Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: What are my hummers doing

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 2, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8733354

I have automatic irrigation. I also have Moy Grande Hardy Hibiscus in a bed near the dichondra lawn.

The lawn is watered with sprayers. They over spray and get the very large leaves of the Hardy Hibiscus wet.

Immediately after the cycle is done, the hummers come and roll around on the leaves, scoot on their bellies and then take off. This is the first year for this behavior and it is early at sunrise. But at sunrise we are at a low of 85 degrees.

Are they cooling off or taking a bath?

And it is totally delightful to watch. And again, one can only be there at a time.
flowerchik1
Guyton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8741760

I am so jealous. Sounds like they are bathing to me. I even bought a mister in hopes of seeing the hummingbirds play in the water. No luck though. Those little ones are so busy guarding the feeders they won't even take a break.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8742109

Sharon - My hummers love to sit at the feeders or on a tree branch (generally a dead branch) during a light rain or even a heavier steady rain (but no thunderstorms, thank you) and bathe. They love to alternate between bathing and drinking sugar water (multitasking?)

I've never actually seen them bathing on any of my wet leaves leaves, though I bet they do it all the time. Anyway, I decided to see how common it really was so I started looking online and apparently it's a super-common behavior. They LOVE to bathe in the water left on leaves and then will sit and preen all their feathers.

Have you had a hotter Summer this year? If so, maybe that's why you're seeing it.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 7, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8742379

Actually we are cooler this year and have only been at 110 twice. They, up until this year, bathed in thr KOI pond waterfall area. Something has changed. I will have to take a close look at the water fall. Something is spooking them off.

Last year one afternoon I was spraying down some plants after a very hot day and the hummers kept flying through the stream of water. And when the feeder is empty, they come and let me know with their chatter.
flowerchik1
Guyton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8743731

The hummers are so much fun to watch. They seem so fearless. Sometimes when I fill the feeders I will stand back and watch for a few minutes and a few will actually fly up right in front of me to check me out; it is almost like a dog looking at me with it's head cocked in a inquisitive way.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America