Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: 2nd Annual FALL Houseplants/Tropicals Swap - Page 3

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 131, Views: 761
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8742639

Here's your chance to update us with progress reports about the plants you received in our Spring Houseplants/Tropical swap, chat away, and express interest in joining us again in the Fall if you haven't already done so. The last day to sign up is Wednesday, August 31st, and you will receive your Buddy's name in a D-mail shortly afterwards. Please strive to Priority Mail your package no later than September 30th.

If you are new to DG or have not previously participated in a swap I've hosted, prior to posting interest, please D-mail me with your name, mailing address, phone number, and email address. No one's personal information will be shared and is only for my log.

Participants are only obligated to send to one person, your assigned Buddy. Any side trades you all work out should be handled through D-mail.

DO NOT post Delivery Confirmation Numbers directly on our threads...doing so is an invasion of privacy. Instead, keep your receipt handy, or D-mail me the number you used so I can let your Secret Buddy know their box of plants is on the way.

Our Guidelines below are the same as they have been in the past...

We're sharing a minimum of 3 healthy houseplants and/or tropicals whose value is $20 excluding Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. Feel free to divide plants you already have or start propagating new ones from cuttings. If your budget permits, you're also welcome to include other gardening items such as gloves, water globes, plant markers, Fall bulbs for Spring or Summer blooms, etc.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1199161/

And our Wants List is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197083/

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8742640

Reserved for Participants...

AmandaEsq / Amanda -- Staying to chat but won't be exchanging plants.
candles4u / Crystal
careyana / Carey
Carolyn22 / Carolyn
catzgalore / Stephanie
chellflower / Chell
Cville_Gardener / Carole -- maybe
dispatcher1 / Lou
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
GAgirl1066 / Paula
GardenQuilts / Lori Lynn
goldhillal / Crystal
happgarden / Joyce
ilovejesusus99 / Sandy
janaestone/ Di
joeswife / Debra
jsxtiger / Jax
Mud_Elf / Kris
plantsforpeg -- maybe
rouxcrew / Joy
roxxanne / Rox
rvnsbrk / Neener
tikipod / Angie
Tina_A / Tina

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 10:15 PM

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8742669

...i beez first in line!!!! wat i'll git?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8742695

An Orange Prince Philo pup if my plant ever has one :D

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8742701

lol Fruity! I told Carole the other day that the tiny little pup on mine finally sprouted a new leaf. It's almost 3 inches tall now!

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8742759

...wheeeeeeee!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8742845

:)
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8742948

I guess the PO better start confiscating a lot more plants. Kid and others alike have been smoking Brugs for over 10 yrs to get high. It is so poison it is killing some and causing brain damage. Also Morning glory seeds are suppose to get a person high. People will try anything. Daturas are used in I believe Satanic rituals to get high and in Colorado there is a toad that is licked to supposedly have the effect of LSD...Now whose idea was that????

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8743033

105 with a heat index of 109. My little Mexican coral vine is sure managing without much help, and my pbttttth, just lost the name. Sigh, vine, grows like crazy, flowers are in clumps like grapes, starting out dark and turning light as they age, tubular.
Arggggh! Anyway, it was major suffering two years ago from the 16 degree winter, then thought I had lost it this year from another bad winter and the drought. Just saw a 4' long tendril winding up near the wood fence so I gave it my bottle of water. If I can keep it alive I will be digging it up to bring closer to the house. I am excited that I still have it even if I am blank on the name.
If anyone sees my brain wandering around will you send it home?

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8743505

coral vine ;)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8743974

My white moon vine is finally going! The heat was tough on it too, but Joy you guys take the cake down there. This has got to be over soon.

Look what I picked this morning. I'm so proud. Can't wait for next year to have a real garden in my raised bed that I am going to have.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8743988

Nice 'maters Neener! :)
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8744023

Wow Neener what a beautiful basket of tomatoes. Mmmmmm they look delicious. I don't know about this drought being over soon as the news the other day said we are 17 inches behind in rain. It will take several Hurricanes dropping tons of rain to catch us up. Other areas of TX may need even more than us in the Houston area.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2011/20110804_update_atlantichurricaneoutlook.html Here they are talking about how they have increased the number of hurricanes for this year between Aug. and Oct.
*shiver*

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8744135

Nice tomatoes neener! I'm supremely jealous!

I decided I was going to start sewing my garden seeds this weekend. Whoops. Forgot I promised myself to do that.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8744198

Is there going to be a fall round up this year? I've been dividing in hopes.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8744251

You all are gonna laugh when I tell you what I just had for lunch. I took 2 of those tomatoes, 2 of my homemade dill pickle spears, a scallion and a pinch of salt. Whizzed it up in my Vitamix blender and had instant gazpacho. Believe it or not it was really good!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8744419

Wow, sounds delicious, wish I was closer. We are just trying to keep a few maters alive till fall when hopefully the rains will return..

The vine I couldn't think of was my Rangoon Creeper.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8744498

Neener sort of makes me wish I could cook.

A.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8744603

Here Here Amanda, my sentiments exactly.

I would send your mind back if I find it but I won't remember who lost it...
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8744705

LOL!! You guys crack me up.. Thanks I needed that.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8745165

I'm tickled for you, Neener! See what a little extra sun can do?

Rox, you've found the Fall round right here and have got you added. So glad you're joining us again.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8745604

Neener , you can make me some gapazo anytime, or what ever you called it. Vege milkshake? yummty.

Thumbnail by joeswife

candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

August 8, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8745707

I love veggies, but a veggie shake, ewwww! Those tomatoes belong next to a steak, a huge bloody steak! Sorry vegans! I'm addict!
Save a plant, eat a cow!
Anyhow, anyone know how to propagate hearts entangles without disturbing the root? I've got 2 huge plants and I tried rooting some last winter and had no luck, help please!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8746059

Sorry candles I don't even know what it is... ;(
candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

August 9, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8746426

Its also called rosary vine, it has slender vines with heart shaped leaves and gets all tangled as it grows, and some purple flowers that look kinda like a upside down vase. It can get really long.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8746757

I am going to have to back out of the swap. My truck over heated Sat and just found out it blew a head gasket. I am going to be trapped like a rat from now on. I hate this more than anything in the world. I was without a truck for 6 weeks this spring and it drove me totally nuts. Now selling Avon I will have to quit as I won't have a way to deliver it. Life at times is so depressing. I am in some co-ops I will be canceling orders on also.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8746843

hey! I thought Avon could ship for free?

