Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: Anyone hear of grass called Tom Bell?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NCDoc
Lincolnton, NC

August 3, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8735137

While I was growing up in Piedmont NC, farmers cursed the bane of Tom Bell grass. I never knew what it really was until I read this article:

http://www.theeasleyprogress.com/view/full_story/14617705/article-Historian-tells-of-old-district-court?instance=secondary_opinion_left_column

It appears from the article that the grass is Bermuda Grass. Has anyone else outside the area heard of this grass?
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8735154

Oh, YEA! We have Bermuda grass here too, along with another bane to my existence, St. Augustine/Buffalo grass. Whoever brought Bermuda grass into the U.S. ought to be shot! Maybe we got them back by sending them St. Augustine grass. As far as I'm concerned, both are nothing more than noxious invasive weeds which are almost impossible to eradicate.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8735303

I am unfortunately quite familiar with Bermuda grass too. Never heard it called Tom Bell grass though, that name for it must be a local thing.
perennialyyours
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8735575

I don't know why you would say St. Augustine/.Buffalo. Two grasses on oppisite ends of the spectrum. Fyi Bermuda (thin blade for sun) and St.Augustine (wide blade for shade) are 99% the only grasses used here in Texas for lawns. Municipalities have started using Buffalo in their parks and medians to help with water conservation, It is usually a yellow color of brown. not very attractive, but it won't die out during drought. I have never heard of Tom Bell, and I think Bermuda would freeze out in a winter up North and not come back.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8735630

I got that from here, but it's known for making mistakes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine_Grass
NCDoc
Lincolnton, NC

August 13, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8754406

The local folklore in Pickens County SC is that a man named Tom Bell brought in the Bermuda grass in from Kentucky for his front yard and it took off into the wild. It loved the SC Piedmont area, spreading to field far and wide. If you've had Bermuda grass where it wasn't wanted, You know that it is difficult to get rid of. In the cotton and corn fields of that area, many hours of hoeing were spent trying to rid the field of the "Tom Bell" grass. I can still hear my grandfather with not so subtle curses of Tom Bell as he tried to rid his field of the grass. It is definitely a local tradition and name!

Doug
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8760653

I have effectively killed bermuda grass with the product Grass Be Gone.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8761154

Fyi...Buffalograss is Bouteloua dactyloides and St Augustine is Stenotaphrum secundatum...perhaps the confusion comes from them both being wideblade grasses...or just from Wikipedia (I have been hornswoggled by Wiki links before too)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America