Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: Ficus Triangularis Variegata

Communities > Forums > Indoor Gardening and Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Indoor Gardening and HouseplantsReplies: 4, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8752384

Do stem cuttings work? What is best time of the year for this? I have 3 small ones outside for the summer and they are doing well now. People ask me for one.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8754283

Use a pencil-thick internodal cutting taken from just below a node with a SHARP cutting tool. If your tool isn't sharp, it reduces your chance for success markedly. You can take the cutting long, and then clean it up with a straight-edge razor blade, but sharp is important.

Insert the cutting into a VERY well drained medium. I use bonsai soil that has all fines screened out.

Thumbnail by tapla
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8754287

You can use perlite screened through a regular size kitchen strainer and rinsed as a medium. Notice the wick in this one, also a Ficus cutting that has struck. It's in a large prescription bottle.

Thumbnail by tapla

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8754299

Make your own greenhouse. This one has very dwarf hemlock cuttings cooking in it now. After the cuttings strike, remove the cap & wait a few days, then uncover the cutting entirely. Limit the number of leaves on the cutting to 3 or 4, or cut leaves in half across the veins. Yogurt cups work very well, too. Full, but open shade is best. Rooting hormone unnecessary.

Questions?

Al

Thumbnail by tapla

gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8760499

Typical Dave's Garden - you either get no response or some vague answer with lack of details that really help. (Tounge in Cheek.)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Indoor Gardening and Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
anyone know how to root norwalk pines?? tom1953 4 Jun 14, 2010 5:43 PM
Ant's in my Plants! millertime71 9 Aug 26, 2009 6:53 PM
Houseplant Photos jdee 31 Apr 5, 2013 5:45 AM
Variegated Begonia Semperflorens mkjones 9 Jul 26, 2007 5:39 PM
A couple of silly questions... danak 9 Jun 18, 2012 6:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America