Sorry - I'm also counting nickels and dimes to ship a package today. Not sure I'll get to the amount I need. Maybe I'll send fewer plants and use the medium rate box. :D

Will send thoughts of abundance your way.

A.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8746872

They ship for 3.00 for orders under 30 dollars and free for orders over 30 dollars. I have customers who like the person service of me delivering theirs and have orders under 30 dollars. If I see I can do this swap I would love to be in it.

I was told it will be $2000 + for my truck. My credit is really bad so I can't borrow it. I can only dream to get it fixed anytime soon. The place I go outpatient for my depression 5 days a week decided I could no longer sell Avon there. One of the van drivers told a lot of the employees if I can't sell Avon no one will buy or sell anything. That was were most of my customers were. I just picked up one at the local school and a lady got a book I left at the drs office. I live 13 miles from town. I am so stressed over this.
I don't think I can borrow this from my brother in PA. I have always been on my own as far as these things go. I feel so trapped without a vehicle. I think I will take a nap.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8746875

Sooze -- please put me back to "maybe" status for this swap. I'll know for sure by the deadline to sign up. Thanks. ^_^

LOL ... yah, those Philos can be sooo finicky sometimes.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8747097

Well I did, Carole, but didn't want to. Stick around and chat with us.

Sandy, You too & don't give up! You need your customers now more than ever. I was going to suggest your local ones drop by your house to pick-up their orders, but if they live in town $3 shipping is much cheaper than a couple of gallons of gas, and like you mentioned orders over $30 ship for free, so they have nothing to lose and am sure they would understand til you get your wheels back. Does your mental health place by chance have a pick-up service? My heart goes out to you.

You two please let me know definitely either way by Sunday the 28th, OK?
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8747206

You know what I am going to stay in. All it is going to cost me is shipping. I have lots of plants. I just won't do any side trades like I was hoping to.

I will have to sell alot of Avon :) to fix my truck. My son is going to call my brother to borrow money so that leaves me out. Oh well I hope it works out I get a vehicle or can get my truck fixed.

Fruity they give me a ride to and from the center so that helps. I hope they can take me to the post office as I have 2 things I have to get in the mail. I have another one that is plants but hate to mail in this heat. I canceled my orders for the co-ops I am in. I guess there is always next time.

Hugs,
Sandy

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8747367

Neener just showed me around the USPS site a little bit. If you print your postage online you can get the mail carrier to pick up your stuff the next day they deliver your mail.

I was thinking along the same lines as Froot on your Avon stuff. I'm sure you'll come up with something. The skeeters are chewing me so bad I might need a new bottle of "skin so soft" or whatever it is that is supposed to help. ;)

Keep us posted.

A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8747420

You can print your own USPS labels on plain paper, schedule packages to be picked up, and get a FREE delivery confirmation number.

SSS is good stuff. We have cans on both porches that have SPF protection, and a spray bottle of the regular oil in our bathroom cabinet that I spritz on after every shower and is helpful too for dry itchy Winter skin.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8747578

There is definitely one benefit to a drought. No skeeters!!!! Every now and then I'll see one, but it gets smooshed pretty quick.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8747642

Sandy, it is not going to be worth it to fix that truck, if it is over 6 years old. It might be if you can get a second mechanic to look at it and do work on the side.. See if there is a dealorship close to you that helps people in your situation. we have them everywhere here, all it takes is history of good payment on utitlities. Is there a title loan place there? Also, a lot of places can help you over the phone to get approved.
Call around and keep the faith. I have been in your shoes, and have faith you will pull out of this little bump in the road. I work at a dealorship and I know there is a way.

I tried the listerine skeeter repellant, it still doesn't work like deet, and I cover myself head to toe before I go outside in my yard, lots of skeeters around here.
Today I called a nursery a few miles from my work and found a ton of 5 gallon ROS and Crape mertyls for under 25.00 each. Healthy and would hold them until it cools down a bit. I think I am going to get 3 ROS and 3 CM, I already have two small ROS I started from seed and the ones he has are the double carnation type blooms. I am moving the large single purple one I started from seed two years ago to the naked south fence as well. I am already feeling cooler with my new shady fence line in my mindseye.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8750041

Debra those would be beautiful along your fence and give privacy. My neighbor dug up some of hers for me, they are not big maybe 3 or 4 feet and a ton of seeds. I am going to plant some on the west side where I lost all my pine trees. Has it cooled of there? We have one of Missouri's perfect days yesterday, we get 2 a year, and it was perfect just perfect.

Have a ton of things to get in the garden but I know it will get hot again, it is August, hopefully labor day weekend I can get everything in and settled before winter. Just been too hot and horrible to do anything this summer.

Wow it is awful to be without a transportation, but keep your chin up and plodding along, a way will come along, just gotta keep opening those doors until the one that works is there.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8750079

joyce I am glad your day was perfect I hope you got to enjoy it. Looks like it is going to rain today, sure hope it gives. college girl went to walmart last night and I tagged along, I found a nice ROS for 4 or 5 dollars can't remeber now, and their hibs were marked down so got one nice double peach for 4.50. and a shrub with no tag but has orange looking pear shaped berries hanging off thebranches. it is huge for 5 dollars. picked up a couple small tropicals for a swap they were on sale too.
wish I lived near a homedepot. well, off to work, here is a nice loaf of amish white bread college girl baked from scratch, enjoy.. darn it no pic but it is AWSOME!! I think I need her to go to culinary school instead of being a teacher. she said she pua pic of it on facebook.. oh well.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8750530

Hey guys, Cindy is hosting her fourth annual bird, butterfly, and bat house swap. It sure is lean over there and it is always fun. Come visit.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1202528/

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8750547

Joy that is a terrific bird house.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8750690

That is one I got in the swap two years ago. I really love it and so do the birds!!!!
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8750806

Please don't tell anyone that morning glories are used to get high. Certain neighbors would trample my garden and rip mine off the trellis! I am already considering "neighbor nets" for the tomatoes. I am picking anything starting to turn red that seems to help. Tomatoes are so expensive in the store and the fresh ones are so tasty, I can sympathize - to a point. I hope they are inspired to grow their own tomatoes next year.

