.
We rec'd some rain also. So nice. We're at least able to pull most of the weeds from roots.
Voles are hard to get rid of. I saw one this spring scampering around my S. Iris. I have read that fritillarias discourage them. They don't like the scent. (neither do we!) But, maybe that's just for moles. I would put kitty's food over there. I read it would be good to get rid of the mulch and clear the area around your lilies. Right, who wants to do that?
Well, we have commenced on re-staining our cedar deck. We have to do it about every two years. It's a pain.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8748441

Birder, I did clean everything away the best I could and that is how I found the holes of the voles. The lilies are no more, they ate them completely. I now see a hole in front of my rose bush. I fed the cat out there last night hoping the cat would be interested in the holes or stumple onto a vole.

Yes Crit Ginger does bloom, beautiful butterfly looking blooms that smell wonderful. " things that bloom might need more sun but the majority of my stuff gets very little sun", which includes gingers, orchids, but must most blooming things require more sun than shade. Did I make that more confusing...rofl.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8749549

I found an old can of Raid Yard Guard here. The can didn't say, but I Googled it and I read that it doesn't hurt plants. I'm pretty sure it worked, 2 of them stumbled out and died and the other wasps flew off, they would fly around and land on the outside of it but they didn't go back in, I think they gave up. I will pot it up to a bigger pot soon I hope.

Here is that Dragonfly again, watching me paint I guess! Here it is landed on the end of an onion, so I got photos of it.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8753801

Dag nab it Will, I drove to the house and figured out I left the plants on the counter!!!!! Well they are doing good and will keep them for you. I will probably be going thru Indp. next week...dang I can't believe I did that. I kept telling myself to put them in the car and I thought I had but... pretty normal for me.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8753928

Happ, don't give it another thought. I do that too..hehe! Really, it'll keep, whenever you can is fine. I hope you didn't burn alot of gas on my account. Just about every time I leave to go somewhere I get to the car and I've forgotten something, my wallet, my keys, something I had to take, maybe I'll have everything but I get to the car and have to use the bathroom. Believe me, you're not alone!
Will
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8754245

If I don't put the item in the car when I think of it, it doesn't happen!

Making Jambalya and Cornbread tonight. Ya'all wanna come on down? :)

Weather's great right now. Our patio table/chairs are down below our deck right now because we're in deck cleaning and staining mode. If I had them on the deck, I'd be out there with coffee in AM and dinner in evening.

I hurt my back working on the deck project so I am not able to pull weeds in this nice weather either. :(

We have so many projects lined up for fall.

BTW, please give me any info on re-seeding a yard. We have had so much Japanese Beetle larva damage this winter/spring. Our grass looks pretty bad. Weeds are growing, however.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8755464

Oh dear, I really got behind.

Happ, laughing, the bullfrog is about a foot and a half from DH's shins and on the bank left of the largest leaf.

No, I don't really do any geneology, but I do photograph the headstones of relatives and people I knew when I was a kid, so I can see the dates.

Rusty, I'll see you around.

Crit, I am so sorry. Polly was beautiful and you can see the intellegence and love in her eyes.

Will, mosquitos at the top means they are getting ready to hatch!!!!

The pond looks better all the time!

I love Cleome, and yep, they have little thorns on the stems.

I love the water trickle too. I think it's just loud enough!

The rose looks great in front of the arbor!

Love the little cardinal :o)

Happ, I love to be adopted by animals :o)

(((Aw Crit)))) Post as many pictures and share stories about her if you like. This is a very hard time for you :o(

Birder, I am glad you caught another raccoon! Just the fact that they can carry rabies is the best reason to get rid of them.

Yum, strawberry pie! I'll bet it was better then the tomato pie I made!

Oh Happ. To lose lilies is terrible!

Crit, love the mugshot, LOL!

Pepper, smiling over you being his playmate:o)

Will, awesome on the ligularias! They do like complete shade and water at their feet. They will wilt when it's hot, even if they are watered, but don't worry, it's their defense. They'll perk up overnight.

I just saw that commercial yesterday. It cracks me up every time!!

Happ, grinning over trying to coax the cat over by the voles!! I hope he goes and is a good hunter!

Crit, laughing over Bobbi. They are tenatious, brave, and won't let go once they have something. The rabbit chase cracked me up!!

Birder, your deck is going to look great! It will be so different to sit out there when it's done.

I hope you didn't hurt your bck too bad. I have been taking aspirin every morning before I start raking and shoveling dirt. I've been filling the wheelbarrow too full at times and have to watch my shoulders. So far I feel pretty good.

We are going to have to re-seed all the backfill along the new driveway. We will scratch seed in, in a couple of weeks if it's going to rain. Catching the rain is the best way to do it if you can. Otherwise, keep it wet!! Weeds will grow, but don't pull them out unless you can do it carefully. Otherwise too many surrounding grass seedlings will come up too.

Well, It's about time to go out and start moving more dirt. We need to get the last off the grass and into the newly empty spot in the garden.

Have a great day all!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8755530

My sisters, niece, and I went to the fair so I was in Indep. to meet them and will be thru there this week to drop off something at my systers. Dang I went off and forgot my cell phone and went back to get it and still didn't notice the plants, I had it in my mind I put them in the car... I leave things behind all the time which is why I thought I put them in the car...oh well they are fine and will get there sooner or later.

Going to weed some more today, the weather is amazing. Didn't get alot done yesterday but did play which was nice, can't work all the time.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8755823

Hi billyp! Yes, it HAS been awhile! I wrote you a dmail Aug. 5th that said, "Hi Sally", you never replied, but I saw you in another longtime thread of your's so I knew you was alright.
I just figgered either you loathed me and had enuff of my kind, or you just let my dmail slip by!

The Ligularias never wilted for me, billyp, (maybe they knew I'd panic!). One doesn't seem to grow as fast as the other one, but it hasn't wilted yet.

Oh, I wish I had a dollar for every time I got to my storage locker over the years and then realized I didn't have the key with me!

I found a use for an unused glider-bench frame, (the bench rotted and not replacing it), I'm going to hang 2 water bottles from it! I drilled holes all in it so it can water plants underneath it!
I just have to place the whole thing where I want it, I have a photo of the monstrosity below. -You know, I had to have my waterpond in the background..haha! That Tropicanna from Pepper only has one sprout now, unfortunately, we had some very strong wind the other day and one sprout got blown completely off. It's still very pretty, the one sprout that was left was bent way over but I straightened it back up, I'll be protecting it from storms from now on when I can.

Thanks billyp, that Rose seems to be thriving there by the arbor! Those Cleomes are really blooming, I'll have to get a pic of them later, they are blooming like there's no tomorrow!

I only fill my wheelbarrow about half full of whatever, I might look like a Pansy, (no offense to the flower, I have Pansies, it's just a saying!), but that's alright, I want a good back!
My wheelbarrow is pretty big, it says 6 cubic feet. If I filled it all the way up it would either fall over or I couldn't get far, and I've done both! Hehe.. better safe than sorry!

Haha! Billyp, that commercial is such a hoot! As a glasses wearer, I probably paid more attention to the commercial. I think I even got glasses from that place like 20 years ago! I liked seeing how much it costs now compared to 20 years ago. Actually, it seems to be the same price as then oddly enuff. In this economy alot of stuff is very reasonably priced. I don't think prices would be so good (in California for ex.), on alot of stuff!

Congrats on the new driveway billyp, it sounds really nice.
Thanks for the compliments on my water trickle and the solar bird billyp.

Oh dear, mosquitoes hatched out!? I hope my housemate doesn't read that, she'll come at me like a herd of housecats!

