Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Canadian Gardening: What's happening in YOUR neck of the woods-chat with friends

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 204, Views: 1,012
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 4, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8736515

Thought I'd best move us to a new chat room before leaving for Chicago in a bit...

We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194760/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194760/

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 4, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8736525

ooops, forgot a photo..guess I cannot add one now???

Susan, so enjoyed your pictures, make one want to bring along their tent and join you next time you go...

Can you you thoroughly enjoyed it..

"M" sounds as though Lorna has got a lot done..do you think the home will be an easy sell? Know you thought she was asking a bit much for it..hope it sells quickly, no fun living where you don't want to be..

Rained most of yesterday, gardens loved it..
worked last night to finish the 2 floormats I was doing so that they could be set on back deck and I could clean the craft room this morning before leaving on my trip..

Managed to get one of the girls to take my calls from 2:30 on, that way I should be beyond Toronto at rush hour and over the border early enough to enjoy part of the evening...

Ann is coming with me, not sure how that will go??? Difficult for her travelling to a city that she and Mike so wanted to see the last year of his life...

We will spend Saturday with Judy (Seedtosser1) and Liz (Lizrainey) and whoever else from DG might drop in..then a day sightseeing in Chicago..such a beautiful city..hope I can remember some places I've been to show Ann

Have yourselves a great day..bringing i-pad so hoping to post from hotel rooms...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 4, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8736582

ok - I know you're all meeting at Betty's next year, but maybe... come out west in 2013??????
I could show you some real beauty out here! I'm still discovering it. I didn't realize until this morning that we were actually 1/2 way down into Montana! hmmmmmm we could camp in Montana next year and go further into Oregan, etc? hmmmmmm who's closest to the centre of Montana?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 4, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8737148

Wavin 'Bye-Bye to Betty' .. hope you have fun with Ann in the WINDY CITY :-)

GAG me .. another scorcher here today and I had to be out and about in it .. 37C is just NOT nice weather .. and .. we are now in anticipation of a 'thunder boomer' .. ahh well .. it IS summer ..

Since I'm the only 'DGer' from Thunder Bay, I think a round up her would be nice, but a bit out of the way for most.

Susan .. have visited Montana a couple of times .. beautiful State .. and truly 'BIG SKY Country' !!

Out to play with the pups for a bit ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 4, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8737312

well, seeing as how you're not adverse to visitng Montana - how about visiting Here, in Calgary? Come during Stampede weeks, and pick up a sweet cowboy (they have the nicest manners!), then afterwards you can go to Big Sky Country with him and go horseback riding!!!! LOL

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8737489

Found you all here. Just one more day of Chamberfest. Two concerts to usher at tomorrow and I'll have managed to help at 26 in the last 2 weeks plus attending about 6 others and doing 3 dress rehearsals as stage manager. LOTS of good music. Then a few days to catch up in the garden before we head out west for a few days.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 4, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8737564

Sounds like you're having a very busy time, Ann. Where's Chamberfest?
Heading out west, Ann - where? To Victoria?
Too bad you don't come to Calgary at all...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 5, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8738110

Morning all,

Got to the USA border, Detroit, headed north (purposely) to flint michigan..this morning we are heading to Frankenmuth, largest Christmas year round town..plan is to leave Frankenmuth for Chicago by at least 1:00 and that way we can enjoy a bit os sightseeing..

Heat gauge bit high when we were stopped in traffic yesterday so have to check antifreeze level just in case!! Never have had trouble with my Aveo but there is always a first time..

Yes, next June I'm having of reunion of dg members from many threads I frequent and you are all invited..

ViolaAnn, no other words except 'you amaze me!'. You will be plum ticketed out.

Waving to all

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 5, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8738172

Have fun in Frankenmuth AND Chicago Betty. Hoping the temps aren't too high and humid.

Tha RU at your place next year could very well 'blossom' into quite a few people. Sound like fun though :-)

Ann enjoy your trip west .. I think you'll need the respite!

Counting the hours (and minutes) til my docs appt on Monday .. my shoulders are not good and I am growing weary of sleeping sitting up.

ANOTHER over the top day re heat here today .. high 30s .. does seem to be some relief coming next week. Of course, forest fires in this region are increasing on a daily basis. Had a 'DRY' thunder storm pass through last night with lots of sheet lightning doubtless that has caused some problems ..

Down to get the paper ... Enjoy your day

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 5, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8738673

M - I heard that lightening is responsible for over 80% of fires. They strike, don't burn right away, and smoulder until they burst into flames... Hope that "dry thunderstorm" hasn't left that kind of legacy...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 5, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8738951

Unfortunately Susan, it has :-(
Apparently several more have started north of here. The people just sent back to their homes on Mon and Tues, may be flown back out .. feel bad for them as the majority are natives who have never been off their Reserves, and they are plunked down here in highly modern hotels with pools and restaurants etc

Sweltering here again today .. did manage to get into town and do some 'weekend shopping'.

Should get supper on the go .. THANK YOU M&Ms :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 5, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8739157

Think I'll have to get offline?!?! There are some pretty strong boomers happening, and I can see the white of the winds and rain heading towards us. Apparently there will be strong winds and large hail here. I'm in the NE and it's coming from the NW of Calgary, heading SE, so we may miss the majority of it, but I think we're going to get a lot of it - trees breaking, etc...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 5, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8739255

Wow that sure came down hard- maybe 20 minutes and 10 minutes of that pea size hail in my area.
Sure was noisy. Sassy gets quite restless during a storm, Bailey is so deaf he does not hear it!
Thanks for the call Susan, I never think to turn off the computer

Front yard.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 5, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8739256

Back yard, hosta bed.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 5, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8739610

Gosh .. Calgary sure got a surprise with that hail !! Looks too 'winterlike' to me.
Carol .. looks like your Hosta may have sustained heavy damage ?
TBay was to have gotten a thunder boomer last evening, but, it never materialized.
Apparently perhaps one more day of this heat, and then back to 'normal' temps of 20-25C and NO humidity .. BRING IT ON!!

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 6, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8739850

I have not had a really good look round yet but the hostas in that bed in the pic are fine- probably because they are mainly small and mini hostas. The patio is covered with leaves from the willow and the hanging pots of million bells are very droopy but I dont think they are shredded - will see when the sun comes out.The pots of geraniums on the patio dont look too good.. I can see some of the lilies that were blooming are also shredded. Will do a walk around to check later.

Later: Well the damage is not too bad, most of the large hostas have shredded leaves but all the small ones are OK. Lots of veggie tops smashed but that does not matter, it is the roots that are important. My hops had a lot of shredding since it covers a gazebo and the little fuschia plants hanging on the gazebo wall flowering beautifully all summer took quit a hit. Interesting the tomatoes sitting on the patio by the geraniums have no damage. Still piles of hail in the shade. The handing pots are already starting to perk up. There is quite a cold wind this morning.

I guess it was quite a storm, storm sewers were blocked, underpasses filled with water stranding cars, supposedly one man drowned when water swept him under a car. Probably lots of roofs damaged too- probably should get mine checked, it is 17 years old. - but it will be nearly impossible to get a roofer out now even to look for damage

This message was edited Aug 6, 2011 8:53 AM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 6, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8740110

Our storm sewers were blocked too, Carol - full of leaves stripped from the trees. This fellow was "caught" quite awhile after most of the water receeded, but the sun sure came out in full force!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 6, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8740119

This was immediately after the storm - boy those waters were COLD - I didn't have rain boots, but put on some waterproof shoes and hauled up a lot of leaves!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8740248

Chamberfest = Ottawa International Chamber Music Festival - over 90 concerts or events in 14 days. I worked at 26 of them, attended about 6 others and also did 3 dress rehearsals as stage manager. We head to Vancouver on Wednesday. Just don't get to Calgary much any more since all the relatives there passed on or moved to Vancouver.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 6, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8740353

and I'll just bet you didn't get your fill of music either, Ann :-)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 6, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8741135

Melancholic Aug.6 for us. 7 years ago my brother passed away, and, at 4pm this aft I had a call informing me one of our good friends from back in high school days succumbed to his brain cancer 6 months after his wife died of a massive heart attack.
Kinda sets ya to thinking.

Also saw many pics of the 'ruination' in Calgary ... good grief !!!

Here's hoping for a better Sunday!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 6, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8741139

The worst of the storm was a 60 yo man who was driving his car during the storm, and it stalled in the flooding of the street. He got out to do "something" and collapsed. He died of a heart attack.
Marilyn - it's a well-known fact that spouses who have been together for many years (even if they dislike each other) pass away within a year of the others passing.

5 years ago today we moved to Calgary, and here we are, where we started - a home, but no jobs... ah well, the Lord has something in mind for us.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 7, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8742800

Just got these prints today - they are of most of the historical interpreters at Lougheed House.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 7, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8742912

OHMIGOSH Carol .. what lovely pics :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 7, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8743142

o wow Carol - they're wonderful! What memories, for you to have. Do they give you these prints every year? If so, you must have a scrapbook of memories from Lougheed House :-)
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 7, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8743206

Susan I wish - we had to buy them if we wanted them and they were not cheap - done by a professional photographer. This is the first time they have arranged this.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8743266

Nice pictures, Carol. But given that you are volunteers you might think they would give you the pictures.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 7, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8743372

They "hire" volunteers Ann, because they're always wanting donations to renovate Lougheed house, I'm sure.
Speaking of which, Carol, I mean to look at their website to see if I have any objects to donation that they may want.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 8, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8743682

Morning girls, fabulous time in Chicago, as always Steve and Judy were hosts with the most..yesterday we boarded a tour boat and spent several hours viewing the waterfront, travelled a lot and never saw a city so beautiful and clean

Dinner in Hancock building ..96th floor for lunch..talk about a view! Then walked the magnificent mile, could say twice seeing as we walked both sides..lol

See ann is now ready so time to leave..

Sorry about the storms everyone!!

Waving, enoy your day!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8744068

And enjoy Your Day, Betty! So glad you got your car looked after and it will be a safe ride home!
96th floor!! Wow!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 8, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8744218

Carol
Love the photo's I bet if they were in black and white we would not be able to guess the date they were taken. You all look very authentic!
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8744234

I'm upset/mad - just got a call from a secretary with the firm I used to work for (2 months ago!) and she called about a purchase req I sent in for lanyards! Apparently the new secretary in my old position moved files around and they can no longer find the purchase req I filed (in the Purchasing file folder). And "someone" wants to change the wording on it. I told her that isn't possible as there is a standard lanyard (I'm a poet!) and they're the same for all of Alberta.
I then emailed HR and told them I didn't need this. Then I called and left a message saying "If I'm going to get these calls, then I should be paid an hourly rate for them"!!!!!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8744385

Susan - you are absolutely right. Glad you told them!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8744400

I'm creating an invoice now, and am also creating the email it goes in, for HR.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 8, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8745167

Jeeze Susan, your too good to your ex employer ... but .. it's in your make up .. just hope they stop calling you to bail them out.

Went to the doc today .. refused surgery .. I have a left rotator cuff impingement .. pretty severe .. I am on morphine now, have an ultra sound booked on Friday, and a physio assessment on Thursday ... I refused an MRI .. no matter how much sedation you'd give me I KNOW I would be VERY upset as I am claustrophobic .. besides, an MRI is used for a more definitive diagnosis prior to surgery.
Kind of leary re the Morphine, but, if it allows me to sleep, then BONUS !!!!

Am totally hoping we get RAIN tonight, the forst fire situation here in North Western ON is unreal !!!!

Glad you had a good time Betty .. was Ann OK ?

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8745224

Marilyn - isn't the morphine making you drowsy? Guess no driving for you, m'lady!
I don't call sending them an invoice for 2 hours consulting "bailing them out" LOL

Here's praying for you to get Rain tonight, but be careful what you wish for, Marilyn!

