Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Roses: My favorite type of rose is...

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 78, Views: 704
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tusseemussee
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8740211

one that gives you different colors as it matures. Even with extreme heat, my roses are blooming well and not being shy as I thought they would be. Cannot say this about my tropical plants. Captured this group of three blooms on one rose bush at just the right time.

Tussee

Rose 'Love and Peace'

Thumbnail by tusseemussee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8741495

Tussie,
this is a absolutely wonderful display of color variation.This is a HT right ? do you grow other HT's as well ?

I don't have a lot of luck with HT .My HT's in pots never overwinter for me well so I try to look the other way when buying roses.Unfortunately not enough time to baby them.

Can't wait and see what new roses Palatine and Pickering is offering this fall ?
tusseemussee
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8742397

Hi Bridget, I'm pleased you like the photo of this HT. I'm a glutton for punishment as I have close to 300 HT's and approx. 25 shrubs. I push the zone issue all the time and so far have been very lucky... only lost a couple. I have never tried to over winter roses in pots, so cannot speak to that issue. However, I do pot up all new roses and grow them on for a period of time so I can totally manage their care and not overlook anyone. This works for me just as what you do for your roses works for you. Your rose photos have encouraged me to try other types and not be so restrictive.

I check in on Palatine almost daily to see what new roses have been posted for the new season. My list of "needs" is already unrealistic so some hard editing is ahead. :) I love their roses.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8790366

Which ones did you edit ?
It is so hard because they do have many beautiful ones.I had a list a mile long and then just ordered 6 yesterday.Probably regret it or feel quilty and order some more after all.
tusseemussee
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8790465

Bridget, I tossed my original list and ordered the bare minimum. Did the same thing last year and ended up disgusted with myself when I then tried to order more and they were sold out. I do need a few more David Austins but will probably order them from his web site.

Tussee
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8791278

Tusse,
have you checked Pickering from Canada since they have many many DA's and they're only $ 14.00 each.I haven't checked them out yet and almost afraid to .Did go in last spring just to peek :-)...my list got longer and longer !!!
tusseemussee
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8791425

You are the best enabler, Bridget, so now I must check out Pickering. I'm all for saving money as that means more to spend elsewhere in the garden. After so many years of buying plants I still end up spending a bit more than planned. I do have a very diversified one acre garden but at some point it would seem the space would be fully planted. That last sentence is almost a quote from Sweetheart when he sweetly tells me on a yearly basis my plant bills just arrived. LOL

Now - I'm off to Pickering!

Tussee
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8791515

I KNOW I KNOW ...would love to see pictures of your wonderful gardens again.300 HT's... sigh...I LOVE them as well but usually they don't make it since I keep them in pots and forget to water them on a regular basis.

Meant to tell you it was DonnaMack who mentioned the $ 14.00 price for DA roses.She figured out the exchange rate Canada/USA.
what have you found so far or should I ask bought :-)
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8791518

Here are the shippiong charges to U.S.A.
Ground Service

3-4 plants
$18.00
5-6 plants
$21.00
7-9 plants
$23.00
10-14 plants
$25.00
15-19 plants
$31.00
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8791553

The PLANTS were $14.00. The exchange rate was factored in - that was the price. For two foot bareroots that bloomed two months later. I love the Antique Rose Emporium, but shipping for 3-4 roses is several times what Pickering is, and their roses are now $18.95. They are shipped in pots, so you are paying to ship soil. I paid more than $31 for shipping three roses from ARE, which would get you 19 from Pickering. . Their roses are comparable in size and quality (lovely!) to Pickering, but I could no longer afford to pay $56.85 for three roses, and then that shipping cost.

Donna
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8792533

Donna,
I know what you mean about the high shipping charges.That's why I steered away from them in the last few years.
Pickering roses right now are $16.00,at least the ones I checked.Have you been "good" and resisted to order for 2012 ?
I haven't yet either from Pickering but have from Palatine.
tusseemussee
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8792573

Yikes, Donna. Why would anyone choose to pay so much more on shipping from ARE when Pickering is comparable in size and quality for so much less?

Bridget, my 300 roses are nothing compared to Zuzu's collection. If I remember correctly, and it has been awhile, she has over a thousand. What I find neat about her and all those roses, is the fact she remembers all the names along with the known history. I miss her imput as I know of no one else who can equal her rose knowledge. For some reason I am unable to access Pickering's shopping cart as I did find 7 DA's I would like to buy. Very strange. Makes me wonder if Sweetheart somehow blocked my ability to order more roses. LOL. Truly sorry to learn your husband is not doing well, but with time, hopefully he will completely recover. If a smaller home with less maintenance is necessary, I'm sure you will find one that meets your needs and relieves him from the work and stress of renovation. As far as taking your large roses with you should you decide to move, cut them way back and call in the family!

