-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 12, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8752700

I have moved the Tea Room because the path was getting long again.
This is my third try to get this posted. I have been thrown all over DG as I try.
Hopefully I will succeed this time.
I am not going to repeat all I had written as I just cant remember it all now.
I am going out to sit in the contemplating garden and think of nice things.
You can all help yourselves to a cuppa and cake.

I will be back when I am not so annoyed.
Have a happy day and enjoy the weekend.

We came from here ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1199461/

Jean.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2011 9:51 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 12, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8752727

Oh Jean I love this new Tea Room ...it's very cool here but the day will warm up in a couple of hours.
I ordered a whole lot of veggie seeds last night ...so hard to make up my mind ...I finally made the list up and did it !
Now for the hard yards ahead setting up my new veggie plot. I am quietly excited though.

I post this every year and am a great Jackie French fan.
The gardening calender Jackie French style

http://www.jackiefrench.com/cal.html

Enjoy the day everyone :)

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 12, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8752731

I already had a cuppa but the new tearoom looks so lovely that I thought I would have another one. Still overcast here but quite mild outside. I'm getting the washing done and then I have to go down the street and pick up a script then the rest of the day is for me to do what I want to. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 12, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8753040

I had the same trouble when I started the new Brug thread, Jean...took me 4 tries...I tend to save long posts now, just in case...
You chose a lovely place to cool down in...I might take my cuppa there and join you and Colleen.
I can't be bothered doing anything today...I had washing too Colleen...there seemed to be tons of it..

Chrissie thanks for the calendar..Jackie French is one of my favourites too.
What veggie seeds did you decide on?

Charleen, thanks for the butterfly...here's a Molasses muffin each for the longears...I make them for Mick and he loves them...

I don't fancy a horse Muffin, so I might get a shortbread and another cuppa...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 12, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8753123

Here is what I ordered

mixed chilli selection
mixed cucumber selection
mixed lettuce selection
Giant Italian Parsley
Giant Red Mustard
Jap Pumpkin
mixed radish selection
Giant silverbeet
sphagetti squash
zucchini black
Goldenberry Aunt Molly (a hybrid cape gooseberry) I have the normal one and love it.
Tamarillo
Pinapple sage (plant)
Tumeric tubers
New Guinea Beans
Oca NZ Yams

I had a whole bunch of veggie seeds thrown out with my Brug seeds and I wanted to buy some more so now I feel better. These are local so no customs problems.
Anyone grown yams before?
Lost my pineapple sage in a bad freeze so I am happy to have that back too.
I have not grown turmeric before so anyone who has ...any hints, I grow cardamon well here.
I copied and pasted my list so it would not go missing.
I am thinking of buying some spuds too any recommendations?
The new low carb one sounds interesting but it needs cooler conditions anyone grown them ?
or any of the New Guinea Beans ?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 13, 2011
12:39 AM

Post #8753226

Put in some lemon thyme or lemon grass, you can use it for so many things..as well as the Pineapple sage.
I love it in potato salad or drinks.

Like the sound of the hybrid cape gooseberry, great little croppers aren't they.
The only time that I have ever grown potatoes, they were spotty inside, even though they looked great.
I grow the Jap pumpkin too...and Gold Nugget.

Grew a Tamarillo once, ...don't know what I thought it would taste like.but wasn't impressed...I think that it's more a relish/jam thing.
I had to look up New Guinea beans...type of Gourd, used as Squash, according to DG...sounds good.

Grew spaghetti squash once, but never used it...I think that I was taken in by the thought of making spaghetti with a fork...Have you done that?

Chrissy..I have some climbing French bean seeds that I plant every year, so if you would like some, they are very prolific and reliable...I have had them for so long, I have forgotten their name..they have a pretty red flower..I think they are Scarlet runners.

You should start a thread, all about your vegetable garden...that would be very interesting.

