Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 6, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8740806

This is actually an old hybrid of mine that was created the same summer as C. hyb 'Green Mountain.' It isn't as widely grown or as well known as GM but is now is the US, Panama, Thailand, and Australia and is making the rounds. Its my favorite and has proven hardy in USDA zone 8. Unlike one of its hardy parents (C. sp aff comosus (barbatus)) it will bloom in Zone 8. It will start blooming in a 6" pot, but can grow to 4 feet and make impressive clumps in the tropics. I did not realize til this summer that it can also make basal blooms when established ( in the tropics at least). It was originallly distributed as Tim Chapman (no, didn't name it after myself!!) by Eden Farms/ Plant group, and later as comosus x productus hybrid. I finally named it after I got some plants back. I thought it was lost forever as I forgot I'd given a few cuttings away. The flame color bracts and "rebirth" is the reason for 'Phoenix.' Catchy for me at least :)

Tim Chapman

Thumbnail by TimChapman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropicals & Tender Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America