-
AuthorContent
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8732407

My daugher wants me to cover this cushion for her chaise lounge. It is L shaped and need to put a zipper in the cushion. The only place I can think of to put the zipper is in the long end of the L. That is where the arm rest is and would not show there. Any other suggestions. She threw away the old cover so dont know where the zipper went in the old one.

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8732640

Sami, most cushions have the top piece, bottom piece, then the strip between the two for the depth of the cushion, right? I would imagine that the original cover had a zipper that was put in along the L, but also extended around the short left side in your pic (I'm looking at a Google chaise lounger pic and the left short side would be where it meets the back, like you would be sitting in it). Of course, I'm assuming that I'm looking at the bottom of the cushion as it stands in your pic...

In order to do that, one of the depth/edge strip would be cut long enough to insert the zipper into it, so it wraps around those 2 edges. (Cut in half lengthwise, creating 2 narrow pieces just like you would for pants or jackets, stitch in your zipper, secure the ends.) Then add enough depth/edge strips to go all the way around the cushion. Attach to top and bottom pieces, and it should work. Since it won't be flipped over to use both sides, could you split the bottom piece and install zipper/velcro down the center length of it?

Maybe heavy duty Velcro instead of a zipper? You can also overlap one of the pieces enough to make a 'flap' that would cover the opening/zipper/Velcro/whatever you use. Just be sure that when you cut the dimensions for your pattern, that you include enough for your seams. When we upholstered, even using the old cushion fabric, we allowed a little extra, then fitted it before sewing. If you have an old sheet, you could baste up a trial version first to see if you have the size right.

Maybe a local library would have some upholstery books you could browse thru for more ideas, and there are probably more upholstery people on here also that may be able to help you out. Hope I've given you some help, and not confused you more... LOL Good Luck!
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8732849

Thanks Kizmo. After I got to thinking about it I came up with the same thing you did. I split the L side of it because it goes to the back of the lounge. I am going to put a zipper in the side of it because it want show that way. I guess I was just brain dead and could not think at the time. I have so many projects going on at the moment. I made daughter a round table cloth for the umbrella at the community pool. They have a lot of parties there and she wanted something for the table. Also she has saved my grandsons Tshirts and wants me to make him a quilt out of them. I am glad my work keeps me home now and can do some things here.

Will post pic when I finish it.

Thumbnail by Sami

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8733360

You're welcome, glad I came up with a similar solution as you did!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8733887

Consider using velcro instead of a zipper. Lets you make a much larger opening for getting the cushion in.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8735227

Thanks Qwilter but my daughter has already bought the zipper. So I guess I will use that. But will consider that the next time.

Sami

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 3, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8735282

Actually zippers can be bought as long as you want them. JoAnn's has them on a roll.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

August 7, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8741554

Zippers on a roll huh? Hmmmmm
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8741561

Zippers on a roll are about to get expensive. They are the new "thing" for making jewelry & accessories. Even in the most recent Keepsake quilting mailing. Fall dresses are trimmed with them.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8758045

LOL... I can believe it. I used to ONLY be able to get Saddle shoes big enough for my wide feet. Until they became the "in thing" and then they were NO longer available in my size!
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8799903

I finished the cushion and it came out really nice. zipper went in ok. Thanks for all the info. I forgot to take a pic of the cushion. Just wanted to get it out of my way.

Sami

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 9, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8801538

No pic? :(
Congrats on getting it finished :)
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8803793

I'll get a picture of the cushion the next time I go to my daughters
Sami
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8807874

pic of chaise lounge. I would have picked a different color but that is what my daughter wanted. It is in their upstairs attic they converted to a game room.

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8812612

very nice!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8813119

You did a great job Sami. Is she happy with it????
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

September 18, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8813162

That turned out great Sami.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 25, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8823492

Excellent! I'd love one just like it in purple velvet (my husband would faint)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8823500

WELL... it is a fainting couch style isn't it?
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2011
10:31 AM

Post #8834326

thanks everyone. My daughter is very pleased with it. And yes it is a fainting sofa. I have a really old one that my son-in-law uses in his office. It is solid oak and has a lot of carved design in it.

Sami

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8834507

I always have to chuckle when I see these 'fainting' sofas... I remember those old movies where the "proper" ladies would pretend to faint, with their wrists to the forehead, while the men in the room would be all concerned and she would be peeking out the corner of her eye, watching to see how her favorite man would be reacting... LOL But I do love these sofas... especially the old ones!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America