-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8749514

We're getting lots of big ripe non-bell sweet peppers now. I picked these this afternoon, and that's the amount that's been ripening every two days - three gallons off, I think, 20 plants. Lots of green peppers still on the plants, too - we're filling up the freezer.

From the top, these are Planet, Gypsy, and Carmen. As usual, Gypsy is the most productive for me.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8750585

Very pretty Im sure they taste as good as they look.
Lulabelle1
East Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8758373

Very Nice. I am not having much luck with peppers this year. They are not setting fruit. I am still hopeful.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8770974

I am so excited with my Gypsies! It looked like they weren't going to do a thing for me, then all of a sudden they had a growth spurt and never looked back. Right now they are still all that yellow-ish green, but there are quite a few of those babies out there. I can hardly wait to taste them! Next year I will have to give those Carmen's a try, too. I get killer quantities from my hot peppers, but have never had much luck with my bells. How nice to have a "sweet" alternative!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8770981

WOW Ozark.
Well done.
My pepper production has stop during those crazy heat days over 100F.
But now ... I think they are starting again .
I can see flowers ... finally ...
Great job !

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8781206

Wow a very nice display of peppers. This is my first year attempting pepper plants. My bells took a break but are now starting back up, I'm having a real problem with either birds or squirrels eating them before I can pick them, though. My jalapenos are doing terrific and didn't seem to slack off very much this summer, bunch of new blooms on them. I wonder if the Gypsy or Carmen peppers would do well in Florida? I'd like to try some sweet peppers next year...but bells seem to be a real challenge in Florida.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
2:50 AM

Post #9073729

(Question for anybody) Are you able to find the Carmen or Gypsy pepper plants at your local stores or did you grow them from seed?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9073931

Nice looking peppers. I'm envious. My plants are just getting their second set of true leaves and will be transplanted for the first time in the next couple of days.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9073986

I grow all my peppers and tomatoes from seed. I've never seen Carmen or Gypsy plants for sale at nurseries here.

Doug9345, I'm at about the same stage, my tomatoes are already transplanted and under lights and I'm close to doing the first transplant of my pepper plants. This year I'm growing Carmen and Gypsy (of course), as well as Corno di Toro (supposed to be sweet, but there are reports in PlantFiles of it being hot). Also Highlander, a mild Anaheim-type from Johnny's Selected Seeds (for chiles rellenos), and Italian Pepperoncini (I like those pickled).

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9074026

My peppers are outside and making fruits already ... weeee

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9074175

And my little pepper plants are only just now getting their first real leaves...

Okay, guess I'll order seeds for next year then. The bell peppers I have been trying to grow from seed for several years now just take too long to get big enough before the hot weather comes. I usually end up buying pepper plants to put in if we want to actually get any peppers. What is the secret?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9074202

Start the seeds earlier? Keep them in a warm environment they like warmth and wont get leggy like a tomato plants. I have never found pepper plants to be affected by our heat, but they can take some afternoon shade.

Ozark-how many times do you transplant?

This message was edited Apr 10, 2012 1:48 PM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9074358

Ladypearl,
I started my Pepper seedlings on January 10th, indoor with the heating mat set at 85F. They did germinated 3-4 days max.
I transplanted outside them on April 3rd. I will soon have lots of peppers like every year.
I feed them ever two weeks with a tbsp of Epson Salt.
Good luck to you.

ps. in the picture ... one of my last year harvest ...

Thumbnail by drthor

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9076682

Wow! That is an impressive harvest, dthor!

1lisac, I have a heat mat and don't have any trouble germinating the pepper seed. But the plants just don't grow after that. How long should they be kept on the heat mat once they have germinated? How soon should they be moved to bigger pots? How soon should they be given the Epsom salt?

And the ones I have potted up and moved out onto the porch are getting eaten by something. I though it was our guineas but even the plants that are out by the garage (on the other side of the fence from the guineas) are getting their little leaves chewed off. I am very discouraged about growing peppers from seed right now. They never grow their next set of leaves.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9077240

LP-heat do you start your seeds in?
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9077257

I'm sorry - not sure I know what you are asking.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9077725

LP good because I don't understand either. Lol it's this stupid iPad. I have to check everything I type. It corrects everything even if I don't want it to. Lol

What do you start your seeds in?
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9078296

Yep, spell check can sometimes make you say things you didn't mean to...

Well I heard that peppers don't like peat moss so we bought this kind of potting soil that is mostly composted bark and I mixed it with vermiculite.

