Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 12, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8752072

I have a little 200 gallon pond and am currently using a very small pump to circulate the water. I have no filter and the line from the pump runs up and over some rocks to make a tiny water fall. I would like to redo this part for next spring and get a new pump and some sort of small filter to get rid of debri and act to break down waste. I am tired or taking the pump out to get rid of algae and debris. Any suggestions or ideas? I want something simple and easy to maintain.
Also, do they make an attachment that creates a flattened stream of water? I mean something that will attach to the end of the hose coming from the pump that will allow the water to cascade instead of stream out.
C
DavEdsel
Amherst, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8752133

Hello.

I have had great success over the years with PondMaster pumps of all sizes. The smaller ones come with sponge filters that attach to the intake and work fairly well. As far as algae, you can try products like Algeifix which is a liquid additive. Just follow directions carefully.

Your local pond shop or an online retailer may have something you are looking that attaches to the end of the hose. What I finally found best was a small water fall box that the hose attaches to and creates a great affect.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 12, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8752139

Is the box hard to hide?
DavEdsel
Amherst, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8752256

No, they are pretty small and black. We just pile rocks up around the waterfall box and it disappears fairly easily. Some places call them :"filterfalls".

Here is a link to what Pondbiz.com is selling: http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb1/smartlist_480/waterfalls.html
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 12, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8752349

That pretty expensive if they don't include a pump! What am I looking at? Just the box?
DavEdsel
Amherst, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8752389

Yes, just the box. I saw a small one on that site for $34.95. You will need hose as well. Shop around.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8752648

Newton

In order too have a flattened waterfalls, you would either need to use some liner and rocks to get that type of effect or use a waterfalls box with a weir like Dave shows in his link.

For a 200 gallon pond, the best approach would be a small pump with a sponge like attachment that will need to be cleaned under a stream from your hose on a daily basis.

Smaller ponds tend to require more maintenance than larger ponds. However, I will tell you that we spray off the filter media in our skimmer twice daily - more in the early spring during start up.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 12, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8752667

I have not had a filter and it is fine so far. I won't be cleaning anything everday LOL so maybe I will just buy a bigger pump and not use a filter.
C
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8752684

newtonsthirdlaw wrote:I would like to redo this part for next spring and get a new pump and some sort of small filter to get rid of debri and act to break down waste. I am tired or taking the pump out to get rid of algae and debris.

Also, do they make an attachment that creates a flattened stream of water? I mean something that will attach to the end of the hose coming from the pump that will allow the water to cascade instead of stream out.
C

It all depends on what you want...

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 12, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8752690

I was hoping for a piece that would fit onto a tube coming from the pump that would make the water come out in a wide manner as opposed to shooting out in a stream.
C
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8752717

You are either into a set up like Dave showed you or making your own. You could have the tubing from your pump go into a bucket with a strip cut lengthwise so that it mimics a weir. You would have to figure a way to anchor the tubing in the bucket - perhaps a hole drilled into the bottom of the bucket on the opposite side of the weir you have made. Then you can cover the bucket with rock so that it looks more natural.

Often ponding involves homemade answers to problems or using things for purposes other than which they were originally intended. I cannot tell you how many times DH and I have been to our local hardware store looking for an item that will suit our purpose, which with the pond is different than the original use of that product. When we go to this hardware store, the people that work there will ask what we are trying to accomplish and seem to enjoy the fact that we are trying to manufacture a solution to whatever it is we are trying to surmount.

Newton - I meant no offense with what I wrote previously.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8764875

My little pond is a 125 gallon stock tank and I use a little giant pump. I only have to take it out about once every few months to clean out any roots that are trying to grow into the little grill around the intake.. I have some cattails in my pond that grow massive root systems.. time to clean out again. I have 6 goldfish in the pond that keep mosquitos at bay and there is no cleaning to be done. I had an algae bloom once a few years ago and it ended up clearing by itself. I use a watering can for my fountain that I run a tubing from the pond up a shepherds hook into the can. Had to open the end of the can to accomodate the increased flow. The biggest problem I have ever had was this winter when temps were in the teens for days at a time I had to keep going out to break the ice and keep an opening for oxygen exchange until it warmed up.

