Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Watching: DAILY BIRD PICS VOL. 410

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 134, Views: 818
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8732829

That last thread was almost too pretty! If you want to take another look, we came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1201609/

Share your favs of the day. Here's a White Ibis.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8732837

A Tricolored Heron and a Great Egret -- don't they look fascinated with something? I think they are even whispering to each other about it.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8732846

Another 2-fer -- one for bird watchers who like mammals too -- even non-native ones like this nutria with a little blue heron. The little blue was wary of me and kept backing off. I thinking he was enjoying the bugs or crawfish that the nutria was unearthing when it yanked up the plant life in this mostly dry pond bed.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8732853

Yellow-crowned Night Heron as seen through the reeds.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8732858

A juvi heron

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8732862

A blue-gray gnatcatcher. It's kind of a where's waldo picture.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 3, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8733675

Wonderful shots Elphaba! Love the White Ibis and the 2-fer's along with the others!

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8733816

Another great start! Thank you Elphy for the new thread. Awww, I'd love to see some of those Ibis here.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

August 3, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8734037

Anxious for Fall and the start of my birding season. Here is a early morning shot of a Mockingbird.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8734125

Oh my! It's been a bit since I have posted any birds. The heat is putting them into hiding. The last thread was great! I enjoyed it all.

Our place was taken over by Starlings for about a week. They seemed to have petered off for now. It was absolutely nuts the way they kept going after the windows (probably the bugs) and the roof has a new all natural coating on it. :P

Here is a mess of them bathing. Did you know a group of Starlings is called a "vulgarity" , "scourge" or "murmuration". There's a couple others, too, but I thought these were the most interesting. Never heard of a murmuration before.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8734130

Here is a Chipping Sparrow nest taken this past Saturday. Sunday the last egg was hatched. Oh, they were so sweet with heads about the size of peas.

Sadly, when my boys checked on it today, it was empty. There's no hope they could have fledged already is there? I'm suspecting something got them. It didn't seem very sheltered like they usually are. It was in some kind of flowering shrub with the bottom half dead.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8734132

We had some courting Mourning Doves last week. They gave quite a show with their strutting.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8734135

Another of the doves in love.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8734137

And a last one.

My 9 year old was having fits for a couple days hearing a House Wren and with its hopping about never getting a good picture. He finally got this one.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8734578

So many great photos in that last thread. Nice job everyone.

Elphaba, you sure started us off with some nice photos. The ibis and the yellow-crowned heron plus the two-fers were great.

GP, I'm still enjoying the warm sun, please don't ask for fall yet.lol

Chillybean, sorry about the nest-you're guess is probably right. Cute pictures, tell your son he did wonderful with his photo too.

This bushtit was one of several that enjoyed a shower this morning.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8734580

Our wood ducks are beginning to show up on the lake. I'm hoping for a good photo of a make soon.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8734592

We found this Western Grebe on a nest with one egg. Unfortunately this nest is too shallow and an anxious fisherman in a bass boat will probably wash the egg right into the water.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8734597

Here's a great egret that was chasing another one through the trees.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8734600

And last, a Canada Goose.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8735009

ducbucin, That shower looks so refreshing. I am a bit jealous of your Wood Ducks. They are a most beautiful duck. We had a male and female pair in our tree early one Saturday morning in May, but since we don't have any nearby bodies of water, they moved on. I have been tempted to see if we could mess up the field tile system around here to get a nice pond on our place, but I a sure that would be making someone upset.
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 3, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8735078

Great start! Lots of neat birds. We hiked Santa Fe Mountain this morning and flushed a covey of six Dusky Grouse. I spotted them on the ground and did a slow motion chase, following along trying to get a clear shot without flushing them, but stumbled over one I hadn't seen and they took wing. One flew into a tree and I got a pic anyway.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8735238

Now, where did dad go--I'm still hungry!!

Thumbnail by BCH521

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 3, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8735358

Great photos for the new thread, Elphaba. Thanks for switching us over.

