Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Dianthus: Dianthus arenarius

Communities > Forums > Dianthus
bookmark
Forum: DianthusReplies: 7, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8745475

Has anyone grown these? I started som seeds last year and they don't seem like they will flower anytime soon. They seem like slow growers here. One I planted is only an inch wide. Not sure if my soil is too acidic here it average's 6.7 ph I'd be happy to hear comments about this if you have grown it.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/870/

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8763577

I hope you get some comments on this plant, Meredith79. I've not grown them before, but I'm interested in seeing if others have and exactly how long the bloom season is for them. They seem like a very nice plant and are small enough to be tucked into small places in the garden.

Linda
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2011
12:39 AM

Post #8764125

I winter sowed the D. arenarius in January, they are still in big pots, but they're 4-5 inch wide now.
They didn't bloom yet, probabely have to wait until next year.

Are the pots big enough to let them grow? If the pots are too small, they will grow very slow.

Jonna

Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8765198

I still have no sign of blooms this year. I suppose it's not that abnormal for them to wait until next year to flower. Some perennials do take 3 years before they flower when grown from seed so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. I guess I'm just being impatient. I am really looking forward to them, they are supposed to be nicely scented and I love the smell of other Dianthus.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8765205

Jonna the only concern I'd have with growing in pots is whether the potting mix is too acidic. They are supposed to prefer alkaline soil. If they seem to be doing fine I wouldn't worry. They say hardy to zone 3 in the PF so they should be hardy enough to stay in the pots through winter. If you have a ph tester just check the ph if you aren't sure.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8779775

Linda,

If you're afraid your potting mix is too acid, repot them in soil of your garden.
Plant files say that they are best in:
6.1 to 6.5 (mildly acidic)
6.6 to 7.5 (neutral)
7.6 to 7.8 (mildly alkaline)
7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

I never tested the ph in my garden. My garden is rather big and has different kind of soils (from sandy to clay) . I just try to grow plants and see how they (not) survive. Most hardy plants do very well here. The only ones I have problems with are the Amaranthus species, so I stopped trying to grow them. I had some small successes with these plants, but in general they don't grow very well here.
My D. arenarius plants are still doing very well. I grew a lot of Dianthus species, but it never happened to me I had to wait for blooming longer than the second year (so about 18 months after sowing).
But other perennials indeed sometimes take 3 years to bloom. Still waiting for the blooms of Baptisia australis that I sowed 2.5 years ago.

Jonna
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8779941

Thanks for sharing! : )
You could have a longer season than me too... Even though our zones are very close, I'm thinking the hardiness zone isn't a good indicater of our growing seasons. We have a growing season that's typically from Late May to Early October in the best years. :) So only about 4 or 5 months, 5 being in a good long summer.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9167379

These are blooing for the first time this year. : ) Out of three plants only one has a lot of blooms. One still hasn't flowered. And the last only got one flower on it. Guess they are one of those perennials that are slow to establish.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dianthus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
the Dianthus are Blooming! Weezingreens 20 Aug 25, 2008 2:26 AM
Dividing Dianthus 2zeus 19 Mar 5, 2007 3:08 PM
Dianthus at HD FLStu 13 Apr 18, 2007 10:29 PM
Dainty Dianthus Shirley1md 16 Jun 25, 2007 1:14 AM
Need dianthus for a very sunny bed silverfluter 22 Oct 22, 2010 8:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America