Hang in there Sandy. Try to calm down before quitting anything, especially the Avon! Why not try calling the disability or social security office to discuss your situation. Maybe there is help available that you haven't heard about?

It is still over 70% humidity here, but thankfully it is a bit cooler. I would gladly send some moisture to Texas for your plants.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8751053

if I caught anyone in my yard to pick anything, I would have a fit!!!! especially since I have lost sooo many tomatoe plants this summer.
last year, this bed was full of tomatoes with morning glorys all over them..

Thumbnail by joeswife

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8751104

In the beginning of July Court offered to deadhead my flower beds. I asked him not to prune my snapdragons because they were 4'+ high with seed pods and was going to collect them!

a day or two later I came out front and looked at the bed. It looked strangely tidy. I walked up to it to find that someone had come in the night and cut off every single stalk and taken all of my seeds!!!

plants were butchered. Still green and blooming (snapdragons, in August - honest!) so they are sturdy mudders, but still! Wanted to choke someone. Thinking it was this old Asian woman who pushes a stroller around the neighborhood. I told Court - there ain't no baby in there! It's full of seed pods! I had seen her bending over my beds at the mailbox and touching the flowers. That was months/weeks before the theft. Anyway.

I was hoping to send each and every one of you some thousands of yellow skyrocket snapdragon seeds, but whoever took mine took 'em all. :(

The nerve.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8751316

Wow can't imagine anyone stealing flowers from a neighbor...wow, won't it be noticed when it is growing in their yard next year? The neighbor taking the tomatoes I would give them a tomatoe plant and maybe they will leave yours along, course stealing is easier than doing it yourself. Course I don't understand alot of things.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8751416

Makes you wonder about people, doesn't it? I remember reading - I think it was in the rose forum, that somebody had an entire rose bush dug up and stolen from one evening to the next morning. I do think it is getting worse -
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8751548

On one of the forums a few years back someone talked about a neighbor across the street from them stealing their plants and actually putting them in their front yard...THE NERVE of some people. Also someone had a huge potted burgundy oxalis on their porch was stolen. Someone chimed in people steal them trade a dealer for drugs and dealers sell them at the flea markets. I thought I had heard everything until I heard that.

I don't know why I would consider giving up so easy. My 56th birthday is Saturday. 6 yrs ago we had no car and no means to get one. My husband (late) was in the hospital and told our neighbor who was in their our situation. Without knowing it was my birthday called us to come over. They handed us the keys to this 1996 Chevy S-10 Pick-up. Although I have not been the Christian for a while that I was at that time I am sure He still loves me and will provide in some way.

If you ladies who want or need some Avon will dmail me your email addresses I will put it into my website for you to get 10% off your next or first order. Remember over 30 dollars is free shipping. You can also try the FIRSTREP code and see if it still works for free shipping off of under $30 dollars.

My email addy is 1cinderella1955@gmail.com for your future reference for anything. Just title your email or dmail as Avon Discount.

There is some great deals on Skin so Soft right now. I did cancel my co-op orders. There is always next time.

Did someone on here mention not being allowed to mail seeds out of the country recently? My son took some to the po for me yesterday headed to the Netherlands. They made him open it and said it was a federal offense to mail them. They told him it was something Obama had done. Remember no political talk. They did chime in with a reminder on the seeds trading thread as someone made a political remark. I just want to know where I read someone else had this problem recently and don't remember if I read it on DG or another gardening website. My son has his arms covered in large colorful tatoos and is always being treated different by shallow people. Or maybe this has something to do with all the new airline rules they keep coming up with. I never had this happen before and of course can't remember where I read someone else recently had this problem. If you need any seeds I recommend tuinkabouter from here on DG @ http://www.freewebs.com/belevenissen-van-een-tuinkabouter/ They are 25 cents Netherlands money which I think is under 40 cents US money. She has some really great seeds and so many different ones. I bought some New Zealand Castor Bean and Snail Vine and quite a few other seeds.
She is so sweet. I already have them. I was sending her some Mimosa, Coral Bean, and Christmas Senna seeds. But of course wasn't allowed to mail. Mmmmm wonder if I would get the same cell in Federal Prison as Martha Stewart had ...Fat chance I am not filthy rich...Hope that isn't considered a political statement.

Ok enough about me and my life events lol
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
3:36 AM

Post #8751624

Sandy you are a hoot!! Doesn't take a genius to know we are in deep doo doo in this country. Sorry you couldn't mail your seeds.

You all are making me very glad that I life at the top of hill in the middle of nowhere. It would take a hardy soul to want to steal something out of the garden up here. Reminds me though I need to set up those shooting lessons I promised my Dad I would take. :))

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8751662

neener ! LOL

Sandy, I will prolly miss your Birthday, so have a great one. I am with you on the state of the country's situation.
mCollege girl has some tatoos, she keeps them covered at her job, tho. I think they are pretty. Anyway, I just know you will be okay.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8751753

Happy Birthday, Ang. The BIG 3-0! lol

And Happy Birthday tomorrow, Sandy!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8751798

Oy.