Chilli, the Starlings showed up here too last week, but left again. It won't be long, before they return. Almost as soon as the Grackles leave. They'll have the run of the yard again.:(

Some juvie Merganser scrambling to get away from me. Wish the pic was better.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 3, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8735365

Goldfinch having a lunch.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 3, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8735370

A juvenile Grackle in the Crabapple tree.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 3, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8735375

Juvie Chipping Sparrow.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8736234

Some very nice pics. of nesting activity there everyone. It's such a joy to witness successful fledglings, and I do get very blue when I see those that didn't have a chance at the start. A juvie Housefinch discovering the feeder this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 4, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8736690

Wonderful shots guys!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8736785

Red, great photo of the grouse!

Burn, love all your birds too. That grackle looks so cute.

Lily, cute little finch in the feeder.

Here's a young brown-headed cowbird.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8736789

A juvenile pied-billed grebe. I'm hoping to find a younger one soon.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8736791

A Black-crowned Night Heron.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8736795

Big Foot had an itch...

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8736798

A great blue heron.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8736907

My close encounter with a hawk...

A few evenings ago, I was at my "secret pond" location. My Green Heron kids had already fledged, and I wasn't getting any shots of them around the pond. I was taking pics of dragonflies, and had walked back one last time to the GH nesting tree to see if they would return there to roost. I saw a bird in the tree, and was trying to get a closer look when something flew in from my left and hit the bird on the limb! There was a splash, and I was thinking that two GHs just hit the water. I moved a few feet to my right to get a better look... and this guy landed on the bank at my feet, not more than eight feet away! He was stunned... I was stunned! I managed to get this one shot before he flew off (full frame). I did manage to see that the bird he had in his talons was too small to be a Greenie. A few minutes later, I spotted an Eastern Kingbird calling and calling in distress from the top of a tree nearby. I think she lost her mate, or an offspring in the encounter. ID'd as a Cooper's Hawk.

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 5, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8738194

What welcome home! 109 degree heat and the market tanks 500 points. I was on the road yesterday, so no pics. Here is another shot of one of the Bushtits in Santa Fe from a few days ago.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8738245

Such a cute pic Red. Are those lacewing eggs he's about to eat? Awesome shot of that grouse!

Duc, nice capture of the black cap on that Night Heron and love the grebe.

Chilly, sorry about the nest. Everything has to eat something. Wish they'd eat house sparrows and doves though!

VA -- had a similar close encounter with a Cooper's Hawk myself a few days ago. Made my heart skip a beat too. They are so awesome. I didn't get a pic though -- nice shot.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8738296

Red, welcome back home. It really terrible the market tanks! Hope things are worse -- getting bottom out before it gets better? Thank you for having shared so many interesting birds from Santa Fe. I just love it to find birds hang up side down, right side up for whatever they were going after! Bushtit would be one of my lifer if I see one. Looking forward to seeing them and Western hummingbirds on my trip out West. Nice pics. Chilly, Duc and VA.

Ah hah, finally I found someone who's enjoying my figs before they go to waste. lol The fruits are tastety, but they're too high up to reach. Not so high and out of reach for this juvie Cardinal. :-)

This message was edited Aug 5, 2011 7:46 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 5, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8738670

elphaba, not sure what that is that Bushtit is eating. I didn't see it until I was editing pics.

lily, earlier you asked me what kind of tree the finch and tanager were in. I don't know. I asked a couple of yard guys that were doing the lawn and the one I asked said he didn't know, he is from Mexico. I asked the other guy if he knew and he didn't answer, the first said "He don't know either. He is from Guatamala." I tried.:-)

Since I'm on here and it's so hot, I'm going to post something that reminds us this will pass.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 5, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8739311

Wonderful shots, everyone. Great start, Elphaba. Things are pretty quiet around here, bird wise, but I managed a couple of shots of a couple of Little Corellas in the yard yesterday.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 5, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8739312

Thumbnail by MargaretK

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8739943

VA, sorry about the hawk experience.

Red, cute shot of the bushtit! Sweet little junco too.

Lily, glad the little cardinal is enjoying the fruit.

Margaret, your little corellas are just adorable.

