Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Pests and Diseases: Creeping Jenny Disease

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 8, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8744179

Not sure what has been affecting this. It started about one month ago. At that time I cut out an affected area about two feet by two feet. Did okay until a few days ago. In fact new growth appeared where old was cut out. Now it's spread to about a 4 foot by two foot area. It's watered every five days or so, gets partial sun this time of year. Always stays moist. Been hot and... yes muggy at night.

See next pic for close up.

Thanks

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8744180

Close up.

Thumbnail by kdfisher

adchix
Ponce de Leon, FL

August 13, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8754874

Do you have a dog?
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8757075

No dog. Just a local dog every few days, but he likes containers to pee on. Besides he couldn't get to that spot this time of the year. Too much to navigate over and through. I've come to live with it. Would have been nice if the area remained full all year. Growing back already.
adchix
Ponce de Leon, FL

August 15, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8758737

It's very pretty.
HydroPinke
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8761997

There don't seem to be many problems associated with lysimachia nummularia. Best guess I see is an overwatering issue, which can lead to secondary problems. Have you had cool summer? I would check the soil moisture level before you water the next few times and removed all dead and possibly diseased plants & roots to prevent it from spreading.

Check out this link, scroll all the way to the bottom and read the parts on drowning.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/hortanswers/detailproblem.cfm?PathogenID=215

Good luck!
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8764699

Reason for watering is lack of rain. Only four inches since May 26. It drains quite well and the area stays moist this time of year with increased shade. That has led me to cut back and eliminate watering the last three weeks. I don't think it's over watering as it's now showing it's ugly head in a large container that gets watered once per week. Cool? Hot by comparison. But I have very poor airflow in the area as it's surrounded by large hills. Kind of like a mini valley amongst woods. That could be a cause as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thumbnail by kdfisher

back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8769630

I'll say there's been a lack of rain and I have a similar problem with creeping jenny. Actually I also have blue star creeper in the same area showing similar bare spots. In addition there is some ajuga, some of which I've lost due to crown rot fungus which I first noticed last year. As a result of the fungus I did not water the area much until recently and at this point I'm thinking I should water more. I am looking to see if the laurentia will spread back into the bare areas with watering. Well, the creeping jenny too. I finally got a sprinkle on the garden tonight but the moisture situation is getting desprate around here as it must be in Ellijay, which is not too far away.
yvetteportland
Rivergrove, OR

March 5, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9030971

I'd agree with Back40. I have the same problem as KD with my 'Aurea" Creeping Jenny in Oregon. It's gorgeous in the rainy springtime, but once the dry season starts, I get big brown patches, and by winter, the whole area is brown, in spite of light watering 3x/week.
It's unlikely to be overwatering. Jenny is often recommended as a pondside plant, and I found this on Plant Guide on line:
" This cultivar can withstand damper soils than many other types of ground covers and can tolerate limited foot traffic. Grow in a moist, but well-drained soil, rich in organic matter. Soil should not dry out in summer. Full sun or partial shade, but color is best in full sun."

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America