Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gingers: If you like Hedychium, please read

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 4, Views: 126
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 8, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8745690

Hi all,

I am trying to gather some feedback for a Hedychium researcher and friend in India. Answers to the questions below will help them decide on how to proceed with possible new introductions. They have access to many species and forms that are not yet in general cultivation. I'll compile the info from here and elsewhere and forward it to them. Feel free to mention any other qualities that you feel important, and/or describe the perfect butterfly Ginger.

Q1: favorite flower Color
Q2: flower shape /size
Q3: inflorescence type. A cone like H coronarium or spike like H coccinuem
Q4: foliage type: wide leaves, narrow, etc
Q5: preferred height
Q6: how important is fragrance
Q7: what features of current species/hybrids to you find unattractive or problematic etc

Any other input would be appreciated.

Tim Chapman
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8750365

Mmm. This will take some time for me. Only thing is- I haven't found a Ginger I don't like. Most importent for me is fragrant and color.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 16, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8760217

Scents #!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 8, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8921574

Not sure if you are still collecting 'data'
What got me started with gingers was the scent of the butterfly ginger. SO delicious! This is the first year I have had anything other than butterfly - I am hoping they are as fragrant as the one that got me hooked.
If they could come up with something that was "dog repellent" that would be great. My dogs love to eat them :/?

I presently have 12 different variety of ginger growing in post in my kitchen & dining room. Getting excited as I re'c them a few months ago and they are mostly all sprouting. One is already 4 ft tall! I think I lost 2 to root rot. I may have been able to save part of the rhizome. Time will tell.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 25, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8942294

Ginger likes cool climates better than hot ones. Here is one, in August, in San Francisco, CA. In the background.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America