I think this is the same bullock's oriole with the bad feet that was here several weeks ago. He can't stand very well on the perch of a feeder so I put it out on the table for him.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8739944

Poor little guy is molting too and just doesn't look his best, but he is enjoying the sugar water on the table.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8739946

This isn't one of my best pictures because the acorn woodpecker was in deep shade, but when I downloaded the photo, I found it had a bug on the bill and in its mouth.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8739948

Here's an oak titmouse.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8740536

Hah, I've to look up "Hades" to read a little bit about the myth on the Greek Gods, lol Red, yes this too shall pass. Margaret, love your corollas too, and Duc, love the Oak timouse, and the Acorn woodpecker ummm, he looks like a meannyyy. lol.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8740765

I am having a hard time with this computer. Maybe it is because I haven't been using it for some time.this is the third message I have tried to write and send. Took me longer than I though to recover from the hip joint revision surgery. I finally have been able to walk without too much trouble if I am very careful . I sure don't want to fall and have to go thru it again.

My daughter came out from DC to spend 3 weeks with me for her vacation. She did lots of garden work for me which I greatly appreciated. She had to go home JUly 16 th.We did some fun things too. I have been just about able to keep up with the irrigating. Don't really have enough water but do the best I can.

There were I think more than 10 pairs of Orioles here , making nests and eating grape jelly, I could not keep the jelly containers full. Now I think only one pair still around. I have two netting type feeders for the Goldfinches, I keep a mix of finely chopped sunflower seed & nyjer see in them . There are several pine siskins fighting with them for that seed.

I saw 2 pair of parent quail with about 15 or so maybe 3 day old chicks bringing them into the yard to show them where the free seed is, this morning. The phoebes have raised at least two family's of young.

I went for a short drive up in the hills this morning and caught a glimpse of a Western Tanager, couldn't get a picture tho.

Also I have a problem animal in my yard. I haven't seen it for a couple of weeks but am afraid it is still around. It is too fast and quick for me to get a picture, it is a small long tailed weasel. It killed one of my banty hens and several quail, and also a packrat, for that I am thankful but not for the kills.

I should tell you all that on July 29th I had to have an emergency appendectomy. There were no surgeons available closer than130 miles. All of my friends were also busy with previous plans, so I had to go by ambulance to hosp. Arrived there 7:30 pm and the Doctor removed the appendix at 10:30 that night. Luckily my son could again make a trip from the coast 6 hours from here but 3 hours from the hosp. to take me home. All okay now.

Maybe soon I will be able to contribute a photo or two. I really appreciate the you all take photos and send them along for the rest of us.

Donna
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 6, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8740960

So sorry to hear, you had to go through another surgery, Donna. You have had, a bad year! Glad to hear, your on the mend. Wishing you, a speedy recovery, so you can enjoy the things, you love to do.

As always, a great thread everybody.

This bird house is well used, by the birds. A good resting spot.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 6, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8740966

Now it's the Robin's turn, to stop on the roof of the same birdhouse.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 6, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8740980

A lifer for me, love the expression on this Black and White Warbler.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 6, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8740984

Black-capped Chickadee.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

August 6, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8741070

Wow, what a bit of surgery to go through. I cried & cried when I found that I had to have my appendix out. Of course I was only 10 at the time. glad that you are safely home.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8741441

Donna, I'm glad to see you're back and that your're doing well after surgery. Thank you for taking the time to write. Looking forward to seeing your pix. Burn, congrats on your 'lifer'. such cute expression on that warbler. Nice bird house for perching. Hi IrisMA

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8741494

Wow, just wrote a long message about how much I loved y'alls pics and then it wigged out on me and I have to start over, so I'm going to be brief!

Margaret, beautiful! Surprisingly, the dead palm branch sets that pretty white bird off nicely.

Burn, love the black and white warblers pose. Nice shots.

Duc, love acorn woodpeckers but don't you just hate it when one bug eater eats another one?

Lily, so jealous of you and your cardinal. I have a fig, but the fruit is always eaten before it matures. I've never gotten to taste one.

Donna, so sorry to hear that you had to endure such a long and painful ordeal. I wish you well. Sounds like you enjoyed some lovely birds this summer.