Sandy - when I was a fancy lawyer I gave away the car my 90+ year old aunt had given me. It was my first car - at 25 years old - living in Boston - I didn't WANT a car. It was a liability and got towed in the city more times than I can remember. Of course, it had a NC license plate on it and I do believe there was selective enforcement of certain parking restrictions. It was a 1986 Buick Century with only 50K on it in 1996. When I bought my first new car in 2002 I felt bad about trading the Buick because Aunt Inez always said it was the prettiest car she'd ever seen. So I let it sit in the driveway until I learned that the "security guard" in my building who I spoke with every night when leaving was walking to work because the family car had broken down.

The car had plenty of miles left on it but not for the highway you understand. But you'd think they won a million dollars. The car wouldn't start had to jump it in my driveway - trying to drive it over to Sears to get a new battery. He kept saying he didn't have the money for a new battery. I was so excited to have found a good soul to take Inez's car. The car stalled several times between the condo and Sears finally got it parked a a shopping center and drove the hell to Sears in my car to buy the battery to take back to the Buick.

I know people say what goes around comes around and I keep waiting for mine to come around. HA HA! But there are good Christians out there I think, though like Neener I tend to hide in the house and avoid the crazies.

Hard not to get pissed off when someone takes your stuff tho'. Hell - seed pods. Worth nothing, right? I adjusted my thinking to something akin to "imitation is the highest form of flattery" and they were/have been amazing to keep blooming thru the whole summer. I would gladly have given the seed, just wanted to keep a few thousand for myself and a dozen or so of my new closest personal friends here on DG. :D

Temp here dropped into the 60s overnight and feels near perfect at 74 out there right now. Going to get out in it and be thankful for my weeds and the beautiful day.

Passing on love and sloppy wet kisses from my dog.

A.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2011 8:35 AM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8751857

Sandy - Neener is right - you are a hoot! Don't ever change.

It is NOT illegal to send seeds out of the country and as far as your PO blaming it on the current administration, I would ask to see where that new law is written.

I export for a living. I have been doing it for 22 years. I went in and looked and there is an entire chapter on the harmonized classification system which used for every item that is to be sent out of this country. You can find that chapter here... http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/schedules/b/2011/c12.pdf. If you think about it, we as a country send tons and tons of wheat to Russia and where ever else. That just doesn't make sense.

I hope your upcoming birthday is a joyous one - it is definitely your turn girl.

Amanda - your story reminds me of my brother in Boston - he kept getting parking tickets and just threw them away. Something about being young and foolish. Eventually they put the boot on this car and wouldn't take it off until the tickets were paid. That was another phone call home to Mom...

As far as this country is concerned, I agree with all of you...

GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8752095

I guess I should be glad that they only took a couple of tomatoes not the whole plant. I am guilty of taking seeds sometimes - typically from shopping centers or untended gardens. I would never take all of them, just a few. Sorry about your snapdragons. Sounds like the lady is a bit crazy (but aren't we all in one way or other).

I can't believe that summer is almost over, but glad to have more comfortable weather.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8752208

I think it depends on the PO. I found a thread from 2006 that seems to mention shipping seeds is illegal unless you have filled out a form - and it was a USDA enforcement, NOT the post office. Can't seem to find anything related to the PO enforcement.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=441964

It's hard to find anything else about stamped mail. All I could find were various websites dealing with shipping cannabis seed. LOL

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8752378

Lots has to do with invasive plant list(s) in different states, insects, disease. There are laws that prevent the shipment of firewood from state to state and/or entrance into federal lands because it carries so much ookie.

I don't know how they would police lil' guys like us on DG.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8752628

Happy Birthday, Ang and Sandy ... and many more. ♥♥♥ ^_^

We now have a third stray kitty (I think I've lost what little of my mind I had left) and he is intent on destroying houseplants, so I have decided to cut way back on the plants inside and concentrate my efforts outside for now. I'll definitely let you know by the sign-up date, Sooze, if I'm in. Right now, it's like a Demolition Derby around here. :-D)))

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8752636

Carole - he is so precious and looks so happy in your home!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8752649

Thanks, Carolyn. He really is a sweetie with a great personality and very intelligent. Due to extreme overcrowding, they would have put him right down if I had taken him to the County Animal Shelter. I had to give him a chance. What can you do? I'm such a sucker for a sweet kitty face. :-D
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8752665

Carole

I am too. My daughter's friends used to joke that I would be the 'cat lady' - living by myself with 60 cats...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8752673

oh my gawd - he is so cute! I am almost . . .jealous. Always said the first 6 months with a kitten'll kill you. :D
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8752689

[quote="AmandaEsq"] Always said the first 6 months with a kitten'll kill you. :D[/quote]

Or if one is behind on getting them spayed...I never heard such noises. I remember thinking it would have been easier to just let her outside... ^_^

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8752716

Yah, I had forgotten what life with a kitten is like. Oy! This one is about 3 mo. old or so. Such energy. Wish I had half that much. :-o

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8752732

Carole I see the difficulties! What a cute l'il bundle of fluff. :)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8752739

Oh Carole I can sympathize. Been through that recently as well. What a sweetie. Looks like my old tabby that I had to put down earlier this year.

I'd like to tell you it gets easier, but I don't want to lie. :))
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8752768

Definitely worth the trouble in my book!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8752777

[quote="Cville_Gardener"]Happy Birthday, Ang and Sandy ... and many more. ♥♥♥ ^_^

We Are Glad You Are Here!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8752778

hehe.. well I treid.. tried even, gosh I M tired, now will quit while I am ahead..
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8752781

[quote]I'd like to tell you it gets easier, but I don't want to lie. :)) [/quote]

Neener I so totally understand not wanting to say this. Had my first battle without a car. Slept most of the day today and ask my son if he could take me to drop off an order. He said he was going to watch a preseason football game and of course had to add if I had gotten up sooner grrrrrr Nothing I can say when he gets his feathers ruffled will do any good. He is one that has to always be right. I hate when he gets his panties in a wad. Like his girlfriend I just blamed it on my illness. :P After all he has let her slide when she says and does anything.