Tussee
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8792903

Tussee,

Ah, because they used to be $15.00. And the shipping used to be less. And boy is it easy to plant a containerized rose!!!!!

And like supporters of Old House Gardens, I was trying to purchase from companies that had wonderful things and wouldn't compromise (I no longer order from OHG either - very high quality but just too pricey - except that their peonies are bargains). So I stopped ordering from ARE about four years ago and switched to Pickering. And some people show their loyalty to Vintage by paying for bands more than what Pickering charges for a much more mature rose. Many things go into the choices. But for me, finally it was the bucks, and since I liked both companies, the choice was easy.

As for this year's choices, I'm looking for a Rose like Tess of the D'Ubervilles that is less rampant. Reds are where Austin rocks, so I'm having great difficulty in deciding between L.D. Braithewaite, William Shakespeare 2000, Sophie's Rose and The Dark Lady. Tess is fantastic because, amongst other things - the red stays a true red. I would rather not have a rose that fades to purple or a dull pink (which many do). If a wanted a red purple rose I'd bite the bullet and order Charles de Gaulle.
tusseemussee
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8793057

Donna, Vintage got me years ago and I never ordered from them again. I didn't know what I was ordering were bands. When they came I was shocked as I had paid the same price for new starts that I was paying for more mature plants. I ordered 9 from them and not one lived. Heck, 3 of them died before winter arrived. I still smart from the experience. Thanks for the tips on DA's. I tried Pickering again and this time the shopping cart worked. I'll go back and make some decisions later today.

Tussee
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8793274

Tussee, I'm with you on Vintage.

There have been many defenders of Vintage on this forum in the past, and I could never figure out why. I always assumed, frankly, that they had some kind of relationship with the owners or were the kinds of buyers (and they are around) who are happy to buy lots of bands, not care for them all that well and see what comes out. Go into Garden Watchdog. They have 54 positives to 4 neutrals and 4 negatives. And the media loves them - I've seen stories.

I think that many of the purchasers have never shopped around - or bought the press. I went on their website years ago. People always talk about the variety. I think their prices are absurd. When I order roses from Pickering I know in June that what I bought in April will bloom. I can't imagine paying those prices and waiting 2-3 years to see them bloom - if they survive. And did you see their illustration of a gallon, which is the only other size they sell. It has one cane - Pickering never ships less than three, and I've gotten five.

Go figure.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8794016

Donna,

I have all the Austins reds you named except Sophie Rose. L.D. Braithewaite gets big like Tess, William Shakespeare 2000 is more deep pink than red but smells heavenly and the Dark Lady had actually performed better than expected. I had read that it was slow to get started but I have found that it bloomed well first year. I love all of them but if you're looking for a tame red I would go with Dark Lady. Just my $.02.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8794143

Oh, thank you bookreader. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for! And from someone in a nearby zone. I had seen The Dark Lady at the Chicago Botanic Garden and was favorable impressed but no one ever writes about it. TDL will be my choice.

I am very grateful to you.

Donna
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8794498

You're welcome and if you need a good orange try colorific. I am overwhelmed by the performance and color.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8797719

Donna, for what it's worth, my Sophy's Roses do fade in the hot sun. Not to a pink-pink, but to a deep pink with bluish overtones. It does this (see below). My Tess does not do that. This only happens in hot sun. Don't know if you would get the same effect up north...

Thumbnail by terri_emory

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8797759

Ah, that's what I had read. Wow, Tess doesn't fade in the south? Here it stays a really rich red color. I wish I had room for her. It's great getting all of this input. It makes me far more confident about making choices.

Thank you.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2011 5:29 AM
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8797851

It looks kind of cool with blue salvias and nepetas, though. And my Tess does fade very slightly. One can tell and newer bloom from an older bloom. But still in the red family. Not at all like Sophy.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8798925

bookreader,
thanks for your advice on the red roses.Will add more reds next year whereever we might be since my gardens consist mostly of pinks and white.
GREAT list.Do you personally grow all of these ?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8798950

Hey!

