Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 3, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8735331

In the last three years or so, many new Kaempferia spp have FINALLY been published. There are still several waiting their turn like this one. Originally I was calling it Red Knight because a very similar introduction had the same name. However, they have VERY different flowers and are definitely not the same species. Both are new and unpublished, and amazing come from the same small area in Thailand. This one has K. rotunda like blooms, and the Red Knight one has pure white flowers (different shape and size etc.). I have a couple with almost all red leaves and hope to get some solids next year after selfing them.

Tim Chapman

Thumbnail by TimChapman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

August 3, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8735654

Hi Tim, I have this Kaempferia as well and agree it looks like Red Knight except for the flower. The standard color is very pretty but the ones with 50% or more red on the leaves are real knock outs. The GMR publication by Techaprasan using DNA sequencing on 25 different Thai species doesnt shed any help on its ID. Thanks for posting the picture.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2011 9:41 PM
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 4, 2011
3:07 AM

Post #8735892

The article is useful in that it finally proves K elegans and K pulchra are not the same species, something that is obvious to many of us but not to some taxonomists. It also proved K galanga is really just a form if K marginata, something a different taxinomist had been saying for a few years.

There are several spp there not included in the study, both recently published ones and new ones that were known to at least one of the authors. At least there are proposed names for some cultivated ones now. I just wish they'd have published them already. K sp nov pardi had another proposed name many years ago but still hasn't published. At least this time it's semi official.

The spring blooming species are poorly known and if addressed at all are usually just thought to be K rotunda. Don't be surprised to see numerous new species of spring bloomers pubplisged in future years.

Tim Chapman
GingerGrower
Anthony, FL

August 6, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8739993

Hi Tim, Are you offering any of this Kaempferia for sale?
I would love to have one. Thanks, Richard
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 6, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8740443

Yes Richard I am offering it. I added it to the website the other night. I'd email you but have two addresses and don't remember which is the new one.

Tim Chapman
TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

August 6, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8740465

Here is a redder version of the same K. sp. I'm going to post a flower as well. Hopefully we can produce this more intense color thru breeding. It's a favorite of mine. This is in one of our grow beds.

Thumbnail by TejasTropicals

TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

August 6, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8740469

Here is the flower.

Thumbnail by TejasTropicals

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America