Went to HD to return something, stopped in at my veggie garden on the way home, and retrieved a RED tomato! Viewed 1/2 damamged/destroyed garden, but all's good - there's still something retrievable.
When I got home, my DH looked "down" and asked for my help. His Win 7 computer was unusable - some system icons disappeared (printer, etc) and he couldn't successfully click on anything.
I rebooted it into Safe Mode, scanned (came up with Nothing) then did a system restore back to Aug 1st. System is back to normal now...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 8, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8745232

Evening all, want to comment on the posts but am very tired..long day, home safely and now it's time for betty byes..

Will have lots of time to chat tomorrow..

For those of you not feeling ok, hav g a bad day am hoping tomorrow will be a better day

Good lord willing we'll gab tomorrow

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8745238

Welcome Back, Betty!! Glad you're home, safe & sound!! Sleep well :-)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 9, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8746036

Dosage is very small re the morphine, and, I only take it at bedtime .. didn't really work all that well last night, and I know it's going to take a few doses to catch up to me .

Susan glad to hear you saved the day with the 'System Restore' .. that has saved me a couple of times. I sometimes think 'What if LIFE were like that' :-)

Off for blood work for Lorna this morning, have to get gas for the SUV and gas for the yard implements .. and.. fit SOME shopping in there somewhere ...

NO rain fell .. so the forest fire dilemma continues .. can see and smell smoke this morning.

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8746689

yay for Safe Mode/System Restore, for sure! I'm not as familiar with Win7, so it was interesting trying to figure out where it was lol Yes, I could use a "If Life Were Only Like That"... lol
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 9, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8747071

I like the EASY button at Staples.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8747418

LOL Ann!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 9, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8747848

OOOOOOooooooooo .. another one of those MUST HAVES LoL !!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8748339

I was offered an Easy Button by a co-worker (she had it on her desk and I admired it, on my birthday). I said "no, thank you very much" and maybe I should have taken it LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 10, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8749221

Those commercials are soo funny...brrr it's cold out there..first day I shut off air and am thinking of putting on the heater!! Wind is up but rain has stopped ..

Can tell I'm getting older, these trips I do all the driving almost does me in..will take all week to wake up

"M" how did the morphine work last night? After my MRI I got to ay I don't blame you..didn't think it would bother me but it did big time..

Susan do you think they are bright enough at your old job to acknowledge what they have asked you to do is a bit much after how they treated you? Hope they at least send you a cheque.

Carol, love the photo's!! Cannot believe you had to pay for them..no wonder there is a shortage of volunteers.

Laying here on the couch, tired, trying to decide if I want to take a panel out. That I was painting for closet door or go to bed early..think 2nd option will win out!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8749266

Betty - they are Not bright enough (I hate to put down people, but frankly - and I'm being brutally honest with myself, too - they were disrespecting me the more I did for them) and I'll have to keep on them to get the cheque (or at least the confirmation that they are sending a cheque because it takes time through AP to send it).

Today I'm making Speedy Split Pea Soup with Bacon! Never made it before, and it calls for bay leaves and rosemary. I know you remove the bay leaves (even though they don't say to), but the rosemary is little sticks - do I remove the rosemary too, or will it soften up enough to leave it in?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 10, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8749330

Hope 'early to bed' won out Betty .. what I would not give to be able to slide into bed and curl up and sleep I sure am missing it ..
The Morphine was not effective .. I took ONE tablet, my doc says I can take 2, but, I will only take 2 if I am not busy the next morning .. so .. looks as though this will be the night as I only have a physio assessment booked and it's for 3pm.
Sleeping sitting up on the Love Seat is starting to become common place .. I do waken and try to go back to bed, but, within half an hour my shoulder is yelling at me .. all I can say is .. 'Bring on the physio' !!

Susan .. re the rosemary .. I think perhaps the sticklettes should be removed .. unless of course they did soften up.

GORGEOUS day here .. about 20C with a slight wind .. got to sit outside for a few hours and enjoy it :-)

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 10, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8749349

Feel so bad for you "M"' must be difficult to get through a day in such pain! Let's hope physio works!

Trying to stay up just a little longer, if I don't I'll sleepuntil midnight then up I'll be.

I usually put my spices in spice bag Susan that way you just take it out so not sure ..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8749353

OH - Betty, what a great idea. hmmmm should get a spice bag :-)
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 10, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8749571

It is a sad day here.
Yesterday got a phone call to say the gal I trained and worked with for 20 years had died. She had breast cancer treated last year which I did not know about and after a few months it returned ferosciouslly ( darn cant spell that!) and invaded everywhere in her body. She was about 55 years, single mom ,two young adult kids one of them still living at home .

Last evening a call from a foster family, the dog we have been looking after as an emergency foster ( lady left abusive situation) started to throw up and behave oddly, waited overnight, still same, to vet first thing this morning, no idea what is wrong everything from infection to you name it, no chance to really know without doing further tests. Owner is now up north a ways trying to get her life sorted out , talks on the phone, she has no money for anything so asked to euthanise the dog. He is a sweetie, 13 years old, going blind and deaf. Vet and foster mom and I chatted to see what was the least we could at least try and with owners consent left at vet for 24 hours IV as he was severely dehydrated and high temp. Rescue group will pay cost.
I went in to see him just before they closed this afternoon and I would say he was in a coma, had definitely gone down hill as he had been able to walk in the morning.Did not even respond when I petted him or the vet tech cleaned him up after diarhhea. Vet said he will check on him late this evening, otherwise he will alone overnight, I felt bad about that but really not much choice except to send him on his way over the bridge. I really doubt he will survive the night. We will never know what was wrong but probably something that has been happening for a long time and suddenly the symptoms show. Like a slow growing cancer. Sad !

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8749724

Oh Carol - sad day, indeed! So young at 55 to have passed from anything, and cancer - Prayers for all who knew her, and her family.
And the poor little sheltie... you're doing the best you can. Really a difficult thing to go through, I'm sure. Morning will tell if he's passed, if there's something that can be done, or if he's to go over the bridge with help.
((((Carol))))

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 11, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8749881

Morning all,

Arm wraps Carol, What a difficult day you had. Hopefully she wasn't in pain for long..

Your rescue group should be commended for the extra mile you take with your rescues..waiting to hear news this morning of her condition!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8749914

My gosh, such sad times for you Carol. My condolences as well as my prayers for the recovery, or, painless passing of the rescued Sheltie.

In the past week we have lost a dear friend at the age of 58 to brain cancer, and, another friends Mom passed away suddenly down east( she was elderly, but, not a frail senior)

Betty .. downright cool in the house this morning. Kept the doors and windows open for the night .. close everything up around 8am to keep the cool air in .. seems kind of dreary outside .. maybe some MUCH needed rain will arrive.

Took the 2 tabs of Morphine .. no go .. was up before midnight, back to bed at 2am, back up at 4am .. to bed again at 5am and plan to STAY up now .. going to be a long day .. physio assessment is at 3pm .. meeting to attend tonight .. I think perhaps one day my body will simply rally and tell my shoulder to BACK OFF !!! Nice thought :-)

Off to make a cup of tea ..

Have a fine day

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8750227

Rascal update: much to everyones surprise when the staff arrived this morning at 8 AM he was awake and actually got up and went outside to pee! He is not out of the woods yet but vet believes we have a treatable situation (haemorhagic gastroenteritis) so will continue IV fluids and antibiotics for the day, give him something to stop vomiting and see if he will eat. Next update this afternoon!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 11, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8750236

OH wow, double wow, quite the fighter..sure must have made your day hearing such news!!!
Let's hope he's on the mend...

"M" sending armwraps, how horrible that you are only able to get a few winks at a time..
let's hope something comes of your afternoon apt.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8750258

Wonderful news indeed, Carol! So glad it's treatable. Rascal must have felt so much better just to go for a pee!! Will wait for your next update! Here's hoping he will eat something and keep it down.

Marilyn - Maybe you'll get to sleep in the Dr's waiting room? Always works for me... (Body - tell Marilyn's shoulder to Back Off and not go into her back!!)

Just back from an interview with an agency for Shell Canada. There are 2 positions, both "up in the air", and I sent her 4 glowing reference letters. She should hear today or tomorrow if they are accepting more applicants for these positions. I'll let you know when I do.
The other position I interviewed for July 21 - they've 2nd interviewed someone else, and there are 4 of us that got a 1st interview. This doesn't sound promising for me.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8750278

WOO HOO for Rascal :-) Fingers crossed he recovers ..

Fingers also crossed for you Susan and the job search .. maddening sometimes, actually MOST of the time ..

Thanks for the hugs Betty .. anxiously awaiting my assessment this aft .

Sharing pics of the Hibiscus .. UNREAL .. and a month ago I thought it dead !!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8750280

Will just share 2, I went kinda nuts with taking pics of it LoL

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8750326

Here's mine, that I thought was dead, and it's reviving - slowly... Red hibiscus :-)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8750429

Oh my! came on today and was wammy'd with all this pain. May my airwaves hugs get to you all!
Carol what the heck is haemorhagic gastroenteritis? Sad news about your friend , 55 is way too early.
'M' I hope you get some relief, ongoing pain is very nasty. My DH has a similar problem and feels better when he is having his arm tight to his side.
Super photo's of the Hybiscus's

Got some new Parrott Liliies growning that are spectacular, will get some photo's posted to show you all.
Bye for now.
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8750433

Here's a hibby that I picked up the other day - HD has 'em on sale :-)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8750535

Ann Google it! HGI( correct spelling hemorrhagic-had to look that one up!) - occurs only in dogs apparently, don't know cause, multiple possibilities, comes on very suddenly, if not treated quickly the dogs can die. If treated appropriately they fully recover but can have it again. Sounds like it is not very common. Apparently at one point his temp was up to 42 which means he was at risk to start seizing. The techs had him on a bed of ice and covered with ice to reduce temp!

Update: just talked to vet, no further progress and there are signs of other concerns with kidney.We will give him one more night of IV fluids and if there is no improvement in the morning we will have to let him go.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2011 2:49 PM
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8750829

Carol
I know that you will do right by him and I just know he is in the best hands possible. So I wish him an easy journey which ever way that takes him.

I usually do google but I am at work and just pop in quickly, it sure looked like a mouthfull of information in those two words.

Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 11, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8750858

Annabell, don't think I ever saw parrot lilies, will have to google to see what they look like!

Carol, was so hoping he was on the mend..after tonight it will be in the Lord's hands , you and your group certainly have done all you could.

Susan, best of luck, you are bound to find employment soon seeing you are getting so many interviews.

Just love the hubby's...I've got a rose of Sharon blooming, same family I think..not large flowers but flowers none the less.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8751132

"so many interviews" I had one on the 21st of July, and one this morning - August 11th.
I talk about them alot, just don't have many LOL It's positive reinforcement for me that I will have something come of them. Only problem is, the more I talk about it, the fewer good things happen. I'm not kidding - when some job seems like a "sure thing", I start to talk about it and it goes away!! I should keep my mouth shut LOL (yeah, right, like That's ever going to happen) ROFLMFAO

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 12, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8751628

Susan, know how many you've had but in this market with few hiring it's an achievement to get an interview!!

"M" hope you've had a good night of sleep.

Don't think they are calling for much of a weekend, guess I'll get caught up with inside housework..want to change the bedroom a bit, bought new bed covering, going a bit off country..it's white/black and tan..not so sure about all the white in the set, think I'll have to close the bedroom door to keep furries off the bed. Should wash down all the walls as well..wish I had a bit more energy, room is the palest yellow would like to paint beige/tan..anyone not doing something this weekend who might want to come help me do one of those weekend makeovers??

Meteor showers tonight..hope I remember to watch for them..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8751718

Hiya .. Betty .. I'll come help you 'shut the bedroom door' LoL
The bed set sounds nice though .. at least twice a week I 'get a hankerin' to paint the bedroom, but, it'd be tough .. LARGE furniture ... one of these days !!

Assessment session yesterday was a bit OUCHIE .. Loved the 20 min hot pack though .. they use a MOIST heat as opposed to my heating pad .. works well .. may have to invest. So .. I am looking at 12 weeks of physio, 3 times a week plus exercises at home 3 times a day. It's when you do these home exercises that you realize how long 3 minutes can be !!
Therapist is hoping they'll get me to a level where I can function better .. but .. he mentioned 'arthroscopic surgery' might be the only REAL way to fix the problem .. really going to have to hope THAT does not happen .. I totally do NOT want any invasive procedures !!!
I slept 6 hours 'in a row' last night !! Ultra sound booked for this afternoon .. all in all .. I feel very POSITIVE about this.

