Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Brugmansias in August......promise of things to come.

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 218, Views: 1,239
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 10, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8749658

I thought that I would start a new thread with my Sanguinea...
Just bought it for $12, yippee...
It has lots of buds and new growth...the ticket said 2 mtrs, they obviously haven't seen the one in the gardens...lol

It looks very much like the one from the Geelong Gardens, so if my cutting doesn't grow..no probs.
Now all the growers who want to try the Sphaeros have a Sanguinea, so we should be able to produce some interesting colours with our US seeds and our Sangs...

Looking forward to all the hybridizing to come...

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1199920/

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 10, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8749685

Well done, Dianne: you must be thrilled! (And it has a flower, what a bonus.)
Did you buy it from a local nursery?

Scratched my head over the reference to Sphaeros, but a search found Alan's home page at http://hurstwoodbrugmansia.blogspot.com/2011/06/he-are-couple-of-new-sphaeros-i-have.html and the reference to Sphaerocarpium, 'which includes Sanguinea, Arborea, Flava and Vulcanicola'. Obviously I haven't been paying attention! Promise of many exciting things to come in the colder gardens here ...

PS Hurry up and get some pollen onto that bloom!

This message was edited Aug 11, 2011 1:29 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 10, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8749744

Dianne, thats a lovely sang. I just wish nurseries around here would stock one or two for me to buy. I have only ever seen a couple of brugs for sale last eyar. They were so awful looking, I wonder if anyone bought one. No sangs though.
Good luck with it.
Cestrum, one should not look at Alans site. Its too much of "I want one of those "

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 10, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8749753

LOL, sorry cestrum, I like the way Alan uses "Sphaeros"...better than "cold group" to me...and he is the expert.

I just walked in to this little nursery that I go to in Portarlington and there it was...I couldn't buy one for love nor money in any of the other nurseries...
My cutting will probably grow now...that's usually the way...

It's the most interesting nursery, I was living in Indented Heads when he opened and it's just a bare block about house sized, right behind the shops in Port...you might know Portarlington?...
Jam packed with all sorts of wonders...he buys from local people who bring in plants for him as well as pro growers...he has a shed and high wire all around the property...He isn't there all the time so this morning he had a young girl taking the money..he does landscaping as well...
He is on the lookout for a Cantua buxifolia bicolour for me...he sold me the pink last year and it's just about to flower.

Re the pollen onto the Sanguinea...the *&(&^%%#$%& snails are back in force here..there was a big snail up the corolla tube eating the anthers...

Thanks Jean, you have cuttings too, don't you...If they fail and mine grows you can have it...
Dianne.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 10, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8749757

Excellent buy Dianne. I can just hear Brian cutting crook about ours. About 12" high measely looking plants and not a flower or bud in sight at the time. Is your Arborea flowering? Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 10, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8749765

Jean and Dianne: you live in colder climes, so what is the problem with growing sanguineas? I know from my experience in sowing them in Brisbane during autumn that they germinate readily from seed (in that climate at that time of year), so I assume germination isn't a problem (esp. in your climates). Is slow/sickly growth after germination the problem ie failing to thrive?
PS If I were that grower, I would have *electrified* wire around my property LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 10, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8749769

cestrum, I don't know anyone who has grown them from seed...except Lucas.
I've just haven't had the seed, probably Jean and Colleen are the same.
We know that they grow ok, they are in lots of gardens around here.
I tried to grow one from a cutting about a year ago...no go.
Lucas has since told us that he strikes them easily in Winter, so we are trying that..
Mine is still ok after about 6 weeks...

Most of the population of Port is too old to get over the fence...the younger ones go swimming.

Colleen, I don't have an Arborea...I will plant some seeds from Chrissie this Spring.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2011 4:03 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 10, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8749775

Isn't that strange? I couldn't get a sanguinea to grow from a few (purloined) cuttings from (ahem, let's just call it a public park in Melb) but the seeds germinated like grass! (They came from a NZ grower and they definitely were fresh because she told me that she had been waiting 6 months for them to germinate! Alas, I no longer have her details.)

Perhaps you had old seeds? Chrissy's arborea seeds germinated readily for me (but they've been slow to grow and some have died) but some I'd bought from an Australian seller failed to germinate: 100% failure rate. (And they were sown in several pots and kept in different parts of the garden.) I wonder if you have the same problem?

... No need for an electric fence then ;-)

This message was edited Aug 11, 2011 3:03 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 10, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8749782

cestrum, I had to correct my last post to read that I have never had any Sanguinea seed..
My Arborea seed will be my first attempt to grow those seeds...fingers crossed...
Jean has some growing too...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 10, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8749813

Cute plant Dianne, nice buy. :)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 10, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8749817

Thanks Lucas,
I just planted the Arborea seeds, Chrissie...
Counting down...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 10, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8749819

It's a shame Lucas doesn't have any spare sanguinea seeds, given that they've germinated like weeds in his backyard.
I know I have (old) photos of my old sanguinea seedlings but my new operating system can't find them ... This is what happens when MS thinks it knows what you want to do and screws up a perfectly working function (such as search)! God it's frustrating--I KNOW they're there!!

Meanwhile, here's a new photo of one of my Old Apricot x Fernando seedlings. As it was growing like a hanging plant, I decided to plant it in a hanging basket :-) (Only because I have another healthy seedling of this cross anyway.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 10, 2011
11:46 PM

Post #8749822

Here are two more of the Fernando crosses: Old Apricot at left, Musketeer at right. Look at the difference in leaf colour, despite them being grown in the same greenhouse with the same light levels. These too had a trailing habit developed in the low-light of another greenhouse, so I've cut them back and planted those trailers as cuttings. Not that I need any clones of these two, but I couldn't just throw them away :-)

How are others going with their Fernando-cross seedlings?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 10, 2011
11:58 PM

Post #8749824

Cestrum Lucas did have seeds to spare and shared them with all who asked for them. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 11, 2011
12:05 AM

Post #8749826

Good stuff ... but what's happened to the seedlings?
I mean, how have they germinated?

Oh no Dianne, did you forgo the chance to grow from (lovely fresh) seed?

This message was edited Aug 11, 2011 5:19 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 11, 2011
12:37 AM

Post #8749841

I meant pre Lucas cestrum, when I said that we had never had sang seeds before.
I didn't ask for any seeds but as far as I know everyone's seeds are doing well.

In relation to Fernando's seeds...mine are about 15cm high and growing ok, but very yellow...like their parent, I don't think that they have adjusted to the cold..
I have 3...2 with Musketeer and 1 with OA...they were doing ok till a snail ate the top of one and the cold hit them.
Fernando had buds just before Winter but it was too late...
He is in the ground now so we will see how he goes...

This message was edited Aug 11, 2011 6:41 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 11, 2011
12:42 AM

Post #8749844

Yes, foolish me.
But I didn't think that I would be growing the Sphaeros at all,
Then I got hooked by the crosses that Alan has made...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 11, 2011
1:18 AM

Post #8749850

Dianne my seeds of the sang haven't germinated as yet. I only planted 4 as I have so much else going on and because they are so fresh I thought that they will be good til March April next year and I'll get them in early. I still have 9 vulsas growing. 1 Knightii X has come through but no sight of the rest as yet. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 11, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8749852

Colleen, I think that you mentioned you weren't going to plant many...
So many posts so poor a memory...
I am thrilled that your Vulsas are growing so well, I wonder how long they will take to flower?
Dianne.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 11, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8749877

I got 4 more lovely plants,Culebra, peach and pink, Sacred Sunset, plants to add to the collection, got to start some where. only got them today.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 11, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8750612

**♫♪ღ░H░A░P░P░Y░ღ░B░I░R░T░H​░D░A░Y░ ღ♪♫**
Happy Birthday To You♪♫**.♥.**♫♪Happy Birthday To You♪♫*
*.♥.**♫♪Happy Birthday,♪♫**.♥.***♫♪ღ​ღ♪♫**
Happy Birthday To You♪♫**.♥.**♫♪and many more♪♫**
.♥.*♫♪Have a great day :O)♪♫**.♥.*...Have a wonderful Day Wayne ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 11, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8750809

I have 6 little sangs now in the mini greenhouse. The cuttings form Lucas are looking great too. Not a lot of growth but still nice and green My arboreas are both looking well and are around 3'high. I am going to put one in the ground and leave the other one in a pot.
today will be moving day for some of the brugs. I am intending to put some in the ground while the smaller ones will stay in pots.
I had to move 3 yesterday so I could get the orchids and their bench out.
I had to drag & tug as there were roots in the ground. Alphonse is getting buds again. He certainly a spindly grower but flowers well.
I need to put him against the trellis on the epi house. I will train his spindly branches as an espalier.
BB is going to be fun to move with all those very large branches and what must be lots of roots in the ground. .
Cestrum, I have 3 seedlings from seed Chrissy sent me when she had the seed store going . . One is a Musketeer x Fernando . another is Domain x Bucks Fizz and one is marked as yours, Knightii x OA.
They are growing slowly and one is very yellow too. Should pick up now we have had some sun.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 11, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8750820

Happy Birthday Wayne...we miss you.

Gena, you will have a forest soon...lol
Don't forget to feed them up, they are very hungry plants.

Come over to the tearoom thread and tell us about Cairns.

Dianne.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 11, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8750837

If I could grow sanguineas, I would have taken up Lucas's offer of seeds for sure! As it is, my arboreas are not crash hot. Some I lost as seedlings and the one I planted out in autumn has died. The healthiest one is in a pot and about a foot high, so your three-foot arboreas sound really good, Jean. (I'll persevere with my arborea seedlings but, if they all die, I won't replace them--there are too many other brugs that grow well here.)

I wonder if the Old Apricot x Fernando crosses will all have single apricot flowers like the pod parent? It might be only the second-generation of this cross that produces something really different (or more like the pollen donor.) OA seems to exert such a dominant--you could say domineering!--influence as a pod parent ...

Yes, happy birthday Wayne, if you have time to drop by :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 11, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8750863

Here's my other Musketeer x Fernando, except this is a cutting taken from the seedling in April. (It was the one that sent out aerial roots where the stem touched the side of the mini-greenhouse.) I think I'll pot this up and place it in the greenhouse outside. It's still too cold at night to plant things out in the ground--only 2 degrees last night--but the plants know that spring is just around the corner and seem to be revving up for growth.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 11, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8750985

Waiting for the nurse this morning ...lovely to see the seedlings, back afterwards. ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 11, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8751009

Jean, here are your seedlings today: 4 germinated, 3 sprouting, 3 to come.
All looking healthy!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 11, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8751040

Here's the one precious seedpod on my Peanut x Ruffles and Flourishes seedling.
It's a big one--hope the seeds are viable--crossed with Big Floppy Apricot, so you'd expect larger flowers ... except that brugs are contrary this way, so who knows!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 11, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8751046

Here are the seedpods on my other double pink, Phanomenal x Superspot
In contrast, this brug is incredibly fertile: I counted 17 pods! Assuming some of them don't make it to maturity and some seeds aren't viable, it's still likely that there will be *plenty* of seeds, probably more than all of us (who are interested in growing it) could grow ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 11, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8751050

Chrissy, this one might interest you: the sole seedpod on your cross of Old Apricot x Butterbomb. It's been open pollinated (or pollinated by me and not labelled). Chances are that the pollen donor is Big Floppy Apricot, but it's also growing right near the double pink above, so who knows ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 11, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8751060

Here's another of Volker's seeds from Mya--it's Yd at least once! The beast (it's a strong grower) is bursting to start setting buds if only the winter nights would stop dropping so low! (It would have flowered over autumn but for this fact.)
I can't wait--it had better not be white LOL

This message was edited Aug 12, 2011 10:29 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 11, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8751545

cestrum, that Phanomel x Superspot surely is a beauty for breeding, were the pods open pollinated?
Or have you been responsible for it's condition.
I must say that I hope that we don't get whites in great numbers...I would love a coloured one of any description...
Jean's seeds are certainly fertile, can't wait to plant them...look at your babies Jean..it must be the country air, that they were bred in..lol
I'm glad that your Sang seeds are doing well...my cutting has just started to collapse...6 weeks.
Maybe next year, though I don't need one now, do I...

