Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Gingers: Costus hybrid Phoenix

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 0, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 6, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8740806

This is actually an old hybrid of mine that was created the same summer as C. hyb 'Green Mountain.' It isn't as widely grown or as well known as GM but is now is the US, Panama, Thailand, and Australia and is making the rounds. Its my favorite and has proven hardy in USDA zone 8. Unlike one of its hardy parents (C. sp aff comosus (barbatus)) it will bloom in Zone 8. It will start blooming in a 6" pot, but can grow to 4 feet and make impressive clumps in the tropics. I did not realize til this summer that it can also make basal blooms when established ( in the tropics at least). It was originallly distributed as Tim Chapman (no, didn't name it after myself!!) by Eden Farms/ Plant group, and later as comosus x productus hybrid. I finally named it after I got some plants back. I thought it was lost forever as I forgot I'd given a few cuttings away. The flame color bracts and "rebirth" is the reason for 'Phoenix.' Catchy for me at least :)

Tim Chapman

Thumbnail by TimChapman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America