Susan .. Betty is correct .. with the amounts of apps rec'd for jobs, and interview is a MAJOR kudo .. I wish you all the best.

Carol, what can one say .. my thoughts are with all concerned. A loss of life is always a sad thing, but, sometimes there is no recourse.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 12, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8751759

Let's hope "M" that the therapy does work..6 hours is a good start! If you were here "M" you could sit on the bed and urge me on, sometimes that's all that is needed. Think I'd start if I could walk in a wallpaper store, go through designs, but that's a thing of the past..ordering and waiting a week or two doesn't interest me. Not sure if Home Depot has rolls of trim..don't want to do the entire wall in bedroom just a nice trim..

Just took my car in, been losing fluid, not sure if it's the lines, the rad or if it's losing it through the engine..if it's the latter I'll not be buying anything. So here I wait on pins and needles to see what the cost of repair will be..Have 153,000 kil so even cutting close to extended warrantee BUT what needs repair isn't covered.

Sunny day today, average tomorrow and rain for Sunday...you sure can feel fall in the air! Who would have thunk it..lol..that it would come so quickly!

Good news that Bombadier is back to work, bad time for them to be going on strike.

Carol, any news this morning?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8751775

Vet staff does not come in until 8AM - will go to visit with him after that.

Going rafting this afternoon so need to get this decided this morning. Also it is Friday so if we are to continue to help him the foster family will have to take him home - dont think that will work either.

More later

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 12, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8751794

Rafting???? you are brave!

Must be heartbreaking to foster these dogs and have this happen..just like one of your own.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8752132

Well the foster family and I spent a long time with Rascal this morning and pretty much came to the conclusion we should let him go, then the vet arrived to examine and guess what- some good signs- temp down to absolutely normal heart rate down, no pain when pressing on abdomen, gums looking better, blink response to stim, sure responded when vet put thermometer in rectum!
So perhaps the treatment is working and we have elected to take him home ( to fosters) on oral meds and see how things go. But he is still not out of the woods.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 12, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8752215

He's a fighter for sure Carol..amazing, they seem to know don't they..
Mom is waiting for news of biopsy on Rocky's leg..after spending $15,000 for cancel treatment not more than 3 months ago she's expecting the worse today..at some point I think you have to stop with treatment, it's to no avail...if they had done anything I would have said it should have been to remove the leg as cancer was in lower part of his foot. Hate to answer the telephone tonight!

did you go rafting yet?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 12, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8752371

glad that Rascal is doing well, Carol!! You likely won't see this post until you return from rafting - good luck on That btw - looking forward to hearing how that goes. Where will the rafting be? Bob & I need to "wet the head" of our raft, too... will it be the Bow River/Fish Creek park?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 12, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8752375

Betty - any word on your mom?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8752696

Hope all the ill furries are 'out of the woods' ..

Not going to say much because I am fed up with our Health Care system.
Left here just passed 1pm .. had a couple of stops to make.
Got to the Medical Centre at 2:35pm .. went in .. went to the bathroom .. went into the reception area, handed the recptionist the requisition .. she said " OH !! We called you just passed one to tell you the appt is cancelled because the tech is sick"! 'Sorry' !!
I was speechless .. have been waiting for this appt for THREE MONTHS !!!
Now I'm booked next week on Lorna's BDay (17) at 4:15 .. it was either that or a week more ..
I just wanted it OVER and some results !!
I sure don't live just a couple of blocks away either ! I would have thought there would be another tech on call ?
Guess it'll all boil down to 'who is on holidays'.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 12, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8752705

Very upsetting for sure "M"' you would think they could have called earlier than just a few hours before appointment! You have to wonder don't you if they had an appointment for the 17th how much earlier you could have gotten in.

Frustrating especially as you've been in so much pain!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 12, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8752830

~M~ how frustrating! Surely they knew the tech was sick before 1? Or perhaps they went home about then... anyway, they should have another tech as backfill! And for you to wait 3 months for the app't and then not get it! Here's hoping everything going smoothly now.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8752979

Rafting trip was fun- down the Kananaskis River. . Rascal doing OK. Susan thanks for the call - I am too tired to talk. Will tell all tomorrow! Had supper, sat down and napped, guess I might as well go to bed!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 12, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8752985

say, Carol - is there fishing on the Kananaskis River? Bob wants to take a picnic/fishing trip tomorrow, and I'm going to check to see how far it is - Kananaskis is likely only 1 hour from my house...
So glad Rascal is doing ok!! What a shock this has been for you - happened so quickly and just as quickly "Rascal doing OK" !

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2011
1:26 AM

Post #8753234

Good luck with your picnic/fishing trip Susan ..
I haven't been rafting (called TUBING) here in years .. sure was fun though. There were about 6 great huge black inner tubes lashed together .. you sit in the hole in the middle, the providing business (River Rat Rentals) pushed you off up river, and the tubes meandered along for about an hour or more back to home base. You could stop the tubes to swim or fish .. it was fun, altho, I got a bad sunburn one time .. no sunscreen , no hat !!

Not much sleep again tonight .. going to give the 'sleeping sitting up' another go.
Still so angry re the ultra sound appt.

TTFN

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8753480

Susan no fish in the Kananaskis.

These rafts are huge flotation rafts that hold about 8-10 people- you sit on the edge of the raft not in the middle ( which is partly why some people end up in the river!) We were outfitted in wetsuits, boots,life vests helmets and paddles. Lots of lessons on how to paddle etc plus what to do if you end up in the water! We were about 2 1/2 hours on the river. The first section had lots of white water, exciting drops where the river goes over rocks making 15-20 foot drops etc. Then a quieter section where there were lots of waves and a kayak slalom course and then the last 45 minutes a quiet float along the river as it flows down to meet the Bow. There was one spot where they tied up the boats and if you wanted ( I did not) you could 'swim' a section of the river- the guides launched people into the water in a sitting position and you ride down the waves for a short stretch until the 2nd guide tells you to swim and pulls you over. The water temp was 4 degrees and the weather was sunny with some clouds so just right.
No pictures- they do take pictures from shore all along the white water stretch but they just load them on a CD and charge $25 and I was not about to pay that for pics I mostly did not want.

Good fun- one of the 'safer' trips they do. There are a number of companies who do this type of rafting mainly on this stretch of the river.

If you go to this link: http://www.insideoutexperience.com/ there is a short video which has some shots along the river.

Rascal update: Last evening Nancy ( foster mom) called to say he was continuing to show improvement, was eating very small amounts ( first time since Tuesday) and getting up and walking down the steps to the grass to pee. Shaky and sleeping a lot in between of course but that is not surprising - he was very sick!

This message was edited Aug 13, 2011 6:31 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8753517

Carol, you are a brave woman to try rafting...not sure I would! It's amazing what these places charge for photo's..usually when the kids are with me they want the photo's and how can you say 'no' but when on my own I do nit purchase them.

I'll say Rascal was ill , amazing how he's fighting, no wonder he is sleeping away most of the day, re-energizing!

"M". Do hope the sitting up and sleeping method worked..can't imagine being in so much pain. Must change your daily routine not being able to do much, thank goodness for Lorna being there..Dull kind of day, at least it's not humid, feel I should have a weekend of rest, but you know me, impossible to do..

Did the floors on main floor, took out some scatter rugs for washing..yikes, smells like dog..reminded me why I like the mats I do with linoleum so just might make one for my bedroom, could use it until Sailor is finished shedding and pulling out her hair...how I hate hair all over the place, I would say I sweep at least 4 time as day...next year if the old girl is still with me, having her shaved off.

No call from mom, hate the thoughts of calling her just incase news on Rocky not the best.

What are you all up to?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8754274

How could you resist this?

Garage sale house behind me, former owners are moving back in, parents living in basement suite, parents getting rid of stuff that has been in storage several years!

Do I need this? Of course not.
Do I have anyplace to store them? Well down in the basement!
What do I want them for? I see this set as part of Xmas decorations each small bowl filled with a different colored Xmas ball! Can also be used for candy,small cookies, triffle( never made that yet!), salad bowls.

Besides. $1 for big bowl, $0.50 each for 4 small bowls and when she found the other 3 she just gave them to me!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8754329

WOW .. quite the find Carol, and, you're so right about filling it with TRIFFLE maybe even Tiramisu ... the ideas are endless .. as long as it's colourful AND decadent, you can't go wrong!

Warm day here loads of sun .. sat out and enjoyed it til just around supper, that's when I realized how EARLY those long shadows were coming to the lawn in the back yard ...

Betty, any word from your Mom ?
Carol, good news re Rascal, but I know he's not out of the woods yet. Thoughts with him and his fosterers.

Best get a shuffle on

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone :-)

~M~

Adding a Hibiscus pic I kinda 'played with' to enrich the colour .. gotta luv computers !

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8754334

Well, if you didn't want them I'd have bought them and asked myself same questions...nice find! Haven't been to one garage sale this year, must have been busy.

Got a call from a B &B asking if I had a room for 4 days. House always kept nice and meet just incase..seeing I have a rad to replace this week I thought there is half the $$$ that was until I said I had 2 cats and a dog...I sweep so often I tire myself out so no hair floating and rooms are pretty though small...but, a no because of the animals...oh well!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8754341

Gorgeous "M". Was out edging gardens awhile ago, could feel drops so decided to call it a night, see that it may have stopped so might keep edging!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8754886

Sounds like everyone is busy with things to do around the country. We had a super day here and it finally feels like summer.
Good to hear that Rascal seems on the mend and is at a home to rest. Carol you are much braver than I , the rafting trip sounds very exciting.
M I do wish you could get that shoulder fixed. Constant pain sure will shorten your patience bone a whole bunch. I will keep my fingers crossed for a good sleep as that will help for sure.
All you girls with the Hibiscus's , here is my "parrot lily", I think that is what it's called.

Thumbnail by annabell52

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8755113

WOW !! Simply breath taking Ann .. beautiful colours ..
Good to hear your weather has turned for the better.

Going along with this physio regimen, am finding the home exercises a bit much, but the whole idea of doing them is to strengthen the muscles in the area so I have better support .. but ... surgery HAS crossed my mind more than once this weekend .. but .. as mentioned before ... "I am a WUSS"!

Off to sleep I go, I hope !

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 13, 2011
10:16 PM

Post #8755115

Yikes Carol - didn't realize it was whitewater rafting! You're much braver than I!!!
Bob & I are going to Allen Bill Pond again tomorrow, and as it's a nice quiet pond (albeit a large one for rafting and fishing at the same time) we're finally going to "wet the head" of our inflatable!
We got a brook trout (should have been 2, but Bob didn't bag the 2nd one and it flopped back into the water). We met some people there who gave us 3 of theirs - they were catching them every 5 min or less! No sooner would they put their line in the water than they were catching one! The whole large family was doing that. They were using shrimp as bait! Told us we were using too large a hook, so we got 1/2 size smaller ones we'll use tomorrow (along with the shrimp!). We're going after church, so it will still be too hot to fish, so we'll have a picnic and use the dinghy until it cools off, then fish. Bob will have to gut these - I don't mind catching or cooking, but he has to do Something besides catch lol
When we get home tomorrow, I want to wrap these in foil and put them on the BBQ - won't take much, cuz they're only 2-3 lbs! but hope I can do them justice!
Even though the fishing spot is only 1 hour from home, we didn't get home until 10pm, so had pizza for supper lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 13, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8755117

good night, wussy Marilyn LOL (that's the one & only time I'd call you that, y'know!!!)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 14, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8755778

Morning..up off and on all night so this morning/afternoon I'm playing at being lazy..lol

Feels as though it will start raining any time so don't want to just start a project and have to stop. Have to go grocery shopping ..if it weren't for dog/cat food I'd stay home! But, critters need to be fed.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 14, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8756368

Hahaha ... Susan you can call me 'WUSS' any old time .. cuz, I am ! Am not a big fan of having something wrong with ME .. will do anything and everything for someone else who is in discomfort, but when it's me .. I tend to roll over and go to sleep!!