I will wait to take a pic of my Fernando seedlings, they look too terrible...one thing though, the OA x Fernando's have very strong trunks, which is a good sign...has anyone else noticed that?
Probably OA influence...I wouldn't class my Fernando as a strong grower...the Musketeer x Fernando
is a normal looking seedling...

My OA x (Buck's Fizz or Bruce's Pink) pod is big and green and still there...my first pod..there are 2 tiny ones that are still there too...
Dianne.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 11, 2011
10:59 PM

Post #8751554

Dianne, stop staring at that pod. You will frighten it.
I hope yours are quicker than mine to ripen .
I am so pleased at how fertile they are for you. and Cestrum. Mine are still not up. Lazy little b**s.
I hope they do eventually germinate here. Be funny if I get none and sent all the goodies away.
Always try again anyway. I still have two small pods on FP from GHA and Colin noid. .
I am waiting on the new flush on GHA so I can try some of the pollen from BGI. I may wait awhile until it gets a lot warmer though.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 11, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8751555

Most of those 17 pods have labels, including about 3 each of Aztec Gold and Bucks Fizz. (As these both have suaveolens genes, I can keep hoping for an orange somewhere ... one can hope!) I harvested the first pod in April and found there were only 12 viable seeds inside the pod. It was open pollinated so I'm hoping that the pods in this batch--most of which were cross-pollinated by me--will have a higher % of viable seeds. Anyway, there should be plenty of seeds.

At this stage, I'm in greater danger of having an apricot garden than a white one! Which isn't too bad because where there's apricot there might be orange lurking too LOL

No, you don't need any more sanguineas Dianne, but you do *want* one! I'm guessing you'll snap up the chance to get more seeds if they become available down the track :-)

OA x Fernando does seem to have a sturdy stem, but Musketeer x Fernando doesn't look like a weakling either. So I can't really tell but wouldn't be surprised given how tough OA is.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 11, 2011
11:08 PM

Post #8751557

Funny thing is that last year I had a lot of knightii crosses. This year it's the Phanomenal x Superspot crosses. Wonder what it will be next year ...?

Jean, I doubt that I'll sow every packet of your seeds so if you (or anyone else) runs out, you can get more from me.

Chrissy, one of those 17 seedpods, although still very small and I might be jinxing it by mentioning it but I know you'll be interested, is Old Apricot x Butterbomb. Too early to say if it will make it to maturity, though ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 12, 2011
12:58 AM

Post #8751583

Wow everyone has been so busy and oh boy so many darling little seedlings to look forward to, would you believe so many things going on today that I did not even set foot outside. Very frustrating as my fingers itch to play in the dirt !
Trailer load of manure coming in next week :)
Don't know if I am going to get too excited about cool climate ones though, we have just had the Fire Dept around to warn us of an expected fire season, they want us to clear things from around the home (I only have tropicals that would shelter the home from fire but they want them cleared right away, so I will have a lot to do without nursing the delicate cool climate plants, it must be going to get very hot. The tropicals shelter the home from a lot of the heat so I am not looking forward to bare walls again.
Meanwhile I will enjoy watching you all grow out both the Tropicals and cool climate Brugs.
I will grow out a few seedlings but many of my brugs will be hacked right down so I will miss my mass displays and making pods this year as a result.
Hopefully the following year will be good for me- so over to you all to decorate these threads with your pretty babies ...I will have a handful of pretty trumpets (the ones not near the home) to show off now and then. But it will be a bit quiet here until everything grows again.
I love the sounds of some of the crosses ...should be fabulous.
Excess seeds always welcome here but let me know first and I will send a stamped addressed bubble envelope to you.
Enjoy your evening everyone, it poured rain here last night Spring rain is always sweet. :)

This message was edited Aug 12, 2011 7:25 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 12, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8752783

I wouldn't have thought the fleshy trunk and leaves of brugs would be a fire hazard. (Quite the contrary, I would think.) Although the smoke mightn't be so good. And you have to hack them down just as they're about to set the first buds of spring? That's tough! At least you're just cutting them back and not digging them out altogether. I suppose they'll just get more established, spread their roots and burst into a forest of blooms when they are eventually allowed to grow.

Shame about the seeds too, as you've built up a wonderful collection of plants. But with all of us now growing out crosses from each other and overseas, I don't think we'll be short of a supply ... just not from your beauties. Not this year, anyway.

I miss gentle spring rain; it's so dry here that I got a small shock when brushing the cat yesterday ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 12, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8752842

I have pods on the Brugs not near the house BUT ! These rules were written for Gum trees etc but many enforcers don't understand that the lush green stuff stave off those flying cinders when the fires had hit the fence near our home it was the lush creepers that stopped them jumping onto the building, I can't argue because these people save lives. My plants will be ok ...it will just be a while before big flushes again ...looking forward to everyone's flushes all over Australia.

Oh well never mind I just hope they are wrong about the coming Summer.
Your cat looks like a rag doll cestrum.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 12, 2011

Post #8753186

I guess when you fight fires, all you see are fire risks.
Probably the only acceptable garden in that world view is one made of concrete.
But who can live that way?
... not a rag doll, just a regular moggie in relaxed mode :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 13, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8754242

Chrissy. I'm sorry about your brugs.
It seems that when ever there is some sort of disaster, there is an instant knee jerk reaction.
If only the 'powers that be 'would take a little time to think first.
There are lots of rules down here now too, concerning types of houses that can be built and plants , trees etc in areas that are fire prone.
If only the "greenies "would think past their silly agendas and see that a lot of our natives are some of the most fire prone, explosive plants to have around a house./ garden.
As you say, the soft green "foreigners" are a real help in slowing a fire down.
Same goes for road sides too. All the tree trimmings etc nowadays are just left along the edge as "habitat". Th is is just just extra fire fuel, besides being an ugly eyesore. .
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 13, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8754352

OT, but it shows how silly the powers that be can be...
At the entrance to Geelong along the Geelong to Melbourne highway...the council decided to plant small, low growing native grasses on the median strip under the Eucalyptus already growing there...
There would have been about 2 kms...The council was applauded by everyone for planting low care, attractive ground cover...by greenies and other experts...
Not only did the grasses grow to over 4 ft tall and they had to keep slashing because the motorists couldn't see past them to turn...later on, a cigarette thrown from a car in the middle of summer, burnt out about 100yds of them...so out they all came...thousands of dollars later, there is nothing under the trees.
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 13, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8754419

The sun is shining and I am going to get out and do a few things as soon as the sun is shining on where I sit outside.
Yesterday, I planted 3 brugs in the ground. Today, I am moving all the others around so I can plant a few more down next to the shadehouses.
I am hoping to make more room for the primary schoolers to get up with the big boys then later the kindy kids can come out too.
I think all the little preschoolers will have to wait for a bit more warmth.
Then I have to rethink a bit so I can have a n area for my "coldies". I am hoping to get a lot more of the seeds for different " sphaeros ".
Had to use that word, it sounds important.
I am hoping to get in early to buy some of Alans ( BGI) seeds when he has them .
Does anyone here in Australia grow them , I wonder ?
Aside from we few on DG with our sangs.
I want seeds of the different sang crosses and the vulsas etc. so I can try them out here in the cold.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 13, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8754552

Jean,it was shining here but a very cold fog has rolled in.
Which Brugs did you plant in the ground?
Sphaeros is a good word isn't it...

Someone else does grow them, I don't know who..but last year when I asked Alan if he had any seeds left, he told me that he had just sold the last of them to another Aussie lady..
I am sure that he will save some for us this year...when we buy from him we should compare so that we have a variety of crosses...
My eyes bugged out when I saw the pics of the pods he has coming on...whoopee.

Knightii is almost in flower and Buck's Fizz is flowering from those white frosted buds...little flowers from little buds..PP never stopped flowering and Clementine has a lot of buds too.
Dianne

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 13, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8754988

You colder-climate gardeners are in for a treat with those seeds, when they become available!

Too soon here to plant out yet but I have been potting up brugs from seedling cells and cups into slightly larger containers and moving them outside into the large greenhouse. Thinking about it, I've decided not to plant my large seedlings into buckets this summer. It's such a lot of work--from buying all the buckets, drilling holes in every one (a real chore, this), then filling each with the growing medium. This year, I reckon I'll just order another load of potting mix and sugarcane, create a new no-dig patch using the sugarcane bales as a border, and plant the larger seedlings directly into it. Much less work! I mean, it's not as if I need to dig them up and store them inside for the winter, so there's no need to plant them in containers. As the sugarcane and other material in the patch rots down, I'll just top it up with more. This is one plant where collar rot is not a problem! The brugs' roots can also grow into the ground more easily and so draw more moisture that way too.

I've also found when digging out unwanted seedlings (white, of course!) that growing them in buckets does *not* make them any easier to dig out. The roots are enmeshed in the drainage holes making it if anything harder to dig them out.

I guess it's a matter of finding what works best in your circumstances and I reckon this should work better for me.

Meanwhile, it looks as if this knightii pod will be the first to mature, judging by the stem.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2011 1:49 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 13, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8755163

Sounds good to me, cestrum...I will pull anything out that I don't want in my Brug patch as soon as it warms up, and put in some more yearlings until they flower...mind you, I only have one to remove...I still like your Ecuador Pink x..so he stays...

I planted my Iochroma seeds, so I hope they grow...I don't know what the parents were, just Iochromas.
Jean, you have grown them?..how quick are they to come thru...Do they come true to type or can any colour pop up? wishful thinking, I suppose.
Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 13, 2011
10:53 PM

Post #8755179

No dig garden for me too cestrum ...good thinking.
I love no dig gardening.
I think the brugs love it too. :)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 13, 2011
11:20 PM

Post #8755204

Mmmm yes, I'm going to start growing them like vegies in the no-dig patch :-
But with labels!

This message was edited Aug 14, 2011 4:26 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 13, 2011
11:38 PM

Post #8755217

Yes I am doing the veggies in the no dig garden and the Brugs too ...it saves a lot of work and the results are wonderful !
Looks a little messy sometimes but I don't really mind ...it's a little expensive to set up but you save in the long run.
No dig gardens turn soil (in my case clay) into rich productive loam. :)
Just ask the Triffids
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 13, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8755224

In the same no-dig patch? I hadn't thought of that! Should be possible if the vegies are low-growing. Might help to keep the area weed-free.
I don't know why I thought I had to plant brugs in individual containers (when they're large enough to go outside).
Grow the brug seedlings fast in the first spring/summer so that they're large enough to regrow from the roots if they get frosted in winter. And if they don't, well, then they're not suited to my garden ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 14, 2011
12:18 AM

Post #8755245

No I would not plant Brugs with the veggies ...but the potatoes worked very well planted into the edges of the no dig veggie patch.
The potatoes formed mostly in the hay layers beneath the veggie roots so I had the spuds growing beneath the veggies and it saved heaps of room.

Keep the Brugs in a separate bed to anything edible. {◡}
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 14, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8756266

Dianne, I grew all my hybrid Iochromas from seed. They are like the brugs, anything can pop up colorwise.
I found the seeds very tiny but they grow easily. . They seem to grow at the same pace as the brugs once through.
good luck with them. I am hoping mine grow back after the savage prune I gave them.
I might end up with nice lower bushy plants instead of 'Jack and the Beanstalk ' giants.
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 14, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8756292

[quote="chrissy100"]...Keep the Brugs in a separate bed to anything edible. {◡} [/quote]
Not sure what that emoticon means (shock? horror?) but is there a real risk of growing edibles among the brugs? I know you shouldn't graft edibles onto a brug, but do brugs release chemicals from their roots that are then taken up by any plants growing beside them? Or are you just being cautious?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 14, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8756309

I just would be concerned a bit of leaf litter may drop down on stuff below ... it may not matter at all, just a precaution.
I suppose tomatoes and rhubarb grow near other veggies.
I really can't say it would harm them providing they are washed well before consumption ...hmmmmm now you have me thinking ...what does everyone else think ?

