Can GMOs Help End World Hunger?

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Interesting article, especially considering that it's from a mainstream source like AOL Healthy Living:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-robbins/gmo-food_b_914968.html

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

NO! GMO's will not save the world's hungry

As informed home gardeners, we should do our best to save our own seeds and share them with like-minded individuals. That is, until the day we are told "backyard vegetable gardening is illegal" - it's already illegal in front yards in some communities!

Honeybee, of course they won't. That was the name of the article and it made interesting reading. I wasn't sure where it was headed and was pleased to see that they mentioned a lot of the issues that are raised on other sites.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I found this one line to be a particularly succinct explanation of the whole GM industry:

"With rare exceptions, genetically engineered crops are being created not because they're productive or because they address real human needs, but because they're patentable."

I know; kinda grabs you, doesn't it?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

It really did. When I read that line I stopped reading. I went back and read it again. And then again.

It really gets to the "heart" of the matter . . . unfortunately, it reveals that there is no heart as far as these companies (Monsanto especially) are concerned.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I find the whole idea of a handful of companies holding patents on the seeds we grow for food: scary as heck!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Maybe life forms shouldn't be patentable.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

AYankeeCat - I think sane people put forth that argument, but our insane Government allowed it anyway!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.