If you look further up the thread, you'll see that Bookreader did identify the ones personally grown: Tess, The Dark Lady, L.D. Braithwaite and William Shakespeare 2000. Terri grows Sophie's Rose and Tess. I grow Tess. Based on color fastness and size I am going to add The Dark Lady, which I have actually seen and which Bookreader indicates stays red. Do note that Benjamin Britten has a distinct orange cast. I saw it in the Chicago Botanic Garden in full bloom, and it would clash with red roses, although it was very healthy. I also saw The Dark Lady, and it was smashing. Very healthy and red, and looking far better than most of the roses around it. The Chicago Botanic Garden does not take very good care of its roses. Amongst other things no one bothers to deadhead them. So it is a useful place to scout out roses that can be neglected. Because with care they would be phenomenal.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8798972

I also grow Benjamin Britten and it does have an orangy cast but I do love the blooms I have it planted with purple delphinium and black eyed Susan. I put in Munstead Wood this year and I LOVE the burgundy red color and the performance has been outstanding.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8799008

Oh, gosh! Someone with Munstead Wood! I've been wanting that rose, but was wondering about the color. Does it fade much? Actually, I was thinking that might be a good match for Sophy and her blueing. I've been kind of obsessing about Munstead Wood for a bit. I don't know why...

I have climbing Benjamin Britten and I love the orangy color (I think the orange comes out a bit more here in the Texas sun--which seems to pick up on the hot color casts a bit more than up north IMO). It is in a rose bed w/out much else for the moment. By the way, it is doing well this extreme summer. Anyway, thanks for mentioning the black eyed Susans. They are one of my favorites and now I have a bed in which to feature them!
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8801118

I have two Dick Clark roses I bought this year. That plant is awesome. It changes colors too and blooms continuously. I have been impressed that it never has blackspot. I hope it stays that way.

Easy Does It starts out orange for me and gradually gets more pink tones. It's my absolute favorite.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8801662

I thought BB was very beautiful. I also thought that it looked incredibly healthy. That's why I love to visit botanic gardens that abuse their roses. I remember the roses that thrived, BB, The Dark Lady, out there is Chicago's brutal summer and looking great.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8801852

I have to agree on Dick Clark. I love the color change and the blooms have been non stop. Mine starts as a yellow red and then fades to a white and deep pink.
My Easy Does It has not bloomed as much as I hoped I may need to move the location and see what happens.
As for Munstead Wood it does seem to hold the color.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8801934

I also love roses with really large flowers on which the buds are a different color, that add a great scent. I resisted Constance Spry, David Austin's first rose, for years because it didn't rebloom, but finally caved three years ago.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8801937

I was also concerned about it's huge size, but I got over it!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

tusseemussee
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8802094

Donna, what a beautiful garden scene and your oh so happy Constance Spry is calling to me. Due to limited space in the garden, however, I would have to remove several shrubs to fit her in. I've been watching a couple that are not performing as well as they should, so maybe it's time to do some shovel pruning. This has been a very good thread and I've enjoyed learning about roses I do not grow. Thanks everyone!

Tussee
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8802130

I don't want one unless it reblooms. I bet it's not that nice to look at for long. Do the blooms last a week?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8802198

It blooms over a six week period, and in my experience the blooms last more than one week each. And the plant itself is beautiful in form and in leaf. My rule for myself is that a plant should look lovely without flowers. There are so many plants that bloom beautifully for a few weeks and are then ugly for the rest of the year. I actually replaced two doublefile viburnums. I learned, belatedly, that they are not hardy in my climate. They left a big hole. After blooming, Constance Spry looks like a beautiful shrub.

Many roses that bloom repeatedly are truly ugly plants. Some, like Sea Foam, are always lovely - talk about rebloom.

And many plants only bloom for a limited period - lilacs are an example. So I make sure that my lilacs have the leaves I prefer - bluish, heart shaped and disease resistant. It was one of the last roses that I put in, because I didn't want once bloomers. This rose is so gorgeous it makes me gasp when it blooms. And it's extremely disease resistant. Really, have you ever seen flowers like this? It's beauty is breathtaking. And I have it next to Zephirine Drouhin, which is another big rose that blooms repeatedly, and nearby is Sea Foam, which blooms, literally, continuously.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8802206

Tussee, if a shrub replacement is what you are looking for, I must say I found it ideal. If you really want to be happy, get it from Pickering. You are looking at a 3 year old rose!

Donna
tusseemussee
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8802433

I've placed an order with Pickering but I need to do another if they have 'Evelyn'. I believe I saw it there then forgot to order it. Evelyn is the name of the lady who helps me with my home and she loves roses. I'm off now to buy a few more roses from Pickering.