I hope you're back gets to feeling better, birder. I don't know anything about reseeding grass, altho, I have heard to seed grass in the Fall. Can anybody else agree with that, I'd hate to be wrong, but I've been wrong before! : )
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8755946

The banana is looking really good. Like the water idea, but you know with plastic you will also have a small outside greenhouse for early spring???? drapped over the structure. Course without supplemental heat not sure it could take a hard freeze, but should allow you to start tomatoes and stuff earlier.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8756271

Nice monstrosity there! lol Looks like it should work.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8756483

Happ's right. You can use the frame to make a greenhouse. Buy thicker plastic and it will work better. Won't be completely freeze proof but it will help tenders like the cannas that can handle some freezing.

Russian Sage and mums.

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8756603

Thanks happ, that was my first Banana, I still haven't planted it yet, it's going by the pond I think. I have a total of three 'Basjoo's now, I planted the other two, 2 days ago, they are gonna be centerpieces of my someday "tropical spot" on the West side of the house.

Hmmm, great idea, I think there is a new roll of sheet plastic here, I might make that former swing-frame a makeshift greenhouse! Speaking of that Tropicanna, that thing is getting huge, see how tall it is in the photo? Notice there is only one sprout of Tropicanna in it? The other one got removed by the wind.

Thanks Crit, I hope it works. I hope it don't break and fall down under the weight of being full of water and smash my plants! I drilled a hole thru the neck of the bottle though to put the old chain thru, maybe that'll work.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011

Post #8756604

That's quite a bed of Sage and Mums, Pepper, that's neat, you got you're own Mums for this Fall!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011

Post #8756605

Here's that "tropical side of the house", anyway that's the plan eventually, newly painted foundation and everything! I want to get one more Banana 'basjoo' to go in there while they're on sale.
I took apart the raised bed for a garden, nothing much grew there anyway! I did dig up the onions and potted them up in 2 pots because they are doing very well, my taste buds can attest to that!
I hate to cut down that big, mature, Rose-of-Sharon shrub but it's in there and kinda don't look right. My friend, (the homeowner) even said it was planted too close to the house, but that might not mean she'll let me cut it down. That thing rubs on my bedroom window at night when it's windy and it sometimes sounds like someone is trying to break in!

I'd like to devise some kind of wrap or netting, or build something out of thin wood, to put around the Banana plants for when they get bigger, to keep the leaves from shredding on windy days, any ideas? I'd like to have Elephant Ears and anything I can come up with in there too. I'll leave plenty of room to plant more stuff as I get it. Maybe I'll put lava rocks and some seashells on the ground there too!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8756606

Here's that big Rose-of-Sharon. Boy, things can change fast, there was that wall before it got painted a few days ago!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8756705

Will, the only concern I would have with your 'monstrosity', is if the place where you drilled the holes to put the chain through will hold and not rip out when you fill the bottles. Water is heavy. 8 lbs per gallon. Hope it will work for you! The lava rock and sea shells sounds cool.
Also, on that rose of sharon, you could trim it down (below your bedroom window) and make a nice shorter bush out of it. You could then shape it however you wanted, as a tree, as a round bush, etc. (No, probably couldn't make a spiral out of it. lol) I just love them and hate to see one taken out. I'm having such trouble getting them to survive at my house and I don't know why. Seems everyone else around here has beautiful ones.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8757540

Hello everyone!

I doing good and get better that I went Dr's last week and took some x-ray for my lung and tailbone so got more medicines again for that..

The weather is getting cool and raining past last week and sure I feel great for good and hate the hot weather again for long time! lol...

My dogs is doing good and cranky!

I just clean up my raised beds and re-over on something is new that I try for 5 gallon with lid that I heard from someone doing for plant in gallons... I try this for next year...

I got babysitter for 2 months that my step-son's daughter that his girlfriend go to college...

Take care everyone and I might come to library once a week...

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8757643

I looked up the definition of a Pansy yesterday to check out the flower, I didn't know it was slang for a quite derogatory saying. I didn't mean anything nasty, and I'm sorry for putting that out there. If I just edited it out up there, it still wouldn't look right to anybody that might have already read it.

Wow Crit, you're the only other person besides myself that says water weighs 8 lbs. a gallon! I'm saying "do I have to carry this grocery sack, it weighs 28 lbs.!". But, I hope those water bottles hold, I'll have to wait and see! They better hold, I've already taken 100,000 orders for my swing waterer!

I'll see about trimming that Rose-of-Sharon way down, maybe that'll do it. Haha.. I'd give you this one Crit, if I could dig it up and if it were mine!

Oh, there is 4 lava rocks here leftover from 70's landscaping and 2 bags of seashells. A friend went to a VA. beach a few years ago and got the 2 bags of them in 2002, her a bag and me a bag. I've been kicking them around ever since, I can't believe I might actually now have a use for the sentimental seashells!

Well, I'll be another year older Wednesday! Boy, how time flies!

Hi Rusty, nice to see you! You still have subscription, but you don't have a computer? I see, please do come and say hi sometimes when you can, I hope you're lung and tailbone heal up.
I'm no stranger to using a library computer either. I used one so much in 2008, looking for a job, I had the 14 digit library card memorized! I lost my card one time and they didn't believe I had it memorized!

Anybody want to see the Tropicanna closer up? It's in the photo below.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8757895

Hi Rusty, glad things are going better, and really glad to hear from you. Being without a computer feels really isoloated now after being so use to having one and talking to all you good friends.

Nothing new from me, the voles are eating everything, the cat doesn't care, nor do the basset hounds! only me. Weeded like a crazy person yesterday and I have boxes to take home to put over the bare spots to try and keep things down for the rest of the summer, it is summer right? This isn't fall already is it? Very strange weather we are having.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8758322

I know!! I keep telling everyone that the weather is anything but normal for this month. Normally we are like Texas is right now. Dry and burning up. Instead we are almost like June. Too weird but I'm loving it!! I just need to find time and energy to get out there and get my garden weeded so I can be ready to plant radishes and carrots soon.

Hi Rusty!! Glad you are back!! I've used the library computer too before when my internet when down. There are times I couldn't even get in there due to all the kids and out of work people. But I did when I could. It was nice too cause at the time I still had dial up and the library was and is high speed.

Thumbnail by pepper23

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8758378

happ: very "strange weather" but I will take it! It's so nice compared to the 99* with high heat index. So disgusting about the voles. I wish I had an answer.

Rusty: my husb. ordered a lap top computer for 250.00. He really likes it.

Brandywine viburnum (Viburnum nudum) is putting out beautiful white to pink berries right now. They will get rosy pink then, blue/black.
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=D495

Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) is starting to develop their beautiful fuschia berries.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CAAM2
I would take pictures, but its dark outside.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8758392

Went to my master gardener class and one of the guys had a snake in the house...I know ewwwwwwwwww, but he read that you could put a mouse sticky tape down and catch the snake, it worked. So I was thinking since it is for mice would it work for voles? Now if it gets on the dog nose he won't be too happy, but it beats poison!

birder I love those bushes I have seen pics of them for years but for some reason never bought any. Beauty berry has been one of my all time favorites.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8758398

Yeah, all this rain is so nice! Anybody want to see my altered Tropicanna? It has more sprouts now than before. I think having a sprout blow off was the best thing for it! I think I counted four sprouts in that pot. It is going to be a planter full of Tropicannas! It is going in my "tropical spot" that I'm working on.
I've been given the go-ahead to cut down that Rose-of-Sharon, does anyone want a cutting or some? I think I'm going to try to grow cuttings myself. I like it, it's just in the wrong place.
I've read about they're propagation, they can be grown from cuttings. I'm not sure I understand why Plantfiles doesn't include propagating from cuttings - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/788/
But, other sources have cuttings as a method - http://www.ehow.com/how_4863568_of-sharon-give-new-plants.html I didn't know until I was reading on it, that it is a Hibiscus. I think Hibiscus would be a good addition to a tropical area, but maybe there are more tropical looking Hibs with a bigger more tropical-looking flower. What also makes the Rose-of-Sharon neat is it is cold hardy here.