My Avon customer is coming to my house tomorrow. 1 down and 1 to go. I may have to pay ship to their homes until I get a vehicle. I hate to ask for help and even more hate to not get the stuff to my customers. This is really going to put a damper on my Avon Business. :(

I looked on USPS shipping to the Netherlands. It says $44.75 for under a half lb. Can that truly be right?
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8752809

Wow strike the stuff about my son...he just came to me and apologized...I guess things do get easier...That is a great accomplishment..Now to have a vehicle...:) One thing at a time...

Thank for the birthday wishes...and thanks for saying I am a hoot...I don't ever plan on growing up lol

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8752859

Well Glory be. ;)

A.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8752864

Sandy, God answers prayers in many strange ways.. Gosh, it sure is an honor to meet you...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8753147

Froot: have you rooted any of the begonia cuttings I gave you? The angel wing/cane begonia has such beeeutiful foliage and grows rapidly, but it has only bloomed once for me. That was last spring (2010), and I bought it on a clearance rack the year before at the end of the season.

Maybe I need to feed it more ?

The dragon wing begonia has no problem blooming whatsoever.

I was also thinking of you today as I gave my purple ivy geranium a butch haircut. I'm going to see how many progeny can come of it. It spent much of this heat wave in full sun till about 2 p.m. Poor thing looked a little ragged.

I finally transferred my yellow double begonia to a clay pot. I think the plastic pots and the miracle grow soil/potting mix were holding too much water and causing it to yellow. I figured the clay would let it dry out more quickly and stop the yellowing. It continued to bloom beautifully despite the yellowing leaves.

Saw something very odd yesterday too - a single white flowering begonia (green leaved, the kind you get in a 6 pack in the spring at your favorite big box retail store) waiting to go in a bigger pot/more soil turned almost completely white - I mean the FOLIAGE! It was so pale I didn't know what to think. It apparently needed water, but I have never ever seen anything like it. It is back to beautiful green today. Ever see this happen? Very odd, I thought.

Your thoughts on the begonias are appreciated.

A.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8753932

sun fade? mine do that too.. the clorophly goes to the root system during extreme sun exposure.. ( someone told me that)
candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

August 13, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8754021

For real? Someone stealing from your garden? Omg, I'd let the dogs loose, 1000lbs of dog would teach someone a lesson! Well its more like 800lbs but whose counting? I will have puppies for sale, close to thanksgiving, lol who ever thought we would need guard dogs for the garden!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8754065

Thanks Debra - looks fine today.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8754602

Hi Gals! First things first...I hope you had the Best B-Day ever, Sandy! You're such a big part of our group and we only wish you the best! I hope you got to do something fun today and didn't stress over not having wheels... yet...you'll get there. Sorry for being lax posting the past few days but have been busy cleaning out my kitchen top to bottom, including the chest freezer (ugh) on hot days, and have been taking advantage of our lower temps outside the past few planting a bit but mostly cleaning up the beds. I promised I wasn't going to collect seeds, but I have, so far some from Daylilies.

Last Spring, I found a Begonia with "Baby" in its name at one of our local greenhouses for $2. My Dad's beloved Boxer was named Baby and just had to have it. Wish I could say I'd rescued the plant and nursed it back to health, but I didn't. Although there were times before it was warm enough for it to be happy outside I thought it was a goner for sure...pouty little thing...but it's stretched out nicely and has the sweetest little White blooms with Yellow centers.

Manda, the only plant you gave me that didn't root was the "stick"...lol The Coleus have grown large enough to take cuttings. Do you want some back? And here's a pic today of the Begonia cuttings you gave me, firmly rooted and doing well. Fertilizer? I'm the World's worst remembering to do that. The Angel Wing I'd be happy to grow just for its foliage, and the Dragon Wing has been a non-stop bloomer, even before it actually rooted. Love 'em.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8754629

Does anybody know how to carry over a Dragon wing begonia during the winter? I picked one up several months ago, because what we had in the outside planter was not doing well. The dragon wing has done so well that we are thinking about putting in another pot so we can have one on either side of the lower deck.

I'd appreciate any info. Do they root easily if I take cuttings?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8754637

Froot - nah - I split that pile of discarded plant pieces with you, and I think we each got some of every different kind. I love the coleus variety - so pretty and I have been pinching here and there to make new plants too.

No, I was just curious about the angel wing and why it has never flowered again but grows like gangbusters.

Yours look beautiful of course. :)

Thanks.

A.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8754645

They are very easy to root - yes.

I brought mine in in its HB and had it in front of a window with bright light. It bloomed all winter. In the spring you give it a haircut because it may get leggy and lose some leaves. OR you can take it into a cooler room like your basement and let it sort of go dormant, watering it only enough to keep the soil from drying out. That's how my neighbor does hers.

Others may have more specific instructions, but it's a very easy plant to keep and reproduce. :)

A.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8754735

Amanda -

Thank you. I really appreciate the info.
candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

August 13, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8754875

dragon wings are so pretty! I'm jealous!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2011
12:00 AM

Post #8755240

Don't be jealous! maybe when it gets a bit cooler I can pop some cuttings in the mail to you. My old girl is due for a fall haircut. :D
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8755570

I have overwintered these two angel wing begonias for years. I just cut them back to take starts and are so easy to start. I have enclosed a great web site about rooting, altho it sounds more difficult than it is. When a piece breaks I stick it back in the pot and off it goes, but this web site has LOTS of info. http://www.bradsbegoniaworld.com/prop.htm At least with angel wing begonias.

I have killed a many of begionas by overwatering, I think I have figured out if I ignore the wild bizarre kind like I do the angel wings things are getting much better.

The begonia on the right sides gets a tad more light than the left, so I switch them weekly to try to keep them blooming equally.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8755575

Here is a really cool silver one, wish I could find something silvery that is tall to put behind it. I got this one for a dollar from a nursery closing for the summer.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8755576

Here is one of my starts from the original angel wing.

