Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Shrubby Hydrangea for Northern Gardeners: Nikko Blue

Communities > Forums > Article: Shrubby Hydrangea for Northern Gardeners
bookmark
Forum: Article: Shrubby Hydrangea for Northern GardenersReplies: 1, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
suzebrown
New York, NY

August 8, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8744043

Nothing beats Nikko Blue if you're a northeastern gardener. I grow one on a Manhattan terrace 20 floors up and it never fails me.
JennyWren102
Mason, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8745372

Growing it in a pot... Hmmm... Maybe that's what I should do.

I have a small Nikko Blue which flowers pink if it flowers at all, which isn't every year. I planted it under the dripline of the center of three 100-foot-tall Norway Spruce trees. The other two trees have since blown down during a storm in '08. It's a sorta dry spot (competing with the tree for resources) and gets afternoon sun--not the best location, I'll admit, but in my own defense it was shady and moist when I first planted it. Still, it's also fairly well-protected by the tree in winter. Here in Z5a it dies down to the ground every year so I've started caging it in the fall and loading it up with dried leaves until spring.

So in my experience it's been a fairly delicate shrub which only grows to one meter, flowers poorly and lets me know that I should really have tested my soil before planting the poor thing so many years ago in spite of thinking that the soil would "of course" be acidic. It's a pretty pink, though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Shrubby Hydrangea for Northern Gardeners Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you, Todd pirl 14 Dec 14, 2008 1:25 PM
H. macrocephala? plantfreak78 2 Dec 8, 2008 5:43 PM
Annabelle Hydrangea oldmandan 3 Dec 8, 2008 11:01 PM
Great info geraldine87 0 Dec 8, 2008 1:23 PM
My lovelies from zone 3 lynnann50 2 Dec 8, 2008 10:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America