Must go as I need to shower george before the nurse comes ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 14, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8756321

ooops I almost forgot in case she still pops in to look every now and then

**♫♪ღ░H░A░P░P░Y░ღ░B░I░R░T░H​░D░A░Y░ ღ♪♫**
Happy Birthday To You♪♫**.♥.**♫♪Happy Birthday To You♪♫*
*.♥.**♫♪Happy Birthday,♪♫**.♥.***♫♪ღ​ღ♪♫**
Happy Birthday To You♪♫**.♥.**♫♪and many more♪♫**
.♥.*♫♪Have a great day :O)♪♫**.♥.*... I hope it's a wonderful day for you Ann
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 14, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8756520

Hmmm, occasionally brug leaves fall into the pets' water bucket. I fish them out when I see them of course. They lie in the leaf litter under the brugs then lick themselves later. Doesn't seem to have done them any harm although it's not something I'd recommend!

Washing them well, yes. Necessary for any edibles in my garden simply because of the presence of pets.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2011 10:33 AM
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 15, 2011
2:26 AM

Post #8757004

My new Brugs are looking good.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 15, 2011
2:35 AM

Post #8757007

I mite have my fist seed pod on, which I crossed the apricot x pink, I hope there hold, I do not know were the apricot & pink came from or there real name, the mister of live. there are steal a nice flower.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 15, 2011
3:00 AM

Post #8757023

Gena good luck with your baby pod ...fingers crossed for you :)

Now is a great time to pollinate Brugs.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 15, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8758824

I found this seedling in the shaded outdoor mini-greenhouse. It wasn't pressed up against the plastic walls and yet seems to be putting out aerial roots along the trunk. The pot is very dry--I've been underwatering--but the atmosphere in there is very humid, so I wonder if that prompted the roots to form?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 15, 2011
11:19 PM

Post #8758829

One of the Double pink cuttings you sent is doing that here ...it's right next to the others, so i don't know why it is doing that, maybe just certain genes, frustrated nubs that didn't make it to a proper root. I bet if you laid it sideways you would get a few plants. You remember how in the USA forums they said trunk cuttings make a few if you lay them on their side half buried, you can see how by looking at that can't you.

I have just two TT buds opening ...if you look to the right halfway you can see a bite out of the branch from the Golf ball hail last summer and some leave damage on the plant next to it from the recent pea sized hail a few days ago which put shotgun pellet holes in BB blooms and wrecked some less hidden buds on other plants

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 15, 2011
11:21 PM

Post #8758830

Hope was pretty well Frosted/hailed on while in the bud but is bravely trying to bloom, calyx is toast.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 15, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8758834

Iochroma about 8ft here behind the lovely butterfly bush (cutting grown from cestrum :) all budding up.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 16, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8759993

Ah, I see the Terrible Tuesday gremlins are at work at DGs again ... ( That would be Tuesday in the US.)
I think it's stranger for a seedling to be putting out aerial roots than for a cutting to do so. The parent is tough Old Apricot, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised after all! (I'm wondering if it was trying to draw moisture from the humid air in the greenhouse, given that the soil in the pot had dried out, but I really don't know if this is feasible.) Won't be trying to make cuttings from it, at least not until I see if it's worth propagating from. Probably another white LOL

Buddleja salvifolia that looks like, Chrissy ... I thought you already had a huge one? To me it smells of old-fashioned talcum powder rather than honey, although mine here have not flowered yet. My Spring Promise buddlejas are, however, flooding the backyard with the scent of freesias :-)

This message was edited Aug 17, 2011 10:07 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 16, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8760114

Terrible Tuesday...lol ...is that why I was cursing, trying to load a pic yesterday...
That Spring Promise sounds lovely cestrum...I hope mine grows quickly.
It's a wonderful time for perfume in the garden isn't it.

There must be a climbing gene in your Brugs, all these aerial roots...maybe they want to climb..

I've been mixing up a potting mix for my future seedlings and I had to buy some Perlite.
When I opened the bag, instead of a fine grade, it is at least 5 times the size...problem being, it floats...so did the smaller size..but these are big,strong fellas.
So I had to be very careful watering as it keeps rising to the top.
I think that I will contact Manutec and find out why they changed the grading...

Never having had a Sanguinea before, I never noticed how pretty the buds were...it's the ribs...
My second bud is coming out now...here is a pic...it is Wednesday, isn't it...
Still won't post..I will try sending it separately...maybe it's me..

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 16, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8760118

Try again.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 16, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8760193

It is pretty, Dianne, and it looks purple. Do you have any compatible pollen to hand?
A climbing brug? Now *that* would be something LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 16, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8760397

No I don't have any pollen, cestrum...but I don't mind because I will wait 'till we have the other Sphaeros up and growing...like the Vulsa X's...I am going concentrate on those...

I hadn't noticed just how much purple is in the Sang bud...it is a really deep wine colour...
that must be where the purple comes from..

I know that the Rubella is a cross between a Sanguinea and an Arborea but I want to try the others first.
I still haven't pollinated anything myself so I need lots of practice...lookout all the warm ones...lol
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 16, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8760618

Here you are , a shock to the system for the Iochomas. This is what they all look like now I have cut them back. Going to be interesting to see how they do now.
I have cut the two originals back before, and they just grew quicker and taller.
Everything being beaten up in the strong winds out there now.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 16, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8760677

That's what I would like to do to my hair at the moment..all off.

That is what I call a prune, Jean...hope that they bush out for you..
I thought that I had 2 Iochromas the same, but one is I.grandiflora and the other is I.cyaneum.
Both dark blue...I hope that these seeds produce a couple of pinks...
I can only see them with a strong magnifying glass.

A couple of them seemed to be suspended in mid air, until I looked again and saw that a very fine fungus was supporting them...so I have taken off the top to let more air in.
The trials and tribulations of a very fine seed grower..lol

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 16, 2011
11:07 PM

Post #8760682

Aren't they pretty, Jean..
What colours do you have?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 16, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8760688

I have grandiflorum( purple )and a coccinea hybrid.(red) I bought them as small plants . The ones I grew from seed were as far as I can remember , from seed of Trebah and another blue or wine. Cant remember exactly because I wasnt really into them, just trying out various seeds. . You can see mine in BGI gallery. They are the pruned ones in the pic above . I also have australe Alba ( white).
I would rather the brugs .
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 17, 2011
1:37 AM

Post #8760713

cestrum I forgot the fact you were talking about a seedling ... I know that like tomatoes if you plant a seedling Brug up to the cot leaf scars you get a much better root and growth because the part that was exposed beneath the medium and right up to the first two cot leaves will sprout roots once planted deeper. Yes it is the first butterfly bush you sent me and I had cut it right down but it is huge again ...I love it . My Spring Promise is a huge tree, I am going to bite the bullet and chop it down, it's way up above the roof and as a result I can't smell it very much, I remember it was delicious when I could.

Oh those poor little sticks Jean ...I am sure they will grow very well for you, no worries re a late Frost?
Can't wait to see your Spring Angel parade.
bluebellwoods
Sydney
Australia

August 17, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8762005

I couldnt believe my eyes...I went out to look at my brug buds and overnight there was an invasion ...SNAILS EVERYWHERE!!!!!...It was pouring during the night and every snail on the street I think came to annoy ME?? Most I cant reach ,they are all over the OA ,but also surprisingly over the bare lilacs?Dozens of bairns ,mums and dads...usually they seem to stay hiding in the agapanthus and osteospernums but for some reason they decided the shrubs were a better place to hang out ... or they've realised I cant get at them easily ? sighhhhhhh ...I cant put snail bait down cos of the pets soooo will ask if son has a can of beer in his fridge...that seems to work combined with my weight,they sure dont like being stepped on ...They want WAR they will get it ...in spades ...Sooooo here I go ,girding my loins, putting my rubber gloves on and doing the drop and stamp dance ...I wont win the War but I'm determined to win the Battle ...Wish me luck LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 17, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8762298

You have my sympathies, I have all of their cousins at my place, where they have been on and off since Autumn...
I certainly wish you luck...I have snail bait everywhere and I'm convinced that they slide around it...
I can't step on them...though I feel like it...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 17, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8762313

That was my garden last year and it's only the dry winter that seems to have decreased the numbers somewhat. Mine too were crawling thru the shrubs and trees, safe from both snailbait and skinks.
I can certainly step on them, doing my own version of the drop and stamp dance :-) I reckon that they just need to die quickly--I don't want to torture any living thing--but die they must! So good luck to you BBW--we are with you in spirit LOL
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 17, 2011

Post #8762352

I dont have snails here at all. Hubby says there have never been any here on the hill. They certainly live down in the town in droves.
BUT... before you all congratulate me on my good luck, remember there are their cousins "THE SLUGGIES "
I have enough here to cover a football field I am sure. There are all sizes and shapes. They even invade the toilet. which is on the back veranda. Go out at night and they are climbing the walls and eating the toilet paper. I kid you not. They leave holes in the toilet paper. I dont know if they use it or eat it but one has to waste a lot getting rid of the outside bits.
Between them and the slaters, I have the world population .
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 18, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8764032

Puff, puff, pant , pant. I have just come in after moving some brugs.
Boy are those dear angels heavy. I didnt realise how darn tall they are and there are now a few missing branches that I knocked off here and there while trying to jiggle the things through a gate.
I now have in the ground, Polar Queen, Zabalione, Frosty Pink and hmmm, forgot the other one. Lucky they all have tags.
There are others out the front that have been in the ground for a year or so.
Next job is to repot all the others into large pots. By summer, the ones in the greenhouse will be ready to venture outside too.
Going to go and relax with a book and a cuppa.
This was me. Very cold and wet this morning an working up a sweat with my jumper off in a bit of sunshine.
☃ ☃ ☃
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 19, 2011
12:04 AM

Post #8764109

My Iochroma seeds have germinated...They are so fine, like mushroom mycelium...
3 weeks to the day and there are lots of them...

Are your Brugs near the house Jean, so they can waft...I don't know Polar Queen, but Zab and FP are wonderful..
Zab in particular, I would not be without...I love it's perfume.

Still have a few to repot...but I have given most of the large ones a slurp of Molasses, Epsom salts and beer that I gave them in Autumn...I have very happy Brugs and Tilly loves to lick the drops, so she's happy too.
Dianne.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 19, 2011
3:01 AM

Post #8764158

My first Arborea seedling's bud is about to bloom. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 19, 2011
3:03 AM

Post #8764161

My vulsa seedling are slowly growing. I wish the bugs would leave them alone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 19, 2011
3:06 AM

Post #8764164

If you look very carefully you will see the first SuperspotX seedling coming through. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 19, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8764224

It's pouring rain windy as can be and freezing cold here.
Colleen you will smell it before you see it (the arborea) mmmm delicious!

gee it's all happening, great to see all the babies ...it's almost Spring though right now it's sure feeling like Winter still.
I don't know Polar Queen Jean what is that, a cool climate one?

