CLOSED: 2nd Annual FALL Houseplants/Tropicals Swap - Page 3

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's your chance to update us with progress reports about the plants you received in our Spring Houseplants/Tropical swap, chat away, and express interest in joining us again in the Fall if you haven't already done so. The last day to sign up is Wednesday, August 31st, and you will receive your Buddy's name in a D-mail shortly afterwards. Please strive to Priority Mail your package no later than September 30th.

If you are new to DG or have not previously participated in a swap I've hosted, prior to posting interest, please D-mail me with your name, mailing address, phone number, and email address. No one's personal information will be shared and is only for my log.

Participants are only obligated to send to one person, your assigned Buddy. Any side trades you all work out should be handled through D-mail.

DO NOT post Delivery Confirmation Numbers directly on our threads...doing so is an invasion of privacy. Instead, keep your receipt handy, or D-mail me the number you used so I can let your Secret Buddy know their box of plants is on the way.

Our Guidelines below are the same as they have been in the past...

We're sharing a minimum of 3 healthy houseplants and/or tropicals whose value is $20 excluding Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. Feel free to divide plants you already have or start propagating new ones from cuttings. If your budget permits, you're also welcome to include other gardening items such as gloves, water globes, plant markers, Fall bulbs for Spring or Summer blooms, etc.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1199161/

And our Wants List is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197083/

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Reserved for Participants...

AmandaEsq / Amanda -- Staying to chat but won't be exchanging plants.
candles4u / Crystal
careyana / Carey
Carolyn22 / Carolyn
catzgalore / Stephanie
chellflower / Chell
Cville_Gardener / Carole -- maybe
dispatcher1 / Lou
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
GAgirl1066 / Paula
GardenQuilts / Lori Lynn
goldhillal / Crystal
happgarden / Joyce
ilovejesusus99 / Sandy
janaestone/ Di
joeswife / Debra
jsxtiger / Jax
Mud_Elf / Kris
plantsforpeg -- maybe
rouxcrew / Joy
roxxanne / Rox
rvnsbrk / Neener
tikipod / Angie
Tina_A / Tina

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 10:15 PM

(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

.................i beez first in line!!!! wat i'll git?

An Orange Prince Philo pup if my plant ever has one :D

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

lol Fruity! I told Carole the other day that the tiny little pup on mine finally sprouted a new leaf. It's almost 3 inches tall now!

(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

............wheeeeeeee!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

:)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I guess the PO better start confiscating a lot more plants. Kid and others alike have been smoking Brugs for over 10 yrs to get high. It is so poison it is killing some and causing brain damage. Also Morning glory seeds are suppose to get a person high. People will try anything. Daturas are used in I believe Satanic rituals to get high and in Colorado there is a toad that is licked to supposedly have the effect of LSD.....Now whose idea was that????

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

105 with a heat index of 109. My little Mexican coral vine is sure managing without much help, and my pbttttth, just lost the name. Sigh, vine, grows like crazy, flowers are in clumps like grapes, starting out dark and turning light as they age, tubular.
Arggggh! Anyway, it was major suffering two years ago from the 16 degree winter, then thought I had lost it this year from another bad winter and the drought. Just saw a 4' long tendril winding up near the wood fence so I gave it my bottle of water. If I can keep it alive I will be digging it up to bring closer to the house. I am excited that I still have it even if I am blank on the name.
If anyone sees my brain wandering around will you send it home?

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

coral vine ;)

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My white moon vine is finally going! The heat was tough on it too, but Joy you guys take the cake down there. This has got to be over soon.

Look what I picked this morning. I'm so proud. Can't wait for next year to have a real garden in my raised bed that I am going to have.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice 'maters Neener! :)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Wow Neener what a beautiful basket of tomatoes. Mmmmmm they look delicious. I don't know about this drought being over soon as the news the other day said we are 17 inches behind in rain. It will take several Hurricanes dropping tons of rain to catch us up. Other areas of TX may need even more than us in the Houston area.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2011/20110804_update_atlantichurricaneoutlook.html Here they are talking about how they have increased the number of hurricanes for this year between Aug. and Oct.
*shiver*

Nice tomatoes neener! I'm supremely jealous!