Jean...I know what you mean about the snail bait, I was looking at mine just before I read your post.
I have little furry lumps all over the place and the snails go merrily on their way.
Dianne

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 13, 2011
1:59 AM

Post #8753242

Show me the way to Tamarillo,..,.,Jean,put beer trays out,instead of snail bait- its much more successful,.,.More excitement for me today, my Martagon seed''R.O Backhouse'' is coming up,.,.more beautys,..,

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 13, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8753260

Hello everyone!
I noticed my Cat's Whiskers has died.
Does this plant grow from cuttings...if so...would anyone have a few bits to spare?

Just heard there has been an arrest in the Daniel Morcombe case...I am so pleased. Maybe his parents will be able to have closure at last.

Must go watch the finish of the match between the Lions and the Suns.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 13, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8754281

Good morning everyone. A beautiful day yesterday and looks like being the same today. . I finally got to the weeds around the irises with the Roundup.
I also started on moving my brugs around. Some are now in the ground . I will pot some of the smaller ones into larger pots today.

Anthony, thanks for the hint on the beer , but I would have to put out half a brewery for the amount of sluggies here. Besides, our maggies might decide to have a bit of a tipple too.
I have large saucers of water on the ground for the lizards, and I can just see one having a beer instead then inviting all his friends. lol
I have a little flower on L. Cappucino. It is very pretty but only small because the bulbs had large shoots when I bought them very early on. Next year they will be large.

Hello Chrissy. Thats a great list of vegetables you have there.
I used to love growing vegies but its just not economical now for only two of us. I did try spaghetti squash years ago when it first appeared in the shops. It is rather bland like all squash but quite nice with a bit of sauce.

Hello Colleen and Dianne. . Glad you enjoyed relaxing with your cuppa out in the Chinese garden.

Hello Elaine, Pam, Karen and Teresa. I hope your weather is as nice as mine at the moment.
Hubby says very cold next week again.

I am off outside to enjoy the sun even though its still a bit chilly.
I will leave you with this yummy Berry Shortcake.
( with cream. I can just hear Brian saying )

Have a happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 13, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8754362

Good morning everyone. Well not too much getting done here I'm afraid. I repotted a few brugs into bigger pots and planted another 2 out the front. I have suavelons to go out there today if the fog ever lifts. I hope the boys are rugged up. It's pretty cold. I pick them up at 1.30 today. I hope they're having a good time although I bet Cameren is stirring them up a bit. He's so head strong, and it's no use trying to bully him, he just digs his heels in like a mule. I wonder where he gets that from????? lol I had a lovely day yesterday and was in bed by 10.30 and had a lovely sleep and it's so nice and quiet. Well I had better get moving and have my brekkie so that I can get outside when this fog lifts. Hope everyone is well and I'll be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 13, 2011
11:30 PM

Post #8755209

Hi everyone ...I have been lucky enough to receive some field mushrooms this arvo ...I love them !

I have started to clear stuff and I am a bit tired. Doing it in 1/2 hour shifts because I can't be out of reach by my brother so it's slow and steady. Gosh there is tons of stuff to hack.

Sorry your Cat's Whiskers died Marlene, I hope you can find a replacement.

Jean I usually have done the round up thing by now but there is rain hanging around almost every day and it is too expensive to waste. Wish the days would be dry just for three or four days straight.
it's really difficult when time is not your own.

There is still a chance of Frost here so I am sitting on my hands re some seeds etc.
Then it will be rush rush rush !

I have grown and really enjoyed Tamarillo before ...they had beautiful purple blooms that were as fragrant as the Snail creeper, and I quite liked the tropical look too ...they lasted until we had hard frosts (about two/three years) I don't think they are long lived. The secret is to make sure they are really ripe. If you try to eat them before that they will burn the skin off your lips they are so acid until mature, I know because it happened to me :) well we all learn by experience don't we.
Many of those tart kind of fruits are like that, they must be ripe.

About the spuds, the best I ever grew were in the no dig garden ...it kept them clean and they grew very well. I just shoved some into the straw borders (under the straw). I think they were pontiac (just from the shop) I washed them well then let them sit in the sun for a few days to green and sprout a little then planted them between the sheets of hay (Lucerne).
I think I may do that again.