Hope you got the critters their food Betty .. I see we're going to have to get busy making Lilly and Pipers this week coming ..

Lorna's birthday on Wednesday .. don't have to cook .. going out for dinner
Physio Mon, Tues and Thurs, ultra sound Wed, SUV gets a window tint on Friday .. I think next weekend I should be ready for REST !!! Course .. with the 'SMART METER' I tend to do ALL my laundry on Sat and Sunday now.

Hope everyone has a good upcoming week !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 14, 2011

Post #8756406

Must say even though you are unwell you still keep pretty busy! Do you make your own dog food? Nice to make Lorna's birthday a special event then add in not having to cook, special day all around!

Yes, did get the food, even got all the mixings to make spaghetti sauce. Made it without burning and now in the freezer, saved just enough for me to have dinner to or row,. Am having company from dg a week Monday ( 4 or 5 days) so that will be one day of cooking done!

Sore back today so have been on the couch for all but a few hours, hope pain gone tomorrow. Likely why I didn't sleep much last night.

Still no rain but sky is so heavy.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 14, 2011
9:48 PM

Post #8756882

Sore from being outside in the sun all day
Got into the dinghy, but sure I won't be doing it again... too awkward and no enough room for more than either Bob or I. Not meant for 2 fully grown adults (and one being 6'3"!)
Here's Bob
We didn't get any fish today...

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 14, 2011
11:53 PM

Post #8756952

Drats this not sleeping all night is for the dogs, nope, Sailor sleeping soundly beside my bed..makes for long nights.

Susan, lovely photo, glad you enjoyed the day!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 15, 2011
1:14 AM

Post #8756986

WHOA Susan .. that IS a small Dinghy !! I would have been some worried it'd tip!!

Betty .. welcome to to the world of 'BATS and OWLS' !!! NO, it is awful being up when you;d much rather be asleep .. it's so difficult to be in a good mood the following day. I find I tend to push myself just so I don't have much 'LAG TIME' which would make me want to lay down and sleep! Some days though, I lose that battle.

We buy a product called 'FreshStart' .. a Kennel here buys the flash frozen packages of food in bulk, and you place your order. We have Bison or chicken for the dogs as well as vegetables. Sometimes we go on a vegetable making spree and grind our own for them. Anyway .. dog food making consists of sectioning off the frozen packets and cutting the meat and veggies into meal sized servings (our dogs eat once a day at 5pm, we do have SOME kibble available if they want it) it's about a 1.5 to 2 hour job depending on how many packets we decide to make .. Gord likes going full bore and doing a month or more .. lets just say .. our big chest freezer in the garage has LOTS of dog food in it !!
Sometimes I grouse over the time (and money) spent, but, one look at the dogs coats and overall condition stops that.

Well .. i have played 6 games of solitaire (won 2) .. think maybe I had best try to get SOME sleep ..

Have a fine day

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2011
2:56 AM

Post #8757017

Poor Sailor, after what you feed your dogs she gets the bad end os the stick..lordy, takes all my time just to cook for me without burning..kudos to you for taking the time!

Managed to fall back asleep at 4:30 and alarm goes off at 5:30, makes for long day. Paul is back after 2 weeks off so bound to keep me busy.

Best I do check craft room, girls are coming today rather than tomorrow and seeing as I was doing another floor mat and left a mess.

Enjoy your day everyone!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 15, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8757550

I don't have a dog, but I was given this recipe by a DG friend, and can't remember who - maybe you, Marilyn? She Wussed out, too lol

"'LIVER BROWNIE BITES'
Preheat your oven to 350
Ingredients:
1 pound of beef liver (.454kg)
2 eggs
1/4 cup of canola oil
2 tbsp of honey
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
optional pinch of salt

Method:
Cut liver into chunks (I wussed out and wore gloves)
In a food processor (blender), pulse the liver until it's finely chopped. Add the eggs, oil and honey and whizz until blended and close to smooth. Don't worry about getting al the small chunks out. (almost looks like a chocolate shake at this point )

Transfer to a bowl and add the flour and baking powder and salt. Stir until just combined.
Spread the batter in an 8x8 pan that's been sprayed with non-stick spray and bake for 25-30 minutes (took mine 27 minutes), until the top is springy to the touch.
If you have a small dog you can bake this in a 9x13 pan for 15-20 minutes. This will make thinner brownies that can be cut into smaller pieces. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
I stored them in a plastic container in the fridge."

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 15, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8757868

LMBO ... I do liver treats as well Susan .. my recipe is SUPER simple.

Boil the liver til the foam appears .. rinse it off .. place on a cookie sheet .. sprinkle with a 'small' amount of garlic powder .. place in a 300 degree oven for about an hour.
Take out .. cool a bit .. and cut into puppy pieces .. simple, and the ONLY 'wuss out is the clothes pin on the nose while the liver boils LoL

Physio was B R U T A L today .. thought it'd be OK .. played with a large beach ball rolling it about on a low table ... worked with some pulleys .. had a massage with a weird wee machine .. and then .. my therapist took my arm and MANIPULATED it .. UGggggggggggggggggggggg ... had shopping to do following physio .. can hardly believe I did it .. came home, walked in the back door .. down the hall and straight to bed .. feel a bit better now .. but .. sore .. and I am back at it tomorrow ...
Fingers crossed this works !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8757879

Brutal "M"..guess it has to hurt to heal so they say!
My back is killing me, last 2 nights kept waking up, tonight think I'll take pain killers..

Wouldn't do me any good to try and make liver treats, I couldn't even put liver in a pan..yukkkkk

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 15, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8757883

yes, take pain killers, Betty - no point in messing you up with no sleep!!
~M~ I'm with you on the manipulative pain thing!! Here's hoping tomorrow will be easier!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 15, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8757890

I really like liver ( and onions, french cut green beans and bacon with)! Think I might stop at the store on t he way home ( going to a memorial service) and get some for supper!

Rascal continues to improve slowly.

Sassy on the other hand has lost another pound and also had diarrhea since Saturday so into the vet this morning.Dont know why, AB for 10 days, check a fecal sample and use gastro-intestinal food( which I happen to have) She has been going crazy with a thunder storm and just now was running in circles but it is just more diarrhea so out into the rain until I leave. Poor girl, I have had to wash her bum every day and she hates that!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 15, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8757900

poor Sassy! How embarassing for the poor girl! Could she have caught something from Rascal? Glad to hear Rascal's still improving!

I really like liver & onions! NOW, that is. My dad used to cook it like shoe leather, and that was just plain nasty! Now that I know how to cook it delicately (like the delicate meat it is) It's ever so much better!

The storm kinda took us by surprise. We thought "maybe a little rain" because the weather forcasters were predicting 5-10 cm LOL
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 15, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8757998

ok I'm having a chuckle cause I too like liver. I like it with lemon juice squeeze on the breaded cooked piece. Don't need gravey or bacon. I really don't like the smell when it's cooking but the taste is just fine.
Betty take some pain killers. M I hope your shoulder gets in the game and gives you a rest.

Carol good to hear that Rascal is on the upswing and sorry to hear that Sassy is struggleing.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 15, 2011

Post #8758141

Well I'll be generous and leave the liver for all of you! Why even seeing it makes me I'll have no idea...I'm the gal that eats half the hamburger raw when cooking it, same with sausages, I know, dangerous but love it and love blood pudding, especially when fil used to make it for me..but liver, head cheese and pigs feet...double yuk. Lol

poor Sassy, know what you are going through with the storm, Sailor all but gets I. Your lap, whines big time..let's hope it rolls through quickly!

Can't believe all my
Mangers, now it did rain a bit on Saturday, but'ust have rained everywhere except where planters were, they sure are looking pretty sas.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 16, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8760651

Made it through another physio session .. and, as incredible as it may sound, i think I might have just a teeny bit more mov't in the left arm!! Course .. i have been to bed, slept 90 minutes and am now up .. if that part of the physiological problem would take off I;d be fer sure doing a 'happy dance'
But, when I lay down .. the nerve impingement increases despite repeated re positioning.
I'm getting kinda good at sleeping sitting up :-)

Lorna's BDay today .. bought her a BETA fish (Siamese Fighting Fish) a beautiful blue .. and, named 'BLUE 2' .. the original 'Blue' conked out about 3 weeks ago.
Have dinner out planned as well as a few other things.

WE had Tornado warnings in the area last evening, ended up being one clap of thunder and about half an hours rain .. works for me (and the gardens)

Getting sleepy eyed, best shut'er down ..

Ciao

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 16, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8760694

Glad your physio went well, Marilyn!
Happy Birthday, Lorna!!!!! I have a blue Beta too - named Sebastian! lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 17, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8760954

Lorna thanks ya for the BDay wishes :-) And, Blue 2 sways a tail at Sebastian !!
I 'think' Blue 2' is the youngest Beta we have had .. I hope so because Blue 1 only lasted maybe 8 months, and his predecessor 'Red' (dontcha love the clever names) lasted a year ..

Looks to be another gorgeous day in TBay :-)

Enjoy wherever you are

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 17, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8761139

+Well I found the liver yesterday)had to go to 2 stores) and got the onion and the bacon but my hunt for french green beans was fruitless! And in any case I had a strange 'off' day ( lay down and slept for 2 hours in the morning after the routine things were done) so I did not want to cook much. Liver tonight!

Rascal continues to improve.
Sassy has finally had a night without diarrhea and her stool this morning was soft but not liquid so I guess she is on the mend.

The service I went to on Monday was for a lady I trained and worked with for 20 years. She was only 57- breast cancer last year, all treatments fine and then 3 months later came back with a vengeance- all through and over her body. I did not know until after she died, felt bad we had not been in touch past 2-3 years. Lots of colleagues there, many not seen for a long time so it was nice to have a chat.

Marilyn I do hope the physio will help you. And do not ignore the possibility of surgery. Living with chronic pain is so debillitating.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 17, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8761265

Afternoon, sunshine here as well, almost like a fall day, how I wish I was home, so much I could be doing than just sitting here but back giving me the what for..think phsyiatic nerve (?).
Worked from home yesterday as I got a new rad put into my vehicle, now I'm looking at options for timing belt..might as well save myself a lot of trouble and fix before it lets me down! Yikes, calling for $850..as it's preventive maintenance you got to wonder what you should do??

Happy Birthday Lorna..ohh those beta fish arrangements are so lovely. No can have with my kitties! "M" I'm with Carol, think at some point you will have to consider operation. No fun living as you are doing.

Carol, nice seeing old friends but certainly not under the circumstances..young woman..one of the ladies that paint with me has a daughter mid 40's had cancer and beat it for 3 years, now it's back with a vengence, presently in the hospital and not looking good. so wish they would find a cure..surely if they can go to the moon and when considering all other spectacular achievements that have been made they can find a cure!!! They were saying on the news that they are working on a method of taking cells from an individual, doing some changes and adding them back and so far it's been killing cancerous cells.. wouldn't that be something! Not so sure it will happen in my day though.

