Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kerni
Deerfield, WI

August 8, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8744171

Great info, Thanks! My Hydrangea Macrophylla Mariesii Variegata has yet to produce a flower (Madison Wisc zone 4-5?). This is year 3 for both of my plants. They die back to the ground every winter. The foliage is beautiful. The plants are about 2 1/2 feet tall and wide now but no signs of any flowers and it is the first week of August. What should I do?
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

August 10, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8748482

I made the mistake of buying this variety from my local garden shop (I am in zone 5). I later learned that It is a variety that blooms on old wood, so the dying back every year keeps it from ever blooming or getting very big. So, technically, yes it is "hardy" here but not in the way I assumed!

I've kept mine for over 5 years just for the variegated foliage. This last winter, which was milder than our norm and also had prolonged snow cover (also not normal here) must not have killed the stems completely to ground level, because I did get one blossom from a branch that arose from the base of a dead stem -- the first ever.

Maybe if you tried extraordinary winter protection. I am going to, now that I see there might be hope!
Kerni
Deerfield, WI

August 14, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8756726

Thank you. I may try moving one to a more protected spot up close to the house.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Shrubby Hydrangea for Northern Gardeners Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you, Todd pirl 14 Dec 14, 2008 1:25 PM
H. macrocephala? plantfreak78 2 Dec 8, 2008 5:43 PM
Annabelle Hydrangea oldmandan 3 Dec 8, 2008 11:01 PM
Great info geraldine87 0 Dec 8, 2008 1:23 PM
My lovelies from zone 3 lynnann50 2 Dec 8, 2008 10:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America