Yes stay rugged up colleen there is still some Winter yet, this is the worse time of the year for catching the various coughs and flu.
Enjoy your evening everyone !

This message was edited Aug 14, 2011 5:32 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 14, 2011
12:40 AM

Post #8755255

Bloody computers!!!!!!!! I was in DG this morning just reading something and a blue screen with white writing came up and poof I couldn't get it to come back on. I turned it off and back on still the same so took the back off and made sure everything was plugged in turned it back on still nothing. I rang John's friend who is an IT and he talked me through a few things, still nothing. Then all of a sudden it decided to work again. Windows started up and took it back to a restore point and whammo back to normal. [touch wood] I said to Joel "what happened" and he said "how long is a piece of string" in other words "who knows". Well all I know is I'm back checking on "my friends" again thank goodness. I hope you've all had a great day. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 14, 2011
3:24 AM

Post #8755283

we had the most wonderful morning here - sunny & warm & my dog training class went really well.
Now we have a nasty change & possibly a worse snow storm on the way than we had last time.
Wellington already had snow, it is hard to predict if it will hit here or blow out to sea...
there was panic buying at the supermarket yesterday, I was working nights so hubby went shopping but bread & milk were sold out - got most of what we needed so as long as the power stays on we are ok.
Hubby went out yesterday to look at a plane...
we now own an Auster J5
and enough spares to build another 3/4 of a plane...
good thing I got the job i interviewed for, the extra money & weekends off will come in handy.
His friend that went with him to look - and owns an Auster of a different model has a wife who likes wine & is a keen gardener, i see some pretty great get togethers coming up!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 14, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8756285

Good morning everyone. A beautiful day yesterday. I repotted all the bonsais and enjoyed sitting in the sun while doing them.
this morning is overcast and looks like rain. Hubby did say cold and rain were forecast this week, but not right at the start.
There goes mu plan for the day.
I'll have to find something to do in the greenhouse.

Anthony, I have little heads popping up in lots of lilium pots. Its funny to see the tiny mound of potting mix rising up like mini volcano, before the little green shoot pops out.

Teresa, You will certainly have lots of fun filled weekends coming up by the sound of those friends.
I hope you dont get too much snow. Copper will not be happy.

Hello Chrissy, your vegie garden is going to be quite something when you get it all done.
I have done the spud thing with straw too. Years ago , before I met hubby, I just spread the spuds on the ground and covered with lots of straw. I kept adding to it as the leaves grew until I had lovely big plants.
When I wanted spuds, I just lifted the straw and grabbed what I wanted .
One main thing to remember is to keep the tubers covered at all times . If they get any sun at all they go green and are dangerous to eat.
So I have read in my garden book.

Hello Colleen. Hope the computer stays well behaved now for you.
We have the odd time when our darn email locks up and keeps sending the same email over and over.
After finally getting someone of reasonable intelligence from Bigpond, I can now fix the problem myself , but it can be so annoying as it stops everything else coming through .
Isnt it marvellous what one can still learn to do even when we never grew up with computers ?

Hello everyone else.
Charleen, hope Charley is not eating too many cookies.
Louise, how are things over your way ? Pats for the darling girls.

Better put out something nice and then get on with doing something outside before it does decide to rain.
Enjoy this Blueberry Coffee Cake
Happy day
Jean ☼ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 14, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8756317

Good morning everyone ...nurse comes this morning so back later ...yes you keep topping up the spuds with mulch.
Enjoy the morning !
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 14, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8756686

well we had snow over night & woke to a good thick blanket of white.
More has been falling & hail as well.
It is freezing!
I miss my fire...
have the heaters up full & it is still a bit cool in here.
Photo of snow build up at the back door

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 14, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8756690

and the back yard this morning

Thumbnail by dalfyre

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 15, 2011
1:10 AM

Post #8756984

enjoy the snow teresa!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 15, 2011
2:58 AM

Post #8757019

Yikes Teresa !!!!! that looks pretty BUT !!!!
I reckon you must have had enough by now ...can anything else happen.

I am sniffling and without a voice right now, the thought of all that snow gives me the shivers, what happens to the garden under that :( ...awe.

