Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Homesteading: Saving Tomatoes

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 8, Views: 170
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8744848

I have recieved a windfall of tomatoes, gifts from 3 different people, bless their hearts. I lost nearly all my tomatoes to blight. I don't want to waste any of these tomatoes so I need to preserve them. I do not know how to can and I do not have the equipment it requires so I will have to freeze he tomatoes. What is the best way to do that? I have never tried it before.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8747572

Congratulations on the good score. I've not frozen tomatoes so not much help but I've never used a pressure cooker to can tomatoes. If you have jars/lids and waterbath canner you can put them up.

Wish I had had a better crop, I was wanting to dry some this year but no extra.

I can look up the freezing info but am sure someone will be along to offer assistance.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8748030

Congrats on your gift.
I've frozen alot of tomatoes. They have a better flavor.
I use a canner full of boiling water dump the whole tomatoes in. after the water returns to boiling I dip them out with a drainer, Than immediately drop them into another pot(or the sink) filled with ice water. The skins will slip right off. Then i stuff them into quart freezer bags. and freeze. There is only me to cook for so you might elect to use larger bags. I don't add salt.
Vickie
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8752857

Thanks so much for this info. I am hoping to get to them tomorrow. Been cleaning out the freezer today. Found gumbo from '05!!!
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 13, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8753302

I've googled a lot of gardening information and for some reason, 'ehow' dot com has come up with a lot of stuff. look there. :)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8857851

This is way too late for Cajun, but I have a tomato machine that separates the skin and seeds from the pulp; they're not expensive and they make the job a lot easier. I cut my tomatoes up and cook them first until they start to break down a bit, and then I put them through the machine. After that I cook them again and reduce them by about half, before putting them in quart freezer bags. A friend just scoops off the thin liquid at the top but I prefer to keep it all! Each quart bag holds about a pound of the purée. I don't add any spices or herbs to them because I prefer to wait until I know what I'm using it for.
Ldestructo
Morganza, LA

March 24, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9055690

if ya have another windfall this year, know this, you can just throw them in straight off the vine and dip them in boiling water to slip the skins when you need them. Use those first and save the bagged ones for later. It beats letting them spoil cuz ya dont have time to fool with em!
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9277597

no luck with my materz this year too dry grrrrrrr
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9330224

We used to dip green tomatoes in vinegar water, dry and layer with brown paper (from grocery bags) or newspaper in a bushel basket or cardboard box (not more than two layers) and keep in the basement. When we wanted to use some we would bring them upstairs and put in a box with a couple of apples or (if we had any) a banana. Usually we used apples because we had them in fairly large suppy. They would start ripening slowly, so we always had some tomatoes in some stage of ripening. We could usually have red tomotoes for salads (or just eating) until around the first week of January, or so. I loved doing this because I loved fried green tomatoes and this extended my fried green tomato eating for several more weeks. I also just love tomatoes. We also stored apples, beets, onions, celery and carrots in the basement. We had an old bathtub that I put some clean river sand in. Whenever we use beens, celery or carrots I would take the top slice (or the bottom for celery) and plant it in that tub and a new beet, carrot or celery would start growing. It was alway nice to have those beet greens for salad or a vegetable. We lived out in the country in southern Michigan so we didn't get as much in the way of fresh produce in the winter time back then

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America