Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; How to Make a Planter From an Old Chair: Very Nice

Communities > Forums > Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; How to Make a Planter From an Old Chair
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; How to Make a Planter From an Old ChairReplies: 8, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rampbrat
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8740289

Great project and adorable model. Now I'll have to start looking for an old chair!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

August 6, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8740332

I was going to comment on the model too, is she your daughter?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8740730

My niece. She's home from college and will be headed back shortly.
She loved being the model and we've got several groups of images for a few other Frugal Gardener projects ready to go.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

August 6, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8740790

Tell her we enjoyed her modeling in the article !
pRenee
Rolling Meadows, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8744243

Loved the idea and vision of the chair. The how-to steps were clear. I loved the tip on putting a newly established pot in filtered sunlight before becoming established. And I never know quite when to put in the soil crystals. I think now I'll start making the rounds on trash day! Thank-you

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8744257

The crystals work best if you hydrate them first. That way, you know exactly how much you're adding. That is one lesson I learned the hard way...when I first started using them years ago, I'd use too much...and sprinkle them in dry. When they plumped, they'd sometimes push the plant out of the pot. I've found you use fewer crystals if you place them right in the root zone too.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2011
11:34 PM

Post #8745842

Good modeling by your neice.. else your write-up would have been a bit bland! :) Nice write-up. Simple way to use a rusted chair..

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8746106

Thanks Dinu!
Yes, without my model, the article wouldn't have been nearly so fun. And we had a fun time doing it together. She's never done much gardening so it was even better to show her how. She's even brought friends by to show off 'her' chair. It's a shame she can't take it with her, but she's going to college in California and the logistics of getting it out there are pretty formidable.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #8958372

Great idea, both the chair recycle and teaching your niece some container gardening tips while modeling, lol.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; How to Make a Planter From an Old Chair Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clever re-use! podster 2 Aug 6, 2011 1:34 PM
Love the shabby chic chair moonrose777 1 Aug 8, 2011 5:33 AM
Ideas needed! mayabeez 3 Aug 22, 2011 10:56 AM
This article is great! orangegrovegirl 3 Sep 24, 2012 5:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America