Thumbnail by happgarden

candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

August 14, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8756502

Those are all gorgeous! Absolutely beautiful!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8756644

Aren't they? I don't think you need anything to go with your silver one, happ. What a cool bicycle planter. You want me to come out there and help you keep the ones on your porch rotated? lol

Manda, remember the pendulous ones in pots on my front porch that were suffering for the heat? They're the same ones you have, Neener. They're doing a lot better out back on our screened in porch that gets filtered Sun most of the day. Poor things were just about crispy critters trying to endure the brunt of late afternoon Sun.

Live and learn. One of these days my brown thumb is really going to turn green.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8756707

I can't tell you the number of times I key a response and then scroll thru the previous posts, then decide to look at a picture and lose all I have keyed in! Good grief, you would think I would learn.

I have read you can grow angel wing begonias in full sun, course this year the only thing I had that could make it with the awful temps we had was plumerias, nothing else could handle it. Fruity, I need all the help I can get, come on up or over which ever it is...rofl. You can help me get this program together I am going to do for the master gardeners...it should be pretty short and sweet, if it works continue to do it, if it doesn't change it...rofl.

DH thought I was nuts for giving a guy 2.00 for that old rusted trike at a car swap meet... ;) I found a planter with a flat side and stuck it on the trike, my DGD tries to ride the trike and it is rusted and missing some rubber on the tires... but she tries.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8756815

happ, I know what you mean. There isn't much surviving out there any more...although my begonias love the morning sun. Some of my EEs apparently want MORE sun even though they get kinda crispy with the sun they get...silly plants.

My dragon wings haven't bloomed since before we left on vacation. I think they're still sulking. Should I fertilize them more?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8756823

pretty begonias.. Ilike the silvry one.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8757187

I fertilize my angel wings or try to at least once a week since they are in small hanging pots. It would probably be better if I were to make a diluted batch of fertilizer with water and water at least every other time with it but I am way too lazy for that. I read somewhere when we see the big beautiful hanging pots blooming their heads off that is what they do. Water with diluted fertilizer every time. So much of the nutrients are washed away with watering all summer long.

Wish I knew the name of the silver begonia.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8757665

Been cleaning up the mess from last night's storm and I have cuttings sitting around everywhere. The more organized I try to get the more of a mess I end up with. ACK!., Took some begonia cuttings this morning along with some more coleus and scented geraniums. Just spent 1/2 hour trying to unentangle the tree hibiscus from the moonvine. I really overachieved with those babies this year. One in an 8 inch pot is quite sufficient. 3 is a jungle. It's kind of like Jack and The Beanstalk out there right now.

Oh well best get back to it. DH will be home before I know it and there are still 2 baskets of laundry to fold and a dishwasher that needs unloading. Oh yeah and there is a load of mulch on my truck yet to get off sometime before Wed. :0) Any takers for part time help up this way?? :0)
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8758697

I overwintered a regular cane begonia last year and plan to overwinter it and my dragon begonia this year. It was fine in filtered northern sunlight inside. I also am trying to root them -so far the rooting leaves haven't turned black, so I hope that they are happily making roots! The cane begonia was started from seed 2 years ago - slow growing, but pretty now.

happygarden, I think a dark purple plant like dark ornamental grass or dark basil would look nice with your silvery plant.

If your leaves are turning white or yellow, you could check the pH of your soil. My gardenia's leaves were turning yellow until I added sulfur to acidify the soil. I have a pH meter from a friend which comes in handy. They aren't that expensive - less expensive than some of the plants you could be saving with it.

The darn squirrel uprooted my agave again to plant a black walnut. I repotted it and brought it inside. Darn tree rats! I can't believe it is nearly time to start overwintering plants. Joys of a short season.

I have been working with a local rescue group to catch a skittish, abandoned cocker spaniel that has been running around here. No one had reported it missing, so the poor thing must have been abandoned. I had to move a bunch of plants around to make room for the trap. Earlier this evening I smelt skunk and thought "Oh No". I am grateful that the skunk isn't in the trap. I have enough laundry to do without being skunked.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8758708

oh dear GardenQ, I hope you find that cocker ...

I am predicitng an early winter, it seems like it will be an early and hard one this year..
let's hope not.

Thumbnail by joeswife

GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8758794

I think that the cocker is staying in the woods or a building undergoing fire reconstruction. He/she has been stopping by for a snack each night. However, the food wasn't touched last night. We have had thunderstorms the past few days, so perhaps that is the reason. I have a little food and water in the former location with more food and treats in the nearby trap. The lady from rescue recommended wet cat food, fast food hamburgers or raw meat as bait. Right now I just have the dry dog food and the treats that he/she has been already eating. Sometimes some food is left, but never the treats.

It is odd because Winston the pug not only cleans his bowl, but also cleans under and around it as well. However, he simply buries these particular treats. Maybe he is getting spoiled by his home made doggie peanut butter crunchies. Winston has multiple food allergies which limit his store bought treat options. Luckily, he and I both like baby carrots.

I hope that the cold weather waits a while longer so that I can get some more tomatoes! They have been very good this year.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8758797

That's a beauty Debra!! I'm falling for MG after a pretty purple and pink one popped up in my container.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8760117

ang, I have lots and lots of morning glory seeds if you ever want any let me know...
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8760145

I would love some Debra! I had hoped to collect the seeds from the plants growing in my container so I can plant elsewhere but someone keeps breaking the branches off.

I'm happy to report the scale in the house has been narrowed down. Only one plant seems to have the pain-in-the-rear scale and only one Brom has the black-dot scale. Great news considering I have plant bucks to spend. I'll have plenty to offer in the SPRING swap, but unfortunately my Dad has requested I refrain from the FALL swap.
candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

August 16, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8760149

Oooooo! My illustrious ee is going to bloom! As soon as it does I will try to get a picture, I'm so excited as its never bloomed before
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8760168

GQ, a dark plant would be great with that silver, I will have to keep an eye out and see what I can find. I probably can't overwinter the whole basket, but if it turns out I would do it next year.

