-
AuthorContent
flfwrs
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8735976

I have several brugs in large pots, they seem to do much better than in the ground with our sandy soil here in NW FL. But some of them are getting too tall. I'd like to bring them in this winter. If I prune them way back, even below the level of the first leaves, will they come back ok from the original trunk or will they start over from ground level?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8736379

Yes, you can prune your Brugs down to a few inches above soil level. Given the proper winter care, they will send out new shoots from the ground or from the trunk stub next spring. I'm in Zone 8b too and winter my Brugs in a greenhouse. Because winter temperatures don't stay below 45F, they don't go dormant, but continue to grow at a much slower rate.

Have they bloomed yet? If they have, then you would be cutting off the flowering growth. Brugs have two types of growth: vegetative and flowering. A shoot springing from below ground or from below the original "Y" must go through the entire vegetative growth cycle before it produces a "Y" and starts the flowering cycle. Vegetative growth height varies according to cultivar and can vary from a few feet to over 12. With some cultivars it may take over a year to reach flowering size again. If you have the room, think about leaving at least one main trunk with its original "Y" and 2 or 3 more layers of "Y". That way your Brugs will have blooms earlier next year.
flfwrs
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8736924

Yes, I knew that about the Y, thanks for reminding me. I don't know why I didn't think about that when I thought about pruning. I can still take quite a bit off and stay above the Y. Yes, they are blooming now and beautiful. One has 13 blooms the other about 16.

Thanks so much for your help.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
11:35 PM

Post #8737980

You're welcome.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America