Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: Please may I marry you in my next life

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 1, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
puertorico
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8738724

I really consider myself a bit of a weirdo because of the way I think about plants and now you've introduced yet another layer of weirdness that I am sure I will curse you for later. This statement, 'rescuing the bromeliad that has silently screamed to me from the grocery produce shelf, pleading for a second chance at life' is going to drive me crazy every time I go into the produce section, oh no. The thing I already do that is similar is I feel sorry for all pitiful or dying plants and I just know they want to come home with me and live a happy long life. Lots of us Dave's garden people are saviors of plants but I think I take it a bit too far when, if I am going to purchase a plant and there is a pitiful one among the healthy lovely ones I will often buy the pitiful one because I feel sorry for it, even if I have to pay full price. Also, I am so envious of your job, I have a real thing for zoo's and especially the horticulture and horticulturists at our zoo, what a delight it is to walk our zoo's paths and get to talk to all the wonderful plant people working there, I learn new things each time I go and I drive 1 1/2 hrs. each way to get there and I go at least twice a month and never tire of it. So yeah, you have the perfect job!

I really enjoyed your article and I send out a special salute to all the other Dave's Garden weirdos, it's fun to know you're out there.

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8771206

Hi, puertorico! I wish I could take you up on the future time-travel marriage proposal, but I've determined to go to the brightest light and avoid any further reincarnations (my Reader's Digest condensed version of the "Tibetan Book of the Dead" - go to the bright white light, avoid the warm, fuzzy lights as these will bring you back in a reincarnated form, and whatever monsters you encounter, don't be afraid because these are just projections of your own karma). LOL

I empathize with your pity for distressed plants. I don't often buy anything other than half-priced plants on the verge of the true death. If I happen to pick up a plant and put it in my shopping cart, then find another plant that looks a little healthier and put the first plant back on the shelf, I grieve for it not being the one chosen for adoption in my good home.

If you enjoyed this story of mine, you might also enjoy another of my DG articles: "True Confessions of a Gardening Addict"
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/200/

I've heard there are farmer's markets and produce stands that have peeler/corers for fresh pineapple fruit to sell, and that they toss out the green pineapple bromeliad crowns as trash. All I need to do is find one of those establishments, raid their dumpsters, and then my pineapple farm can really come to complete fruition!

Enjoy!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America