Beans sound yummy, mouth watering, roast with all fresh veggies might be in order on the weekend.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 17, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8761333

Carol - so glad to hear Rascal's continuing to do well, and that Sassy looks better too! yay!
57? That's my age... yikes! It's too young for her to have gone so quickly. I only hope she was able to say "goodbye" to all her family/friends.
French green beans - saw them yesterday at Freshcos on 5th Ave NE - near 28th St. It's a Veggie/Fruit Wholesale place - a small greek grocery store in a strip mall. I just went there for the first time yesterday and bought 11 lbs of very ripe tomatoes for $6!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 17, 2011

Post #8761879

Carol
I agree with Susan, 57 is too soon. I will let my friend in the business know , she may have know this lady too.
My sympathies to you.
Happy to hear that Rascal is doing better and that Sassy is getting more comfortable. Must be easier for you too!
Yum Liver.
"M" Living with constant pain removes many moments of joy, I'm casting a spell to make you better! Shazzammm!!!. ...did it work?
Betty vehicles can be expensive, its a gamble to fix or replace, tough choice.
We are into cooler weather here, some yellow leaves are falling, Slugs are out in full force so off I go to hunt them,
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 17, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8761925

Yikes, Ann - falling leaves already? I know we're sometimes going down to 8c during the night, but still get high ones in the daytime (what am I saying... that's Calgary anytime!!)
Slugs? yuck!
~M~ did her spell work, huh? huh? huh? ...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 17, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8762219

Alberta Ann .. thank you for the 'SHAZAMmmmmmmmmm :-) I sort of felt a bit of relief, but, am now up after having just 90 minutes sleep ..
Had mt ultra sound today .. quick procedure .. looked at what was being scanned and thought it looked curious .. tech said it basically was showing soft tissue and tendons and muscle .. she didn't say much more than that though.
The 'report' will be at the physio clinic and my docs office next week.

Birthday dinner was good, usually I say GREAT, but, for some reason things were just not as good as in previous visits to this particular Chinese restaurant. Found the food a bit too greasy for my lining, and not that piping hot .. however, we still all enjoyed it.
Lorna is in 7th heaven as she has a new Echo gas trimmer with a pruning attachment .. she plans to prune several of the fruit trees as well as shrubs ... her upper body strength is a force to be reckoned with I gotta tell ya. She prunes and trims from her riding mower .. where there's a will, there's a way !!

Physio again in the morning, then none til next week again (3x) .. had to give my head a shake when the receptionist asked me re appts in SEPTEMBER .. it was like 'OH MY, September already'!
Then I realized how many fall fairs are happening in the area .. local corn is just coming online as well this weekend.
Like your area Betty, our nights dip down, but our days see temps in the high 20s and low 30s still.

Best get comfortable .. looks like I'll be sitting up to sleep for the next couple of hours. Have a dog on either side of me for company though, always makes me feel better :-)

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 17, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8762225

~M~ Glad you got some relief...
Well, at least the B-Day dinner wasn't BAD!
Was the Echo trimmer a b-day pressie for Lorna? So happy she's continuing gardening - I know it's a love of hers!!
Yes, SEPTEMBER is coming... 8c during the night, but only back to 17c during some days. It's going to be 28c next Monday, but in the meantime only 18c tomorrow.
Sure wish you could get some sleep Marilyn - however, you DO have company, so that's nice, eh?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 18, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8762701

Morning all, fall is in the air..are any of you pleased?

I have DG friend Barb and her hubby coming for the week, willl be arriving on Monday, feel badly that my gardens are as flowerful as June/July...a lot of phlox though..was thinking of going to $$$ store and buying plastic ones and setting them in the garden for a laugh!!!

"M" we could have been chatting all night, sorry you aren't getting much sleep..I've been up due to severe back pain..sitting here wondering how I'll make it through today..should have brought pain meds in!

Ohhh goodness, women and their tools, I also would have been thrilled to receive such a birthday present! Thank goodness she can still do what she loves...sorry the meal wasn't the best, but, you didn't have to cook!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8762969

Sorry to hear your back is doing so poorly, Betty - sounds like you're at the office?

Yesssssssss - women and their tools! My dad was a "toolman" and I got my love of tools from him - he was a plumber, too! s'funny though - I prefer hand tools, and I married a Power Tool Man! One that needs 3 of everything (or 4...) One for him, and a spare, one for house, and a spare AND if he has someone working with him, That Person has to have one, too (use Bob's spare if needed) LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 18, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8762987

you know me, LOVE my tools

men in he neighborhood borrow from me!!! lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8763025

LOL and men, where I worked last, used to come to me for tools, too - even the Maintenance Men lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 18, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8763575

Suffice to say, Lorna will likely be a hurtin unit in the morning!!!
She was out pruning the shrubs and trees with her 'new toys' today .. WOW .. our 2 Cedars never looked so good, as do the Lilacs and Spirea and apple trees .. whooda thought that she would ever be able to do what she is doing with a leg missing !? I sometimes have to bite my tongue as I hold my breath so that I don't tell her 'NO NO NO do NOT do that'!! She knows her limitations and is seldom out of eye shot and always carries her cell phone ..
ME .. well .. tools boggle my mind, heavy and smelly and dangerous LoL I kinda go for pots and pans and wooden spoons :-)

Gorgeous day here .. so much sun this summer .. rain would be nice ..

Take the SUV in for a window tint tomorrow .. takes 5 hours ... my last vehicle came with tinted windows, I got used to the benefits of that option !

Betty, good luck with you DG company .. and I think you should go with the plastic flowers :-)

Toodles

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 18, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8763869

A brief storm passed thru about half hour ago- lots of noise, heavy rain and hail but not as much as the last time thank goodness. Sassy gets quite upset by the noise but won't let me hold her, I sat in the rocker in the kitchen window and suddenly there was a great rainbow in the south - still raining hard at my house!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2011
10:43 PM

Post #8764070

oooooooh didn't see the rainbow, Carol - but sure heard the sudden storm! Bob saw a lightening flash in the house (kept my computer off!) - Boom, Boom! indeed!
Well, it's been a long day, so I'm going to head off to sleep - Bob's watching Rambo#3, so I leave him to it...
brrrrrrr only 9c now...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 19, 2011
1:57 AM

Post #8764148

Our rain/storm, again went south under Thunder Bay and out across the lake.

Watched 'Steel Magnolias' last night .. love that movie even if it is sad ..

Another night of an hour here and a few minutes there of sleep ... weary !!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 19, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8764568

oooh not good the not sleeping "M"...

looked like we might get rain but passed us by..lots to do this weekend outside with company coming so let's hope it doesn't rain..

Can't resist...

just too cute NOT to post

http://www.wimp.com/babymoose
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 19, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8764673

Wow not sure I'd want that big Mama in my back yard!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8764683

oh, but aren't those babies looking cute gamboling around! Makes me think of baby lambs... just bigger lol
and the mother vnudging them into play LOL

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 9:05 AM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 19, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8764770

Awwww ... sweet .. such an innocent calf, but, Momma is a force to be reckoned with and that's for sure!!

Re me and sleep .. somehow I think my years of working midnites semi prepared me for this life event I am dealing with .. yes i miss the sleep, but it seems I am able to get by on 4 hours a night with the occasional 6 thrown in.
Met a colleague today who has had the shoulder surgery ... she went kind of ashen when i told her I might have to have it. She was laid up for 6 months following !! Now mind you.. she had a 'ripped rotator cuff' I have an impingement .. so my surgery (were I to go for it) would be minimally invasive as opposed to hers.

Was in town early .. dropped off the car for the tint thing, and now await a call to say it's all done.

HOT here .. AC is on .. we did have a thunderstorm warning, but, it's gone now.

TTFN :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8764821

~M~ - as your "surgery-if-you-have-it" would be less invasive, yes you would need less of a lay-up. However, that being said, you're a different person than your friend, so you may need even less lay-up, depending on how strong that area is. If you are used to doing physical exercise then you may have more muscle buildup and this would help.
Like my mom, when she broke her wrist - she used to play the piano to stretch the muscles afterwards and it healed faster than the Dr thought it would.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 19, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8764868

Seems girls the storm is brewing in your neck of the woods..did check weather station for my area and are calling for 30 - 40% rain on both Sat. & Sun. Lots to keep me busy inside should that happen!

So many variable with regards to similar operations re healing process "M", you will know when the time comes and you cannot endure the pain and the sleepless nights..I also can survive on 6 hrs and do quite well, my problem is if I decide I need 8 hrs. then it's on to 10 hrs. + that my body needs.

Went out and sat at picnic area and it is extremely hot..

Keep watching the clock, 55 minutes left and then 1 week off..how exciting is that? l

I'll stay in town and run a few errands so I'll not have to come back.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 20, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8766809

Waving, lazy today, up early, did some painting then into town...just got home and Greg dropped in..nice going on motorcycle with him for a bit..these spiders are awesome..will post photo if I ever get off the couch. Took a few painkillers so am mello and lazy at same time...should really make use of the evening rather than doing nothing..

Storm didn't stay long ..let's hope this is all the rain we'll get this weekend..company comesMonday, would like to do a bit of garden clean up before they arrive..can't wait to meet Barb

What are you all doing today?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 20, 2011

Post #8766905

Wow, talk about torrential rain, boomers and light show..feel badly for neighbors who were having annual BBQ..about 60 now looking for shelter..warning came over weather app on I-pad

Rainfall Warning
Issued at Saturday, 20 August, 2011 6:00 PM

Local rainfall of 50 to 75 mm this evening. Slow moving thunderstorms are east of Lake Huron and moving east. These thunderstorms are expected to produce significant rain amounts. Local amounts of 50 to 75 mm in about 3 hours or less are possible.

Let's hope it doesn't reach your neck of the woods.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 20, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8766999

Can you say DELUGE !!!!!!!!! WOW Betty .. hope there is no flash flooding anywhere.
Betcha you got the storm we were to have gotten yesterday that slipped right on by.
Sure hope your back starts to feel better before Monday !!

SPIDERS!! What kind of SPIDERS ? Lordy I detest those insidious things .. I now, I know, they kill bad bugs yadda yadda .. but there seems to be a proliferation of some 'NOT so nice ones' around .. know several folks who have been bitten and run into some real problems with infection.

A gorgeous day here .. 23C and sunny .. was able to hang out laundry (with help) .. play with the dogs and just enjoy the lack of humidity and reasonable temps ..

Shoulder is 'so/so' today .. still keeps me up

Off to watch a movie

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8767047

~M~ Spider is a type of motorcycle...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 20, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8767054

That it is..not fond of motorcycles but this one I could enjoy..

Just walking doing groceries this morning I could barely stand the pain..thought I'd give it a day of rest so that I'm able to enjoy my week.
Pain killers work well for me!

Trees are just a blowing, rain has stopped for now or it's moved on..hope so!

Hope you are watching a good movie..watched a few good ones today as well, thank goodness for tvwhen you arent moving around!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8767572

What movies, Betty?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8767616

Betty, I think the rain gets to Ottawa tomorrow too. Although with a bit of luck it will go mostly south of us. Had a great day with our grand-twins, Amy & Nolan (age 9) at Upper Canada Village. http://www.uppercanadavillage.com/tourvil.htm It's about an hour away from us - even closer to where they live. For those who don't know it, the original buildings in the village were all salvaged from to be flooded communities when the St. Lawrence Seaway was built in the late 1950s. It's a great look back in history to the way things were done in the mid-1800s.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8768138

Morning all,

Not looking the greatest out there, more rumbling in the distance so ithe storm isn't ready to move your way yet! It did rain heavily but not as bad as they were calling for, but the day is young. Of course I left weed whackin for today..might not get done but there is always odds/sods to do inside!

ViolaAnn glad a good time was had by all..will have to do the tour when next I head your way! We have set Marie among the Hurons down the street...replica next to Martyrs Shrine and it's a quaint place to take visitors and young ones especially love each cabin having inhabitants reliving the past. So many activities..making flour from grains, candles, primitive game items, iron works etc. If you are ever in the area it would be a good place to take the children.

Well, best I get mobile just incase the sun comes out for an hour or so...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8768162

a SPIDER is a motorcycle !! Whodda thunk it LoL

Sounds as though we all have our 'Historic' settlements to visit with visitors. In Thunder Bay it's Old Fort William .. very well done, a re creation of a Voyageur village complete with costuming and authentic life skills played out to a 'T' by young students.

BRrrrrrrrrrr 8C out there this morning at 6am .. but, another stellar day is predicted .. not sure what that will bring with it .. but I do know I have some ideas as there are several festivals in the area.

Enjoy your day

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8768432

Still raining here..wish I hadn't left all the outside work for today..oh well, world won't stop because it's not done..

THEE Spider...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8768533

OMG Betty where's your leathers?????????

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8768559

Holy doodle !!! That is some kinda machine !!!
I almost thought you were sitting on it BACKWARDS LoL
WOW .. now Lorna is giving me the 'HMmmmmmmmmmm look' !! No doubt she's looking them up .. gimmee strength!