I have decided to start planting next week ...not everything just in case. I will start potting on though, I have decided not to plant up my Angel garden because we have decided to downsize and finally really retire.
We will be moving in approx two /three years.
I will be looking for an acre or two, just enough to keep busy ...a smaller place (this is too big now the grandchildren have grown ) and the stairs are getting a bit much.
Any ideas on where to start looking ? frost free would be good. :)
I love the South Coast but I probably will be going North because it's kinder to your health. (older knees etc).
So I am only telling you about the move because you might wonder why everything will be in pots instead of garden.
I will not leave my Babies behind :)
My next garden will be hopefully be in a tropical cottage style.
Lots of veggies and fruit trees (helped by a retired hubby) I am ready to "drop out" as we used to call it .
Hubby started as a market gardener in his youth so it's back to the future for him. I will put him in charge of the veggies and chooks to keep him busy.
My hubby will be 74 next month and I have waited long enough ...that will make him 76 by the time he fully retires and I think I have been patient long enough.
So any suggestions of areas to start looking anyone ?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 19, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8765233

I bought three brugs about 2 years ago from Ann ( pogonantha) . I bought , Ecuador Pink, Bucks Fizz and Polar Comet. dont know why I wrote queen instead of comet.
The plants were a bit iffy at first but improved over time and are now looking good.
On the ABADS name register Polar Comet is one of Alistairs from Frosty Pink x suavoleons . Its a white single..
I am still watching buds on Bucks Fizz and I am glad the wind didnt knock them off.
Ecuador Pink doesnt like it here much. I think hes a real warmie. Always looks sad in the cold . Maybe he'll improve with age.
Dianne I will start on the beer molasses stuff again next week. The brugs have had some all purpose fertiliser but I've left off doing the liquid one un til the weather fines a bit as the continuous rain will just wash it out before the roots get any.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 19, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8765304

Confusion and maybe I need new glasses...
I thought that it was Polar CoRnet not Comet...very hard to tell..
For all I can see, Jean you might have written CoRnet...
Whatever it is, it is one of Bruce's Pink's parents...

12 days and the Vulsa x's are through...
I had a look at B.Strybings vulsa...it's a pretty thing...it looks like an apricot...I can't post a pic...
They are on BGI..put there by the hybridiser of our seeds...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 19, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8765347

Dianne, sounds like your eyesight is like mine.
Had a better look with my old glasses.
You are right , it is Polar CoRnet.
Now I had better get out and change the tag.
It was definitely written as Polar CoMet when I got it.
Your seeds are looking really good.
What mix do you have them in ?
I have been using a mix of coir from those solid bricks you soak and perlite.
I see no sign of anything else coming up here except the sangs. .
Probably hiding and waiting for the sun.
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 19, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8765419

Here is the Strybing "vulcanicola", Vulsa.

http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/189.htm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdv_graupe/2083388738/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xerantheum/2773398996/

What a beauty!

Hopefully we can get at least some seedlings with one colour almost all the way up the tube

Like these:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdv_graupe/5373192758/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdv_graupe/5703547183/

Do you want some sanguinea pollen for that arborea, Colleen?
Your vulsa seedlings are looking good. Thanks for those seeds, mine look similar.

Oh and Thanks again for the Iochroma cuttings, Jean. :)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 19, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8765464

Lucas as I'm not experienced in taking the pollen from Arborea, maybe it would be better to bring the Sanguinea pollen to it if you don't mind please. When I get more arborea flowers and learn how to freeze it then I'll send you some. At least this way we may get some seeds to share. Thank you for the offer. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 19, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8765475

[quote="chrissy100"]...
We will be moving in approx two /three years.
I will be looking for an acre or two, just enough to keep busy ...a smaller place (this is too big now the grandchildren have grown ) and the stairs are getting a bit much.
Any ideas on where to start looking ? frost free would be good. :)
...?[/quote]
How exciting! A little sad to be leaving your existing garden but thrilling to be looking for a new oasis. Frost-free, definitely! (If you can manage it.) Two years gives you plenty of time to take cuttings/seeds of the plants you want to take with you. Those potted brugs will probably anchor themselves into the soil thru the drainage holes unless they're placed on unbroken masonry, so you'll probably need a sharp spade to cut them out. But they can take it! Sounds quite lovely :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 19, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8765657

Yes I will thanks cestrum, I am sort of sad but the thought of more freedom to just garden and live the quiet drop out life is quite exciting in it's own way.
I have been looking on the net and it's pretty exciting to see what is out there, trouble is I am not well traveled and don't know what some places are like (as specially after floods and fires ). So that is why I am asking ...looks like no one else knows either. I loved Coff's Harbor but I remember Sues pictures of very heavy Frost (which was surprising) i would love somewhere with mild Summers and Winters Lol don't want much huh ? I remember no frost down South where I lived but we had both floods and fire.
I suppose in Australia perhaps there is no such nirvana but I will look .
I thought you might like to see a very cold blowing in the wind Twilight Time it is still there (can't believe it in this weather) strangely looking sort of almost orange sherbert ...it does go a coral shade in high heat and it's pale pink in cooler weather so this is a different colour yet again ...still pretty and this is one tough bloom.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2011 2:37 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 19, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8765661

Another shot It's blowing around so the shot is not good but it's a great Brug.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 19, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8765669

Poor Hope is hanging in there, but she copped the small hail and it chopped her up a bit. Still hanging in there though ...day 4.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2011 2:47 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 19, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8765672

Almost three days of winds and rain ...here look at this ...totally flattened in the deluges and wind.
I hope everyone is having better weather where ever you are.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 19, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8765699

It just shows what chameleons the brugs are, doesn't it?
Can't help you in your search, alas. Closer to the coast generally means frost-free and more temperate weather year round, but microclimates can make a huge difference--even in one street, some houses will be frost affected, some won't--but how do you know which is which? I think you definitely need advice about which area/s in generally to look at, as you can't flit all across the state in the hope of finding a frost-free zone. The types of plants growing there (once you narrow it down to 'there' LOL) gives you an idea of what the microclimate is like. Then, when you start inspecting particular properties, you can start asking the locals. (Not just the seller!) Nothing beats local knowledge--perhaps even a local gardening club can give some advice?
Perhaps a first step is to post your query in some other Aussie forums?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 19, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8765764

Chrissy, an new opening in your life. I do hope you find that special place .
Cestrum is right in saying the weather can be better closer to the coast, but not too close or you end up with salt laden winds.
It really comes down to what sort of garden you want to live with. Brugs, , tropicals, cottage or whatever. . Even if we dont like cold , a lot of plants need that cold spell.
Pick a few places and check the weather over the last decade. You will soon see what is going on.
You are being very sensible. None of us looks too closely at the future when we plant things. I am finding it harder each year, so am making sure I have things arranged where I can cope with them .
Good luck, at least you have time to look and dont have to rush into anything.
I am off back outside to tackle more brug moving. I am trying to arrange them so I have room for babies and dont have to be repotting big plants either.
A lot are going into the ground. My favorites will be in large pots close to the house.
This will leave me room to grow the sangs etc. that I want .
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 19, 2011

Post #8765782

Thanks Jean I was rather shaken last week when hubby was taken ill (he is never sick) and I had both brother and hubby unwell.
It stretched me to the limit and after a scare with my hubby I thought a bit about the future and decided I needed to put my foot down and make real plans for a real retirement. George's daughter wants him in a medical facility near her in a year ( so that means I can make plans) and hubby needs to realize he is no Superman (he is has worked too hard all of his life ) if something happens to him I can't care for him here and there is no way we want to be rushed in an emergency. We have lost a sister and two of his brothers so no one knows what is around the corner.
Both of us would be lost without at least an acre maybe just a little more, but no stairs.
We can prepare things you need -ready for independent living.
Having nursed my sister in law and now my brother I know what is required (wider doorways and modified bathrooms etc ) if you have these things you can cope if you become infirm.
Sounds awful to talk about such things but after my fright with hubby I must get real.
I think it will be an adventure, I hope we find a place with some things already growing because I don't have decades to wait for trees to grow this time, but having looked around a bit most places have a few fruit trees and veggie garden plots so it probably will be ok.
Coastal living is very expensive and not great farming land, so a bit inland, but not as far inland as we are now. I am over the weather extremes. Knowing they expect fires in this area again is upsetting too after the terrible Christmas day fires, it took a long time to get over that.
Sorry to rave on but now that I have made the decision it will dominate my life until the move is made.
From Monday on my whole focus will be on that and preparing for the new and probably last garden and home in our lives.
A bit torn, a lot excited, a bit scared (we have only just stopped being the newcomers here after 20 years lol ) but hey life moves on . Hardest will be saying goodby to the trees I grew from little fellas, they are like your children, yes even the triffids.
I will quit rambling now :)

Yes it will be wonderful following every ones adventures with cool climate brugs, I noticed mine did not like the 25C day but perked back up in the cold .
I don't think they will be good for me, I enjoy the warm climate ones. It will be great watching yours though.
I am really eager to see all the new American crosses (as well as our own ) bloom both warm and cool climate Angels.
I sincerely hope 2012 will be much kinder to the World and all of our gardens too.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 20, 2011

Post #8765826

Jean, I use 50% perlite and 50% Hortico seed raising mix with a sprinkling of vermiculite to keep it moist...This works for me and let me tell you in the 2 yrs that I have been planting Brug seed, I have tried every way that has been mentioned on the forums, trying to find the right mix for me...I have trouble with overwatering and with this mix, I have never had a problem...
I have not planted as early as this before and the seeds are jumping out of the mix...so I have made a note of the temperatures and will do the same next year..as long as I don't have a set back...

Lucas, thanks for the links...lovely pics...glad to see that your Vulsa x seeds are doing so well...The Strybing vulsa is pretty isn't it...

Chrissie, both Hope and TT look lovely...TT's cool weather colour is very pretty.

Well, what a big decision!...good on you...we made our final move 4 yrs ago..now if something happens to either one of us..we are in a good situation...
You will have lots of fun checking out the possibilities...and knowing that George will be happy, must be a weight off your shoulders...
Now that you have made the decision the time will fly...
Hope that your husband makes a quick recovery...

I just found a Y on one of my German plants...don't know which cross it is, because I pushed the name tag deep into the potting mix so that Tilly couldn't chew it..
I will have to lift it later on...bugger...it is one of Charleston's anyway...
Dianne.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2011 6:39 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 20, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8766845

Chrissy, you are a very sensible lady and I do hope you enjoy the challenge of finding the perfect place for you both. We will be interested to hear in the Tea Room, of your house hunting adventures.
Its great that George will be close to his daughter too.

Dianne. I use cacti/succulent mix or seed raising mix to pot the babies into when they are sturdy enough to move.
Great thing about using perlite etc is you can move them without much root disturbance.
This year I am using the larger peat pots so I can just pop the whole thing into a larger pot when the roots grow. Its all trial & error with plants isnt it ?
I moved a few more brugs yesterday and any that have flowered, were cut back regardless of any buds. I want to get a lower stronger lot of branching on them. Cant be reaching 8-9 foot in the air to enjoy them.
More moving etc today.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 20, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8767626

Keep up the great work Jean ...I can't wait to see your beauties !

It's still very windy and the the rain has finally stopped the ground is saturated ...more rain to come.

cestrum I use the polystyrene lids off the boxes as a root stopper, they work well in summer because they have a small rim that holds a little water (saves watering) they hold two 10" inch pots once the Brugs fill that 10" pot I sink the pot into the Polystyrene box itself (just a few inches into it) and let the roots grow into that. It fools them into thinking they are in the ground. Yes I will be taking lots of cuttings and germinating baby tree seeds seeds.

I hope everyone is really having a great time with their cuttings, seeds and plants, that what it is all about ...the anticipation :)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 21, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8769602

You're way ahead of me, Chrissy; all my potted brug anchor themselves into the ground thru the drainage holes within months! I just let them :-)

Another thing to think about is topography and rain shadows. Low ground (in frost-prone areas) seems most susceptible to frost; and everyone hates being in a rain shadow, watching the clouds roll past in the near distance, taking with them much needed rain, while your own plants cry out for moisture.

Local garden festival is on this weekend so will be interesting to see if I can find any little treasures ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 21, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8769629

Don't forget pictures if you find anything interesting ...yes it has been strange looking at places from Berrima (coolish but beautiful) to way up Nimbin way lol ...I do ,love the mud brick , solar power vibe but I think the neighbours may be odd up that way, Hubby surprised me by suggesting down South ...Mittagong/Berrima/ Bundanoon ...I love Bundanoon, it is where I purchased my Ginko when it was a baby. Lots of very interesting things down there. I guess if you don't need to work in the Winter it does not matter if it is cold.
I love tropical but I would miss the change of seasons ...
Did I ever mention that the first frost I ever saw was in my teens ?
I grew up 10 mins from the Beach and didn't know what frost was.