I have had this little pond for about 5 years now. It took several years to figure out a way to keep the water level up without chlorinating my fish and killing them...did that a few times with the water hose.. filling and forgetting while doing other things! Now have an auto fill that was designed for a swamp cooler. The small amounts it adds at a time does not bother the fish with the chlorine because it evaporates from the water.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8777063

Hi Newton,
I don't have one on my first pond but my son made himself a Skippy filter from directions on internet and it works fine for him. Very cheap to make. I have bought alll my ponding supplies from Craigslist and replace with new when its necessary. Pondmaster pumps are good but I found a lower voltage pump when I replaced mine and it takes less current to run. I have to have a 5000GPH pump as I have a 36" waterfall burried in ground with just top sticking out which I camaflouge with large pots of ferns sitting right behind falls. I hose all the muck out about every 3 weeks. I use poly filtration medium which I cut to fit the waterfall and the skimmer basket. I did have problems with dirty water until I spent $340. on a large UV clarifier and now its clear as drinking water. You definitely can build your own filtration system. I just lucked out and got all my stuff originally for $200. Made mistakes with the first pond but won't make the same with this next one. Just hope I don't invent new ones.
I truly enjoy my ponds and fish and hope you do also. Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8792046

Bonnie...you sound like me...we learn as we go along, change things numerous times, and right when we're happy...we decide we need a bigger pond! :)
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8794345

I have a 200 gal pond and a small pump. I just set the pump in a black nursery pot and fill the pot with rocks. Then I sink it to the bottom of the pond. I clean it out every few months or maybe twice a year. The rocks act as a filter.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8810113

Hi Merry Mary and All,
We started to put in another new pond which is ending up being 2 ponds with stream in between. Bought 1 ton of gray cobblestone this morning and have been coping pond with it until largest rock slipped out of my grasp and went down my left leg. After I whistled Dixie and put some ice on it went back out and did more. One pond is having cave in problems from rocks falling in along edge. Will have to shore it up with some old siding boards we have. First pond we really had cave in problems with so it is all cement block around the walls and then EPDM liner. I don't care for the shape but had to do it. Plants in pots help hide it. I cemented between rocks on first one and looks like I'll have to do the same on these to make it sturdy for grand and great grand children who love to sit on stones and dangle their feet in.
I;m originally from CT. and I remember how we used to throw rocks out of fields to prepare for planting. Down here in Fl. rock is all shipped in so I had to pay $400. for just 1 ton of rock. Ug!! A place in Orlando that builds ponds told me he would build me a pond the size of my first one about 10X14 for $25,000. all rocked up from bottom up.
Guess you know we built it ourselves as that was definitely not an option. I got 1 ton of Tenn. field stone for that one from a man that became disabled and got rid of his pond. The other day on some forum a gal had a blue koi with spots along its sides and it was simply beautiful. Someday I hope to have one.

PS Merry Mary-I'm working my head off on getting things ready for plant RU but after hope to get to see your ponds and learn more from you. Glad we live close.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8810289

Bonnie...don't hurt yourself getting ready for the round-ups... Everyone enjoys seeing the progress from one round-up to the next... I was trying to net a few of my little guys, to see if there's anything worthy of bringing you. So I decided to just bring them anyway, let you watch them get bigger for a while, and then decide for yourself what you want to keep or not. I'm trying to find something that looks like it's developing into a blue to include...but they're still pretty small at this point. There may be an asagi or 2 in there, but I haven't yet seen anything turning into a shusui (both are blue, but the shusui's are more likely what you're looking for) I'll keep looking!
:)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8810303

PS- my new pond rebuild is ongoing too...and I'm doing it alone with no equipment (it's all hand digging for me!) I'm sure it won't be ready until spring...so as of now, I have my bigger guys in my pool (drained and now non-chlorinated water, of course). The littler koi are in my 2 smaller ponds, spawn are in my 3 small preformed plastic ponds.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8812421