What do you recommend?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9078367

I usually just use Jiffy soilless seed starter, because its easy to get. Ive read that peppers dont like peat, but Ive started them in peat pellets and never had a problem. I dont recommend a potting soil to start them, but to pot up into. Maybe somebody else can give you their recommendations about starting them in potting soil.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9079536

Thank you 1lisac, I'll put that in my notes (Jiffy soiless seed starter) to use the next time I try peppers. It seems that I must be doing something else wrong, however. They come up just fine, look real good, but they just never grow. Perhaps I took them out to the porch too soon to get sunlight. Is it better to keep them inside under grow lights?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9079702

Im really busy ATM and dont feel very good (EDS and OA are acting up). I will be more then happy to answer your questions as Im sure other will too.

But first I suggest you go back the pepper page and click on the 1st thread (sticky) and do down to the 3rd post (I think) and click on the link. The link will take you to Starting Peppers written by Critter. All the info you should need is there, but if you have any questions please ask. If you have a heating mat you are 3/4 of the way there.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9079714

She even uses plastic lids as seed trays. I didnt realize anybody else was as cheap as myself. LOL
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9079812

"I didnt realize anybody else was as cheap as myself."
-------------------------------

I am. As stated, I start seeds in Jiffy Mix in plastic egg cartons. Now, ya want the egg cartons WITHOUT flat tops - the ones with recessed egg cells on both the top and bottom. That way you can cut the two halves apart, glue them to a plywood base, and have 24 seed-starting cells per carton.

AND when I buy a couple dozen eggs to start seeds in the cartons, it's a great excuse to talk my wife into making deviled eggs and potato salad (both of which I love). C'mon honey, we've got all these dang eggs ... hehe
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9080153

I have chickens for eggs. Its funny to see somebody else use the plastic tops of aluminum baking pans to start seeds. They do work well, hold their shape and are washable.

I even use strawberry containers as mini greenhouses. I start 1000s of seedlings a year. And when when people ask me what I use I say whatever is around.

Ozark you use Jiffy also, do you have any tips to give LP? Critter covers just about everything IMHO.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9080476

Okay, I'll read that sticky. I appreciate the ideas - thanks!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9081050

I just printed it off. Its got some good info but ask any questions you might have, Not sure I can answer but somebpdy will be able to.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9081750

Okay, thank you.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9086228

First pepper harvest of 2012 !
I will use them to make Etoufee' this weekend !

I never had peppers so early in the season !

Thumbnail by drthor

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
1:25 AM

Post #9087094

That's great dthor! You are blessed!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9117886

Lady Pearl- your humidity is lower and you are closer to sea level - peppers like growing in steamy heat, when you set them out, crowd them a bit, plant them on a raised area above a trench that you can irrigate so the roots get wet and the soil around the stem stays dryer, I used to set up an area that was wrapped with plastic to keep the wind off of them and enclose them while I grew em,
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9119360

We sure would like to have steamy heat but it has been rather dry here for several weeks - need rain real bad. So will city water be okay for them (little pepper plants)? I will take extra measures to keep the wind off of them. Thanks for the tip, Kittriana.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9119495

City water has chlorine-which will dissipate if SPRAYED roughly into a container, unless the water system uses a different method of purifying the water (name of which escapes me atm), salinity I don't remember that area having salinity issues with the water, but if you aren't on a well you can ask the water company to send you the copy of the water analysis they are required to perform every so often. Can set tins of water around the plants maybe? The wind sucks the moisture out of the ground, even a picket fence type wind break might help, yes the winds are fierce. I am trying a little pepper named Salsa, haven't eaten what I have picked yet, but the aroma of the pepper is enough to make you hungry. the pic is getting ready to drive west into Albuquerque, think the winds were up to 60mph and apt to go to 70mph later, over the hill and across to the east side of Albuquerque was a much different scene-no sand scouring

Thumbnail by kittriana

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9132069

Kittrinana, we have had my in-laws here from Georgia for a visit so been away from the computer since the 11th. Thank you for the suggestions! Yep, you are right about the wind being a problem here. We have planted bushes (thuja) for windbreaks on the north side of the gardens (I like to grow greens and lettuce all winter if the weather will let me.) Next thing we need to find some plants to put on the south side that grows fast and is decidous since we want sunlight in the winter but want to block the wind and some sun in the summer. Any ideas? I already grow castor bean plants but they get really tall (big) and block too much sun if there is rain.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9132070

BTW, that wind storm looks serious (glad Texas doesn't usually have them like that!) Where did you get the seed for the Salsa peppers? Do they taste as good as they smelled?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9132124

Salsa smelled sweet and had a bite! Was good tho,and it wasn't seed I admit to a shortcut due to no time, it was from either Lowes or Home Depot, I believe, can't figure out how to load pix from iPhone but they both were carrying 'heirloom' sets this spring. Hmmm, edible types, or just floral? You have that hi plains/desert area there to the north, deep dry heat in summer- no oaks, pines or cedars on the south, chuckl, I' d be setting figs and summer plums over there. Just me.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9133921

Okay, thanks Kittriana! : )
Joyous1
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

June 26, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9182778

Your peppers are absolutely gorgeous!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America