Here's a juvi house finch. Doesn't he look sad to be turning red? Really, he was just hot. It was 99 in the shade.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8741503

I should save this one for Halloween, but if you're like me, you won't remember it if I post it again on Halloween! In fact, I won't remember to post it on Halloween. In fact, when Halloween rolls around I'll probably say to myself "gee I wish I had a pic of a bird on that witch weathervane." Totally losin' it!

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8741526

Elphy, that last post is priceless! I volunteer to remind you to repost that pix at Holloween. Here goes: Elphy remember to post that adorable cardinal pic on the witch weathervane for Holloween! ('cause leave it up to me, by then I'll forget to remind you. lol

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8741540

Lots of nice pics here... I love all the Herons! I finally did get a another bad shot or 2 of the juvie Pileated. Love that they always have that knot all up!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8741545

Adult & juvie...not sure that they were necessarily together as the juvie took off alone!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8741557

Thanks all for your messages. Hope to be taking photos soon
So enjoy all that the rest of you send along.

Donna
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8742317

Donna, you sure had a rough time with your appendix-glad to hear you made it to the hospital before it burst. Get well soon!

Burn, great photos of your birds. Congrats on the lifer!

Elphaba, cute male finch. Lol on that halloween picture!

Nanny, I'm drooling again. That juvie pileated is adorable!

The bushtits are here every morning just after we water the garden. They love to bathe in the wet leaves or in the birdbaths.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8742321

Here's a cute oriole from a few days ago.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8742326

The juvenile spotted towhees are still hiding out in the shade.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8742330

Here's a cute juvenile bewick's wren.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 7, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8742366

We actually got a break from the 100+ temps today. It has been overcast all day, so I thought I'd get out and see if any wildlife was moving. Some turkeys that were out in the open mid-afternoon. Unusual, but nice.

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 7, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8742371

A crop of a photo in sequence with the one above. These are both gobblers. Although it is not mating season, I did some soft hen yelps from my hiding spot and got one of the gobblers to display. Made for a much more interesting photo.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2011 2:29 PM

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 7, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8742382

Another of two gobblers and a hen.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8742451

Red, gorgeous turkey shots!

Duc, beautiful! I'm about to share a wren and an oriole pic that are so beneath the bar you've set, but that's my job -- to make the less talented feel welcome.

I was hoping this wren was a Bewicks b/c no buff coloring on the breast and very dark tail and wings, but I'm sure it's just an ugly Carolina. It's especially ugly in this pic. No idea what he was doing in this hanging basket that messed up his hairdo. He was in there a long time though. It's kind of washed out, but so funny lookin' that I had to share anyway.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8742457

This was the prettiest orchard oriole and only the 2nd time that I've seen the male this summer. Took 5 lousy pictures. This one is the least likely to cause seizures.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8742465

Finally got one of the hummer where his throat doesn't look black -- not very ruby looking, but at least not black!

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8742579

Hey Nanny, forgot to tell you how cool that juvi pileated looks. Love that bright red mohawk!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 7, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8742981

I got thses today after the storm, we had just put fresh nectar into the single feeders, and I got this one and the next one. I think I am getting better.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 7, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8742986

I am going to continue to try to keep getting pictures of the hummers, but it aint easy, they don't stay in one place very darn long.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 8, 2011
3:46 AM

Post #8743636

Enjoy those hummers, teddy! I had a Black-chinned male on the feeder outside my study window yesterday, got a good look at him, but can't take pics through the shutters.

I passed a couple of juvie Scissortails on our drive yesterday and did a double-take on the female. She had the most orange color on her I've seen on one of these birds. I turned around and went back and both birds continued to sit on the cable fence for shots from the car.

The juvie female.

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 8, 2011
3:47 AM

Post #8743637

The juvie male Scissortail. Notice the sharp point of the upper bill, slightly over-grown. I suspect that now they are out on their own, that beak will get worn down to normal.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2011 4:51 AM

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 8, 2011
3:54 AM

Post #8743645

Lots of Great Egrets and Blue Herons around Lake Thunderbird. Saw this one solitary Yellow-crowned Night Heron.

