Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; How to Make a Planter From an Old Chair: This article is great!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; How to Make a Planter From an Old Chair
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; How to Make a Planter From an Old ChairReplies: 3, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

August 9, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8746646

I once bought a kiddie pool (5' round) so I could have a raised garden. I punched holes in it, put several bags of potting soil and a couple of bags (too much, really) of cow manure in it and was going to have a small veggie garden. My darling husband affectionally (well, maybe not) refers to it as the "cess pool." So I planted flowers instead. One of my neighbors has a claw-foot bathtub sitting by their driveway. I am watching and waiting for it (1) to get stolen, (2) to be moved down to the side of the road, or (3) to have something planted in it. If I had something like that, I would turn it into a water garden. (I've also had that thought with abandoned toilet bowls out by the side of the road - two areas to plant in!) But if I brought home retrieved items, my darling husband would have a fit! I see potential; he sees trash. (Bless his heart, he doesn't have a gardening bone in his body.) I'm a great gardener in my mind; in reality, I'm a short, fat, senior citizen who can't dig a hole without passing out! I loved what you did with the chair (with a bunch of help, I see... hm-m-m!). I once read an article about having a bed of flowers... in a bed frame! I would love to do something funky, bohemian, creative like that. The chair sounds feasible, however. I don't think darling husband could object too much (providing I did the work). In the meantime, I compromise by having a container garden. I can handle those without too much stress. Plus, they do look pretty, especially with different colors of clay pots. I'm looking forward to your forthcoming "frugal gardening" installments.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8746749

I've seen the claw footed tubs with water gardens in them and they look splendid! They're getting harder to come by these days, but I've got my eye out for one...and it doesn't have to be 'bathroom-worthy'. something along the lines of this little chair would be just fine.

Stay tuned for more installments each month...from the amount of D-mail I've received, this series is a big hit and we aim to please. Projects will be a mix of many different frugal activities and if you have any suggestions for me, don't hesitate to let me know.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 23, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9284016

As usual, I am late in discovering these neat threads. I love the chair and plan on making planters from two have here. I've been saying that for so long and doing nothing about it. Great pictures!!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9284661

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; How to Make a Planter From an Old Chair Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clever re-use! podster 2 Aug 6, 2011 1:34 PM
Very Nice rampbrat 8 Jan 7, 2012 2:38 PM
Love the shabby chic chair moonrose777 1 Aug 8, 2011 5:33 AM
Ideas needed! mayabeez 3 Aug 22, 2011 10:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America