Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes: Brandywine?

Communities > Forums > Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of TomatoesReplies: 6, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 7, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8741871

I bet that picture introducing this article is of a brandywine;
I have raised them year after year and the biggest ones on the bottom - the first ones to set - looks like that - even on the biggest, rankest, healthest vines.

Then later in the season the upper ones, but older but about just as big are fine?????
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8744194

Hi Liquidambar2,

I'm not sure if it's a brandywine or not. I'm also not sure what causes certain fruit to be affected while others appear fine.

Thanks for reading my article.

TC
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 13, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8754612

Why thank you for writing it!
I enjoyed reading it.
It was a good article.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8804797

Have you tried a Kentucky Beefsteak (yellow) heirloom yet? Mmmmm mmmm good!!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 13, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8807179

No I have not, but I have tried beef steak tomatoes though. Could this be the same thing?

I also tried ox heart and steak sandwich - steak sandwich was great.

But in the end of trying a whole lot of them of different varieties - I went back to the brandywine.

But that does not mean that I wouldn't try a new variety. I will look around for the Kentucky Beefsteak and see how it is.

I also raise a lot of Rutgers for a good basic - long producing tomato to eat and produce enough to make tomato juice. I am satisfied with it too. Although the blight was close behind as I picked them off the from the bottom to the top this year.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9415095

My but I'm lax with replying!

Sorry about that LB2!

Try 'Hillbilly' this year!

TC
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

February 11, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9415984

Not late at all --- Another two weeks and I will be starting my tomatoes. HillyBilly -- I have heard of that. Isn't it a mixed color like Mr. Stripes?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
good reading! onewish1 12 Sep 7, 2009 3:59 PM
The N. E. for June, July and August? carrielamont 6 Sep 6, 2009 6:08 PM
Thanks for the article, but... Igrowinpa 15 Sep 8, 2009 2:16 PM
I suspected... Sundownr 1 Sep 4, 2009 12:54 PM
Blight Delaware 1 Sep 7, 2009 10:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America