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 8, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8743650

When it's super hot and the lake is low, there are always dead fish for the clean-up crew and they were out in force. Note the one black-headed vulture, this is not a Black Vulture, but a juvenile Turkey Vulture.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2011 4:59 AM

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2011
4:23 AM

Post #8743673

reddirtretiree wrote:I passed a couple of juvie Scissortails on our drive yesterday and did a double-take on the female. She had the most orange color on her I've seen on one of these birds. I turned around and went back and both birds continued to sit on the cable fence for shots from the car.

The juvie female.

Hi Red - those are both adults, in post-breeding moult. Juveniles only have pale yellowish flanks and underwing, not orange at all, and also (being in fresh juvenile plumage) would be much neater and 'cleaner'-looking. It is the loss of the old feathers that makes them look tatty and dishevelled, and in one of them, short-tailed. When they have finished moulting in a few weeks, they'll look neat and fresh again with fully developed tails.

Resin

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8743677

reddirtretiree wrote:When it's super hot and the lake is low, there are always dead fish for the clean-up crew and they were out in force. Note the one black-headed vulture, this is not a Black Vulture, but a juvenile Turkey Vulture.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2011 4:59 AM

Actually, it is a Black Vulture ;-) note the 'lawyer's wig' it has

Resin
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 8, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8743745

Thanks, resin. Sometimes I summarily dismiss a close look at birds like that vulture. I'm used to seeing juvies with older birds this time of year. We do have both TV's and Black Vultures around Lake Thunderbird, but rarely do I see them perched together. I need to pay closer attention.

Just had breakfast on the patio and saw the pair of Scissortails that frequent the field back there. They flew into the yard and landed in my little Live Oak tree. Both of them were molting and neither had the tell-tale scissor-tail. Guess it's that time of year. No pic, didn't have a camera.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2011 6:35 AM
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 8, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8743867

Great shots from everyone!

Love seeing the Pileated, Herons, Wrens,Hummers, Scissortail and Orioles!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 8, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8745016

Just call me the Hummingbird lady, I have been getting great shots of those living,flying jewels, here are some of them.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 8, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8745025

She is hiding her face, she is shy,lol!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8745206

Very nice teddy!

Crow on the fence...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 9, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8746257

This little lady was getting the ants off of the feeder, when they eat here, they get ants as well as nectar, yesterday I was sitting next to the lattice and you know those two single feeders at the corners of the flower bed? I was not two feet from that feeder and the hummers came and ate out of it with no problem, this one even turned and looked at me and then went back to eating, it might have been my red hat that they were attracted to, but they were all around yesterday, it was great!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8746269

Just have one or two Baltimore Orioles around now...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 9, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8746279

Nice shots nanny and teddy!

We had at least 6 Hummingbirds here yesterday but there was so much chasing going on I couldn't get a pic. :-)

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8746685

I had 4 hummers this morning...I didn't have the camera with me at the time.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 9, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8746853

That has happened to me a lot lately, I was outside with a container that had nectar in it, it was orange, one of the hummers was almost drinking out of it but got spooked and flew. One was real curious and was almost in my face, although the bright red shirt might have something to do with it. I was putting some more nectar in the single feeder and one was checking me out.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 9, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8747531

I was trying to take pics after the storms rolled through, there were two hummers that had been playing all day together and around us, and they were flying and chittering around me because I had the red shirt on again, and I got one with the flash on the camera, I was standing just about that close and there was another one on the other feeder but it flew when I turned around. I also got good pictures of the hailstones we got and also the rain when the second one came through.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 9, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8747550

Here is the rain, I was surprised to get good pics of rain. Usually it is very hard to get pics of it, but I got lucky, I wanted to get the steam rising off the pavement after the hailstones, but had a problem getting focused.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8748157

Very exciting to have hummers on the move! My little male is still hanging around. In fact, he is right outside the window now, but I don't have my camera!

I got a lifer yesterday! I did not get a good picture of it, but I did get a very good look at it. It soared low right over me -- a gorgeous swallow-tailed kite!