Put some clothes on the line, and POOF, yonder developed some nasty looking clouds .. we'll see if they amount to anything.

Off to tie up some HUGE sunflowers!!

~M~
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8768904

Just a quick one as the thunder and lightning is getting closer. Raining so hard that the roofs across the road look like they're boiling - and sirens staring everywhere.

Just wanted to report that my "tube method" of growing my sweet peas in the gravel bed has worked. I now have two whole flowers so far and lots of vine, though one in particular looks as if it's turning into a bush instead of a vine. HOWEVER - next time I will use larger diameter tubes. This was too hard to water, especially once the vines started coming, but otherwise a great solution to my problem.

Had several teenaged grandchildren here for a couple weeks and it sure is different than when they were little. A lot more expensive too.

And I leave for two months in S Africa on the 31st, so I'll be getting spring all over again. That's wonderful, but a real shock then to come back here to the dark mornings and evenings and the cold. BAH!!

Skimmed what I'd missed and just wanted to give good wishes for full recovery of backs, arms and pets.

Gotta shut down now for safety, but I'll try to get on one more time before I leave.
~marilyn

This message was edited Aug 21, 2011 4:30 PM
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8769083

Got a photo of my lonely (so far) sweet pea.

Thumbnail by cybercrone

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8769131

Wanting to chat, creative way to garden..omg can I come with you, I,d be great with doing maid service..

Yikes, iffy out there, goingtoshut down swell

Just came across iPad..some outside things should get done

Severe Thunderstorm watch
Issued at Sunday, 21 August, 2011 3:48 PM

Severe thunderstorms possible this afternoon and evening. Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms this afternoon and evening. Wind gusts to 90 km/h, hail to 2 cm in diameter, and heavy downpours are likely with these thunderstorms. A tornado is possible. This is an alert to the potential development of severe thunderstorms with large hail, damaging winds or heavy rainfall..Monitor weather conditions and listen for updated bulletins.

Gab after

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 21, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8769193

Hi - got some terrific news from a friend - they're lending us their 21 ft Motorhome for next weekend! So, it won't be too cold in the am when we wake up! And, no problem using it if it rains lol
These are some church friends of ours. They've lent it to their grandson & his wife & 2 girls. They'll bring it back on Thursday afternoon, Bob will get familiar with it, and we take off for camping on the Friday morning!! whooooo hoo! I've never camped in a motorhome before! Bob's driven a bus up to 40ft long, so this will be a cinch for him.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8769369

Well, storm must have passed us on, blue sky above. But then I said that earlier didn't I??

Time for pain killers..joining your pain group "m". Lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8770395

Great news Susan .. you'll reap the benefits from being UP and OFF the ground :-) Enjoy your time away.

Betty .. how's your back ..sounds like sciatica .. have you tried a heating pad? I wish you all the best with your company, it's not pleasant at all having guests and not being 100%. When Lorna's parents were here in June, I was not enjoying their visit, and, as a consequence we ate out a lot more than usual which bothered me as her Mom is kind of a 'finicky' eater. They are supposedly coming in September, up in the air right now though as they both are having health issues. I have mentioned a trip east to Lorna, but she is still reluctant to travel.

Marilyn .. what a lovely sweet pea, glad your experiment worked for you. Safe travels in S. Africa :-)

It was 7C at 6am this morning .. and .. get this .. it is SUPPOSED to go up to 40C tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gag me ...

Cleaning the fridge today, about need a MAP to navigate through it right now and I can't hack it ..

Have a great week all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8770637

Marilyn - we were always "UP and OFF the ground" cuz we have a 19" queen sized inflatable bed. I couldn't Do the flat on the ground thingie...

I'm soooo looking forward to this weekend. We got a new spot, fully serviced - not sure what it looks like, but we asked for it to be near friends that are also camping there, in a camper.

Just spoke to another couple that we meet up with when we go to Pincher Creek (they're in Cardston, so 1 hour drive further and we won't be able to drive the motorhome that far) and he's been staving off a heart attack, and she still has a very bad back from 2 months ago. She said they haven't been to church for 3 months, and no one from the church has contacted them so they don't know how badly off they are!! I think that's Horrible, and so does she... It's a Mormon Temple and there are sooooo many people that go there, that no one seems to miss them, apparently. Unacceptable to me. I feel like calling the Temple (I'm not a mormon) and Telling Them! Shame on their temple!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 22, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8770675

Taking pain killers, as long as I'm not on my feet for any length of time I'm ok..that is exactly what it is, am sure it's all the driving I did in a few short days..won't be long I'll be in tip top shape..

I'm so looking forward to their visit that nothing could turn me off (within reason)!

Perfect day, no humidity, high 60's. To low 70's, can't ask for better than that.

Terrible all the damage the tornado did in Godrich...worse I got here was what was left of the flowers for Barb to see are snow on the groi d..not worthy of mention in comparison to what many are dealing with!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8770687

I want anyone's opinion, please, about calling the Mormon Temple. Do you think I should, on behalf of this couple in pain? I'm not a mormon, and not sure if the couple would appreciate it. I'm so incensed about it - no one is helping, no one at the Temple knows or has phoned to see why they're not attending anymore... I know she's upset about it.

btw - my car registed 39c yesterday, when it was supposed to only reach 30c, so I wonder what it will be when it's supposed to be 29c today...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8770907

Susan,

I might call on this couple's behalf, but I wouldn't bee too hard on the Temple if they haven't reached out themselves. It's quite possible that over the summer months people just thought they were away. I'm a strong believe that if people want help they need to let people know they need help.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8770913

Susan .. perhaps a call placed to another Member of the Temple who could pass the info along to 'them that be' might be best.
Personally, I wouldn't intervene as I know zip about the politics within the Mormon Church.
I belong to a large Roman Catholic parish and I know that people there fall between the cracks as well especially if they are sick at home and not in hospital. The Priests go to the hospital every few days and are made aware if a parishoner has been admitted, and, they get a visit.

Feel bad for ya Betty .. sciatica is a pain in the butt .. LITERALLY .. anti inflammatories work best, along with tylenol.

I read about Goderich .. YIKES .. awful ..

Sorry to hear about Jack Layton .. I have met him in passing a couple of times, a very nice man ..

Well .. i cleaned the fridge!! Enlisted Gord's help though as the big bins are not for me to lift right now.
Took me a good 2 hours and I have again hung my head low as it seems we WASTE so much !!! I always picture a thrid world family AGHAST at my garbage !!!!

Gloomy day .. think I'll head outside and see what Lorna is up to. i hear the machine way out back ..

Toodles

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 22, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8770963

"m" he sure went down hill quickly! One never know..he fought so hard this past election and came so close to reaching his dream..sad!

Nice to have the air off and windows open...enjoyable..laying here and feel guilty that I'm doing nothing. Weeds are calling me but I'm not listening!

Other than when I have company,then I overdo I eat out and purchase just enough for light supper for that reason..purchase Friday and before end of week throw it in the garbage or start science projects

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8771015

Both they, and the Temple in Salt Lake City seemed genuinely pleased that I called. If it gets them help, and someone's nose is "out of joint" so be it! I'm not afraid to get help for them, and I believe all of us need help at some time. I realize that sometimes in the summer, many things fall through the cracks. It behooves me to do the best I can, and if that sounds like I'm meddling, I'm not worried. Someone has to speak on their behalf, I feel.
They aren't even able to work on their garden, and it's a bountiful one - I outta know, I helped shell peas at their place last month lol Reeva was ailing with her back then, and Ron did all the gardening, now His heart is giving him trouble. He's already had 3 heart attacks, and is afraid they would put a stint in, so he's not calling the Dr (I wish he would...).
One of the things we have in common is gardening. I would hate to see them give it up.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8771351

Sorry to hear about Jack Layton- he went downhill very fast but that is how it happens sometimes.

Susan good for you for speaking up for your friends.

I was sick pretty much all last week ( me and Sassy too who had diarrhea!) just a tummy upset of some sorts and very uncomfortable and no energy, kept lying down for naps but it seems to have passed on the weekend. Sassy unfortunately still has not totally improved although it seems she is on the way. She continues to lose weight. I had to wash her bum so often by the end of the week she would not come near me, would not even let me brush out her coat a bit.

Had a little photo session this morning with one of our foster families getting new pics of Sadie and Sassy. Sassy did let Joan brush her a bit and I will get her to the groomers later in the week I hope and she will shave the 'poop chute' so it will be easier to keep her clean if this happens again.

I had two extra dogs here this weekend, helping out an ex foster family in a bind, they were not much trouble., good think since I did not feel well enough to walk or play with them! But whenever I lay down for a nap they both got on the bed/couch with me.

My brother will be here for a couple of days this coming weekend so since he is a neat freak I decided to clean a few things that have not been cleaned a long time. My cleaner will come Wed but today I washed the back screen door in and out and the white railings on the steps- dont think I have ever washed them! Tomorrow I will do the front. Wonder how he will feel waking up with animal hair in his mouth? LOL! He has never owned a pet in his life! And my guest bedroom is also my computer room and the dog rescue room.

The garden is looking rather bedraggled after two hails storms this month., the big hostas in particularly are badly shredded.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8771356

I thought you might enjoy this pic.

Bailey: give me that treat!
Sassy:boring!
Abby: I'm out of here!
Shadow: Can we get this over with please?
Sadie: Not looking at the darn camera again!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8771425

lol Carol on the dog pics! Sassy looks pretty much like my neighbour's dog, Angel, but Sassy has more hair.
Neat freak brother, with dog hair in the house... should be interesting lol Glad he's coming to visit you, that will be nice, I'm sure. How long since you've seen him?
Sounds sweet that the dogs got up with you - shows they care and trust you :-)

I have only one hosta in my garden, with 4 leaves - 3 torn and one new one that came After the hail storms. For the first time, this hosta is blooming (ya think the hail had anything to do with it? Weird!!)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 23, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8772891

Oh my .. what gorgeous pics, well behaved dogs (or an efficient photographer ) :-)

Hot one on tap here .. mega humidity .. staying inside thanks .. have appts the next 3 days ..

Had a good look at my flower beds .. look gnarly .. most flowers have lost their 'ZIP' .. weeds are offensive and I will have to address that sooner as opposed to later.
Veg garden is producing in spades!!!

Sleep situation remains crummy .. but .. physio is helping .. slow and steady wins the race ..

Take care all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8772916

Isn't "gnarly" good? it IS in the lexion of the 80's or 90's as per Pauley Shore, right?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 23, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8773271

LOL Marilyn- here is the proper picture! The other was just silly before we could get them lined up!

My garden is looking rather gnarly also! Bailey has decided he likes to go lie in the shade of the Willow in the flower beds and I have not stopped him as it is an area just filled with ground cover. We have been hit by hail twice this past month. It has been hot. I did remember to water this morning. Time i planted the groundcover junipers I bought to go under the new Amur Cherry tree. Dont seem to have much get up and go for gardening this year.

I am having a house clean week of sorts.( typical for me if company is coming) This morning I did the fridge and under the sink. Cleaner comes tomorrow, then I have to do towels and sheets and generally tidy up. I have had some of the carpets up and rooms gated off because of Sassy's diarrhea but she is better now still think I will wait until Friday or Sat. before I put them down again.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 23, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8773274

I guess 'gnarly' could go either way ... my Morning GLory vines are very gnarly in that they are actually 'gnarled'. however, the 2 outrageously gorgeous pink blooms on them today are 'totally gnarly' in a Southern California type of way .. BUT .. the 3 ear wigs that scooted out from under a potted plant on the patio today were GNARLY in a North Western ON type of way, and they succumbed in due course !!
LOL .. I re read this and just laughed !!

We are HOT and HUMID here today .. staying inside and catching up on some neglected items ..

