Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: HELP!!

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 16, Views: 196
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8740128

What is wrong with my brug? It's all wilting like it needs water, but it gets water every day. It started on one side, and now it's both sides... This has been in the last few days, this time last week it was healthy looking and lush. I was expecting it to start getting blooms. :( It's about 5 years old.

It's Adora if that matters.

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8740137

I wish I could help but other than water it looks like it needs food, did you check for any tiny bugs, some you cannot see.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8740147

I can't see anything on it it all. It has slow release fertilizer on it. I'm wondering about taking it out of the pot, spraying the roots off and putting it in the ground.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8740196

Hi pretty lady how long has that brug been in that pot? wondering if it is root bound? The other thing that comes to mind could it be because the salts from the fertilizer you use have built up to the point the brug is unhappy. When I grew them I had several and found I needed to run the hose once in a while for a good while to keep them happy.

Sorry I can't give you a solid answer some one will be along that will know. I just wanted to say hi. Ernie

2011 onions 2011 is a very good year lol

Thumbnail by eweed

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8740213

Hi Ernie, thanks. It's been in the pot for 3 years. Was in the ground before that. It's got good drainage... I'm thinking about pulling it out of the pot... at this point, I don't think I have anything to lose.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8740240

My onions got drowned Ernie... wettest spring we've had in years.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

August 6, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8740251

What is a Brugmansia?
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8740262

"Brugmansia is a genus of seven species of flowering plants in the family Solanaceae, native to subtropical regions of South America, along the Andes from Colombia to northern Chile, and also in southeastern Brazil. They are known as Angel's Trumpets, sharing that name with the closely related genus Datura. Brugmansia are long-lived, woody trees or bushes, with pendulous, not erect, flowers, that have no spines on their fruit. Datura species are herbaceous bushes with erect (not pendulous) flowers, and most have spines on their fruit."

"Brugmansia are large shrubs or small trees, reaching heights of 311 m, with tan, slightly rough bark.

The leaves are alternate, generally large, 1030 cm long and 418 cm broad, with an entire or coarsely toothed margin, and are covered with fine hairs.

The name Angel's Trumpet refers to the large, very dramatic, pendulous trumpet-shaped flowers, 1450 cm to 20 inches long and 1035 cm across at the wide end. They are white, yellow, pink, orange or red, and have a delicate, attractive scent with light, lemony overtones, most noticeable in early evening. Flowers may be single or double."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugmansia
roseycats
Dayton, OH

August 6, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8740449

I'm sorry Melissa, but I don't understand cm, or m I must be a lot older than you, because we were never taught meter's or centimeter's.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8740474

Rosy they are large beautiful plants that have bell shaped flowers, such as this one.

Thumbnail by kareoke

roseycats
Dayton, OH

August 6, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8740500

Thanks Kareoke, nice looking plant.

Melissa, I hope you'll beable to save your plant.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8740836

Thanks Roseycats, I hope so too.

Here's a brief article you might like. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/exotic/growing-brugmansias-in-containers.htm
TriFred
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 6, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8740839

You may have a fungal related problem. Check your trunk right at the soil level or slightly below to see if your trunk is starting to rot. If your plant has been girdled because of a fungal attack it will not be able to transport water and nutrients to the rest of the plant.

I just had this happen to a couple of my plants. If you catch it early enough you can cut off the good portion of the plant and root it.

You can also have fungal root rot where the trunk is OK but the roots have rotted. You can usually still save your plant if this is the problem.

Fred
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8741020

Fred, I'm afraid you might be right... the trunk didn't seem right at the base... the roots were fine though. I guess if it still dies I'll know. Where the trunk didn't seem right, I can't cut it out, it's right in the center of what was originally a Y

I took some cuttings from it. I will just be sad not to have any blooms this year.
TriFred
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8741413

Sorry to hear it is a fungus problem. Make sure you act quickly and cut the good wood several inches above the rotting area. I would soak the cuttings in a fungicide for a few minutes before rooting. I use the commercial fungicide Banrot, but a common fungicide like Captan, available at Lowes, will also work.

If you want to increase your chances of saving the cuttings, I would root them in long-fibered sphagnum moss. I use the moss instead of a potting mix for hard to root cuttings and cuttings under stress. There is less of a chance of the cuttings rotting in moss than in soil.

Make sure you dispose of the original pot with the infected plant, and always sanitize your knife/cutters afterwards.

My Mobisu plant was just hit with rot and I chopped it up in hopes of saving it. I potted the larger cuttings in moss and the smaller cuttings in soil. It has been a week and so far the cuttings are all alive. Mobisu is not an easy plant to root so the odds are stacked against me. If all the cuttings make it, the good news is that I will have about 100 Mobisu plants to make available to growers next year.

Fred
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8753877

My Brug has very injured leaves that look like Swiss cheese. A nice size flower pod got eaten Thursday night, too. I have checked and checked and do not find any worms or bugs. HELP! What can I do? Is there a safe bug spray that I can get and use before all the other little flower pods get eaten??

Sheri
TriFred
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8755992

Sheri,

Go out at night and I'm sure you will find the cause of your damage. There is a type if cutworm that lives just below the soil surface that typically comes out at night to feed. Other night feeders include slugs and snails. It is usually easy to identify it was a snail or slug because they typically leave a slime trail.

Good luck with your hunt to find the perpetrator.

Fred

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America