Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: Ready to plant

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 4, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8736590

I once grew a pineapple in a pot. It survived its first zone 9 winter outdoors, did not survive the 2nd. It was in a big pot so not easy to move around. This time around I will plant in a smaller/lighter pot so I can overwinter.

This is what my cutting looks like.

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8771215

I would suggest a very sandy soil and bright light for growing pineapples indoors. Also, you don't need to use more than about a 1 gal size clay pot (or plastic pot with some rocks in the bottom for stabilization). Like most bromeliads, pineapple plants have a very limited root system - generally just enough roots to hold the plant in the soil.

Thanks for the photo of your pineapple crown! To get the best results, you may want to strip off most of the small, brown leaves to expose any "primordia" (small root tips) that are often present under the brown leaves.

Enjoy!

Jeremy
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8772665

I did as you say and stripped more brown leaves from tops #2 and #3. The first top has already produced 2 new leaves.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8774712

here is a pic of my pineapple top #1, after 3 weeks. The arrows show new foliage. I am keeping this plant in a bright shade location.

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8778423

Awesome! The dried brown tips on the leaves are typical for a recently planted pineapple crown. As the plant matures, the new leaves will not show the dessication browning.

Best wishes for some fresh pineapple fruit in a few years!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America