Nice Petunias and all there, Pepper. I have some similar to your's but mine are in an old Grape flat.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011

Post #8758399

Sorry to hear about the Voles eating you're plants happ. If there is a bright spot, at least it's toward the end of Summer. Nice plants Birder, Beautyberry has a beautiful berry!
Here is my Petunias in the old Grape flat. I think it's 2 big four packs of Whites and 4 - 6 packs of Pink ones. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8758442

Will, look at dinner plate hibs. They are tropical looking and hardy. Very hardy in fact. Here is a site that has some for sale. Summer Storm would have been perfect for that spot. I may have to see if someone else has it. lol. Don't have a spot for it but I can make a spot for that beauty!!

http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/ProductCart/pc/Potted-Hardy-Hibiscus-Rose-Mallow-Plants-for-Sale-c703.htm
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8758510

Neat, thanks Pepper! I like that site, I might get 'Crown Jewels' and 'Fireball', I'd like to have one White and one Red. I like 'Kopper King' but it's sold out. They have reasonable prices too, I never thought tropical looking hibs came that big in flower. They say 'Fireball' has a 12 inch flower!
How about all these Cleome flowers by the Rose plant from happ?! Some of the Cleome flowers aren't even in bloom right now.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8758514

Will, nice petunias. I need to cut my dark purple ones back so they will re-bloom for fall.
I have hardy hibiscus. It is white with a rosy pink center. It's native to Mo. and not a "dinner plate" flower, but nice. It re-seeds a little every year.
I also have one that is maroon and the blooms are huge, but it doesn't seem to multiply. I am thinking it is sterile?

Will, moonflowers (Ipomoea alba) look real tropical. I am referring to the plant not the vine. Vine is nice too, but the flowers on the plant are larger and quite fragrant. They open up in the evening. Of course, cannas are quite tropical looking also, but you do have to lift them in the fall. I used to have Canna 'The President'. My husb. was in the hosp. one year over Thanksgiving, and we forgot about them. We lost them. Really, daylilies look tropical too.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8758567

Thanks birder! I read Moonflowers are about zone 8 though. I might try my luck at growing them from seed anyway, they sound neat. I plan on having a couple more Cannas in planters and some Elephant Ears in planters, I'll need to take all those inside for the Winter.
I have a couple Daylily planters I can plant in there.
I'm thinking about making a little beach scene with sand, seashells and rocks, a little pump for "waves", maybe even driftwood on the side, maybe I'll make a lighthouse! I don't think I'll have pirate ships though! Oddly enuff driftwood is in no short supply here. My housemate's Sister mailed a bunch from VA. because she says it's art, Driftwood is like Gold to that Sister I think!
Maybe I'll even try to duplicate Beach Grass and a beach-like fence. I think I better go to bed!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8758791

I was just kidding about going to bed! Petunias bloom again in the Fall if you cut them back? That would be great! I was thinking they bloom in Spring and Summer and that's it, and say goodbye to they're annual show! I like Petunias, I want to get those candy striped ones or a swirly, multi-colored like flower, I forgot what it's called. I think I might see some in Pepper's pic up there.
Will
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8759038

pepper ... perty 'tunias. Mine always die off about this time of year. I have planters like that one too. ^_^

YES Corey, I would love some of your ROS!!! If there are some small sprouts around the base, you can dig them up too. They would already have roots and wouldn't have to worry about them rooting.
There may be some of the Moonflower plant seeds in the seed stash from me. If not, I have some that I can send to you. They are a beautiful bush during the day when they are not blooming. They reseed themselves and if you don't want the seed, just pluck the bloom before the pod starts to develop. Mine here in zone 7a came back from the original plant from last year.

Patti
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8759978

I have a cousin named Corey. Maybe you were talking to someone else, or it might be a simple misunderstanding, I'm Will if you meant me.
If you were talking to me, I'd be glad to do that if Corey don't come thru with them! : ) I've been around the ROS base quite a bit during painting,
and well, just skulking around, I didn't see any seedlings. I bet you meant someone else,
you're talking about a seed stash with Moonflower seeds in it maybe. Since it would be going from my zone (5b) to your's (7a) there might not be much of a problem. If you were talking to me, just dmail me you're address and I can send you some cuttings.

I got out there a while ago and got some photos, I didn't see any seedlings at it's base. I hate to remove such an old, big pretty Rose-of-Sharon
but it's entirely in the wrong place but it's about 20 feet tall. You also get poked when you have to walk around the corner. Would it look okay you think if I just pruned
it hard, I mean way down, around only 4 feet tall? All that green at it's base is that nasty Bush Honeysuckle. We had it all over for many years
because the residents here thought it was so pretty. It was all ripped out about 4 years ago, but little ones pop up everywhere. It'd be easy to
tell the difference between them, underneath the ROS, because the leaves are quite a bit different. Is it just me, or is DG not working today?
It'll prolly be fixed when I post this, I wrote it the day I couldn't get on DG, all this is pasted, I saved this in Notepad. Other websites seem to open.
Will

This message was edited Aug 16, 2011 6:56 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8760112

Yeah, I like the prices on there too. They have the best that I've seen so far.

Well, I'm now doing research for work. I mentioned doing a Made in America sale and my boss loved it. I just need to present some facts for him that he can use in the ad and to present the idea to the owners too probably. Gonna be neat to see the finished product I think.

Crit, my petunias are usually dead this time of year too. First time I've ever gotten them to last this long!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8760805

We have a bunch of MIO products. (Made in Oklahoma) They have billboards up advertising it.

Oh Will, I'm so sorry. I must of had Corey on my mind for some reason. lol Yes, I would love some of the ROS starts. I will send you some moonflower seeds if you want them.
I was thinking of Rick_Corey when I typed that. He is now our local FreeSeeds for NewBees person. lol I don't know why, buy I have almost typed stuff for him on you before, but caught myself before I sent it. ~blushing~ ^_^ I don't see ANY problem with you cutting the ROS down to 4' tall. I've seen a lot of them that people keep pruned to a small bush. I think it would be really pretty there.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8761099

Will, I have had my moonflowers return the following year. But, if they don't--not to worry. They will re-seed generously. They are not, however, hard to control. I like them. Do you have seed?
I usually cut my petunias back the last week in July or the first week in August to get a nice flush of bloom. I have done so with my window boxes for my deck, but haven't cut them back in the front of the house. I need to get going on this fall gardening chores. I need to collect snapdragon seed (Rocket series).
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8761177

Think I read somewhere if you cut back ros you will get bigger blooms, wonder where I saw that? hummmmm.

Well not making it to Indep. this week Will but everything is fine. Plant are growing.

Boy I appreciate not having to water every night, except the stuff on the porch. I pulled weeds, put down cardboard, and mulched 4 bags full last night after work. I might actually have the garden looking ok when the master gardeners come over. Now not all the gardens but part of them...rofl. Hopefully I can get DH to put my post up for the pergole.

Anyone have grasshoppers? Bad enough I have the voles but now grasshoppers, I had them so bad one year they ate everything to the ground, you would walk across the grass and it was like it was raining grasshoppers, I don't want to see that again.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8761791

I think I will order those Hibs from them, I've bookmarked them. Unfortunately when I'm ordering, I expect that's when I'll find out the shipping charges, some places are quite proud of shipping and handling. But, the prices of the plants themselves from online places seem to be more reasonable, it's like they know people are turned off by "shipping" costs and it prolly hurts they're business, so they've came down, which is a good thing. The Made In America idea sounds good, Pepper, that's how people move up in a company. I was reading about who makes what when they dropped out of college and even the ceo of Carnival Cruise Lines started at the bottom in an entry level job.