Sorry I wandered again.
Since Jean seems to have no problems with her Angels way down south it will probably be just fine.
It's still quite miserable outside, I hopefully can get out there this arvo, the nurse rang and said she could not get here until this arvo (too many sick people ...I hope she does not bring the germs with her).
My cold climate seedlings are enjoying the cold though.
What is the weather like up North ? Marlene says she is cold up there.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 21, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8769879

I am raving again about these Vulsa x Sanguinea seeds.
It is now 15 days since I planted them, without soaking or peeling.
Now all 12 of them are up this morning...

Question...Do all Sanguineas and their various crosses grow as rapidly as this...
Lucas, you have grown Sanguinea seeds, what do you think about these seeds.
Do they seem like rapid growers to you?

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 21, 2011
11:11 PM

Post #8770068

From v. limited observation the baby Vulsa seem to be roughly the same vigour as my other sang seedlings, which is fairly so.
These vulsa seeds may seem to be particularly viable but fresh sang seed is seemingly generally very easy to germinate anyway.

The weather here has been beautiful sunny days for the last few days, the warm growers are coming to life, as are Iochromas.

I just sowed some Star Dancer x Aztec Gold seed (Thanks, Chrissy! :))
Will see how we go...
Does anyone have examples of Star Dancer x seedlings?

Cheers.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 22, 2011
12:22 AM

Post #8770116

Thanks Lucas...as far as I know only Chrissy has Star Dancer x's...it's a bit different isn't it.
Just had a look at the Broersen's catalogue...
They are selling Brugs too...it's a very attractive ad..
Red Hot Pink, Brilliant Orange and Peaches and Cream?

It does look like Peaches and Cream in the pic...the corolla is well below the calyx...
But if it isn't in Australia, then it must not be their photo.
Dianne.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 22, 2011
2:02 AM

Post #8770132

Here is Star Dancer:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59940/

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 22, 2011
3:25 AM

Post #8770185

question - perhaps a silly one...
can you cross back to a parent?
or Grandparent...
would it be worthwhile?
I can't grow brugs but the genetics is fascinating which is why I am following the adventures of Aussie brugs here...
that & the great company & gorgeous flowers :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:01 AM

Post #8770206

You can cross any hybrid in the warm brugs with any other Brug because each plant is unique to itself even a seed that is grown in the same pod is still different (just like we are ) same mum and dad and although we may look alike (sometimes) we are still different.

Judy purchased the Star Dancer crosses when I did, but Judy is missing in action (sadly) so I don't know what may have become of hers. The Star Dancer is very rare ...no one seems to know where it came from . Viola ...the gardener we purchased the seeds from said she got a cutting from someone (an elderly lady in an old garden ) I think that was the story, Viola said she was thrilled to find it lasted like a cut flower in a vase instead of drooping the way most brugs do, she said it smelled of mint.
So Lucas I wanted to give you something that is a bit unusual, though it probably be like mine or yellow.
I thought this nice seedling (mum) was very attractive ...like mother of pearl shell. good luck I hope it gives you something to play with since the genes are different to anything we have here.

I have some seeds left if anyone wants to play with them, the plants they may have been crossed with in Viola's garden were all good Brugs.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2011 10:02 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8770226

Chrissy I would like a few Star Dancer seeds please. I would love to be able to pick them and put them inside. Colleen

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8770236

Is the one in the pic grown from the same seed?
It's lovely. Real pearly white.
Thankyou, I can't wait to see how mine turn out.
Colleen I have some of the Knightii X up.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8770255

The one in the picture is the Mother ...one of my Star Dancer open pollinated seedlings. She is the pod parent of your seeds.
I chose to pollinate her because although all the Star dancer Seedlings were attractive this one sits up almost horizontal ...one of the possible pollen donors (her dad) was an Aurea according to Viola and I felt because of the way she sits up that her dad may be an Aurea. I will print a list of the possible pollen donors tomorrow as listed by Viola.

Happy to spread some Star dancer genes around, I would love to see one like the mum here in Australia.
If I run out of the seeds from this pod I will try and cross her again this Spring with more Aurea and also back to her siblings, in order to try and get the " cut petals " again.

Ok colleen I will send you some.
Anyone else wants any let me know ^_^

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 22, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8770353

Thanks Chrissy. Lucas I have 2 KnightiiX seeds up. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 22, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8771502

Chrissy, Star Dancer is very unusual. I would love a few seeds to see what I can get down here with her. It would be nice to try crossing her back to the siblings. You would most likely have the best chance of getting those lovely petals .
I moved more brugs around yesterday and now have a lot in the ground. I will get a few pics later when the sun warms up a bit.
I only have few to pot into larger pots now and I'm done with the work on them until more little ones grow.
Chrissy. I do okay with the brugs down here in the cold but they do lose a lot of leaves in late winter . Luckily not many frosts in a normal year. Last year was shocking with that week of below zero temps all day.
The wind is what ruins the look of them here. It seems never ending most of the year so the poor things get whipped around .
They still do okay except that things are so slow. I worked out that it takes an average of 3-4 years to get a brug form seed to a Y.
Cuttings do so much better . I am hoping that all my seedlings that are now looking down on me from over 6-7 foot high, will finally Y.
Better move and open the Tea Room.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8771626

Ok Jean Star Dancer x (?) seedling had the most gorgeous thick creamy buds that sat up looking at you, they were almost as pretty as any bloom. I will send you some.

I know everyone has seen Twilight Time many times but here is this morning's pic, she is starting to grow again, and we have had rain every day for the 4 days she has been in bloom and another bloom is opening pale but the colour is creeping in ...it is a tough big bloom ...this picture actually shows the colour as the eye sees it this morning, a real Peachy colour, very pretty.
I can't believe how well she has endured and recovered from the storm damage, look at the damage in the picture.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8771633

Here is the older bloom behind and the new bloom ...it opens pale but coloured, then deepens in the warmer temps, as you know in the Summer she turns a coral colour and drops third skirts. It's quite fascinating. The bloom is so "full " she looks a triple even when just the two skirts are open. She flips them right up !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8771644

Chrissy, thank you for your offer, but I would like to wait for some seeds from the next cross that you make using the Star Dancer cross...the flowers on the plant that you are using for a pod parent are really lovely...every time you use that pic I am reminded of the translucence of a Morning Glory.

Jean, when you mentioned that it takes 3/4 years for your seedlings to flower...I thought that you must have the patience of a saint...then I thought about it and because you have seedlings coming on every year...it wouldn't be as frustrating as I first thought...lol

Hope you get some beauties this year as a reward for your patience...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8771658

I am sure Jean will have a wonderful display this year, can't wait ! ^_^ I think cestrum will too. Most of you will I think.
You all have good variety now and plenty to cross yourselves if you are so inclined.
I am looking forward to the Passing Angel Parade ...it will be fantastic !
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8771671

Dianne, that's why I say you should sow some new brug seeds every year. So from the second year, you should always have some brug seedling flowering for the first time :-)

Don't want to grow the Star Dancer seedlings myself--am really going to town on growing The Chief/New Orleans Lady crosses in the hope of getting something similar to these parents by crossing the first generation seedlings with each other--but am really curious to see how the SD seedlings turn out.

Lucas, are these your open-pollinated knightii seeds that are now germinating? Do you reckon they came from the single flowers? It's just that mine rarely set single flowers and I simply don't get any seedpods on them unless I pollinate them myself.

I took these photos to show how the seedpod and stem change as the pod matures (they're all pods growing on my Melbourne knightii). You can see how green the stem and pod are in the first photo, an immature seedpod. In the second, the stem has started turning brown but the pod is still green so it's still not ready to harvest. The final image shows a fully ripe pod with brown and withered stem and dull olive-green seedpod--I reckon I'll pick this one tonight. It happens to be a knightii x Bucks Fizz cross, which I didn't manage to get last year. I wonder how much of the suaveolens-type flower shape these seedlings will inherit? I agree with you Teresa: the genetics are fascinating ... but there's no reason you couldn't try breeding cold-climate plants, even annuals ...?

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011 9:34 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8771673

Gosh, that panorama is terrible--looks like DG automatically reduces it in size. Here's the green pod.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011 9:29 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8771678

Here's the one with the yellow stem but still green seedpod.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8771680

And here's the ripe seedpod with the withered stem and dull olive-green seedpod, ready for harvesting.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8771722

The Chief x New Orleans Lady sounds exciting cestrum.
I am sure you will get some wonderful results from that cross.
The Knightii seeds will be exciting to follow, I think different places may have bugs or big moths that can cross stuff.
Certainly almost every pod I have ever had was pollinated by me with the exception of Pink Panther who is very free with her favours but can give lots of empty corks if it is "open pollinated", also Frosty Pink had some once.

Those pics are great cestrum.
Yes those pods we look at for months suddenly turn to "off or rotten" looking. PERFECT ! time to pick.
After the hail I found pods with damage and now realize that the rain has been getting in and probably damaging the seeds.
In future I will put some sort of grafting tape over the damaged pod to protect it, the only reason I did not do that already was because I thought it might distort the pod growth.We will see what happens then.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8771769

OMG did you see this one

http://ibrugs.com/Community/iBrugsCommunityPods/PodsView/tabid/222/asg/3/aft/759/showtab/groupforums/Default.aspx
I hope this link works !

Now that one is something to aim for ...beautiful !!!!!
Edited to say I love the thin tube on that one and the colour is stunning.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011 11:32 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 22, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8772252

He does have some beauties.
I have a few of his seeds so can only hope.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 22, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8772254

[quote="chrissy100"]The Chief x New Orleans Lady sounds exciting cestrum.
...[/quote]
Alas, I don't have any direct crosses of these two, just seeds with either one of them as a parent.
Looking at that photo of Raspberry Crush makes me wonder: if you wanted to reproduce something like that from seed, would you be better getting the seed of RC itself or the seed of a cross between its parents?

Meanwhile, that ripe knightii seedpod has turned out to contain mostly unripe seeds. I've counted 8 that seem to have kernels inside them and will be sowing them after a short soak in hydrogen peroxide.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 22, 2011
10:36 PM

Post #8772256

Whoo hoo Chrissy. that is a beauty isn't it? I pick my Mango Kornet OP pod yesterday and there are about 30 seeds in there. I split one open to see if everything was alright and BINGO. Does anyone want a few of these crosses. If no-one wants any I will plant them all and see what I get. Glutton for punishment aren't I? I have to do something to keep me sane so why not fill my yard with Cati and Succulents, Broms and Brugs and a few lilies etc. Colleen

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 22, 2011
10:43 PM

Post #8772260

Here is a Knightii at Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne.

Thumbnail by lucas13

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 22, 2011
10:56 PM

Post #8772277

I went to peel those 8 ripe seeds to find that the corks were empty--no kernels at all.
So I won't be getting any knightii x Bucks Fizz seedlings after all. Ah well, it happens ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 23, 2011
1:20 AM

Post #8772332

I wonder if single blooms are a seasonal thing with Knightii.
The Knightii that I have, bloomed with double flowers all summer,
then the last blooms in Autumn were single...
Has anyone noticed any pattern?
probably not, it's just a thought.

Thanks for the pod pics cestrum...I don't think that my OA pod is far away...
Sorry about your Knightii x Buck's Fizz...disappointing..

I keep getting an under construction notice on iBrugs..I'll have to wait..until my server sorts it out..
I haven't been there for ages...I forget about it.
It's their server not mine...I had a look at their facebook page and they have some lovely seedlings..
A Creamsickle one for you Chrissy...

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011 8:12 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 23, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8773669

The single blooms may be induced by cold weather, Dianne, although I can't immediately recall such a pattern here despite the very cold nights. Perhaps the relatively warm days makes a difference?

I'm wondering if the empty kernels in the knightii x Bucks Fizz seedpod was due to poor-quality pollen? I might have waited until the pollen was past its peak before pollinating the knightii. Here's a second BF pod on another brug that I have just picked. Looks promising ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 23, 2011

Post #8773670

But look inside:

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 23, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8773675

Sometimes white seeds can germinate, but not these: there are no kernels inside. (I broke open all the darker ones and many of the white ones and all were empty inside.)

