AuthorContent
rouge21
Canada
Canada
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8743953

I bought several of this plant in May and June. They are all healthy green but only one has produced flowers. But one reason I choose this plant is that it is advertised as being very much a perennial (unlike many other Dianthus).

http://www.plantdelights.com/Dianthus-barbatus-Heart-Attack-Perennial-Perennial-Sweet-William/productinfo/4368/

Of course I am wondering if any of you have had experience with this particular variety.
Michael_Ronayne
Nutley, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8744062

In the spring of last year I started seeds for a mixed collection of Dianthus barbatus (Sweet William) in a large pot. They grew to several inches in height until they went dormant for the winter but never flower. With the coming of spring they started growing vigorously and the flower stalks reached over 18 inches in height, producing quite a display of flowers. The flowers set seeds which I harvested. After the Dianthus barbatus finished flowering about half of the plants died and the rest went back to being small plants of several inches in height. I suspect the survivors are perennials but will have to wait until next year to find out. I am planning to start some of the seeds I saved next week.

I would be very interested in your experience with Dianthus barbatus 'Heart Attack'. I suspect you will not see much action until next spring. Did the plant which did flower set seeds? If there are seeds, do you know if they will breed true?

Mike
rouge21
Canada
Canada
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8746300

Michael, I purchased 4 of these "Heart Attack" as healthy (albeit small) plants in 4.5" pots in May. One did grow to bloom quite well for several weeks but hasnt bloomed since. The other 3 have grown in width but with very little height and no flowers.

At this point I am just hoping they will establish enough to weather my winter.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dianthus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
the Dianthus are Blooming! Weezingreens 20 Aug 25, 2008 2:26 AM
Dividing Dianthus 2zeus 19 Mar 5, 2007 3:08 PM
Dianthus at HD FLStu 13 Apr 18, 2007 10:29 PM
Dainty Dianthus Shirley1md 16 Jun 25, 2007 1:14 AM
Need dianthus for a very sunny bed silverfluter 22 Oct 22, 2010 8:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America