Tussee
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8802443

Evelyn smells soooooo good. I got it for my mom and she loves it. Is there a rose that looks like Constance Spry but reblooms? I love foliage, but I like roses that bloom from Spring to frost. I love the way it looks, but wouldn't be great if it bloomed more?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8802497

No, there is not another rose like CS. That's why I ordered it. If I could have ordered something like it that rebloomed I would have done so. I'm happy with it. If it bloomed more, it would much less spectacular. I understand that reblooming roses and once blooming roses actually put out a fairly similar number of flowers, in many cases. Once bloomers put all the roses in the season out in 6-8 weeks. There are lots of pink Austins with big flowers. And a lot of those "rebloomers" really put out a spring and fall flush, with very little in between. A lot of them are described as having sparse or scattered bloom in between. For rebloom but less stature and scent, I have Morden Blush and Gruss an Aachen, and roses like Marchesa Boccella, which reblooms throughout the year in small clusters of flowers. But those are all much smaller roses. I like to have some larger roses with presence and drama.

The thing that sold me on it is that it is spectacular. And frankly, I have many rebloomers. And I have to treat some of them for blackspot. And deadhead them. I surround CS it with pink and purple nepeta and several kinds of white salvia, which all bloom spring to frost. And get my color that way. And all it needs after bloom is one deadhead and some compost.

And it is very different. There are so many pink Austins it's hard to tell them apart. It's stood the test of time, and doesn't look like anything else. I found it irresistible. Something for everyone.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8802511

Cinco de Mayo, Easy Does It, and Dick Clark bloom constantly and are my current favorites. I do want some roses that get huge though for the back yard. Your Constance Spry is so beautiful. I bet it smells good. The blooms look like Peony blooms almost. I might have to give one a spot in my garden next year.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8802534

I grow clemtis through my once bloomers and shrubs like spirea. I have Blaze (old one once bloomer) and I have 3 different clems growing through the monster.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8802535

Big? Reblooming? Incredibly scented? It gets a little blackspot but blooms anyway (rare in roses) and it doesn't get blackspot if you keep it evenly watered. Oh, and thornless. The rose I grow next to CS. Not as full - only semi double - but a nice foil: Zephirine Drouhin.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8802540

It isn't the most subtle rose in the world, but I really like it.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8802543

It hangs out with my girl CS

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8802547

Wow. That one is a beauty. I don't like subtle roses. LOL.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8802566

Let me tempt you with more pics. I love this rose. It's really old - from 1868. It's still popular.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8802572

It's a real pop in the garden.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8802658

I like how the leaves have pink on the veins too.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8802687

My Mary rose is anything but subtle. I pegged it last year and it is ready to be pegged again this year. Even pegged it is 4 ft.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8803188

I LOVE Mary Rose! I didn't know it could be pegged. I was going to peg the two roses I mentioned, but the branches flopped (quite gracefully) downward and formed fountains, so they did the work for me.

Some of the really old Austins are fantastic.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8803374

Please tell me what "pegged" roses are. I've never heard that before.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8803458

Sure.

As I'm sure you know, when most roses grow the stems grow straight up. So what do you get? One flower at the end of each stem. The scientific term is apical dominance. Highest spot on a stem gets the flower. Mind you, the guy at Forest Farm explained the concept to me and I've been happily throwing around the term for years because it makes it look like I know more than I do.

Anyway, you can fool the plant into thinking it has many "tops" by pulling it sideways. That the concept behind getting climbing roses to produce lots of growth.

Being a lazy gardener I like to choose plants on which the canes fall over by themselves, like the ones I showed. But if you have a rose that won't cooperate, you can manually bend the stem over, when it's long enough, and use something that looks like a big staple to press it into the ground around the main plant. It will respond by blooming at multiple points down the stem. So instead of one flower, you might get ten!

Make sense?

Donna
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8803504

Thanks for the info!
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8803565

I take the long flexible branches and cross them over the plant and attach them to the other side. It is almost like an upsude down u. When you cross the branches over each other you end up with a round plant rather than a fountain.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8803601

Oh, bookreader, I like that idea!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 11, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8804298

When you peg a rose does it usually take root where it touches the ground?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8804710

I thought it did. Am I wrong?

porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 12, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8804718

I dunno, I was asking you...
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8804879

LOL! I believe the answer is yes.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8804986

I love Mary Rose as well, also Heritage. I also have Rose-Marie, daughter of Heritage. Equally as good but white. Just in case you all need a little enabling in the white catagory =D!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8805098

I have coveted Rose-Marie for some time. I have Heritage, and one of the wonderful things about it is the lack of thorns. Enabling in the white category. Hum... I have Madame Hardy, Sea Foam (2), Heidesommer (2) and Glamis Castle. I think Rose-Marie and Heritage would make a rocking hedge!
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8805143