The BF pollen would have come from the same flush of flowers that supplied the pollen for knightii, around the same time, so it's unclear whether it's due to the quality of the pollen or something else, such as the unusual spate of cold and frosty nights we've had this winter--the greatest number of frosty nights since I moved here. I guess we'll know when the other pods start to mature, but I might not have the oversupply of seeds I anticipated!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 23, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8773739

Awe what a shame ! if the stem of the pod was frosted it would be like severing an umbilical cord to a growing bub, thus causing the pod to rot. Such a disappointment when you have anticipated and dreamed of what the results can be.
The seeds can die off inside without the nutrient, but yes probably something wrong with the pollen or the sticky patch that the pollen pollen needs to cling to. So sorry cestrum. Never mind tomorrow is another day.
It only takes one or two grains of pollen to trigger a pod, I know it's hard to believe looking at a wonderful big pod, but that is what can happen.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 24, 2011
12:03 AM

Post #8774103

I am so sorry, but I am learning, and this all helps me, but sadly not for you all , I feel the hopes and dreams for your seed, we can only learn and try again. I have only 2 pods so far, my first, but i am feeding them doing all I can I think and hope.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 24, 2011
12:14 AM

Post #8774104

Here comes the Arborea flower. Can't smell anything as yet Chrissy. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 24, 2011
12:17 AM

Post #8774105

Look at this little darling. The snails love him too. Darn things. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 24, 2011
12:41 AM

Post #8774113

Awe what darling little Arborea ...gosh Colleen give the poor thing a chance ...are you sniffing it in the day ?
you go sniff it as soon as the sun is sinking :) It will remind you of a dear little (it's tiny compared to other Brugs) white star fish, I love them and once they start they just spot blom for months. If you leave one or two to self seed, at this time of the year once the Frost is finished they set fruit very well all by them selves.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 24, 2011
12:47 AM

Post #8774115

Good on you, Colleen.
Your Arborea looks lovely, you must describe it's perfume after tonight's sniff...it looks a very pure white, love the long corolla teeth too.
How long would it be, including the calyx?

Hi Gena, good to see you following all the Brugmansia talk...
Don't forget to post your pics, not only Brugs...you have a pretty garden..

Here is my Pink Panther this morning...not a lot of colour yet, a couple more days will do the job.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 24, 2011
2:15 AM

Post #8774128

Looking good Dianne. I haven't got PP. Is it a double pink? Colleen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 24, 2011
2:37 AM

Post #8774130

Here he is in all his glory. About 8" long Dianne and smells absolutely wonderful. Sort of a caramel with something else. Whoo hoo Now I hope the sanguinea pollen turns up tomorrow if Lucas saw my reply. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8775012

I wish my arborea would Y soon so I can get a flower like that. Maybe I'll show it the pic so it knows what to do. Lovely Colleen.
Dianne, my PP has made its Y at last so I look forward to seeing flowers like yours.
Here are some of my brugs after their move around and planting . Some still have very large leaves so are drooping in the sun.
Most look a little bald because I removed a lot of the lower leaves to allow light etc to get to the smaller potted ones ones underneath.
They soon pick up again as it cools in the evening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8775014

more.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8775017

A bit hard to get a pic of the whole area but this is a sheltered circle in the middle of the orchard.
Not all fruit trees around, some are natives , but they make a nice area for the brugs.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8775018

These are out under the cypress. Mostly seedlings but a few cutting grown among them.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 24, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8775269

That arborea flower is wonderful, Colleen: well done!
Jean, your brugs are looking good. I reckon only another week here before the danger of frost passes and, even though the nights will still be cold, they won't fall to freezing levels and so the planting out can begin. I can feel spring in the air, esp. today when it's warm and nicely (not overly) humid.
Here are your Painted Lady x Mustafa seeds from Arghya Gardens; two out of the three have germinated. Although sown at the same time as your GHA seeds, these are a lot smaller and slower growing. The GHA seedlings have in fact been potted up in separate foam cups and moved to the outdoor greenhouse.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 24, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8775311

Yes there is a whiff of Spring around here too but I tread carefully still because we have had a frost or two in September here,
can't help but get a bit excited though.

Wow Jean they look great !
The sun is out again today ...whoo hoo, maybe they are wrong about the rain. It was sunny all day yesterday.
Seed soaking starts today (of some things).
off outside now ...
Enjoy the Sun everyone !!!!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 24, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8775482

Looking great Jean. "A Forest of Brugs" now that's something worth seeing. I have 2 of the 4 Sang seeds up, 3 SuperspotX and 4 KnightiiX. The little Datura flower is finished this morning short but sweet, but there is another bud coming. It will be great if the BL''''' snails don't get it. Cestrum I notice that you're growing lots of different ones to everyone else. Are you after a particular thing? I have 10 brugs planted out the front now. It will be wonderful when they all flower at the same time. I can just imagine the perfume. mmmmmmm. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 24, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8775492

Colleen, I'm really keen to get my own double orange, a la The Chief or New Orleans Lady: double/triple orange blooms with a citrus scent. Alistair has already produced a local beauty--Clementine--but I want one of my own! So just as Chrissy is after the perfect white, I'm after my own perfect orange :-)
Jean, please remind me again of what cuttings you need ...

Oh, and a true (scented) single orange, not a seasonal orange that is yellow in warm weather ...

This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 1:07 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
9:48 PM

Post #8775590

Cestrum, those babies are looking good. I'm glad to hear that it looks like GHA's strong growing genes seem to be in the babies.
I canr remember what cuttings I asked you for now. I think I should write everything down as soon as I think of it.
I'll go back a bit in the threads and see if I can find what I asked for.
I definitely want a piece of Maya . I am just really grateful for any cuttings that are sent. . I like the smaller ones with neat flowers. . Anything that has any aurea in it too.
I like the idea that we are all going after different brugs. Chrissy and her whites and you with the oranges.
I want to concentrate more on the cold brugs but am still aiming at getting something great in the warmies too.
I want something in bright pink or orange that looks like and grows like GHA. Sort of a tidy smaller neat flower and strong upright growth.
Between all of us we should eventually have a great range of Aussie bred brugs.
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 24, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8775620

Fantastic flower Colleen.
Nice garden Jean.

I was thinking, wonder if GHA x OA could yield a nice vigorous hardy mango brug...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 24, 2011
11:35 PM

Post #8775626

Jean, I don't have Maya and my Golden Butter is too spindly to yield any cuttings. But I do have the double pink and that Pink Sweetie (single pink), just wasn't sure which one of them didn't strike for you.

Lucas, I don't have Glasshouse Angel but my Golden Butter (a similar aurea) x unknown was probably cross-pollinated with Old Apricot, and it gave an orange flower (as shown), although it will probably turn yellow like GB when it reflowers in summer. But I agree: crossing the aureas with OA should yield some good brugs including (surely!) some oranges or something like one of my favourites, Mango Crush.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 24, 2011
11:50 PM

Post #8775629

Jean, I have a Tantra cutting with roots on it...It is a Knightii x Aurea ...lovely dainty white flower...
If you don't have it then you are welcome to mine.
You will love PP, it never seems to be out of flower...

No Colleen, Pink Panther is a single...
When my Fernando puts on some more growth, you can have a cutting from that...it's a double.

[quote="lucas13"]
I was thinking, wonder if GHA x OA could yield a nice vigorous hardy mango brug...[/quote]

I bet it could Lucas, but will it?...lol

This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 6:08 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2011
12:01 AM

Post #8775634

I agree Aurea x Old Apricot would be the best bet ...it may take growing out a lot but I am sure that you would get a nice orange. From what I have read orange may be a little less robust than the others but perhaps here in Australia where they don't freeze in Winter it would not be so much of a problem. Musketeer hasn't been a strong grower ...it isn't bad but when you compare it to say Elfin Pink it seems not nearly as vigorous. You can't tell from one of course, it may be much more vigorous elsewhere but no one I gave cuttings to have said how they went, so I don't know about other places yet.
I am looking for perfect curly tendrils on a thin tubed pristine white double, if the one I have (nicknamed birthday baby) was a double that would be it.
Meanwhile there are lots of pretty blooms yet to meet and enjoy ...it's going to be wonderful !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2011
12:03 AM

Post #8775635

Here is Tantra, Jean...just to remind you...
It is such a dainty thing.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2011
12:09 AM

Post #8775638

Yes I agree Dianne I have to say that PP is a wonderful Brugmansia, almost constant flushes and is the parent of some beautiful babies (Waynes) ...yes it's a bit droopy in habit but cross it with an upright growing Brug and I am sure they will be terrific. It sets heaps of pollen and is a very fertile Brug that sets pods very easily (probably a bit too easily ) ^_^ ...

Without a doubt everyone should have a PP in their garden. Even if it is just to enjoy the constant flushes.
ooops edited to say here is Birthday Baby ...my very first hybrid bloom.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 6:12 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 25, 2011
12:10 AM

Post #8775639

Here is one for 2, my first bods, fingers crossed.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2011
12:16 AM

Post #8775641

Fingers crossed for you Gina, I know how exciting that is ...I used to run out to look at mine every two hours, still do if it is something exciting :) Hope they are good for you.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 25, 2011
12:17 AM

Post #8775643

Here is a jade vine flower, my friend grow, just so you can see. it is so long, the cage hang on the left side is about 2 feet.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2011
12:19 AM

Post #8775644

WOW and WOW again !!!!! love that ...it's beautiful, your friend is very good gardener.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 25, 2011
12:20 AM

Post #8775645

The bod is a cross between the apricot and pink

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2011
12:42 AM

Post #8775647

Gena, good luck with your buds...whatever you do, don't get tempted to touch them...they can fall off very easily...

That photo of your friend's Jade vine is too special to put on the Brug thread only...
Please post it on the August flower thread..
This is the link.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1204409/
A lot of gardeners will see it there...

Chrissy, what is Birthday Baby's parentage?..it is very nice.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 25, 2011
1:26 AM

Post #8775650

Thank you
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 25, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8776733

Cestrum, do you want a piece of GHA ?
I still have Pink Sweetie and Floppy Apricot of yours doing well. . I remember now that we mentioned your Golden Butter and you did say it would be way too small for a cutting. Mango Crush is a lovely orange isnt it ? A pity it fades.
The most orange of any I have would have to be Musketeer. It only flowered once 2 years ago so I am waiting to see how it does. It is very spindly and seems one prone to mites. I only have a couple that the mites bother . Musketeer and Clementine , plus sometimes Frosty Pink gets a few.
I just use the Eucalyptus oil and they go away.
This year I am starting to find the odd green grub on some. easy to see as they stick the leaves together. Once the warm gets here properly, there should not be much of a problem with any pests except the darn slugs.

Chrissy, my Elfin Pink has flowered for the last 2 years but does lose a lot of leaves in the heat . A tall, spindly grower too but still holds up well. I cut her back this year in hope of getting more branches lower down.
Your Birthday Baby is looking lovely.
I like the whites with character.

Dianne, that Tantra is lovely , thank you, I would love a piece .

I have a lot of buds on Waynes Giant but no so far on PP. I see a tiny Y coming on Clementine too.
BB is sulking because I cut back all those long branches. I did leave about 2'on each branch and a few buds too. It can now go mad as it is in the ground so no more tiny pot. He has a very strong trunk just like GHA.
Now if we could get them all to have the trunks like the aureas seem to have , it would very nice.
If you look in the second pic of mine above , the one with the thick trunk in the front is a seedling ( Mountain Treasure x Axel Rose ), and by far the biggest of all.
The one behind is the double white from Portland Gardens. Already way taller and healthier than the forlorn parent.

I have 5 buds on Bucks Fizz and I see a tiny wee bud on the Candida x seedling from France. .
Exciting times as my babies turn into grownups.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8776789

I have GHA-cross seedlings so, because I'm always after something*new* rather than cloned, I generally don't want the original cultivars, many thanks Jean. Pink Sweetie is very similar to Elfin Pink. I like them both--good strong plants--but I think PS might have more frequent flushes. See what you think when it grows and flowers. (All the aureas in my garden get mites, alas; just as all the fruit attracts fruitfly.)