Alot of pressure having the master gardeners over, I know they all understand but still you always want it to look good.
We are finally getting rains and the weeds are going nuts. I weeded again tonight cut up some cardboard boxes laid it over bare spots and started mulching again.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8760371

Hey Froots- don't forget to remove me from this swap.

I told Suz already that I have so many plants this year outside in pots that I will need to bring in I can't possibly accept any more!!!

Will be lurking though. :)

Love to all.

A.
candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

August 16, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8760424

here it is the bloom is going to be yellow? it should look interesting considering the leaves are navy blue

Thumbnail by candles4u

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8760482

that looks awsome!
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8760578

candles4u That is really cool. I would love to see the navy blue leaves.

I have a bit of news. A fellow DGer that I truly love has her Mom and Dad's (he recently passed away :() van for sale. I saw it parked in her driveway few months ago and told my son about it. I thought him and his girlfriend might buy it. But they are now history but looks like I may buy it. It is a 1991 Chevy G-10 Custom full size van. Only has 55,000 miles, New tires, a/c works, battery is 1 yr old. Her mom wants 2000 dollars for it. I have 1000 dollars saved and she said they would take 200 a month for 5 months. I love the idea and it was a 1 owner vehicle. But it is soooooo big.
Has 4 bucket seats and the back seat with a push of a button makes a queen size bed. Mmmmmm lots of room for a big thick tarp :) and many many many plants :)
I am really excited but can't go see it till next week as this is last week before school starts and my DS wants to hang out with the girls and this can wait. My son thinks I can get 1500 for my truck. I will list it on Craigslist for 1800 and settle for 1500. It is worth 3200 and only has 84,000 on it. If it works out I will have a vehicle and my money back in the bank. I never dreamed I would have a vehicle this fast.

Worked outside today in this heat but kept having to walk through the sprinklers to get around the yard. Moved the hoses many times but so far keeping most things alive. Killed 5 huge grasshoppers in the last 2 days. I hope they are just about gone. Some plants are really burnt from combination drought and 102 108 with heat index heat. I almost fry out there. Plants that usually don't suffer like my Amaryllis are having their leaves burn up. We are 19 inches behind on rainfall and today tied the record temperature. They think we will be setting record highs in the next week or so. I pulled some weeds, threw out some bone meal for my Crinums and other bulbs. I will give my Amaryllis some and water it in tomorrow. My ligustrums in front of the house were wilted. I have never seen that. Also a 9 ft Crepe Myrtle and a 20 ft one severely wilted. I have never witnesses such things before. We are not under water restrictions but Houston is under Stage 2 and about 40 miles away in League City they are under Stage 5. They have closed the City swimming pools because of the water situation. No watering lawns there at all.
It is sad to here all kinds of animals from squirrels to deer to birds and everyone in between abandoning their babies due to not enough food and water. little teeny pink newborn squirrels they had on the news. It is very sad conditions here in Texas. I am trying to keep what I have alive and unless there is a RU I still won't bring home many more as we have had 2 horrible cold winters than killed so many things. I seriously want to find a tiny white flowered hibiscus I had. It was 14 ft tall and beautiful till it stayed below freezing for a week. I lost 25+ Plumerias. I was too sick to do anything. I try not to think about the loss as it was devastating and still is. Took years to get all I had. I had 5 6ft Queen of the night Epi's. I could go on and on but I won't :( Time to file it away again.
Almost time for bed.
I really enjoy all of you immensely and love being a part of your lives:):):):)
Sweet Dream's my wonderful friends.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8760616

sounds like prayers may be answered, and still some to get answered, one way or another. Praying desprately for all of the people in draught conditions to get a break.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8760818

I am praying too for all those in the droughts. The weather just seems to become more and more extreme.

Sandy - thrilled you will be getting a car so soon!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8760842

Things work out!
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8762293

It is really feeling like things are falling into place. I really hope it all falls together as good as it looks.

I am going to be missing in ACTION for a couple days. My DS, me,and my 2 DGDs are going to Galveston tomorrow and will be back Fri. We will have a lot of fun...Forgetting any stress of the upcoming custody hearing (Monday 22nd) I know my son is holding up with all of this but I know he is scared of the outcome. Please Pray for all of us.

Will miss you all but will have fun for all of us:)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8763544

prayers are for you and yours.. and have fun for us! :)

Thumbnail by joeswife

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8763563

In spring I lost almost all my broms but one stuck around. It has been on it's death bed but after moving it the thing has come back. It even is putting out a pup ^_^

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8763702

Wow Debra, you have a little bit of everything smooshed into that planter. Love it!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8763776

boss gave me the original planter, he didn't like it, I added some cuttings to it to root.. when I got it home and checked it out, it was flooded and covered with slugs and fungus gnats, ugh... so I cleaned it out and undid the pot plug.. it came from a florist, why were there slugs and gnats?
Anyway, my tropical partner buddy gal is gonna have a good time this swap.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8764280

[quote="joeswife"]Anyway, my tropical partner buddy gal is gonna have a good time this swap.
[/quote]

Debra - your boxes are always a treat!

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8765537

(original message sent to Susan via dmail)

See my Tilly Jungle. Found two giant Tilly's!

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 6:17 PM

Thumbnail by tikipod

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8765650

Evening everyone! Call me a slacker for not keeping up, but know you're all in my thoughts every day. It's been so nice here the past few days and have been taking advantage of our lower humidity and cooler temps, highs in the 80's and low's in the 60's. I might be 1/2 way finished cleaning up the gardens and still have a bunch of plants yet to get in the ground.

