Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

August 6, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8740971

I really like this curcuma. It is a smaller plant, maybe 2 ft max and a summer bloomer. The color of the bract is just amazing and the day flowers are such a wonderful contrast. I think it's a Tom Wood hyb. but not sure. I dont know if it was ever in TC but if not it should have been.

Thumbnail by TejasTropicals
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 8, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8745152

I haven't grown this yet, but it is in TC and seems to one of 5 or so new ones that have PPAF status (from Tom Wood) I'm curious which red bract species is used in this hybrid.

Tim Chapman
TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

August 8, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8745370

I havent seen it at the usual TC labs/nurseries for sale. This is one of the few that didnt get published before he filed? It's really quite nice.
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 8, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8745649

Don't know when the patent was applied for. There are a few others that I assume were filed at the same time?? They don't show up on any searches yet. The garnet is pretty though. Glad to see some all reds showing up. If you've seen the Thai curcuma book, there is a beautiful red hybrid that was a C petiolata(cordata) cross with a red species. I had the red one for a short while but lost it. The Thai hybrid was never released as far as I know. There is another red one coming out, one parent is pretty obvious but can't tell where the red is coming from (rubrobractea?, the red aurantiacas? ?? ).

Tim Chapman

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America