Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
EglantineLady
Livermore, CA

August 3, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8734811

I do not know if this is the right forum to handle my question: I have had bad luck with the Blue Lake pole bean seeds I have bought from Park Seed in recent years. Previously the beans were true but about seven years ago I realized that I had another, and inferior, bean growing on my trellis of Blue Lake pole beans. I reported this to Park and they acknowledged that a "rogue" bean was in that years pole beans. Unfortunately this had happened again this year. Aany who grows pole beans is aware that it is at least two months before you realize that you have a worthless bean among the ones you like.

I hope that there is someone in this group who has had experience growing Blue Lake on poles and can recommend a more reliable seed supplier. Anticipating your answer.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8736014

Parks has had its problems the last few years. I would suggest http://www.territorialseed.com/product/506/pole_bean_seed http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_005-4.html Blue Lake pole is pretty widely available, so You can find dozens of companies selling it.
bill_ho
Madison, AL

December 28, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9369279

Planted a 50' double row consisting of Rattlesnake and Blue Lake pole beans and Florida Speckled butterbeans last year. Rattlesnake were of outstanding taste and fair, but short life vines, 7-8 ft. tall. Blue Lake produded 12-14 ft. vines, outgrowing my canes, grew all season, but produced very few beans. Speckled butterbeans were about the same growth habit with only one picking in mid November (yes, Nov in N. AL) Will not try either of the later again.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9373925

bill-ho, why all the bad luck with your pole beans? I planted pole beans too, & they made plenty of vines, lots of flowers, but few beans. I'm thinking the squirrels ate all the tiny beans & flowers. I had fencing around to keep rabbits out, but the squirrels might have climbed into & over the fencing. If its not the voles eating my potatoes, its the squirrels.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9376543

I have had good success with Victory Seeds and Baker Creek Seeds.
bill_ho
Madison, AL

January 24, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9396255

behillman wrote:bill-ho, why all the bad luck with your pole beans? I planted pole beans too, & they made plenty of vines, lots of flowers, but few beans. I'm thinking the squirrels ate all the tiny beans & flowers. I had fencing around to keep rabbits out, but the squirrels might have climbed into & over the fencing. If its not the voles eating my potatoes, its the squirrels.

Haven't heard of squirrels eating beans -- my Blue Lake had few blooms, just vines and foliage. Will plant the Rattlesnake and Fortex this spring.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

January 24, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9396334

Sounds like you guys need to get an almanc and check out the best planting days. I learned the hard way not to plant on bloom days. I thought it was just a bunch of old timer talk until I planted my butter beans on bloom day one year and watched them bloom until I cut them down in November.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9400214

Interesting Jim. I had a couple of older moon planters in my younger days, tell about the dangers of planting butterbeans "When the old Lady was holding the bloom" thier expression for bloom days. For the next several years I managed to plant on the dates specified and every time got much better production than they did. I have had the experience of continuous bloom drop on limas from time to time. But it did not coincide with bloom days. Hot and dry at first set seems more of a factor.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9400431

I go by the Old Farmer's Almanac in regards to planting guides. The first thing I thought of when you all were saying you had poor flower set was too hot temps at night. I my area that was a problem last year. And just maybe too much nitrogen. I have much better luck with the Italian flat green beans when the night temps start to rise.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

January 28, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9400442

It very well might be an old wifes tale but you never no. We do know that the moon has an effect on certain things like the tides and even human behavior. I have a frien that is a police officer and he dreads to see the moon full because of the increase in violent crime. My granddad was a super gardener and he planted everything by the stages of the moon. He didn't use an almanac, he just knew what they were. My dad was the best gardener I knew and he didn't pay any attention to any of that. He primarily went by how warm the soil was and if he had his seed beds like he wanted them. About the only thing I know he went by other than that was he liked to plant on good Friday.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9400467

Bro. Jim,
WHAT did your dad plant on Good Friday?
Jim41
Delhi, LA

January 28, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9400810

He planted every thing but field peas. He planted green beans earlier than that. Butter beans, squash, okra, lettuce, radishes, beets, just about anything you plant in the garden. Field peas he would plant sometime about the first of May.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
12:51 AM

Post #9403401

I grow blue lake from saved seed and they seem to be fine.They must not be hibred

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America