We had Comcast internet put in today, it is much faster. The installer guy was a bit of a numbskull, he was an hour late, and he just leaves cords and stuff on the desk and where-ever. No regard for tucking things in or anything, "just hook them up!" I guess.

Oh, simple mistaken identity, Crit! Sure, I'd love to try some Moonflower seeds. Sure, I'd send you some ROS starts if I get any to start.
I don't have any Moonflower seed, birder. In the little warmer micro-climate of a yard here they might do like your's, come back the next year.

I may be trimming that ROS way down. The way it is, it just takes up so much precious yard, when you have an 80' by120' lot you need every inch! That really is neat that it's so hardy and pretty, but it's just in the wrong place.

Grasshoppers? Not me, but I've seen how they can wreck stuff. Ack! Voles AND Grasshoppers! Now I'm gonna have bad dreams about Voles and Grasshoppers! lol
Does putting down cardboard to fight weeds work for very long? Weed-block fabric is so expensive, it's around $19 for a 100' roll. That's okay happ, they'll keep, come when you can.

Here's that ROS, around the base. Those green things are the Honeysuckle Bush leftover seedlings.
Will

This message was edited Aug 17, 2011 5:36 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8761914

Will, cardboard will last longer than weed fabric and is better for the enviroment. Especially if you get thick cardbaord and not the skinny flimsy stuff.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8762156

I order lots of computer equipment for work and it comes in great cardboard boxes and I cut them to fit, then mulch on top. Price is right, bocks weeds for at least a couple of years. I made a big path thru the flower garden and I laid boxes down first, covered with mulch and still don't have weed problems there.

Some sellers sell products for cheap prices and make up the difference on shipping and handling, agree with you Will you have to really watch those additional charges.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8762439

Happ, I hope you had a great time at the fair!

Will, I did see your mail. I just haven't had time to do anything more than the weather thread most mornings. We get out early and start working on getting the yard back together after the driveway.

Sunday, we moved the dirt pile from the yard to the garden. That was a good because we're trying to save the grass. It's looking poorly, but has potential, LOL!

Monday we went to the State Fair.

Tuesday, we got all the dirt in along the driveway and tamped it a final time. DH seeded it and covered it with straw.

Yesterday we ran two loads of rock we raked out of the dirt, to my Dad's. I spent most of the day raking more out. It's really good dirt and I need to change out so much in old plant beds. So, I'm driven to get it all sorted.

Ligularias usually wilt in the high heat. It must be cool enough right now. I hope they do well. I love the looks of them!

So, no loathing, no bored with you, and maybe, on the slipping by :o)

Love the recycling of the frame.

You can seed when it's cool, but you have to water if it doesn't rain. Fall has a better chance of rain.

Pepper, I love Russian Sage! What color Mums?

Rusty, you are going to be busy for a while! I sure hope your lungs and tailbone do get better.

Will, nice paint job and no offense over the pansy. I was thinking I was one too as I only half fill my buckets and barrows anymore. I'm not wrecking my back or arms either!

It's amazing at what a person hangs on to and finally uses. I think the shells would make a nice accent.

Tropicana looks nice!

Happ, danged voles!

Pepper, it's like June here too. I have a flannel shiort on right now. But we aren't getting any rain.

I love petunias!

Birder, grinning over the links. I love both bushes!

Happ, ROTFL picturing the sticky trap on the dog's nose!!

I'll have to catch up later. We're needing to get in and get groceries.

Me and the wooden lady at the Fair :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8765255

BP: Love the picture of the wooden lady and you at the fair!

We rec'd rain this AM, but man it's hot and humid this afternoon.

Still working on the deck. Ugh! We have such a big deck. We like it a lot until it's time to re-stain it!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8765493

Bad storms rolled thru last night. I heard that winds in some places reached 100 mph but I just got home less than an hour ago from Illinois so not sure about that. I do know that Concordia got some damage on their corn. It looked pretty bad. My rubber bucket was half full of water and my truck bed has water standing in it. I have a lawn chair back there that I need to get out before it rusts.

We drove to Illinopolis today for a funeral. Left last night and stopped in Hannibal then went rest of way today. Drove home afterwards. It's about a 6 hour trip. Very exhausting.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2011

Post #8765569

A paved driveway is nice, billyp, I'm sure you and you're hubby will get lots of enjoyment out of it, no more mud and getting stuck in the mud, rain and snow!
Thanks on the compliment on the paint job billyp, I hope it lasts about 40 years or so! It is decent paint for porches and concrete surfaces in general, so maybe it'll do alright for awhile.

Oh goody! I love that new use for cardboard! I was in the neighbor's basement the other day, I remember now he had the cardboard box from a new water heater he installed recently, I'm gonna ask him for that box. That's nice, since I recently sold my truck, cardboard has been accumulating, now I have a use for it, thanks! I use to throw boxes in the bed of my truck and take them to be recycled. Thanks, I hope that idea of making that swing frame into a waterer works.

Here's that "tropical spot" that I've been raving about, painted wall and all. There is 2 Banana plants in it now but I plan on having 4 of them in there when I'm done, and there's that ROS yet to be pruned WAY back. That's the area where I plan to put down all the cardboard I think. I hope I end up hiding that AC unit, my housemate would love that too.

I looked up Illiopolis, I couldn't believe there was a town called Illiopolis, but it only has 900 some people! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illiopolis,_Illinois I've heard of Metropolis, Indianapolis and Anapolis but not Illiopolis!

Yeah, I have a deck here to stain, not looking forward to it!

Haha! If the shipping and handling charges are more than what I'm ordering, then I hit CANCEL! Well, I guess it depends on the size of the order and if I can't find it anywhere else, (which doesn't usually happen)!
Will

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 9:12 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8765898

Thanks Birder :o)

I don't envy you staining. It's a long hard job, but hopefully it will last a long time.

Pepper, what a lot of rain! We could use some and maybe we'll get it today. The clouds look promising.

A 6 hour trip is very tiring. It took us close to 2 and 1/2 hours to get to the Fair and it was enough for me no matter how comfortable the truck was.

Will, could you have painted all the hose, wiring and outlet box white with the wall paint? That would make it less noticable to start. It looks great painted and will make a nice tropical bed!

We are officially done putting things back together. The dirt pile is sorted and the rock we raked out are down at Dad's in his driveway. The grass id growing under the straw and it might rain today. Life is good, LOL!

My dirt.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8766203

That's a good idea about painting all the wiring and the box white also. When our house was painted, they did that and they are barely noticable.

About the only thing I have blooming right now after all the heat and dry are moss rose and one canna. This canna is Erebus

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8766209

moss rose

Thumbnail by Crit

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8767098

We got some damage here from the storms last night. Several big limbs down and my cannas got knocked down. Lost power and phone service also. Power was back up pretty quickly but the phone service was still out when I left for work this morning but working when I got home. Several neighbors have damage also. Lots of big limbs down.

But the temps sure are nice!! lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8768141

Crit, I love moss rose and didn't have any reseed this year. The canna is beautiful!! Boy, we've come a long way from the red ones, and yet, they are still bright and beautiful. My neighbor has them surrounding their three season porch and I'm enjoying them.

Wow, I've never seen such full moss rose, gorgeous!

Pepper, there's the ''lemonade!" Temps are nice!