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8748159

Also saw a group of Western Kingbirds. We were near Victoria.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8748176

My hummers are still here, too. Congrats Elphy on your lifer. I haven't seen one of those Kites myself. Cool Western Kingbird.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8748545

Well, this was a surprise. This is the only time I've ever seen a hawk here in the summer.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 10, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8748732

Nice shot of the Coopers Hawk Mrs Ed!

Nice pics everyone!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8748930

Congratulations on the lifer, Elphaba! That's a beautiful bird.
I also enjoyed all the others, too. We're not seeing a lot of birds, but still hear the Dickcissels and Chipping Sparrows. Surprisingly, we did see what we believe is a Red-tailed Hawk. It was facing away from us as we drove up the road. Here is when it took off. It actually was the best pic of the bunch.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8749239

Interesting silhouette Chily.

I had two nice yellow birds today. The first is this female orchard oriole.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8749243

The second is a sign that fall is upon us even if it is 100+ degrees outside. My first warbler since last spring, a Yellow Warbler.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8749308

Great photos everyone. Sorry I've gotten behind once again.

We spent the day yesterday on the coast searching for birds that might not come to our lake. The town of Mendocino (CA) is known as a tourist spot, but it also sits along one of the state parks. Fortunately the foul weather that was predicted changed to warm and sunny by mid morning and it was great for photos. The only problem was we couldn't locate many birds even after searching another state park down the road. I was only able to locate one oystercatcher which was on my list and it was really too far away.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8749312

This osprey was pretty vocal when it continued to fly up to and past a western gull.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8749314

It wasn't until I got home and checked my photos that I found the reason for the osprey causing such a ruckous. The gull had a juvenile on a nest and had been feeding it.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8749319

A small flock of brown pelicans did quickly appear (almost too close to us) and then quickly disappear as they dipped down into the ocean below us.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8749321

I managed to get one closeup photo.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8749323

We found lots of driftwood stacked on the shore, but you can't remove it from state parks. The owner of this house did manage to find some and apparently uses it as his garden art.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 11, 2011
2:12 AM

Post #8749853

Wonderful shots duc! Love the Pelican. Glad the weather was nice for you.

Good ones Elphaba!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

August 11, 2011
3:04 AM

Post #8749865

I heard the migrating Candian Geece for the first time this morning. Early in the day for me but they were honking away so evidently got an early start.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 11, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8750368

Sunbird looking for nectar in Holmskioldia flowers. It's my dream to capture that still wing on camera. I had no time to adjust the speed 1/200 which was set. It suddenly came in and it changes places so quickly it is hard to focus, leave alone adjusting settings. But I'll plan to plan a wait for that one!

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 11, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8750375

I suddenly remembered I should link my blogpost here, about two birds nested in our garden. Hope you will enjoy reading that post: http://mysoreanmusings.blogspot.com/2011/07/our-garden-hosts-two-bird-nests.html

Here is a second shot I took unwittingly.

Thumbnail by Dinu

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

August 11, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8750420

It has a fast wingbeat doesn't it. I can see how it would be difficult to catch a good photo.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8750947

I never thought the roof as being a very comfy place, but this house sparrow did. I think it was fresh from the nest.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8750951

For three days last week, we had a visiting rock pigeon. It's leg was banded, but we were never able to see the numbers. I got a kick out of this picture.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8750960

Dinu, thank you for sharing your birds' photos with us via DG. Great writing about their nesting too. Many thanks. CB, nice ones.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 11, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8751109

Success! I have been trying to hand feed Hummingbirds for the last 3 years, tonight I had partial success, I have been sitting as close as I could without spooking them, and tonight I thought if I could get any closer, I took one of the single feeders and held it in my hand, and they ate out of it! I could not believe it, I was sitting in my chair and holding the feeder pretty close and the hummer came and flew around and ate out of the feeder while it was in my hand, of course no camera, but I would not lie about anything like that, tomorrow I will try to feed them from a cap that I have, it is not very big and I will see if I can do that and maybe my hubby can get a picture. My feet won't touch the ground for a week!!!!!!!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 11, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8751177

Congratulation on your success Teddy! it sure must of been a thrill, hope he come for your hand.
Enjoyed your shots and comments everyone.