I decided I was going to start sewing my garden seeds this weekend. Whoops. Forgot I promised myself to do that.

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Is there going to be a fall round up this year? I've been dividing in hopes.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

You all are gonna laugh when I tell you what I just had for lunch. I took 2 of those tomatoes, 2 of my homemade dill pickle spears, a scallion and a pinch of salt. Whizzed it up in my Vitamix blender and had instant gazpacho. Believe it or not it was really good!

Wow, sounds delicious, wish I was closer. We are just trying to keep a few maters alive till fall when hopefully the rains will return..

The vine I couldn't think of was my Rangoon Creeper.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Neener sort of makes me wish I could cook.

A.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Here Here Amanda, my sentiments exactly.

I would send your mind back if I find it but I won't remember who lost it.....

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL!! You guys crack me up.. Thanks I needed that.

I'm tickled for you, Neener! See what a little extra sun can do?

Rox, you've found the Fall round right here and have got you added. So glad you're joining us again.

Neener , you can make me some gapazo anytime, or what ever you called it. Vege milkshake? yummty.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Mount Vernon, IL

I love veggies, but a veggie shake, ewwww! Those tomatoes belong next to a steak, a huge bloody steak! Sorry vegans! I'm addict!
Save a plant, eat a cow!
Anyhow, anyone know how to propagate hearts entangles without disturbing the root? I've got 2 huge plants and I tried rooting some last winter and had no luck, help please!

Sorry candles I don't even know what it is.... ;(

Mount Vernon, IL

Its also called rosary vine, it has slender vines with heart shaped leaves and gets all tangled as it grows, and some purple flowers that look kinda like a upside down vase. It can get really long.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I am going to have to back out of the swap. My truck over heated Sat and just found out it blew a head gasket. I am going to be trapped like a rat from now on. I hate this more than anything in the world. I was without a truck for 6 weeks this spring and it drove me totally nuts. Now selling Avon I will have to quit as I won't have a way to deliver it. Life at times is so depressing. I am in some co-ops I will be canceling orders on also.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

hey! I thought Avon could ship for free?

Sorry - I'm also counting nickels and dimes to ship a package today. Not sure I'll get to the amount I need. Maybe I'll send fewer plants and use the medium rate box. :D

Will send thoughts of abundance your way.

A.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

They ship for 3.00 for orders under 30 dollars and free for orders over 30 dollars. I have customers who like the person service of me delivering theirs and have orders under 30 dollars. If I see I can do this swap I would love to be in it.

I was told it will be $2000 + for my truck. My credit is really bad so I can't borrow it. I can only dream to get it fixed anytime soon. The place I go outpatient for my depression 5 days a week decided I could no longer sell Avon there. One of the van drivers told a lot of the employees if I can't sell Avon no one will buy or sell anything. That was were most of my customers were. I just picked up one at the local school and a lady got a book I left at the drs office. I live 13 miles from town. I am so stressed over this.
I don't think I can borrow this from my brother in PA. I have always been on my own as far as these things go. I feel so trapped without a vehicle. I think I will take a nap.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Sooze -- please put me back to "maybe" status for this swap. I'll know for sure by the deadline to sign up. Thanks. ^_^

LOL ... yah, those Philos can be sooo finicky sometimes.

Well I did, Carole, but didn't want to. Stick around and chat with us.

Sandy, You too & don't give up! You need your customers now more than ever. I was going to suggest your local ones drop by your house to pick-up their orders, but if they live in town $3 shipping is much cheaper than a couple of gallons of gas, and like you mentioned orders over $30 ship for free, so they have nothing to lose and am sure they would understand til you get your wheels back. Does your mental health place by chance have a pick-up service? My heart goes out to you.

You two please let me know definitely either way by Sunday the 28th, OK?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

You know what I am going to stay in. All it is going to cost me is shipping. I have lots of plants. I just won't do any side trades like I was hoping to.