DD called yesterday and said she was going nuts, so she came down. One little boy just woke up and the other is fast asleep :o)

I managed to mow early yesterday since we didn't have any dew on the ground. I think it's been 19 days. No rain, not grow. It looks nice and I was able to skip over a lot of dormant grass. We need rain tho. Then we had a nice jeep ride. It was a nice relaxing day.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8768416

Thanks Billy. Moss Rose and Canna's are about the only thing I have blooming. My moss rose reseeds all over the place. I have 4 long ledge planters that are brimming over with them, then several pots of them. Plus I mix my old potting soil with new every spring, so I have it growing in a lot of pots with the other plants. I also save some seed every year. Here is another shot.

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8768421

One more. See the big pale yellow flower in the middle? That is a moss rose. It sure doesn't look like it. I just love it. Have some pics of the ledge planters, but haven't downloaded them yet.

Thumbnail by Crit

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8769427

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with short ee's this year!! lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8769852

Hmmm.. I'll ask what my housemate thinks of painting all those wires and hoses White, that would be no problem, I'll have the paint out some more, I have 2 more sides yet to do.
Thanks, I hope it turns out as nice as I envision! I wonder if Pelicans and Flamingos will stop by?!

How's this photo for some Cannas? I went to my lot in KS. to cut the grass and I've always been intrigued by this median full of Cannas. I'll try to stop there sometime and ask them if they let them overwinter there, if they don't, thats alot of work!

Beautiful Moss Rose there Crit! And that light Pink Erebus Canna is also. I don't know what color flower Tropicanna has, but I think I'll be finding out soon! It has really recovered from losing a sprout due to wind a couple weeks ago. It had only 1 sprout left after the wind, now it has 4 at last count!

That's quite a pile of dirt, billyp! It looks like decent dirt there, unlike here! Cheap dirt can be hard to come by.

Boy, the disabled elderly lady here was quite nasty this evening. She was yelling for her daughter again, so I go in there and nicely ask her if there's anything I can do, to keep her from yelling for her daughter so much. Oh, she let me have it! She says, "when I'm yelling for *** you don't come in here, you son-of-a-biscuit eater"! Well, she says the real curse words. "Now, get you're thing outta here and leave my blank blank cats alone!" She says the next time I go in there she's going to, "knock me out"! Her daughter, (my housemate) gets about 10 minutes of sleep a nite!
The elderly lady does not care that she has to get up to go to a job. She doesn't care about what time of nite it is, anytime is good for yelling. Hospice has been coming about the last 2 months or so to see her and give meds, and she calls those nurses some nasty names most days! Mind you, this lady is bedridden 24 x 7, blind and with Parkinson's Disease. She has some make-believe going about, I'm poisoning her cats and hiding under her bed and tearing up the house, all untrue. We're always nice to her, we treat her like a queen, that's what she thinks she is!
Will

This message was edited Aug 21, 2011 11:02 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8772896

I am sorry Will, but the elderly lady story made me laugh!! :) It sounds like a sitcom.

I made oatmeal cookies this AM. I just thought I would mention that. My girlfriend's daughter made them, then my girlfriend started craving them and made some, and now I am making them!

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8773097

Oatmeal cookies are a treat indeed!

Oh, she is a peach alright, birder! I always knock on her door before I go in, she says today, "you saw that, he came in uninvited" to the other aide, and there I had knocked, I always do, she is just so focused on and self-convinced that I'm a sonofagun that she only hears and believes what she wants. A little while ago, I said "I was going to run a few errands, be back in a little while, I have to go deposit my millions in the bank". I try to be funny, even tho comedy isn't really the mood in there, it's usually not.

Anybody want to see a Weeping Willow that I grew from a cutting and gave to my Sister and BIL over 7 years ago? They pruned it up recently, last year the trunk wasn't visible and it has lost a lot of leaves due to the hot, dry spell we had this Summer. For instance, last year you couldn't see thru it, this year you can. Everybody loves that tree, the neighbors and everybody! I have such illusions of grandeur!!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8773098

Here is that Weeping Willow less than 7 years ago, as a stick in a big black pot with a ruler and a seashell! That big, dead looking stick standing straight up is the cutting.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8774498

Amazing Will. That's a really pretty tree. I can see why everyone loves it.

If there are any typos here, please ignore them. I was working with one of the horses and was latching the center gate back on the trailer with a bungee cord because the rattle of the gate when she is loading startles her, and I was working with her on loading and unloading in the trailer. I had it wrapped 3 times and was just trying to hook the ends when she pulled on the rope. I think it was the bungee cord end that the sliced open my middle finger on my right hand at the middle joint, and maybe the latch on the gate. 3 1/2 hours later we left the emergency room with 11 stitches in it and it all wrapped up and a long splint that goes from past the tip of my finger to my wrist. The tip of the finger from the first joint to the tip is numb It could just be from the trauma or there could be nerve damage. They gave me the name of a hand surgeon to contact if it isn't better in a week or 2. It looked pretty yucky, I could see a little tendon or nerve or something inside the gash that was still in tact. We (DH and I) sat in the waiting room for 2 1/2 hours! That is just unreal!!! I was in such pain. I hate ER's.

So, I am off work today. Going to take it easy and maybe go back tomorrow. We are just about finished getting the place ready for closure. We are working 4 hours a day and getting paid for 8. We have a contract with the state until Sept. 30th, so they have to pay us until then whether we work or they send us home on administrative leave, which we do not have to use any of our vacation time for.

Everyone heard about the earthquake in the Northeast? Hope all those in the EQ area checks in to let us know they are OK. We had a 4.8 EQ here a few months ago. I was setting in my office and I could see the walls shaking and my chair...it was freaky. I hadn't ever been in one I could feel as much as that one. We have a fault that runs through OK. When I lived near West Plains, MO I was required to have EQ insurance as I lived about 3 miles from a fault line.

Well, that's all for now. Tired. Finger hurting. Going back to bed. Have a great day!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8774955

Ouch Crit, sorry to hear that, hope it heals up for you, yeah horses do have some pulling power I hear!

My housemate's Sister lives near the epicenter of that VA. EQ, Powhatan, VA. My housemate asked, they are fine, nobody was hurt anywhere I heard. Only a half mile deep they say, it could be felt far away, even in OH. they said they could feel it and left they're workplace buildings.
I've had bad internet issues the last day or so. Even now, it's not fixed, it's just hooked up wired, (straight from the modem to the pc). Something isn't working right with the router connected, that still gotta be fixed.

My friend here and her Mother (the disabled lady) are from West Plains, MO. I've been there before with my friend, visiting family, nice city.
Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8775188

There is a thread on Mid Atlantic regional gardening that has everyone checking in. The quake was felt in 22 states and Canada. Washington Monument and the National Cathedral is damaged also. Both closed til they find out how bad damage is.

I went out and tried to weed today but didn't get very far. I managed to weed around the rocks bordering my iris bed and that was it. I had wanted to weed my veggie bed but it was just too hot and humid. Just the little bit I did in the shade about kicked my butt. lol

Crit, hope you don't have permament finger nerve damage. Yeah, the ER is not fast like it's supposed to be. Almost better off just going to regular doctor sometimes.

Hey Will, do you want 3 butterfly bushes and a hydranga? BBs are Black Knight, Peacock and Nahno Blue. The hydranga is Amethyst. I plan on taking out my butterfly bushes in front of the deck and putting in 2 small hydrangas since they like shade and I want them to go to a good home. I have 2 butterfly bushes in the ground and the other one and the hydranga are in a pot. I can cut them back and mail them. If you don't want them I'll send them to whoever does want them.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2011

Post #8775198

Here's the link to the earthquake thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1215758/#new
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8775244

That is awesome Will. I lived in a tiny town about 15 miles from there named Dora. I went to West Plains all the time. Loved my drive home through the Mark Twain National Forrest (I think that's the name, my mind just went blooey) with all the tall pines. It was beautiful!!!