Hope eveyone is having a great day :-)

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 23, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8773375

Carol
A lovely bunch of "kids" ! I am having a giggle with the idea of your brother coming to a dog house and he's a neat freak! Look forward to the stories afterward.
'M' keep working and it will help in the end.
Betty, fridge...science... thanks for reminding me ...i'd better have a look.
Susan are you going on your trip? Motorhome sound positivly decadent. I just may camp if I could "not sleep on the ground"
We are too warm here again the good thing is that it cools off at night. Sleep is possible.
Bye for now.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8773494

Ann - we're leaving on Friday am, and will be back sometime on Sunday (just staying the 2 nights).
Think we'd have to "park" the motorhome at the campground and walk anywhere we want to go... 10 miles to the gallon seems awfully little to get by on, so we're not driving in it anywhere!!
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8773840

Now, camping in a motor home is something I could go for! My parents used to do a lot of that and took small bicycles in the camper so they could get around their area.

Susan, I'm glad you called the temple. There is, I think, something called a stake captain who is supposed to keep track of the members in a certain area. I seem to recall that from friends I had who were Mormon. Maybe he was away on vacation. What ever it was, I'm sure glad you got some help for those folks. With families spread out so far these days, church is usually the closest group we have near to home.

Again, best to all those with very sore parts, including the furry people.

Betty with only one suitcase allowed these days, I'd have trouble sneaking you onto the plane. But never fear, I'll have lots of pics to share again when I come home. If you didn't see it, I blogged at grannym.wordpress.com Travelling is my main passion right now and don't do much else so I can save for that. And now I've gotten myself involved in a new project at http://www.tribaltravel.info and that's taking a lot of time and attention too.
Tomatoes have been great this year, but brocolli tanked again. I just have NO luck with brocolli!

Anyway, off to organise some more stuff.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8774077

thanks for the kind words, m'dear! I could Not see them being forgotten - as you said - families are spread out so thinly.
My DH & I have only our church as our family, as most of my siblings and my mom are 1 1/2 day's drive away and cannot afford to make the trip...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 24, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8774140

Morning all, did read all your posts and could chat for ions but it's time to be up and at it..breakfast to be made! Excited that I've cooked 4 meals and not burnt one of them..week is young though. Lol

It's wonderful to have DG friends visit and find them exactly as the are on line..Barb and Norm are the greatest..easy to be with.

Barm who loves quilting painted with the girls yesterday and she made 4 Victorian sleighs and is just so excited.

This morning we'll go to Fort Saint Marie among the Hurons, add that
to making a velvet dressed Victorian Santa for Barb and cement bird feeder for Norm to make and there goes today!

Love the photo of the dogs, they are absolutely gorgeous . Should be in movies, look at them pose!! Sorry Carol about your not being well..lol about the hair, I now close off bedrooms so that they are hair free areas.

Susan, bet you are already packed and waiting at the door ...Friday vantage come quick enough! How wonderful of you to take on your friends cause..think too many of us find it easier to have a blind eye.

Cybercrime, if I can't go then I'd love to see photo's..I don't think I ever planted broccoli, maybe your soil isn't rich enough.

Oooh company stirring time to start the day!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 24, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8774158

Marilyn .. I was able to read the blog (grannym) but the 'tibaltravel link' wouldn't work for me. Enjoy your time away ..

Nice to hear things are going well with the visitors Betty, how's your back holding up ?

Susan, 10 mpg !!!!!!!!! Yikes ... I knew motorhomes were gas guzzlers guess that's why you see folks trailering small cars behind them, or, bicycles on board. Only 2 more sleeps and you're off :-)

Carol .. the picture is just perfect !!! Beautiful animals ..

Lorna is off to the gynecologist this morning, after a 14 month wait !! Not looking forward to it, how many of us do.

Enjoy your day !

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 24, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8774635

Betty - nope, not ready - sounds too easy to pack up without getting a lot of things done ahead, Plus, my DH is working on the deck still (replacing a lot of boards) Plus I've been painting our friend's bathroom, Plus my DH hasn't put away all the camping gear we Won't need (tents, beds, coolers, tools, etc) so our "moving around room" is severly stunlted! Today is a "free" day, so hope to get a lot done, plus I need to get my hair cut!

Last Sat I was so angry because the con artist that Bob got "taken" by in Winnipeg showed up at our door, he's been back on Sunday, yesterday, and again this am! This "person" was someone Bob was contracted to, and Cam took Bob's pay (Bob was subcontractor to Cam being a contractor). I had to "blow the whistle" on this guy and the owner of the company paid Bob & deducted the $$ from Cam's pay, but when we moved to Calgary, Cam followed us...Bob forgave him and he stayed (against my wishes) with us for a few months and did it again! Now 4 years later, he's come back like a bad penny. He knows Bob doesn't have a perm job, so he's trying to weasel his way back in. I told Bob that if he Ever gives into Cam and his "get rich quick schemes" again, that's IT for he and I. He knows that I don't like the way Cam has ruined our financial lives twice before and he knows that I'm serious. I Will Not stand for it.
Thanks for letting me vent!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 24, 2011

Post #8775118

Susan .. good for you for taking a stand re this Cam fellow .. it's almost as if he is stalking Bob .. I'd be frantic as well as extremely suspicious .. I wish you all the best with this ..

Packing for camping .. Lordy .. between cleaning the camper, stocking it, with not just the essentials but also the 'JUST IN CASE STUFF', once we hit the road I was exhausted only to get to the lake and have to work in reverse LoL
See that .. I can LAUGH about it NOW .. at the time I spent the first half day of the holiday being kind of snarly because I was so pooped !!

Hope the visit to Fort Saint Marie was good Betty as well as your other plans for today .. did the weather play havoc with any of it ?
We have BIG wind here and occasional rain showers ..

Docs appt for Lorna went well .. follow ups to come ...

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 24, 2011

Post #8775149

Glad to hear Lorna's appt went well, Marilyn!
If you thought packing a camper was tedious, you should have had to pack 2 tents, sleeping bags, 2 fridges, a tool box (for matches, lanterns, small propane bottles, heaters, etc) and the box for pots/pans/dishes/cutlery, plus the 2 non-perishable coolers... stoves, and 30 lb propane tank, Plus any furniture we needed for around the campfire (chairs and small stools for chair-side tables) plus extra clothing in addition to the heaters, because of risk of frost in high altitudes!! In the Motorhome we just need to pack the food, our clothing and personal linen and toiletries. Everything else is there, including a furnace and fridge/stove! Heck, it may even have a chemical toilet! Bob & I have one, but we haven't used it because our tenting campsite was Right Next To the Toilet (no, not an outhouse lol)
We haven't even seen the motorhome, but we know that the couple who own it are rather fastidious, and they've used it into October.

btw - anyone know what's the best thing to do for a burn that's gone to being a blister? I was making some mint jelly last night, and the scalding jelly (with sugar!) splashed on my baby finger. I know I did wrong in putting cold water on it, but it was Painful, then later I put some medicated cream on it so that settled it down. It isn't a large area - just around the inside of my baby finger knuckle, but now it's a blister.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 25, 2011
12:17 AM

Post #8775642

OUCH Susan ... here's a link I've found helpful re 'burns' .. http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/blister/page.html

Packing for camping is certainly not for sissies LoL Always a challenge to remember everything, lists are a MUST.
Short weekend excursions weren't too bad, but packing for 2 weeks to a month required the patience of a saint and the memory of an elephant mixed with a lot of good luck !!!
But .. the ensuing quiet and solitude, once you reached your destination, made up for all the grunting and groaning LoL

Sitting here just past 3am and the wind is still brisk outside .. the windchimes are in fine form !
Betty, I think your area might have gotten some bad storms ?
Have friends who have lived in The Bahamas (Freeport) for years .. seems 'Hurricane Irene' might be paying them a visit ..

Have a wonderful day out there ...

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 25, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8776595

Well, apparently the campers who have the motorhome now aren't back yet, but will be back this afternoon. I hope so, because they have to unpack and clean it, then my DH has to go over to the owners and learn about it (keys, etc). We're hoping to leave early tomorrow am! It uses 10 mpg... so it's not going to be cheap!

Marilyn - thanks for the info re: burns. Guess I have a 2nd degree burn, cuz Boy Do I Have A Cushion on my wee finger! It's about 1/4" thick! So, it will take about a week to completely heal, eh? It's not causing any discomfort, but it's annoying as all heck cuz I brush up against it all the time lol I'm trying Very hard not to puncture it, but it's tempting... LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 25, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8776761

It is SOoooooooooooo tempting to break the blister, but, that's just an opening for infection to creep in .. truthfully, I have either broken or had a blister break on it's own over the years .. I'm still here .. if it did break, you'd just have to ensure it was covered with an antibiotic ointment and a bandaid.

Good luck with motorhome .. you're going to be busy !!

I mentioned Daves Site to a friend today, she is considering joining :-)
Fingers crossed on that ..

Off to walk the doggies

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 25, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8776842

I'll take the antibiotic cream and bandaids this weekend... likely break it anyway, when I'm camping or around the campfire!!

I've mentioned DG and Cubits to several people I meet, in garden centres, and I'm sure some of them are online even as we post lol :-)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 25, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8777342

I tend to think it impossible NOT to have the blister break as ,we, as women are continually multi tasking, hands in and out of water, tucking, peeling, cleaning .. bound to bang the boo boo and, POOF!

Been a long while since I joined Daves, I have tried to recall exactly what it was you could 'do' with an unpaid subscription .. as in a non paying member .. it mustn't have been much because I joined as a paying member within a day or two.
If Natalie joins it'll be a bonus, she is quite an avid gardener with a wealth of experience and a MAXI green thumb :-)

Am thinking Betty must be extra busy with her visitors .. also believe there may have been some bad weather to contend with .

Guess I'll unfold my 'blankie' and see how much rest I can get ..

TGIF

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 25, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8777431

Well, it's been 2 days, and the blister keeps getting bigger... and I DO do a lot of stuff - gardening, packing for camping, moving furniture around... but no burst...

At DG, without a paid subscription, you can't get into Canadian forums... that much I remember... but not sure what else you can't get into.
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8778137

One last post before I flee.

Susan - I've never let a burn get to the blister stage before I treated it, but due to my son's sensitivity to sunshine I always kept an aloe vera plant for treating him when he went out and sweated off his sunscreen. I found it worked wonderfully for regular burns too. Used it one time when I was so busy talking to a friend who was visiting that I tried to take a cast iron roasting pan out of the over to check the roast - without pot holders. You could HEAR the sizzle and smell the scorch, but I got the aloe on it fast and it didn't blister and no sign of anything within an hour. The stuff in the bottles isn't nearly as good as fresh-from-the-plant, but better than nothing.
And I know we always used to prick the blister with a sterilised needle, since everybody worked and it might tear off and then be hard to keep clean. A needle would let the liquid out so it could lay flat and not get ripped off and the small opening could be kept clean with a small band aid while working.

And Marilyn - I'm sorry if I wrote down that link wrong. It should be TRIBAL travel. It is here: http://www.tribaltravel.info/

I'll try to get some good plant pics for you all - and will miss Canada only on Thanksgiving . . . But I'll be ready to come home too.

Thumbnail by cybercrone

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 26, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8778154

Afternoon all, here I is..Barb and Norm are on their way home..am hoping their trip was all they wanted it to be..tried hard to cover everything..sitting here typing and i' nodding off..

Sunshine day but here and now a cloud comes out..doing bedding, floors need doing and the rest can wait..still have to down load all my photo's..been to busy to even do that, it's now a priority!

Hear Sailor barking so best go see who is here..waving to all, be back shortly to respond to the above posts..

Keep safe everyone
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 26, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8778190

cybercrone love the Protea! did you grow it? May not get an answer as you may be gone, enjoy your travels and we will "see" you when you return.
Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 26, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8778643

Well Marilyn, if you get this post .. I wish you all the best .. I looked at the site and read the accomodations part and looked at the pics .. Ummmmmmm .. an open pit latrine .. I have to hand it to ya .. and Hyennas at night to boot ..
Will you be teaching ?

Watched a wonderful movie today .. 'A love song for Bobby Long' .. John Travolta and Scarlett Johanson .. one word of caution .. if A LOT of smoking bothers you, this movie should be avoided .. but, a wonderful story.