Welcome back, Ang :)

Manda, a leaf on the Sago Palm shot up right after you gave it to me and am so happy to see new ones emerging.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8766826

Froot - We are so glad for you both! :)

Thank you for the good news.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8766841

I just got me a Sago palm about a month ago. It followed me home from Home Depot. :0)
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8766890

Updated my wants and haves wishlist. Will have more for the swap, not just what is listed.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8767755

I'm just depressed with this weather. Hoping Sandy is having a good time away from home! We're breaking all kinds of heat records around these parts...looks like we're going to blow away the long-standing 100+ temps for the year. 1924 with a record 69 days. We're at 66 as of today with no end in sight. Every time they forecast the slightest possibility of rain, the storms literally shrivel whenever they get within 20 miles of Austin. Really sad. :( (We haven't had measurable rainfall since mid June - and that was the only shower all summer)
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8768534

We did have a great time. We ate seafood then spent Thursday evening on the beach then the hotel pool. Friday we hit the strand and spent 2 1/2 going store to store and their Mom wanted them by 1:00 but we still had a blast. It was really hot on the strand but want to go spend a day when it is cooler (or if it ever is cooler) We fed the birds and sea gulls 2 loaves of bread and some left overs from dinner and breakfast. It was a lot of fun.

I am really tired of this heat and watering every other day. We have had no measurable rain either in I don't know how long. It got really dark one day last week and thundered severely but no rain. I am lucky where I live in Mont Belvieu we haven't gotten any water restrictions (YET)

Got a headache today. Maybe need a nap.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8769821

It must be bad in Austin. They're finally enacting Stage 2 - watering once a week. (Still unlimited hand watering though)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8770831

Dang I don't know you folks do it. I don't think I could, or maybe I should say I don't think I want to. I love the desert, but living there would be a challenge.

On todays "free to a good home" list are (3) 4 inch pots of large Merritt's Pride Lacecap Hydrangeas. Let me know if you can use them and I will send them to you. It is time in my world to get this stuff out of here. I am digging up and throwing out containers that are too far gone to make them worth the water as well. That has produced 2 really nice big tubers of ornamental sweet potato vine in the pink, cream and green variety. Anyone want those??

Thanks for playing along !

Neener
candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

August 22, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8770954

Hi everyone, thanks for the compliments, I've loaded some pictures to my home page so check them out if you get a chance, I've been busy this last week my sons hamster had babies, we haven't had her long, so it wasn't intentional. I've had to order some more cages and am hoping to find homes for most of them, I'm not keeping them all! I can't wait to send out my buddies box, I've got big plans!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8771053

Ok candles4u, hamsters are not native to US but they aren't considered tropical...rofl.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8771097

[quote="candles4u"] I've been busy this last week my sons hamster had babies, am hoping to find homes for most of them. I can't wait to send out my buddies box, I've got big plans![/quote]

Hhmmm... wondering if your buddy should be looking at cages ^^_^^.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 22, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8771394

Neener, sent you a dmail...

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8771578

Neener, this summer is far and away above normal. I mean, it's usually pretty hot here in the summer, but then it usually rains too. :(
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8771718

Thanks to all the participants in the "free to a good home" deal. All the hydrangeas will be going to their happy places.

Carey I can only imagine what it is like to have those kinds of water restrictions. We've been dry here in the past, but not the combo of the heat and no rain like you all. Maybe a nice hurrican will blow by and help you guys out.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 22, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8771982

We were getting a little antsie yesterday, but now it looks like it may pass farther out from land, but a cat 3 storm can still have some bad winds, so we aren't clear yet. We are only 50 min. from the coast. We are going tomorrow to get our boat, golf cart and a few other things and bring back here. If it looks bad tomorrow, then we have to go back and board up the windows. Yuck! Hope we don't have to do that.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

August 23, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8772441

Missed out on a lotta stuff here. Don't know where the days go... Yes, I do. Watering. But I feel bad to complain in the presence of you folks from Texas. Looks like the story is flood or drought.
I am beginning to decide what I can carry over this winter. It is always a hard decision to let things go. Maybe I am a plant hoarder! I always put too many things in the greenhouse and that makes for housekeeping problems in there. Things do not get taken care of, get lost, and there is a tendency for bugs and fungus to spread when things are crowded together.
But yesterday what did I do? I was in Montgomery at Southern Homes and Gardens. Long ago I stopped going in the house store and only visit the greenhouse. They almost never fail to have something I want, but it usually ain't cheap. Yesterday they had a sale on for their "rewards" members (60% off) and I got a lovely pink double tropical hibiscus.
I guess it will be deer food though. They will not let the other ones I have grow or bloom as they keep them nibbled off. I set out some fall tomato plants about a week ago and the deer got in the bed and danced around and ate all but one of the tomato plants. This is in spite of the puny little fence I had around the small bed. I think it was very mean and hateful of them. They did not get that much to eat off those plants. They were just out to prove they could.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8773758

From the forecast tonight, Hurricane Irene has taken a turn North and looks like she's aiming right for NC's Outer Banks, our favorite place to go on vacation. I sure hope you miss the brunt of the storm, GA, but you can't ever be too careful. Stay safe!

Cudos to the Crystals...lol

Nice photos on your page, candles4u :)

And good for you, goldhillal, scoring plants. One of our nurseries has a rewards program too and one or two more visits, my loyalty card will be punched full, hoping to cash in the rewards with free Mums.

We have had a large veggie garden in the past, but decided this year to go with just a few Tomato, Squash and Cuke plants, and despite regular fertilizing and watering, they've just about fizzled out. Just when our Squash started blooming, Squash bugs invaded and had a field day. But I really have nothing to complain about compared to the rest of you on watering rations. I don't know how you dart your door in excessive heat, much less try to grow anything.

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8773866

It is rough Fruity. It is almost too hot to go out to turn the sprinkler on. About 50 miles from here they are on Stage 5 water restrictions. The city pools closed do to the lack of water. My city Mont Belvieu has 3 big wells and so far no restrictions here. Doesn't mean it won't happen.

This is horrible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJCqJuzeFUg&NR=1

I am not sure a hurricane could stop this. Looks like with the high pressure causing this will keep storms away. It is really sad for ranchers and farmers. And of course us as it is affecting prices of everything.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8773875

If there's anybody lurking who'd like to join us, our cut-off date is next Wednesday, August 31st.

Come on over and stretch out in our new room:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1215773/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America