I would of gone to my regular doc, but it happened at 5:30 p.m. Of COURSE!

If Will doesn't want the butterfly bushes, I do. All but one of mine died thiis summer. Thanks!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8775404

Oh, I'd love to have the Butterfly Bushes! I wish they were an even number of them, then I'd give half to Crit. But, we bought two last Summer and they didn't overwinter in the garage.
Even though I returned them for store credit, we kinda should replace them somehow, the Sister in VA. came last Summer and bought them and doesn't know they're gone.
Could I have the 'Black Knight' and the 'Nanho Blue' BB's, Pepper? Mailing them would be fine, I'll return you're postage. But, I go to Odessa sometimes to visit a good friend, I could meet you somewhere in Odessa or something or come to you're house, gas is no thing for me, I drive a small car.
Hydrangeas aren't a favorite of my friend's. Thanks for the kind offer, Pepper.

The Mark Twain National Forests are so cool. It's neat that such a large part of South Missouri is Mark Twain Nat'l Forests.

Yeah, that nerve damage can really be worrisome if you don't know that's all it is, but it usually heals up, but it can take many months. One time my foot went over sideways and all my weight went on my ankle and I'm pretty sure looking back that that tore the nerves all up, my foot was numb, it just hung limp, I walked with a limp for a long time, but it eventually healed up. When I did it I felt this terrible tearing sensation and I remember thinking, "oh, that didn't feel right".

Oh, I got short Elephant Ears too! -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8775487

Will, the 2 butterfly bushes are yours!! Crit the other one is yours and the hydranga if you want it. I'm sure I could find a good home though if not. I just don't have room for it where I want to put it. I got 2 new short hydrangas this summer that will be perfect for my spot. Rio and Vienna.

http://www.colorchoiceplants.com/cityline_venice.htm

Will, I'll dmail you and we will work it out.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8775571

Okay, sounds great! Thanks!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8776813

I don't seem to do well with hydranga's. Give it to someone who will enjoy it. Thanks for the bfly bush
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8777095

Crit: sorry to hear about your finger. It may take a long time to get feeling back into the finger. It took about a year for my husband's injured hand.

The deck is finished. Thank you, God!! It was a real challenge. Now that the deck project is over, I have been pulling weeds. I am tempted to put down cardboard or Preen, but I love the re-seeding of the Poppies, Larkspur, and Salvia 'Victoria Blue'.

Here's a pic of the finished deck. Above the middle of the deck is a gazebo with copper on the very top.

Thumbnail by birder17

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8777237

Nice deck, the stain job looks great, birder. That's a neat bench there too, that's cool how all that stuff is on it, like the hose and the extension cords. I'd say somebody is a handyperson!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2011
5:08 AM

Post #8777569

Looks great and very inviting. We just let ours go la natural`... naked. lol Still have to weather proof it occasionally though. Replacing bad boards as we can.

Coolest temps since June this morning!!!!!!! 66* now, low 90's today! YA!!!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2011

Post #8778625

That Sister also bought 2 Hydrangeas at the same time, 'Mini-Penny'. The aide here Penny says she likes them, I think I know why! Because they're named Penny!
It's supposed to have a nice blue flower. If I remember, it had a few nice flowers this year already, in the pot.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2011

Post #8778626

Boy, this Tropicanna from Pepper is really getting crazy big!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2011

Post #8778628

How about these Peaches?! They are getting pretty big. I am curious about what is causing the black spots and that can't be good for inside the Peach. Does anyone know what is causing these black spots on every Peach?
Thanks, Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8778882

My "guess" about the peaches are insects. I have read peaches are one of the "buggiest" fruits. The insects love them.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8779044

Ack!! Bugs on my Peaches!? I'll have to see if theres a kind of fruit spray for them next year, I'd like big, clean Peaches.
Thanks
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8779528

I LOVE peaches!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8779767

Me too! I do love a Peach! Dang I wish these didn't all have those black spots! Oh well, maybe inside of them won't be bad. I was boasting this tree up because I just bought it last October from Lowes. It is gonna be included in my landscaping master plan in the backyard.
Will
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8780888

I usually eat nectarines, because they don't have the fuzzy peach skin. However, if I freeze, I always use peaches because I peel them.

(`v)
`*..*
. .*).*)
(.(. (..`..♥ PLEASE Re-post this heart prayer balloon for all the families along the Eastern coast of the US as they get ready for hurricane Irene!! God bless & keep them all safe!!! Please

I see the hand surgeon on Wednesday. Still have numbness on the tip and down the side of my finger. Hope I don't have to learn to type like this permanently. I do pretty well, but not the 70 wpm I use to do. :-)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8781942

Hope you get good news on the finger. Would hate to hear that the damage is permanent.

I tood advantage of the nice day this afternoon. I went out and FINALLY got my veggie bed weeded!!! Found some potatoes that I didn't think had done anything too. Now I can plant my radishes. Would like to plant carrots but I don't know if I can do fall planting for those or not. Will have to look.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8781966

Aren't Peaches the greatest?! I see NYC got hit last nite about midnite or the wee hours, somewhere in there, they said it wasn't as bad there as they prepared for, still, better safe than sorry!
Unlike Katrina was, this hurricane is only a category one, last I heard, although it brings huge amounts of rain. I couldn't believe some of the rain totals from Irene.
That's a neat balloon there, Crit.

I'd be a little wary of what they want to do with you're hand. They could end up doing more harm than good, I'd at least get a second opinion. I think sometimes unnecessary things are done in healthcare just for the insurance big bucks. It's my opinion that sometimes money greed is deciding for the doctors and surgeons, you're best interest may take a backseat. But, I'm sure much in healthcare helps, I'm just saying, I wouldn't jump on anything in healthcare. Like my Grandpa used to say, "if you take medicine, it'll heal up in about a week, if you don't take any, it'll heal up in about 7 days"! I suppose I'm a bit biased, I think that greed scenario, unfortunately, may have had a big part in my Father's hospital demise. The keyword here being opinion, that's my opinion. In any case, I hope that numbness goes away for you, Crit.
On another note, I saw this thing on Yahoo news about a man in Cuba who had 24 digits! He said it helped him climb Palm trees! - http://news.yahoo.com/photos/cuban-man-proud-of-his-24-digits-1314393190-slideshow/

How about this big, 3 tiered birdbath that I glommed onto from my Stepmom today?! In the photo is the bottom and the middle section, I already have the top section here. It was at my Stepmom's and Father's place.
My Dad is the one who had it all set up and maintained back in the day, since he passed away 4 years ago, it's just been sitting and collecting rainwater and turning green and nasty. Those setups cost like $500 new,
it's really gonna be a big asset in my master backyard landscaping plan. I plan on having one of my cheap, little Harbor Freight pumps going on it someday. The birds will love me I say! There is about a half dozen birdbaths here!
I was a little worried about the 35 mile one way roadtrip I had to do on the freeway to get this thing. But as far as I can tell, the big birdbath didn't move an inch on the trailer ride.
Haha! Look at how low the car is squatting, almost sitting on the rear tires! That trailer is quite small and the temporary sides I made on it are way less than ideal. I wasn't worried about the weight capacity of the trailer. I now know kinda the tow capacity weight limits I shouldn't exceed on my little car, about 500 lbs., including the trailer, (which is about 150 lbs. itself).