Glad to see your OK Betty ;-)

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 26, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8778661

You are one brave woman ,Marilyn taking on such an adventure...wishing your travels are trouble free and that you return with pictures galore!!

Sure looks as though we are in for a storm...Sailor is so restless tonight..has pulled almost all the hair out on her hip, quite a sight!

"m". Smoking?? Was it a video rental or a theatre show? Love almost all of John Travolta shows..quite a hunk..Michael was worth seeing as well.

What's the weather like in your neighborhood??

Won't be a late night..been fighting an upset tummy since early this morning..

Yes we are fine, really haven't had inclement weather in my neighborhood but as I said, company left a day early because Irene will be visiting their neighborhood

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8779295

Betty .. hope your tummy has settled down a bit .. probably the rush and change in schedule that comes with having company. Glad to hear all went well.

Re 'smoking' .. the movie, as watchable as it was, and enjoyable too .. had a lot of smokers in it .. John Travolta has steel grey/silver hair in it, and plays the role of an alcoholic ex English professor .. he either was nominated, or rec;d an Academy Award for the part. The other 2 main actors also 'smoke' lots .. am trying to think if I have seen that much cigarette smoking in perhaps 'Newer films'.
We watch rented movies on weekends, and the DIVA channel on week nights .. one of my Hospice clients got me hooked on video rentals, and I find it quite enjoyable as long as you have a good movie .. several have been watched for half and hour and removed from the CD player because they were just plain 'weird' LoL

I wonder is Susan got away on her camping trip?

Sweet corn is IN here now .. so will be off to pick some today. I was supposed to be in a Golf Tournament but Jack Laytons death and the timing of his funeral and the services here saw a huge loss of particpants .. I went to a Memorial service for him on Thursday .. just beautiful and very moving .. BTW .. a golfer I am NOT (especially with my shoulder) but, I am a fair to middlin good 'fund raiser'

Should get going on the laundry

Have an excellent weekend

~M~

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 8:39 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 27, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8779438

Mornimg all,

Not quite sure what the day will bring seeing as the sun is out one moment and cloud the next!

"M" I would think golfing would all but do your shoulder in . Best you relax instead!

Must drop into the vegetable market on my way home from town as well..could live on corn..imagine we are near end of corn season here...

Yes, tummy is still not quite up to par, not used to eating regular meals..lol

Don't rent movies as I now get Netflix, for $8.00 a month unlimited viewing and not having to pick up or return movies I most enjoy that method..as well, keep the viewing place you last stopped at should you need to leave.

Great, because I can watch it on my iPad as well...

Got to get ambitious, off to a BBQ this afternoon, would much rather have stayed home and put my feet up but no can do!

I would imagine Susan is off enjoying her weekend and will have stories for us upon her return...let's hope weather cooperates.

Imagine this weekend is the long weekend and really the end of the summer, yikes did I just say that?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8780078

How to grow donuts.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Offbeat/62971/Donut-seeds

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 28, 2011
1:10 AM

Post #8780593

LoL .. Carol, I'll never look at my Cheerios in the same way again !!! Thank you for the smiles :-)

Betty .. I think next weekend is the long weekend .. then school goes back in. It's usually then that we get about a month of incredibly stellar weather.
Hope you enjoyed the BBQ .. we're having one today ..
The Sweet Corn, I think, was a bit on the 'early side' .. I used to like it, but, ever since I lost my sense of taste the enjoyment and anticipation of 'harvest foods' has kind of lost it's appeal.

Am going to have to investigate 'Netflix' .. I keep hearing about it, and it surely would be easier than going into town to get movies and then the ever tedious task of 'REMEMBERING to return them' on or before a week is up ..

Sleep is not my friend again tonight .. sleepy I am though, so, will try the 'uppity sleeping'

Have been reading articles and watching videos on the progression of Hurricane Irene .. flooding and ocean surges seem to be the big concerns. That and people who feel they are 'above being killed' if they jump into the pounding surf !

TTFN (YAWN)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 28, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8780720

Morning all,

Wind is up but it's kind of nice to feel cool breeze for a change..cant tell if if it will be a sunny or a cloudy day..either is fine for me, have 5 quilt block I need done and 12 charm packages to be cut ..sure would be great if I could post tomorrow..watch me do nothing and play lazy!

I've been watching Irene as well, quite a few DG members along her path..

Carol, enjoyed the link!!

Ate so much at BBQ that my tummy is off this morning. Maybe a coffee will help ..

Furries are looking at me, think they want to be fed

Enjoy your day!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8781092

LOL on the donut seeds!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 28, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8782249

$5 per seed? LOL Boy, did They see him coming!

Got home from camping awhile ago, and going to relax for the rest of the evening - will post again tomorrow.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 28, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8782255

Pricey seeds those :-)
Hope you had a nice time away camping Susan.

Have had a skunk 'let go' out back .. PHEW .. what a smell .. I can even smell it ..

Hope everyone enjoys their upcoming week, any East Coast forum members will likely be getting quite wet !!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 28, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8782268

Apparently there was a skunk in our campground, eating at garbage... but Not letting loose, thank goodness lol
Had a wonderful trip. Here are some friends we met up with there (met them the last time, and planned to meet them again this time - it was lovely). Here are Margriet and her hubby Winston, and their adorable daughter Joslyn (4 yo in October).

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

August 29, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8783280

Usually I'm just a Lurker on this forum...my life just isn't as eventful as you busy ladies.However on Saturday night my DIL hosted a fund raising dinner for Canadian World youth.My grandson is volunteering this winter ,first in PEI then in Indonesia.The dinner featured Indonesian food.The tables wore colorful Indian Sari's as cloths.My garden was the site of this event.We entertained 35+ people.Thankfully Irene was not among the guests.Here is a picture of the party.

Thumbnail by agedgardener

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

August 29, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8783285

And another picture...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 29, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8783301

OMG what a place to have a dinner party..was it catered? Beautifully decorated..I'm so glad that Irene wasn't in attendance! Gorgeous people...now who is who???
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

August 29, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8783582

the party was not catered.My wonderful DIL did all the cooking and planing.Friends and family helped out with tables chairs, Saris and decorating the tables.I provided the garden and some of the guests.DIL worked for 2 days on the food..She is an Acadian and loves to cook and entertain which does with all the flair and expertise of a professional caterer.I was taking the pictures so I'm not in any,GS friends waited on the tables wearing white shirts and African print aprons.They wore pants too!!!!!This was my table .The girl in red is my eldest daughter .The man in sunglasses sang at my wedding.JOY

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

August 29, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8783632

Dil who hosted and cooked for the party

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

August 29, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8783640

The photographer ..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8783664

Joy .. what wonderful pictures, and, what a wonderful event !!! Am SO happy 'Irene' kept away !!
Tables look lovely and I can imagine the food was scrumptious .. good luck to your grandson !!!

TBay is as warm as ever, AC has been on all day .. temp reached 32C today and, get this, down to 8C tonight !!!

Tomorrow I have an eye exam booked .. haven't had one for 10+ years, and, after the last one I purchased a pair of glasses that did nothing but nauseate me when I looked up from where I was sitting to speak to someone .. had them adjusted twice .. no deal, so, reverted to 'cheaters' .. but .. over the last 2 months I have noticed a definite change ..

Susan .. I am hoping the SKUNK stays away tonight !!!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 29, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8783791

Joy what gorgeous people, you've given me an idea for a fundraiser for next summer..not as elaborate as yours but a little tea perhaps..what alternate plans would you have incase it would have rained?? Now that photographer is beautiful, regal, just glowing..wouldn't by any chance the photographer be you?

Just got a call that an old family friend just passed away, heart attack..drats and more drats..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8783850

M- the skunk was in the campground, not our neighbourhood lol
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

August 29, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8783893

I don't think we had a plan B but she has had that many people for her family reunion and had it in the house.Mind you it was crowded!!Yes that old girl was the photographer.I guess I should photo shop that picture!! Here is my GS waiting on table No wonder I'm a proud Grammy Joy

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 30, 2011
2:48 AM

Post #8784447

I'm having about 60 for mom's 80th birthday on the 17 th and although I've asked for sunshine I rented a hall just to be safe!!

Aren't grandchildren about the best thing that happens in life.. Good looking and as for photographer's photo NO NEED for Photoshop..just beautiful!

Black outside so have no idea what weatherman is calling for..should turn on breakfast television and see what they have to say.

What do you all have planned for this long weekend?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8786435

Brrrrrrrrr .. kinda cool out there this morning .. definitely a hint of Autumn in the air.

Had my eye exam yesterday, and, need glasses .. picked out a pair will get them next week .. seems my vision for distance has diminished.

Labour Day weekend!! WOW .. sure seems to have arrived quickly! Plans are for a BBQ (or 2) and yard work (never ending) .. the veg garden is coming in daily as well as the apples from the trees .. today it's blueberry pie making day.

Blueberries were few and far between west of Thunder Bay this year, but plentiful east? Go figure .. raspberries are incredibly prolific, but, one raspberry pie is good for the year.

Have been going to funerals :-( My very first 'Head nurse' passed away .. then a Platoon Chief Gord worked with .. now a friends Mom .. hope that's my three for a bit.

Off to have a cuppa ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8786632

Sported a sweater this morning..you can feel that summer is all but over/ Actually I'm not sorry to see it come, isn't that strange..perhaps it's because it's been so hot I've not spent a lot of time outside so cooler weather will suit me just fine.

"M" know where you are coming from with regards to funeral, old family friend died Monday, just waiting to hear when funeral arrangements are, have another friend on death's door so know it's coming as well. Was telling Suzanne (SIL-co-worker) that we are now in the upper age group, it's either someone we know or soon to be us..she just shakes her head.

Seems Sailor has a few fleas, not that I've seen them but the girls that paint at my house on Tuesday said they did..know she scratches a lot but she has an allergy and every year about this time she pulls the hair off her haunches .. didn't want to take a change, last night washed Sailor with flea shampoo (she was such a good girl), this morning took her to have her nails clipped and vantage treatment, bought enough to get her through Oct./Nov.and Dec. also got it for the kitties, can't treat one and not the other. I made it to work 1 hour late which isn't bad considering vets didn't open until 8am

BBQ's sound like the plan of the day at least once over the weekend IF the boys are around. With starting school on Tuesday they have much to get ready and the last hoorahhh so who knows. I did think Saturday morning early I'd head to Meaford, beautiful town on Georgian Bay, lots of boutiques, big factory outlet that carries absolutely everything and spend the morning and be back early afternoon..I've enough to keep me busy the rest of the weekend. You are making me hungry just thinking of blueberry pie...mouth watering! Haven't really seen a lot of blueberries out along the roadside, usually every 10 miles or so you see a car with a sign but not this year.

Planning mom's 80th birthday - September 17th (actual birth date) so making lists, sending out invitation, calling some I have no address for..now to figure meal and finances..seems sibblings with mega $$$ try and keep it lol so I want to know exactly budget $$$ before I go spend my allowance.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8786802

Good luck with the party planning Betty .. hope you don't get stuck footing the entire cost ..

I'm with you on the need for some cooler weather .. this summer has been THE PITS in so far as gardening goes .. ONE thing that 'took off' unexpectedly is the Sunflowers Lorna planted .. I have to get a picture of them ,, good grief .. they are well over 6' tall and just heading up into flowers now .. going to be spectacular !!!
As for the other gardens .. well .. because of my shoulder my work in them was minimal .. but .. for weed control in one ai had MR SKUNK, and in another MR GROUND HOG .. both of these critters have since met their demise. One got into our neighbours PRIZE Pumpkin patch .. and THAT is intolerable when one is growing pumpkins for $$ depending on how large you can get them, and Neil gets them up over 900lbs.
At any rate .. time to put this summer of gardening behind us and put the beds to sleep .. maybe not right today .. but over the next few weeks.

Advantix should cure the flea problem .. we have one more dose of it left for our pups .. use it for TICK control .. seems to be working well.

Was going to try and change us over .. may give it a whirl .. always seem to do something incorrectly though ..

Take care

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 31, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8786816

Moved us over here (I hope )

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217244/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America