-
AuthorContent
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8741098

Help! Our pond pump (Leader Provort) just died, and we'd like recommendations on which replacement pump brand to purchase. An 18-inch wide waterfall drops into a 30-foot stream (3 shallow steps in the stream) down to a 1,200-gallon pond. The submersible pump circulated the water uphill 30 feet back to the waterfall through a 3-inch pipe. Our old pump was rated at 3,300 gph and lasted 4 years, 2 years longer than the warranty. Prior to that, we went through 5 pumps in 4 years because of the bad advice we received from our installer (who's now out of business). Has anyone with a similar pond set-up had great success from a specific brand and model pump?
DavEdsel
Amherst, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8741121

Hello.

We have had a pond of some type in our back yard since we moved in in March 1988. Started with a whiskey barrel and kept upgrading until now we have a 6500 gallon pond that is 3 feet deep, 15 feet wide and 20 feet long with a 5 foot high waterfall. I have always had great success with Pondmaster pumps. We are currently running a Pondmaster 6100 on the pond and are very happy with that.

Most on-line and local retailers sell Pondmaster equipment. Here is a link to one source that shows a description of the pump we are running: http://www.aquaticponds.com/Pondmaster-6100-HY-Drive-Pump--6100-GPH_p_1131.html
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8741906

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to check that brand out today and see if I can find a local retailer. Hopefully we'll be up and running within a day or two.
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8743524

I couldn't find a local retailer, but I landed a great deal online on a Pondmaster 4000 pump. I checked with 2 pond experts in our area, and they agreed with you that the Pondmaster line of pumps are less expensive to purchase, have longer warranties (mine came with a 3-yr.), cost less per day to operate, and last longer than similar pumps on the market. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
DavEdsel
Amherst, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8743536

I'm glad I could help and you got a new filter.

Post a picture of your pond when you get a chance.

Here is the beautiful pond my wife, son and a dear friend installed in our back yard in October 2010...

Thumbnail by DavEdsel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8744700

for what it's worth, we have three two lagunas and one aquasurge pumps. Max flow 750gph, Max Flo 2900 gph, and more recently a 5100 gphAquaSurge. the 5100 is in the skimmer, the 2900 at the bottom of the 4' end pumping up about 4' to a pressure filter and 55w UV (no shade what so ever on my pond.) We have had no trouble with any of them. We have a few spares as we kept increasing pump size to get around the head developed in climbing 4' and going through the filter and UV. We also are changing out our 1 1/4" for 1 1/2" non corrugated pipe to reduce friction. Wish we could go 3" but our equipment wouldn't take it I don't think.
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8790984

The pump is working very well. The company website, the dealer website, and the outside of the box all indicated a 3-year warranty, but the actually paperwork inside the box said 2 years. First I called the dealer and asked for an explanation of the discrepancy. They were unaware of the change in the warranty period. Then I contacted the manufacturer, and was told that they changed the warranties on several of their pumps, and it was the dealer's responsibility to inform me. When I pointed out that the box clearly showed a photo of the pump and listed a description of its characteristics and advantages (including a 3-year warranty), they told me to keep the receipt, and they would honor the 3-year warranty. A minor hassle, but I hope the pump actually lasts longer than 3 years so I won't have to test their verbal promise.

I'll post a photo of the pond soon. Again, thanks for all the help I received.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8791598

We started out with the Pondmaster pumps and have gone to the EasyPro pumps. However, I do still have Pondmaster pumps running after 6+ years. I think one of the smaller Pondmaster pumps DH said was at least 7 years old.

My understanding of the warranties is that is the minimum length of time your pumps should run. They wouldn't warrant it otherwise.

I would be curious as to the rationale for the discrepancy though.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8791604

It is interesting to see that your falls cause as much agitation as mine. I was concerned that it might not agree with the fish, but I see them cavorting under and behind the falls frequently. I also note you have some string algae to the left. I was surprised to find the same thing on the flat portions of our falls (four drops with three flat portions). I added algaway 5.4 to try to get rid of it before winter set in. Although I suppose the colder temps will do it in all by itself. My fish have started to disappear. Don't know if it is the cold (water temp is running 56F) or reaction to the change in th surface due to the killed algae. Will certainly put a kink in my plans to dose the little beasties.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8791880

Mary

that picture was taken back in June. This picture was taken on August 12th. My husband has a small wire brush that he has duck taped to a pole that he uses to remove the string algae from the falls. We also use the pondzyme which helps with the string algae.

The guy that services our furnace found some that takes care of the algae - I cannot remember what the name of it was. I will find out in the spring, because we promised to give him some of our specialty waterlilies.

The fish love the waterfalls and the agitation from the waterfalls. They play in the waterfalls.

The fish in the picture, pulls himself over the ledge into the cubby of the waterfall every time we have the water level a bit higher than normal.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8791882

what a hoot. I swear I have seen some of our fish up out of the water a bit behind the falls. when we added water to the tub we had the fish quarantined in, they quickly moved over to be under the water as it was dumped in. What is your water temp now?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8791933

Earlier this week, our water temps were running low 70's. On Monday, it was 71. Today, our air temps were in the low 90's, so I am sure the water temps are up some. I should probably put the thermometer in and check again.

What are your water temps?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8791962

Most of the summer, my water temps are low 90's...but that's because our air stays in the mid to high 90's. It holds out in the 80's for about a month, but then the soil just no longer can stay cool enough to keep the water cool...sand heats up pretty quickly, which is pretty much all you'll find around Central Florida.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8792018

MerryMary - do you run bubblers during the summer? We have a bubbler we use when the water temps are in the 80's and higher.

The bubbler also comes in handy when we go out of town. We turn that on and turn off the main pump - that way if anything happens while we are away, the pond isn't emptied, the fish aren't lost, nor are the pumps.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8792041

I run 2 bubblers in the main pond, and 1 in each small pond. I am not brave enough to shut down the pumps and filters while gone, they provide a lot of water movement, as well as oxygen (and I have a very heavy load of fish, some of which are 24 inches) I may try it in one of the smaller ponds, just to see how it works out...I DO always worry about a pond drain while I'm gone (becuase it's happened overnight before, while I slept!)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8792052

MerryMary

We have had the pond drain while we have been sleeping too. This is why we turn off the main pump and run the bubbler while we are gone. The other filters are not on the bottom of the pond - but up from the bottom by about a foot and we leave those pumps running. That way, if there are any problems while we are gone we will have about a foot of water in the bottom of the pond and the bubbler will keep that water aerated. We would probably lose the smaller pumps, but the larger pump to the main falls would be intact. We too are maxed out with our fish load.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8792197

My pond is running 56 in the morning maybe 62 in the afternoon if we get any sun. Rainy constantly lately. Ambient temp is 46 in the AM.

How does the pond pump itself out?
DavEdsel
Amherst, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8792360

We've woken up to a nearly empty pond with a squealing pump before, too. I think somehow one of the rocks shifts and re-directs the water out. It has not happened with our new pond, though.

One thing we just did was to get all new 1.5 inch hose instead of the 1 inch hose we were using That extra half-inch made an amazingly big difference in the water flow. Guess size does matter in some things. LOL ☺
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8792428

Mary

sometimes it just happens. We have had a hose blow off before, which is how we ended up with losing half the pond. Luckily we were home and it was caught before it got any worse.

Dave - you are absolutlely correct - size does matter. With the EasyPro pump, we need 2 inch hose. We couldn't get over the difference in our flow either.

I do think we have gotten off topic. Perhaps we should start a thread pertaining to how one deals with this type of issue with their pond. I have to run and get ready for brunch with my daughter as she is in town this weekend.

Carolyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America