I meant to get a photo of that Cardinal plant or Lobelia I think it is, something is sprouting at it's base, I thought it was dead! The long branches turned brown and crispy, but I never got rid of the plant, now I'm wondering if it has little ones now. I'll try to get a photo of it tomorrow, it is kinda perplexing! I wouldn't know a Lobelia leaf from a weed!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8781974

Will, if you are lucky it could have converted to the original cardinal plant which means it will be even hardier!! I need to see if mine survived. It may not have.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8782110

Thanks for the bit of warning Will. I had thought I might ask my pain mgmt. Dr. if he has any hand Dr.'s that he trusts.

Can't wait to see your fountain set up. We have a big one in our backyard in the patio/pool area.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8783128

Crit glad to hear you got some repreve from the hot weather. Did you need a coat?

I gave over an hour talk on tropicals on Sunday afternoon. I think I worked 60 to 80 hours for an hour talk, sort of like a wedding...rofl! I worked so hard getting ready for this master gardener training session that I am shot..rofl and relieved that it is over with. First off I lucked out beause we have had some cool temps and got the gardens whipped back into some sort of shape the last 3 weeks. I have weeded, cut off dead stuff, mulched, mowed, trimmed, potted, decorated and organized! Then made outlines of the talk, tagged all the plants, cleaned the house, made snacks, you name it..rofl. Oh yeah, the tropicals were even helping, 4 out 5 hibiscus were blooming, plumeria was blooming (I don't even believe it was blooming the very first time), daturas had blooms, brug was in full swing with absolutely beautiful blooms, buddha belly, alot of perennias jumped into the act, roses were blooming like crazy, daylilies were reblooming, candly lilies, gosh you name it. Speaking of naming it, the way I quickly tagged everything was I got the little orange flags like they use to mark gas and water lines, put a number on it then made of list 1 thru 79 with the names, I had wanted to include the color and a few facts but I would of needed another 2 weeks rofl. I even managed to get enough starts of one of the ee's boa to give as a gift to everyone that came. Then another master gardener gave a talk on orchids and brought different orchids from her collection and had handouts. We almost looked like we knew what we were doing and talking about... ;)
I don't think I have ever had the gardens looking so good going into fall or my fall cleaning done so early... ;) Course we are talking gardens like everyone knows who suffered thru a horrible hot dry summer, so looking good is relative. Oh speaking of great DH, he took out all the area rugs on Friday and Saturday and cleaned them! Bless his little heart... All that work inside and one person went in to use the restroom...kind of like cleaning before Christmas morning... LOL
So this week I will water with Bayer to kill the critters in the soil of the tropicals and start working on getting them ready for fall and the winter ahead. Boy it feels good to be this far ahead, guess I should hold a class every August...rofl Maybe I can even get some stuff planted this fall.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8783425

Yeow happ! Welcome back! Over an hour talk?! Eeek! I'd fold up after about 5 seconds! I'm an introvert! You must be an extrovert. That's why I get on here and declare stuff! In person, I'm a quiet, blithering idiot though! I'm sure you did a fine job, happ. I want to hear what you say! Please feel free to share anything you want here. We are listening ears here. Like somebody once said, I think,
"If you can't learn from others, you'll live life not knowing much!"!

Here's that Cardinal plant and what appears to be little sprouts at the base. I hope those are Cardinal plants, they will also make a fine addition to the landscaping plan!
Don't mind the spider hole, they are everywhere!

Thanks Crit, I hope the setup of the fountain goes well. I'm slowly setting up the pieces to it today. Some of them are quite heavy, so I take my sweet time!
Even the pedestal for the bottom birdbath tier is a heavy sonofagun! It rode in the trunk of my car, it prolly broke that thin sheet that's in there, I've already wheeled it into place.
Gosh, I only want to do this setup once, I hope it stays level!

You're welcome, Crit. Don't let my opinion discourage you from getting treatment for you're hand. I'm sure the exception is not the rule, speaking of my Dad's questionable healthcare treatment, (my opinion).
Will

This message was edited Aug 29, 2011 4:27 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8783816

Will, itlooks like the cardinal plant to me. I googled and the leaves look similar. Don't plant it though til we know for sure. No need to spread the weeds around!! lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2011

Post #8783942

Will, I understand completely about talking in front of people, as I have gotten older I figured out everyone sitting out there would be terrified to get up and talk and some how that makes it feel easier, plus I knew everyone and it is a subject I love, my tropical plants. I spoke about elephant ears, voodoo lily which no one knew about and I love that plant and had lots of questions, brugmansia which is another plant that I love, it was soooo easy to talk.

I can tell you this it is so nice to come home to a clean garden and a clean house. The only thing I have left I want to clean is the storage shed and the storage room in the house and I will feel like I really accomplished something.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8783984

I need to weed around my flowers before fall is over then I will feel great!! And get my witch hazels planted along with a few other plants. lol. Gotta figure out what to do with my magnolia. My dad says no way am I planting it. lol. I need a couple more climbing roses but the good nurseries want you to order 3 at a time and I don't need 3. Or they charge outrageous shipping. Get radishes in the ground, mulch a few places and bring tropicals in and I'm good!! I need t o get my plumeria in a pot quick.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2011

Post #8784017

Pepper your list isn't bad to get done. Why won't he let you plant a magnolia?

Will, my witch hazel is doing great, I don't have it planted yet, because I am not sure where to put it, I want it where I can see it bloom in late winter which will have to be by the drive way because I don't usually go strolling thru the gardens in the winter...rofl. Especially the last few years.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8784043

I would love to get some Witch Hazel started. I'm in the back yard all the time with the doggies and going out to feed the aminals. (no, that's not a typo. that's what I call them. lol)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8784170

Oh Crit I am not a cold person AT ALL! When I lived in Colorado I skiied all the time and loved it, but Missouri winters have been horrible, cold, windy, and way toooo much snow and nothing fun to do. Up on this hill the wind blows like crazy! ughhh.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8784516

I tried to ski one time, spent more time on my butt than on my ski's!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8784739

That is how everyone learns to ski...rofl.

Kansas City has one of the biggest ski clubs in the nation and when I was single I would go with them skiing, then I got married and DH doesn't ski, so we started going to the beaches which is a much better idea...rofl.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 30, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8784801

I skied a lot in the 60's. There were no snow boards or hot dog types then. Just enjoyable skiing.
Of course a little parting in the chalet! Winter of 66-67 I had 43 lift tickets on my jacket! We skied almost daily.
Oh, did I mention, lift tickets were $3 most places. Big hills in upper Michigan were $5.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8784839

Wowzer that is alot of ski tickets... ;) We were in the military when I lived in Colorado Springs and we could rent skis for nothing and lift tickets were nothing thru the military, course back then the miliary were paid nothing...rofl. We were lucky tho cause I always worked so we had some extra money. Ski trips thru the club in KC were a riot. Now I do want to say the ski club had/has family ski trips and ski trips for kids and I am sure they were different but for the single ski trips were alot of fun.

We went to Reno, NV for a week, ski all day, casinos/party all night, and truely thought that trip might kills us, our hotel room was for changing clothes because no one was sleeping...rofl. Then we went to Taos, NM on a train, 2 rail cars full of skiers, and of course we owned the club car...rofl. I got married right after that trip and every time I have a anniversary my friend says OMG it has been that long since I had fun! rofl. Mostly we skied in Colorado. Never skied in MN, Utah, or places up North.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8784944

I am glad Will mentioned being cautionary with the finger. When my husband's hand was hurt, the "hand" dr wanted to do surgery cutting a tendon. The P. therapist suggested getting a second opinion. The second dr. said "NO way" to give it time to heal. We did and it did.
Then, my dad called one day telling me he was set up for a pace maker the following week. I told him to get a second opinion. He did and the second cardiologist said "no way". Dad lived a long time after that.
Then, there's the ophthalmologist that tells the pt. he/she needs emergency glaucoma surgery and has them coming back all the time for check ups.
I could go on, but I won't. I highly recommend second opinions before a surgery.

