Photo by Melody

Agastaches and Salvias: Favorite flavors?

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 13, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8741505

I love the fragrance of the foliage as I like to garden by the senses. I see, touch, smell and taste.

Three favorites of mine are pineapple sage, anise hyssop and this year I added rootbeer agastache.

I was wondering if anyone else here shares this affliction?

When sampling the rootbeer agastache leaves, they taste minty rather than rootbeer. When smelled, they make your tastebuds drool for a tall frosty mug.

I have used the pineapple sage and anise hyssop leaves for flavoring.

Wondering if anyone else uses the leaves of any of these?

I love that the hummingbirds like to share the pleasure of these blooms also. That appeals to the eye as do the blooms.

What other flavors are out there? I'm sure I'm missing something ~ lol

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 7, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8741728

my apricot sprite all died so I am not loving these plants right now. The ruprestris (sp?) wilts frequently. I guess planting last fall didn't give them enough time to face this heat. Not sure I will plant any of them again.
C
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8742502

In my experience, the A rupestris has large leaves and does wilt more quickly.

This one has narrow leaves and when in need of moisture, I notice it in the flowers first, not the foliage.

The wispy foliage in the background is this Agastache.

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 7, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8742597

This is the plant I have and its leaves are very wispy.
C

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/11825/
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8742667

That is very pretty and from their description should do better than that for you.

My brain is half baked, I apologize but this is the one I was thinking of that I have... it has larger leaves.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/134/
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 7, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8742856

I am just bawfled at why both types failed. They were planted last fall and came up looking great this spring. The apricot sprites are all completely dead. I know its a bad summer but I really expected them to do better in the heat and drought. Hard to say what happened in this crazy year. I might try some in another bed to see if I get better results.
C
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8743095

In many plants this year I have found the smaller leaved do survive the drought much better.

I wonder if the Agastaches are affected by the type of soil wilts that tomatoes, beans, etc. are killed by.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8743477

After reading some of your comments on spider mites, I wonder if that was what killed your plants. I've never had to deal with them on the scale you have but have read enough to make me think they can be devastating to plant life.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 8, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8743701

I didn't see any and the plants died off rather quickly. This year anything is possible.
C

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8743735

Both my Tutti Fruitties up and died, as did my Navajo sunset. Golden Jubilee is huge, Apricote sprite is doing well, as is a white one I have that gets big but the name escapes me now. There was no evidence of spider mites at all on either the TF or NSunset. But it was after an extreme run of hot weather.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 8, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8744111

Not a good year to evaluate plants. I won't make any judgements about hardiness from this summer.
C
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

August 12, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8752943

As to the question about scents, Agastache, Monarda, Monardella, and Hedeoma species can have three chemotypes: Lemon (citral); Anise, licorice, root beer (estragole); and minty (menthone, piperitone). The races are usually just dominant in these odors, with the others also present in varying amounts.

For instance Agastache mexicana `Toronjil Morado' has huge pink flowers and a mostly lemon scent, with just enough estragole to enhance the lemony scent. This particular selection is the most subtropical form, and was crossed with others to create `Pink Lemonade (A. mex. x barberi); Tutti Frutti )A. barberi x mexicana); and Pink Panther (A. mex. x coccinea). The first two have a minty note in addition to the lemon and anise components.

Agastaches really need cool nights to withstand the current heat wave. High humidity means hot nights, and this will kill off most of these Agastaches.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 12, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8752986

Well hot nights is what I got! We don't really have any humidity here but the temps at night have been in the mid 80's and that is pretty high as lows go.
C
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8752988

That you for that information on the varied scents. I find them delightful and am amazed that I am keeping this plant alive.

NewtonsThirdLaw ~ mine is in a large pot and receives a decent amount of shade from other plants.
I keep it moist and our temps are in the mid 80s at night and days over 100 up to 109.
Its' 'keeping' sounds totally out of character for these plants but I'm grateful it is still among the living.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America