Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Fuzzy, Strong-smelling ?Succulent?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 139
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FuzzyTree

August 4, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8737382

Hello, all! I have two plants that my father picked up for me at a nearby farmer's market. When he asked the person selling them what they were, she didn't know! She explained that they had been sold to her as cuban oregano, but as they developed, it became obvious that they were not.

Well, when he brought it home, I did a bit of googling, and found out that there was a plant called "Vick's Plant" that is commonly confused with cuban oregano, and some of the pics matched, so I thought the mystery was solved. However, when dad went back to the farmer's market and told the seller this, she said she had some Vick's Plant, and that was not it either!

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but they don't seem to be doing very well. I've been treating them like my other succulents, and there's no obvious sign of pests, but they're rather droopy (though I took a few of the worst leaves off).

It smells of camphor, is quite fuzzy, and has pronounced veins on the bottoms of the leaves.

Thumbnail by FuzzyTree
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FuzzyTree

August 4, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8737387

Another pic:

Thumbnail by FuzzyTree

FuzzyTree

August 4, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8737404

And another pic:

Thumbnail by FuzzyTree

3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

August 5, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8738159

It is still a type of plectranthus, as cuban oregano is. Do the leaves smell like vicks vapor rub when touched/ moved?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Lamiaceae/Plectranthus/none/cultivar/0/
This is the listing of the plectranthus.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2011 6:54 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8738305

I also think it is a Plectranthus. There are only about 350 species floating around

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plectranthus
HydroPinke
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8738446

It is Cuban oregano. plectranthus amboinicus. It just not the variegated species, which is slightly more common.
FuzzyTree

August 7, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8742960

Thanks all! I certainly looks like a member of plectranthus. I think it smells medicinal (or maybe like moth balls?), though I don't have much experience with Vick's Vapor Rub.

I'm having trouble figuring out which one from the plant files, though.

Its leaves seem much rounder than some of the pictures of p amboinicus (though others match) and I'm not sure why it would be named after an edible herb when it has that smell.

This picture of p socotranus also reminds me strongly of mine: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/35893/ but the picture from the other member lacks the distinct veining on the underside, and this picture isn't in a position to show it.

Any further thoughts? Maybe it'll be more obvious once it's bigger, or if it flowers. It looks like most of the plectranthuses want more water than other succulents, so I'll try that.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8743926

Plants in a species are kinda like brothers and sisters ...they all look similar but not identical. You can often find minor leave variations on the same plant at different stages of growth. I have heard the fragrance of Plectranthus amboinicus (cuban oregano) described as everything from minty oregano to minty turpentine...

I would certainly follow the care guidelines for Plectranthus until the plant attains a bit more size and flowers. Then you will be able to ascertain the proper species.
FuzzyTree

October 20, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8857468

It's gained a bit of size, though it has yet to flower, but I'm reasonably sure that it's Plectranthus coleoides 'Cerveza 'n Lime'.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America