I have been enjoying the cooler, dryer air. We have soooo much humidity. It's usually above 50%. Last evening, it was 29%.
Even though the temps were hot: 89*, it was quite tolerable. Like happ, I have been doing a lot of weeding. We're putting Preen in areas we don't want any annuals to re-seed. The ground in some places is sprinkled with weed seeds after we pull the weeds out. It's just been so nice to be able to go outside and get something done. The accomplishment feels so satisfiying.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8785014

I should put preen down where I have those purple cone flowers, I sure don't need any more of those. This year they just fried and the finches are already eating the seeds or I would yank them all out. I figured out I can pull them from the stem and if any root is left I pot it up for our plant sale, it doesn't care that I don't dig it...that is called tough!

What perennials do you all have blooming now? I have a plant called turtles head that has a purple bloom that I think could be pretty agressive if it wasn't planted where it is surprise lilies just stopped blooming, I have a couple of reblooming daylilies and if I would get some rain I think I would have more, a few roses, sweet autumn clematis is about to burst open, and some mums...always trying to find fall blooming flowers, oh yeah autumn joy.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8785727

I have 2 mums blooming, salvia that reseeds every year, toothache plant which is neat looking, and none of my roses are doing anything that I know of. Sucks. In a few days I plan on eye shopping for roses and maybe get a few though I only want and need 1. lol.

That's pretty much it on blooming right now. Weeds of course blooming. lol

My dad won't me plant the magnolia because it gets so big and we really don't have a good spot for it. I'm thinking that I will just move it to a bigger pot when I dump out my pots for the season. Then just shove it in the corner for winter.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8785901

Glad to hear the Witch Hazel is doing great, happ. The state of MO. is selling them to MO. residents for $8 for 25 of them still. That's where I got them, if anybody wants to go in on some or anything, they don't open until Nov. tho. - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all If you want some, Crit, I'd have them sent here as the MO. resident!

Today, I potted the little Madagascar Palm seed package that my friend gave me this year. I don't know if any will come up, the packet said packed for 2010.

I've never been skiing or even played golf!

It is warming back up again here, 99 then 98, tomorrow and Thursday! - http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/64054:4:US Boy, was that light rain today ever a disappointment! I was in it when it was coming down and I was thinking, "oh good!" But, it wasn't even enuff to cover the ground or in my case, the windshield!

What kind of Magnolia, Pepper? Southern Magnolia or Saucer Magnolia? If it were me, I'd find room for a Southern Magnolia, a broadleaf Evergreen would be very nice to have! They DO take up a lot of room though, and closer to the bottom. And Saucer Magnolia is also neat, it is a great reminder that Spring is here, when it blooms.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8785903

Here's an even closer and clearer photo of the Cardinal Flower plant. I hope that's what it is, I'd like to have it for the Hummingbirds and for the color. I Googled it today and looked at some photos too, but I can't tell really.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8786442

Ohhhhhh, I would LOVE some "hot" 89* temps. Beats the triple digets we are having!

Will... that would be terrific. Thanks!

I love the smell of the big white magnolia flowers!

Time to get ready for work. Will let you know what the doc says and if I need a second opinion.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8786475

Oh I hope I remember to order some more in Nov...I would write a note but I would lose the note by then...rofl.
It rained lightly the biggest part of the day at my house, our air condidtioning went on the fritz last Sunday, but the house has been comfortable and DH has goofed around and thinks today he will call the ac guy out...have a funny feeling 1st off he probably won't make it today and 2nd when DH hears how much it will cost DH will decide to do it himself...which means I am guessing the house will be warmer today...rofl.

Hard to believe it is the end of August all ready. Wouldn't mind fall if winter didn't follow, or winter ended the end of December.. ;)

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8786777

Happ: put a note on the month of Nov. to order the plants. That's the way I have to do it!
Yes, that would be great if we could call winter over at the end of Dec! Summer seems to go by so fast and winter seems to stay around longer.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8787280

Oh birdy, I would love more summer, but I wonder if my body could keep up with what my minds wants...rofl. I know I am solar powered but I have noticed I am tireder (?) now than the beginning of summer, so is it I am worn out or lack of batteries being charged by the shorter days? hummmm? Other thing I can't quite figure out is why after all these months and all the playing in the gardens do I still get sore!!! You would think at some point my body would get use to it.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8787348

Well happ, it sounds like you have done a tremendous amount of work in your gardens lately. I still have to preen, mulch and re-seed poppies and larkspur. I need to move some perennials around, but not sure it's going to happen. Oh yes, then there's the little perennials I started from seed that I have been watering all summer. I wait until we are getting some fall rains before I plant them. It's so dry now, they would not make it, and I don't want to provide water for them.

Will, that "cardinal flower" sure looks pretty. I like the red in the leaves. Has it been confirmed it is a cardinal flower?

Does anyone have a good weed eater they like that is easy to maneuver? My husb. has one that requires a special blend of gas and is about 7 to 8 feet tall. It is in need of repair of some sort. I have never been able to use it. I'm way to short to control that big thing. I would like your input. I may post on Tool Shed. I think that's the name of the forum.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2011

Post #8787596

They make smaller ones. Just have to look for them. Try Feldmans or Tractor Supply. I don't trust Walmart on that stuff unless you don't mind if it only lasts a few years. The best thing to do is to just go look at them and hold them and move like you would if you were weed eating. Find a salesman who knows his stuff too. Makes a big difference.

I hope next weekend I get to get some stuff planted. Gonna be nice!! I need to get my bushes and other plants in the ground for the season.

Will, it's Magnolia 'Jane'. http://www.arborday.org/treeguide/treeDetail.cfm?id=259

Here are some more pics of it: http://www.google.com/search?q=magnolia+jane&hl=en&biw=1440&bih=763&prmd=ivnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9M9eTpPQIaT-sQL-8pEv&ved=0CDgQsAQ

I think it will do good in a pot. We have several in a pot at PG. They even put Christmas lights on them. I just need to find a way to keep them warm enough so they don't die on me. I need to do that with my dappled willow bush also. It gets huge so it's staying in a pot.

Silene Catchfly

Thumbnail by pepper23

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8787706

Never saw a catch fly before, do hummingbirds like it?
It is funny to walk around the house to water, it is kind of shocking how clean it is...rofl. No empty pots, bags of mulch, or anything sitting around. It would be nice if it stayed that way, but! LOL.

Anyone heard from Billyp?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8787720

She just posted today on weather. She's falling behind again. lol

Both hummers and butterflies like it. http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/royal_catchflyx.htm
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8787835

birdie...I got a lightweight battery operated weedeater called the Worx. I has a battery that you charge when it runs out. Battery life depends upon what you are eating. I usually run about 30 minutes before I have to recharge, which is about the time my battery runs out too! ^_^

Saw the hand doc this morning. He is suggesting surgery on my finger to reconnect the nerves. If I leave it, I have a 50% of them finding each other. Could take up to 2 years and don't know how much I might get back. I expect they are pretty frayed being ripped like they were. My plan was to get a 2nd opinion is the diagnosis was surgery, but he is going to be gone 2 weeks and wants to do it Friday night before he leaves. Yes, night...lol 7:30 p.m. He said I could wait until Sept. 13 when he gets back if I want to get a 2nd opinion. He said it could be done, but may not get as good results as I would if we do it now. I figure if he wants to do it at night before he leaves, it really should be done, so I'm going to do it. I really need to be able to feel that finger so I can type and run a calculator. That is important for the work that I do, and with going to have to apply for new jobs soon, I need to be able to pass typing tests! Pray for good results.

Time for bed. Nighty-night
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8789423

This thread is closed!! New thread for September!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217625/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America