But you are truly going to have a forest of flowers this season, Jean: well worth the wait I reckon :-)

All those cold-clime seedlings are exciting to watch too ...

PS Chrissy: my Musketeer cutting is also a slow grower and, as you say, nothing as vigorous as Elfin Pink. Hopefully it will flower this season, along with FFA. And of course FFA is the most vigorous of all, although my 'beast' seedling might be challenging that status :-) (I have clones--which I like--given to me in previous years but from now on it's the seeds that interest me.)

This message was edited Aug 26, 2011 9:25 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8776855

Jean, my antenna went up when you mentioned a Candida x from France...I have never seen seeds from France advertised...
Tell us how you came by it and do you have many seedlings from the cross?

I won't post your Tantra until Monday..don't want the roots to dry out.

That seedling MT x AR is a strong looking one...
I am going to try and find the tag for my Charleston seedling that has Y'd...I will need to take it out of the pot...very carefully...

cestrum, do you have a particular cross that you are waiting on at the moment?
One that may? produce an orange...hopefully.
I bought some Georgia Peach seeds this year...that is a pretty one in those colours that I like.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8776910

Funny you should mention Georgia Peach, Dianne, because I was just looking at photos of it over at BGI: http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/394-georgia-peach/ It's a shame its parentage is unknown but there's a hint of suaveolens about those blooms I reckon. Will be interesting to see what the seedlings look like--but even more interesting to see what the second-generation turns out like. I'm excited for you :-)

What a range we're all growing!

The 'beast' is the brug seedling that seems most likely to flower next; I think it's just waiting for the nights to warm up. It's got 4 or so trunks with a Y and a bunch of subequal leaves at the tip of each. And those trunks are leaning out all over the place, including over the footpath which is most inconvenient. I swear it would have flowered in autumn if I lived in a frost-free area. So it's bursting to start flowering :-)

... It had better not be a white LOL

For orange brugs, I've really only got the local aureas (mainly my Golden Butter) and Old Apricot for this season's 'virgin' flowers but I'm hoping that the overseas crosses might have some orange genes lurking among them. Will have to wait another couple of years to find out though. Interestingly, I remember Alistair saying that's its the suaveolens and versicolors that create oranges (although the versicolors create apricot-shaded oranges rather than a pure orange, from memory); he didn't mention the aureas. Perhaps aureas tend to create seasonal oranges only (ie those that turn yellow in warm weather)? I don't know--just guessing here so please don't repeat this as fact!

This message was edited Aug 26, 2011 10:33 AM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2011

Post #8776923

This is the photo of Georgia Peach that seems to show that touch of suaveolens ... but perhaps it's only in my imagination: http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/5686-georgia-peach/
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 25, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8777011

Dianne, I bought the candida seeds from France ( on eBay) back in 2008. I think I sent some to Chrissy. Dont know if hers did anything, but only one of mine grew. It is about 4' high now and did have a bud last year which fell off. I am hoping this time it will do something.
Be interesting to see what the flower is like.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8777226

Good luck with that seedling Jean, it will be interesting to follow...
Cestrum, my plan is, providing these seeds grow, to cross the best of them with Buck's Fizz...
When Buck's Fizz is at it's best, it is a really lovely colour..so I thought that it was worth a try.

Jean I forgot to mention that all of your #2 pod seeds were fertile...so it's a good cross as far as the fertility goes.

Here is another pic of my new favourite...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 25, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8777283

Nothing of mine up here yet. They must be sulking because I sent some away .
I am seeing small noses poking up from some of the Arghya seeds, so maybe a few warm days would help.
I cannot pamper them so whatever grows here is going to have to be hardy.
No heating or bunny rugs . They are in the mini greenhouse inside the larger greenhouse so get warm when ever the sun shines.
The sangs are coming on well but I have to watch the B*** slugs.
Lucas, your little sucker is going well. The other cuttings are slow, but should pick up soon.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2011
10:39 PM

Post #8777405

Just looking thru my Brug diary and I noticed that Chrissy's Birthday Angel has Ludger's Windsong in it and so does FFA and on the BGI thread Dawna has suggested that Windsong is the darkest yellow/gold in her collection...

So those two would be interesting to cross as well...
Chrissy have you crossed them yet?

Then we have Clementine with all her lovely yellow and orange genes.
So we already have a lot to work with...oh boy...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2011
10:40 PM

Post #8777408

Jean I do have some mixed seed seedlings still growing out from you (the named French ones failed ..I think it was trying to germinate them in Winter hence waiting for Spring after that.) ...there were mixed ones too that did not fail and I just call them Jean's noids. I will let you know when they bloom ...a lot of the tops were trashed in the Golf Ball hail.

Giorgia Peach should be a beaut, I used to chat to it's breeder and he was a Brug Genius ...gone missing now, but he was truly dedicated to raising great Brugs, he loved his Giorgia Peach ...I must be a bit absent minded because I thought he told us that this one was found somewhere in the natural habitat. I may be wrong on that ...regardless he said it was his favourite. I would love a piece of anything from that Brug when someone grows a cross large enough to share.. Happy to swap something for it :). Eric was very keen on the wild form Brugs to work with.

I think there will be some great Bucks Fizz kids coming on down the line.
Lots of wonderful things to look forward to.

cestrum PP carries orange in her genes even though she is of unknown breeding and pink, I think she may be related to Bengal Tiger. I would pursue that one if you want orange quickly ...she will give you some whites too but look what Wayne got out of her. You may need to grow quite a few out but I am sure there is treasure in there ...match her up with a Brug with oranges in their background if you can.

Elfin Pink prefers to bloom in moderate temps, but is worth working with for those wanting nice pinks ...very strong lusty growth here ...downside hates heat (won't bloom in heat ) here in my area at least. She is another tall one but the above the Y cuttings work to down size her so as to take pollen. Some still want to hit the sky but she will bloom at a low height taken from the flowering wood. She has interesting Parents too.

Quite warm and sunny here today !

This message was edited Aug 26, 2011 4:52 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2011
10:48 PM

Post #8777417

No I haven't because I can't reach FFA LOL ...she is tall tall tall ...very frustrating !!!! just like NOL.
But I will try another above the Y lot of cuttings when I chop the Mother tree down (OUCH) ...so far every cutting I have grown from FFA has reached for the sky ...Gee I want to see her up close again. The first flush when it opened hung down in my face, then it took off for the sky. I probably gave away many above the Y cuttings and had mostly Log cuttings here so they are all tall like their mother plant.
I have some Ludgers crosses that need a bit more growth on them before I can share but will be happy to do so cestrum, if they can help get you that orange.
The funny thing is orange and pink is supposed to produce white mostly but mine have almost totally been coloured. We know a bit more now though don't we ? ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2011
10:54 PM

Post #8777420

Yes, Bucks Fizz is a very pretty brug and I have some seeds from it as well, so will be interesting all around. Such a happy plant in my garden.
No more named cultivars for me; it's seeds from now on :-)
Here's the 'beast' (sorry Chrissy, you must hate that nickname!). It has its 2nd birthday in October. Should have its first flush of flowers by then. Parents: Angels Flight x Superspot, so it *should* be a good one. But you never can tell with brugs; they're full of surprises.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8777427

Oh heck that is a killer Brug ...fingers crossed for a lovely Brug ...can't wait to see it bloom ! ^_^

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2011
11:34 PM

Post #8777434

It certainly is a whopper, cestrum...
I have it's half sibling and it's in a pot...and it's nothing like the size...
Angel's Flight x Charleston...

I keep checking FFA for buds now that it has Y'd, I am really looking forward to it.
It is the closest thing to Lemon Meringue that I will probably ever have...
So thank you Chrissy...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2011
11:45 PM

Post #8777438

I can't wait to see it bloom either! I've been waiting since the start of autumn ...
The Joli x Angels Flight produced Big Floppy Apricot, so I'm hoping the 'beast' will be something different.
We'll have to compare the half-siblings, Dianne--will be fascinating to see the differences. That's what I love about brug seedlings!
Your Ludgers crosses sound intriguing, Chrissy. No cuttings for me but I do hope you get some lovely blooms from them.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 26, 2011
2:37 AM

Post #8777463

I hope this works ..it is a video of a nice orange Brug from one of our BGI gardeners Christian.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5PBlNHLaq0&feature=player_embedded
Fingers crossed ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8778365

What a massive number of blooms on a potted plant--I must make it a project one year to nurture one brug to see if I can get it to flower in a tub like that. But, is it just my monitor or is that brug more apricot than orange? In fact, seems like a cross between Old Apricot and my Big Floppy Apricot :-) I reckon you might be able to get a versicolor-type orange from it.

Anyway, a superb plant!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8778482

Thats certainly a beautiful specimen. Looks like it has been cut back to make multiple stems. I am going to try that with some of mine. A very nice size and easy to see all the blooms, instead of craning ones neck up. .
I have a small suavoleons that grows like . It put out multiple stems from the original cutting so I left it.
It only gets to about a metre high now and has more flowers when it does bloom.
I may put it in a pot on the veranda.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 26, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8778493

It's not the orange that Buck's Fizz gets, but it's beautiful and does encourage me to feed weekly...
He's done a good job with it...thanks Chrissy...
I think that I will give everyone in pots some Phostrogen today...I have to give the ones in the ground some of the molasses/epsom salts and beer tonic... they hadn't had any of that this season.

I couldn't find the tag on the OS seedling, it is almost bursting out of it's pot, so the tag has been devoured...
I am going to do a root prune this year on the potted ones that need it...I really have run out of room in the garden...so they must stay in pots...
It mustn't be too difficult because they all seem to keep them in pots OS.

Those Vulsa seedlings are bolting along...so much so that I'm expecting flowers next week...lol
Colleen, remember I said that RFP had a mottling on all the leaves...well that has disappeared over the last month...Jean must be right and it's only a seasonal thing...I hope it doesn't come back..
Pink Panther is scenting the garden this morning even though it's cold out there...lots of flowers out now...
It's a great time in the garden..
Alistair if you are reading any of this, how are your Sphaeros now...did the last one hold it's flower?
I would love to post more pics of my sanguinea, but I mustn't get carried away..lol

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8778503

Get carried away, Dianne, we love to see the pics. It mat encourage mine to grow quickly. I want sang flowers too.
Yes, that mottling never came back on any of my plants. I only ever had it on the one though.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 26, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8778525

Dianne, Alistair said that was a virus, the mottling of the leaves, but it doesn't affect the plant and it still flowers and as you've been told it is seasonal. I never have it on RFP here but I do on some of the others. I'm having some problems with mites but I might try the Eucalyptus oil on them and see whether that curbs them. The little snails are creating havoc here. I think I'll sprinkle sawdust everywhere and see if that deters them. It's a pain when you are trying to get seedlings up. Mango Kornet is a lovely dark gold Cestrum. Maybe a cross with Bucks Fizz might produce that elusive orange for you. I have to get the MK seeds planted too. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 26, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8778676

Is there a true orange ...I don't think there is an official orange.
A deeper shade of Apricot or even peach that tricks the eye.
In the video did you notice the colours in the inner more shaded parts of that lovely plant seemed more orange than the outer ones?
Brugs may be described as orange but are they?
What do you think ?

Just in case you missed the video ( I left in the tea room ) from the same gardener here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=tp5LidDCfxk
How many of us grow or have grown most of the lovely plants in this wonderful garden ...it's a small world after all :)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8778969

a few more sang babies.
You can see they must taste nice , b*** sluggies.
Jean

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 2:54 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8778973

look what I found when I went out to check on things in the greenhouse. . My imported babies have decided to grow.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8778980

Now here is an odd fellow. This came up from the seeds from Chrissy. It is knightii x old apricot from Cestrum.
Now what do you do up there Ces trum ?
Are you feeding your brugs on something rare and wonderful ?
The funny little thing has 2 cots and looks like it fell in the paint.
I am hoping this is not just a lack of something. I would like to see it grow and keep the markings.
Sorry not a good pic but it was cold out there.I'll get a better one when the sun comes out again.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 26, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8778998

Well done with the sangs, the snails and slugs love them eh!