Merry Mary,
When I am through with this roundup I will be happy to come and help you dig out your pond. I did my 2 with a shovel in 2 days. One is about 6X13 and the other is round 5 feet. I dug too much out for liner and had to fill back in on the large one.
Guess I got carried away. Unless a pond is REALLY huge people with bobcats or backhoes don't want to fool with them.
My Kubota has a small bucket on front but once you get a ways it can't pull back out even in 4 wheel drive. Husb. is working on bldg. filter now and then he will install skimmer and UV clarifier. Got the walls all rocked up in the larger one but I don't hink I'll rock up the smaller one as sides are too straight. I'll have to buy more river rock for both bottoms. Can't wait till you see them. I know there not professional but that doesn't bother me as long as they stay clean and fish are happy. Belleve me any fish you bring will be beautiful. I thank God every day for my being able to dig ponds etc. at my age (74). My husb. has lung desease and runs out of wind too fast for a lot of digging but thats ok. he does the technical stuff. I'm pretty good at installing irrigation system too. I put 82 sprinkler heads and 8 large rotors in my front yard about 5 years ago and its still runing. Husb. put 1 1/2 hp pump in our canal and thats my water supply except fornow water level is down too low. Boy do we need rain.
Looking forward to seeing you soon. Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8828499

Pond is up and running. I bought a bottle of that good bacteria stuff. I was told by several people that was what was wrong with my first pond so I'll put it in this one. ANY THOUGHTS ANYONE???

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8828875

Definitely start it off right with anti-chlorine products, kick start bacteria, and a little pond salt. Let the bacteria get going, then add the salt when you add the fish. Do you want some small ones now, and not wait until your roundup?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8832492

Mary,
No chlorine in our water it's well water. Good thing I waited and didn't add bacteria until we get leaks solved. Are you referring to rock salt or a special pond salt?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8832601

Bonnie

You can buy pond salts, but they will cost you a lot more than is necessary. You can also use solar salt in the blue bag, rock salt and pickling salt. What you want is a salt without the iodine.

Carolyn
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8833310

Both Lowes and WalMart have the water softner salt in the 40lb bag. It's about 4 or 5dollars...Look specifically on the label for "no additives" and you're good to go! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2011
3:00 AM

Post #8833798

Got a stack of bags in our water softner shed. However, I'll read the labels and make sure its OK. No additives.
Been praying this morning for leaks to be solved on little stream bed. My poor husb. is really sick of rework.
Got garden plot ready, going to town for seeds and plants today.

How much salt to add to 1,000 gal. pond? Don't want to pickle the fish. LOL

Thanks much Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8833882

http://www.koi-pond-guide.com/pond-salt-reference.html

Here you go! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8833919

Mary

Interesting reading on the koi types - I do have one that I am unsure of his type. I'll have to post a picture to see what you think.

Carolyn
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8834939

Thanks Mary,
Put it in my favorites to have for future reference. Great site.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8834995

Mary

Can you tell me what kind of koi the orange and black one in the upper left corner is? He is mostly orange with some black, but seems to have almost like a black zipper... he was born in my pond a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8835071

Carolyn,
Its beautiful.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2011
1:29 AM

Post #8835271

Bonnie

thank you. Not sure if it is a good enough picture to be able to tell what type of koi he is...
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8835614

http://valentinac.com/koi/shusui.html

Try this link. I can't quite tell if your fish is scaleless, or has normal scales. It looks to be scaleless, with only larger scales running down it's spine, and perhaps(?) it's lateral line (down it's sides, parallel with it's spine) If so, it would be a shusui. Although most are blue, traditionally, there are also red ones, and occassionally a yellow one.
Not 100 percent of the time, but most of the time...koi that have red, have an "h" name...Hi Bekko for example. When I was first learning, I'd remember it be thinking of a "red" "H"ot poker... red and H .
Things referring primarily to yellow is Ki...K sounding like canary...hence yellow. Lol, I know it's goofy, but that's how I remember things...

Doitsu are fish that primarily don't have scales, and have more of a dolphin skin. They were created in Germany, hence Deutch, hence, Doitsu. Some will list them as german scale, just because it's easier to type than Doitsu. :) However, shusui themselves, have limited scales, so just by their name of shusui means you don't add the doitsu description.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8835635

Mary

I did know there were yellow shishui - I love those, but was not aware of the red ones. If I am remembering correctly, I do think he is scaleless. It has been awhile since I have laid stomach down on the deck to get a good look at my koi. I probably should do that - I like to check each and every one of them out from time to time to make sure everyone is healthy and there are no issues.

Thank you.

Carolyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America