Chipping Sparrow with a bad leg. He will only use his bad leg to balance himself and them fold it to it's body.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 11, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8751186

This is the Song Sparrow with only one leg, feeding a fledgling. He get around really well.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 11, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8751202

The Black-capped Chickadee are still playing around. I saw 4 chasing each other, in the tree.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 11, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8751211

A Downy woodpecker, on the bench.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 11, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8751223

Purple Finch figuring is entrance to the cage.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8751704

Sweet looking Purple Finch figuring out its obstacle, Burn. Is the Downy a juvie? Sweet Black cap Chickadee, and the one legged Sparrow, he didn't let his handicap slow him down on rearing his young. Love that pic.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8751755

Nice ones burn! Love the downy.

Congrats Teddy, I wondered how people managed to do the hand feeding.

Ran out of safflower seed today, so put regular seed in the little bird feeders. I'm overrun with house sparrows. Must go buy safflower seed pronto!
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 12, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8752152

Good shots, burn. Even if you are picking on cripples. :-) Took a drive around Lake Thunderbird this a.m. Saw the regulars and notables Yellow Warbler, Bell's Vireo, Baltimore Orioles and this Mississippi Kite eating a cicada.

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 12, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8752155

Another shot of the kite.

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 12, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8752160

Three Indigo Buntings were feeding on Johnson Grass heads near the South Canadian River in Norman. Lots of Cattle Egrets flying.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8752784

ooooo...LOVE that Kite!!!!!
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 13, 2011
2:08 AM

Post #8753243

Wonderful shots Chilly, burn and red!!
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 13, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8753326

I was able to put some fill light in this pic of the juvenile Mississippi Kite. People often see juveniles and mistake them for some other hawk because their coloring is so different from adults.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8753336

Those are impressive looking kites, Red.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8753510

Still got that impressive ruby-red eye, though!

Resin

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8753613

WOW!!!!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 13, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8753646

Think I am going to stop trying to feed the Hummingbirds from the cap, there is too much traffic this weekend, and too many feeders and flowers, so they probably won't be interested in a red cap. What month do they start to migrate? If I did not know better, I would say it was now, they have been hitting the single feeders like mad, we may have to start using sugar water because we are almost out of nectar. The only problem we have is bees and ants, I put some Vicks on the shepherds hooks that they are on and that stopped them for a few minutes but then they started again, and the bees are a problem too. The hummers are smart, they stay away until the bees go away and they zoom in and eat, this one little lady yesterday must have been real hungry, she hovered there for I know must have been at least 3 minutes eating, until a bee interrupted her meal. They have gotten real used to us, they buzz around us all the time, the other day one landed on my hubby's knee and perched there for a second, it was so beautiful. Any advice on how to keep the bees away would be appreciated, thanks.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8753665

Teddy, they do start migrating in mid-july I believe. It is on here, as I have a couple a day now. For me it is usually August 1 to October 10 ish.

Now, to the nectar. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you should NOT be using that red nectar. It's bad for them. I'll find a link and post later, unless someone has it handy now.

For bees, I don't know anything besides bee guards.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

August 13, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8753874

Thank you Mrs._Ed, I was wondering about the time, it seems earlier this year, I hate to see the time come because I spend the whole winter wondering if they made it and if they will come back. Our Mama Hummer always comes back every spring and she always goes to the same spot. She usually has a nest made in the Cottonwood Tree out front and when her babies are born, she brings them down to teach them how to eat out of the feeders. We have a small hummer(I know, I know they are all small), I mean really small, I got a good look at it as it was eating next to me, it is half that size of the adult hummer. I had my fingers so close to the feeder that when she came to eat, I could feel the air off her tiny wings as she hovered. But the bees chase them away sometimes so they just go to the other feeder that does not have bees on them.
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 13, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8753949

The early migrants are starting, saw some Black Terns this a.m. and American Avocets. An avocet.

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 13, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8753952

A mature and juvenile Mourning Dove.

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

August 13, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8753954

And a Killdeer.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8753958

Nice pics, everyone!

Time to move on to Vol. 411, please head here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1210279/

Resin

This message was edited Aug 13, 2011 7:21 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America