I have a great many roses that are from Vintage. Their roses usually spend some months in varying sizes of pots...first a gallon, then a 2 or a 5..then they are planted in the ground. Their prices when I got them, were not as high as they are now, that is for darn sure. I have never lost a rose after it is planted in the ground but I have lost a number of them when they are at the one gallon stage...they have always been quick to replace them when they did fail...it is one of the things I love about them, their service. I am not related to them or have a business relationship with them, I just like their roses and it is true they have an awesome selection.
I also have a number of roses from ARE and defunct, Ashdown...also the dearly departed Uncommon Rose.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8805218

And soon be be dearly departed (summer 2012) Vintage Gardens.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8805697

No! really? that is so sad!
Just read about it on their web site...Nuts!

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 5:55 PM
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8806185

I you're looking for a hedge go for Queen of Sweden. It the perfect upright rose. I can't believe the huge blooms and no bending stems.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8806345

Bookreader,
I was looking at Queen of Sweden a while back but couldn't get any input from anyone. Thank you!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8806531

Just placed an order w/Vintage and looking to place another. I'll miss them, but they have to take care of business just like the rest of us =(. I didn't plan on ordering soooo much. But I'm clearing out my wish list--just in case. Come on rain! I need a good spring and summer next year!
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8807140

Here is Munstead Wood. I just put it in this spring and it has bloomed all summer. I have about 5 more buds right now

This message was edited Sep 13, 2011 6:04 PM

Thumbnail by bookreader451

bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8807143

And another (ignore the yucky weeds I just pulled and left on the grass!)

Thumbnail by bookreader451

melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8807223

What did you order Teri?
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8807976

Melva, Cymbaline, Charmian, Lordly Oberon, Red Coat, and Jaquenetta in this last order.
This will be my birthday present from DH. He already bought me a used stock trailer, but decided to add this order. All from my "Austin with list" and all from the pre-PBR varieties that David Austin is no longer recommending. I've been wanting these for a while =)!

Bookreader, thanks for the Munstead Wood photos and evaluation. I really do want that one but will order it for spring delivery. I've got these bands coming and my beds look awful! The bands will live in the greenhouse 'till spring as I'm just going to have to really re-work the beds all fall and winter. The weeds have gotten very bad and the soil is so parched from this weather. I'm going to need a couple of good soaking rains before I really want to work it. Ah well! A good excuse to be outside this winter =D! Munstead might look kind of cool w/Sophy...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8808266

Does anyone here buy from Heirloom Roses? They are having a sale right now - 25% off.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8808655

Heirloom sends twigs,or at least they did for me, dosen't matter if they are having a sale or not. I won't order from them.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8809783

I buy most of my roses from them as they are own root roses and those for some reason do better for me here in PNW. Yes they are small but grow quickly to expected size within one season. Just put in about a dozen new ones this summer in my new house. I have already have three bloom. Smaller holes to dig too!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2011
10:56 PM

Post #8811829

I ordered two with the last sale this summer, 50% off, my Mom got three and they all looked real good. I wasn't sure what I would get but we were both happy. All 5 have new growth and buds right now. Maybe the time of year made the difference?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 17, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8812088

Awww, anything thrives for you in California!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8812181

I received 3 two foot own root bareroots from Pickering which I installed in the third week of April, experienced their first bloom in June, are they are now over 5 feet tall and are still blooming. Two of the roses cost $14, the other $16, and shipping for 3-4 plants is $18.00I I just think the value that you get is so much better than a Heirloom or Vintage roses can provide. And the selection! They have thousands of roses. I actually was able to order a Harkness climber I had never heard of.

They are the same size as Antique Rose Emporium's (two gallon containers) but they are cheaper (ARE has gone up to $18.95) and because they are containerized, the shipping is high.

Lastly, I've never lost a Pickering Rose and our 5a climate is horrible. That's why I order from them and will from now on.

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8838081

Heirloom roses I bought before were also VERY small in comparrison andnever made it even with TLC .
terri,
Happy belated Birthday ,
My pickering order has been in and I ordered several DA's as well.Gosh baby is awake...got to come back to finish this post.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8838129

"Gosh baby is awake" LOL!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8838470

I just received a catalog from Witherspoon Rose Culture. Their prices are a bit high and I think that the shipping to CA would be prohibitive, since they would not list the shipping fees in the catalog. ("Contact us.") Their prices are $18.99-$23.99 bare root and $22.99-$29.99 potted. I suppose that wouldn't be too bad, except for the shipping if they had one I really could not get locally or anywhere else by mail order.

Does anyone have experience with them?
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8843169

Eglantyne, thanks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America