Hopefully that seedling is variegated, though it looks very similar to the virus Knightii often gets in winter.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8779008

It most likely is a virus Lucas, because the larger leaf just under the colored ones is plain green. We'll wait and see.
Wouldnt it be something to have new variegated brug. ?
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 26, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8779053

Yeah especially seeing as the leaves appear to be curling downwards, just like the Knightii virus from what I've seen on mine.
Interesting that it actually is a seedling of Knightii, so can Brug viruses be transmitted from seed from infected plants? Quite intriguing biologically lol.
You should sell it on Ebay Super rare new variegated brug for several hundred dollars haha.

I think I recall seeing a while back, didn't Cestrum grow a variegated seedling?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8779059

Yes , Lucas, the leaves definitely curl downwards. The green leaf looks normal , no curling .
Cestrum Did you grow a variegated brug or have you had any virus on knightii or old apricot ?
I will watch this fellow carefully to see what happens.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:32 PM

Post #8779145

That's something I hadn't heard of Lucas, a virus on Knightii...
Don't suppose you have any pics of it?
Jean, is there a thickening of those leaves...or is it just the pic?
cestrum did grow a variegated one...I remember that she was very pleased...our first variegated..

The snails are terrible Colleen...hundreds of baby snails...but I still can't step on them...
I should, it's far more humane than the bait...though that doesn't seem to be affecting them...
Here it is again Jean, you shouldn't have encouraged me...

cestrum, I am watching you post those pics and I can't get one on...
7 tries later and it went thru...

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 5:33 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 27, 2011
1:04 AM

Post #8779176

I have never seen a seed grow out with a virus ...that would be a first for me.
Could it be some sucking insect damage ?
Good luck with that Jean I hope it isn't a virus.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8779893

Well, Dianne, you just have to keep taking photos of your sanguinea until you get the *perfect* one. Which means photographing it at all its stages, at all angles and at different light levels thru the day and different weather conditions :-)

I thought that seed-grown brugs were free of viruses; it's one of the advantages of growing them that way. Could it have picked up a virus from the soil? (My variegated seedling died--of wilt--when it was still tiny, and that clearly is a soil-borne disease.) That seed would have come from the Melbourne knightii unless specifically labelled 'Ipswich knightii', and I don't remember it ever being virus affected. But even so, as said before, I didn't think that viruses could be transmitted by seed.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8779917

I've finally found that photo of my variegated brug seedling. (Using a third-party search application--I cannot tell you how badly the Search function has been screwed up in Windows 7: you can find the file manually, actually be staring at it in the Pictures folder, and yet the Search function will tell you that no such file exists!)

Anyway, here it is. I knew it was a Big Floppy Apricot cross, but from what I can see of the label, the parent was Ipswich knightii. (Something about the knightiis?) It's also bigger than I remember it--I thought it was a tiny seedling. Which makes me suspect that I've had another--much smaller--variegated seedling that died ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 27, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8780513

Well I bit the bullet today and threw out one of my 18mnth old babies...it was a white, rather floppy with very little perfume...about 6ft tall so I felt mean...no probs digging it out..I put the spade right next to the stem and went right thru the roots...surprisingly easy...I suppose it might grow from the roots now..

There was a little noid growing in one of the pots with a large seedling...it had come up months after the big one...so I took it out and gave it it's own pot...

I took a cutting of my friends Maya a couple of months back, but it kept on dying back until it was only 3 ins high...now it has grown a new shoot and it's about 5 ins high...and there are roots...yippee.
My first Knightii flower for the season is only a couple of days away...Clementine won't be far behind..
Pink Panther today.
I wonder when we will get a variegated one to grow to maturity from seed..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 28, 2011

Post #8780586

Jean the Iochroma australe alba has green buds swelling :)
and the other Iochroma cuttings are looking very good.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 28, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8781617

Thats great to hear Lucas. I am glad it has decided to grow for you.
Hope the cuttings all do well too.
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 28, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8781801

These brug seeds were too small to peel and the seedling has ended up growing right thru the seed casing. I've sprayed the casing and prised the casing off but the stem might have been weakened. If its stem breaks in the next week or two, I'll know why!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 28, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8782118

Now that the weather is starting to warm ever so slightly, I see new babies poking their heads up.
Lucas, I now have about 10 sangs sprouted.
I also have the first one of my own cross.
Oh joy !!! I'm a grandmother. The little fellow is standing up nice and straight. I hope more soon join him.

Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 28, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8782228

Took a better pic of the little confused seedling . ( knightii x old apricot)
It must be from the Melb, knightii ,Cestrum as there was no Ipswich on the envelope.
There is no lumpiness just the coloring and the leaves curl over.
jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 28, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8782229

Waynes 'Giant' 8 buds.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 28, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8782231

Forgot to add the pic of Giant.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 29, 2011
12:50 AM

Post #8782353

Jean, post your little unusual seedling over on the Brug thread..
Someone will know what it is..
The curling leaves would worry me a bit...but what do I know about how variegates grow from seed...nothing at all.
All I could find was that variegation is caused by a virus...
Anyone else have any ideas?

Congrats on your own babies starting to grow...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 29, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8783431

Yes, post the photo on one of the other forums--maybe BGI too. Someone is bound to have more info on variegated seedlings. Meanwhile, my seedpods seem to be falling off prematurely--the stem withers and down they come--probably because of the unusual number of frosty nights this winter. Which means that I have to sow the seeds immediately to retain any viability in them ... which makes for a lot of seedlings. If they germinate ...

This message was edited Aug 30, 2011 6:39 AM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 29, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8783789

I couldn't wait until summer so tried a batch of my own brug seeds in the sprouter. I wouldn't call it a success. While they have started sprouting, it looks like there's some white mould/fungus there too. I think it takes too long for the seeds to sprout--about 10 days for them to begin--and this allows the mould/fungus to form. Plus, I think the seeds really should be peeled to encourage faster sprouting/less fungal growth, and I just don't have the patience to do this with surplus seeds.

As I've just harvested another seedpod with white seeds in it (i.e no real corks on them), I might try sprouting half of them in the 4th tray of the sprouter and the other half in seedling mix, to compare the two.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 29, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8784256

Interesting trial, cestrum...
Keep us posted..

This message was edited Aug 30, 2011 3:03 PM
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

August 29, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8784345

Hello everyone. I can see that you have all been very busy. Good luck with all your X's and seed germination. Busy on all fronts here.

Thank you very much Cestrum for the lovely package of treasures! A wonderful surprise in my letter box this afternoon. All have been potted up and watered in. They are all so fresh, expertly collected, propagated and packaged! Thank you again. I will keep you posted as to their progress. Please remember Cestrum, anything we might have here, you are always welcome to.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 30, 2011
1:33 AM

Post #8784405

Great to hear from you Wayne, you are missed...

I wanted to look up an article I had read in an old gardening magazine so I thought that it was a good day to do it...
Flicking thru the pages I came across an article by Alistair...a 3 page spread on Brugmansias...this was written back in 2006..
It was such a good article...he talks about their history, their habits...the misnaming examples...Bucks Fizz should be used, not Brilliant Orange and he gives the reasons why...and he explains how the growers OS use pots to grow them, on account of the weather and how they do so well in them...lots of interesting points he made, so this little taste has made me wish his publishing date next year was a little sooner.
The magazine was a Spring edition of Your Garden in 2006.
The photos for the article were taken by Alistair and included Munchausen Pink, Aztec Gold, Buck's Fizz and a lovely shot of Dr Seuss, which he said was mostly virus infected...I wonder if this still applies.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011
3:28 AM

Post #8784464

Dianne ...Brilliant Orange and Buck's Fizz is the same plant . As discussed frequently there are still incorrect names floating around.

Wayne that looks awesome !!!

cestrum what an interesting experiment, perhaps too humid in that thingy.

had some interesting pics to look at great to see, sorry I can't add to them at the moment, I will just enjoy everyone else's for now.

repeating this article from the garden clinic for you .
http://gardenclinic.com.au/plant_of_the_week/exotic_and_fragrant/
By Alistair.

Check out the registry here where it says Brilliant Orange ...scroll over to the hard right to see Bucks Fizz and visa versa
http://www.abads.org/abads/Registry/namelist/
One day we will get it all sorted out.
Probably when Alistair's book comes out. :)

This message was edited Aug 30, 2011 9:39 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 30, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8785404

Alistair was explaining why Brilliant Orange for Buck's Fizz... Red Hot Pink for Munchausen Pink and Hot Pink for Ecuador Pink were unacceptable as official names, even though they are used here.

To use his words..."A name that exaggerates the colour is unacceptable...
International rules on nomenclature, prohibit purely descriptive names"...

For those of us who don't know these rules...I thought that it would be very useful.

Does anyone want to start a new thread?

This message was edited Aug 31, 2011 8:17 AM

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 30, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8786147

I am so happy. Just had a look and I have roots on a Brugmansia arborea cutting!
So much for being almost impossible... only 1 rooted though.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 30, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8786180

Well done Lucas...doesn't matter how many...you've done it.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 30, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8786191

Only took 3 months! lol
similar to sanguinea, possibly even longer.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 30, 2011
10:21 PM

Post #8786197

Bravo, Lucas. Now you have done it , the rest of us will have to try too.

More little sangs popping up here. Your cuttings still looking good.
Do you think they will be okay outside when the warm weather gets here and where do you keep yours ?
Morning sun, shade ??
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 30, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8786209

I think ideally site them somewhere where they receive morning sun and afternoon shade, but that is just my limited experience.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011

Post #8786222

Lucas They were above Y cuttings so you should have blooms pretty quickly ...congratulations !
Tell us what you did when you get a moment .
yes morning sun until about 11 ish then full or quite dappled arvo shade. Don't forget good drainage is a must on these ones.(edited to say ...speaking about the Arborea )

Dianne yes I recall seeing that somewhere ...perhaps in the old ABADs site.
I had forgotten it until you mentioned it. I must go through my old mags ...I still have almost everyone ever printed in my Library. If it was before I got to know more about Brugs I may have just read it and dismissed it. (I used to think the coloured ones were like some impossible exotic).Ouch throwing out Brugs, I haven't started to do that yet but I will have to start thinking about it. Not looking forward to that at all.

Colleen the creamy yellow buds are quite common to white blooms, as well as coloured ones too.
As you know, many coloured ones start out as white and then colour up in a day or two.
Some remain yellow in Winter and are white in Summer here, must be a temperature or shade thing.

Jean don't forget to keep us informed re your special bub ...
Well tomorrow is September so September thread will be in order ...who wants to start it ...not me ...someone with blooms.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2011 5:01 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 30, 2011
11:26 PM

Post #8786240

I've just transplanted my second arborea seedling to replace the one that died after transplanting earlier this year. Fingers crossed this one will survive.

Couldn't resist taking a photo of this subequal leaf on my 'beast' seedling, as it's a perfect example of how the leaf looks on an above-Y flowering stem. The snails haven't reached it ... yet!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011
11:36 PM

Post #8786251

And what a lovely leaf it is and yes a perfect shot of impending bloom leaf ^_^

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 31, 2011
12:27 AM

Post #8786270

Unless someone has a pic they would like to use, I vote that Jean puts the "Bub" up for September...we will all be following it anyway...

cestrum, I didn't know what a "subequal" leaf was...another site starting with C had an excellent explanation...
I must have had a subequal leaf on my Topsy, because the bud was there before the obvious Y...

You learn something every day...names yesterday...subequal leafs today...tomorrow I will be looking for subequal leafs...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 31, 2011
1:54 AM

Post #8786304

Okay, new thread opened with the bay .
. We have gone here, follow us and see what surprises await.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217188/
Jean.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America