I will have to sell alot of Avon :) to fix my truck. My son is going to call my brother to borrow money so that leaves me out. Oh well I hope it works out I get a vehicle or can get my truck fixed.

Fruity they give me a ride to and from the center so that helps. I hope they can take me to the post office as I have 2 things I have to get in the mail. I have another one that is plants but hate to mail in this heat. I canceled my orders for the co-ops I am in. I guess there is always next time.

Hugs,
Sandy

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Neener just showed me around the USPS site a little bit. If you print your postage online you can get the mail carrier to pick up your stuff the next day they deliver your mail.

I was thinking along the same lines as Froot on your Avon stuff. I'm sure you'll come up with something. The skeeters are chewing me so bad I might need a new bottle of "skin so soft" or whatever it is that is supposed to help. ;)

Keep us posted.

A.

You can print your own USPS labels on plain paper, schedule packages to be picked up, and get a FREE delivery confirmation number.

SSS is good stuff. We have cans on both porches that have SPF protection, and a spray bottle of the regular oil in our bathroom cabinet that I spritz on after every shower and is helpful too for dry itchy Winter skin.

There is definitely one benefit to a drought. No skeeters!!!! Every now and then I'll see one, but it gets smooshed pretty quick.

Sandy, it is not going to be worth it to fix that truck, if it is over 6 years old. It might be if you can get a second mechanic to look at it and do work on the side.. See if there is a dealorship close to you that helps people in your situation. we have them everywhere here, all it takes is history of good payment on utitlities. Is there a title loan place there? Also, a lot of places can help you over the phone to get approved.
Call around and keep the faith. I have been in your shoes, and have faith you will pull out of this little bump in the road. I work at a dealorship and I know there is a way.

I tried the listerine skeeter repellant, it still doesn't work like deet, and I cover myself head to toe before I go outside in my yard, lots of skeeters around here.
Today I called a nursery a few miles from my work and found a ton of 5 gallon ROS and Crape mertyls for under 25.00 each. Healthy and would hold them until it cools down a bit. I think I am going to get 3 ROS and 3 CM, I already have two small ROS I started from seed and the ones he has are the double carnation type blooms. I am moving the large single purple one I started from seed two years ago to the naked south fence as well. I am already feeling cooler with my new shady fence line in my mindseye.

Debra those would be beautiful along your fence and give privacy. My neighbor dug up some of hers for me, they are not big maybe 3 or 4 feet and a ton of seeds. I am going to plant some on the west side where I lost all my pine trees. Has it cooled of there? We have one of Missouri's perfect days yesterday, we get 2 a year, and it was perfect just perfect.

Have a ton of things to get in the garden but I know it will get hot again, it is August, hopefully labor day weekend I can get everything in and settled before winter. Just been too hot and horrible to do anything this summer.

Wow it is awful to be without a transportation, but keep your chin up and plodding along, a way will come along, just gotta keep opening those doors until the one that works is there.

joyce I am glad your day was perfect I hope you got to enjoy it. Looks like it is going to rain today, sure hope it gives. college girl went to walmart last night and I tagged along, I found a nice ROS for 4 or 5 dollars can't remeber now, and their hibs were marked down so got one nice double peach for 4.50. and a shrub with no tag but has orange looking pear shaped berries hanging off thebranches. it is huge for 5 dollars. picked up a couple small tropicals for a swap they were on sale too.
wish I lived near a homedepot. well, off to work, here is a nice loaf of amish white bread college girl baked from scratch, enjoy.. darn it no pic but it is AWSOME!! I think I need her to go to culinary school instead of being a teacher. she said she pua pic of it on facebook.. oh well.

Hey guys, Cindy is hosting her fourth annual bird, butterfly, and bat house swap. It sure is lean over there and it is always fun. Come visit.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1202528/

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Joy that is a terrific bird house.

That is one I got in the swap two years ago. I really love it and so do the birds!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.