I am not going to complain about 2 and 3 degrees after look at that !

Jean I think I may give blueberries another go this year, they have ones that grow in warmer climates but you must keep them in acid soil .I love them any way they come.

Colleen dodgy computers ...yep can drive you nuts, don't feel too bad about it even the Bank's computers went haywire ...

Dianne I will send you some of the special gooseberry seeds, you sent me those Laxa seeds. :)

Waving to all the lurkers :) enjoy the evening.
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
┊ ┊ ┊ ☽
┊ ┊ ☆
┊ ☽
☆ Funny things happening in the sky.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 15, 2011
3:24 AM

Post #8757038

Hello to everyone. Brrrrr...that snow looks cold, Teresa, but beautiful in its way too. Snow, fires, the world has gone crazy. Bushfires have begun early, due to the dry conditions we have. Can't win.

Had a lovely visit with my uncle at the coast today. They are both 90, and an amazing couple. Inspirational really. Hope they live forever. We need more people like them in this crazy world.

I feel deeply for the Morcombes. It has been too long, and the pain now must be unbearable. I pray they find his remains so they can bring him home and give him the burial he deserves.

My mini peach trees have blossoms. I notice buds starting to appear on other plants too. Spring is coming.

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 15, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8758055

Morning all, tea is on Jean, I'm watching the snow in NZ while I boil the kettle...ooh it looks cold.
The blossom is starting to come out on all the trees now...
Very pretty times ahead...

Colleen, hope that computer of yours is up and running today...such a nuisance.

Lovely to have relatives, well and independent at that age, Karen...My great aunt passed away 3 yrs ago, she was the eldest in my immediate family at 91...now my mum is the eldest and she is 86.

A bit of repotting for me today...Hope the Morecombes get the peace that they deserve.

Hope all is ok with your new job Teresa...Nice to have your own plane...
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 15, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8758089

Good morning everyone. No rain here this morning as yet. I am not holding my breath.
It rained all day yesterday so nothing was done outside. I sat and read most of the day. Really lazy.
I did go out and look around for 5 minutes during a time when the rain eased up.
Lots of daffies , liliums poking heads up, even a hyacinth I had long forgotten is flowering.
The blood plum is a mass of white blossom. It seemed to all open at once when the sun was out on the weekend.
I see lots of new shoots on the roses too.
I moved a large blue plectranthus when I put up the new greenhouse. I divided it into lots of pieces and now there are green shoots all over them. Should b every pretty when in flower.

Teresa, you are going to need a snowmobile there soon. I do hope Mother Nature gives you all a rest for a while now.

Colleen, I bet the boys were full of news on their weekend. You will have a yard full of brugs . We will never find you among them and the cacti.
I see you are definitely turning into a brom collector too.

Dianne, do you have all these awful diseases too. ? Plantitis ot collectoritis. I dont feel so bad with all my babies now that you are catching up.

Anthony, I have a new daffie out. It was given to me and named as Roaring Lion . Do you know it ? I'll add a pic after this post. I do have a double that you named as Van Scion, but this one is different.

Hello Pam, Karen, Chrissy and Elaine.

Charleen and Louise, I hope all is well over your side of the world.
Pats for Charley and the darling girls.

Better move myself and be a bit domestic. I see a bit of dust so I will spend a bit of time inside until I see what the weathe ris going to do.
Looks like being cold but I can still do things out there if the rain holds off.
Have a great day and stay safe.
Heres something decadent for an indulgence on a dull day . Black Forest Cake
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 15, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8758102

Heres my new daffie flower. It was named as Roaring Lion, but I cant find any daff with that name and its not exactly like Van Scion either.
Seems to have more petals in the centre with some of the ones sticking out around the centre, being very light , almost white.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 15, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8758109

This is the other double , Van Scion.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 15, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8758154

Good morning everyone ...that snow is a bit of a shocker, I hope that cold stays away from here. I think poor NZ has suffered enough this year.

Love the apple blossoms ! ...not a single blossom here so far, no citrus yet either usually they are blooming at this time of the year, I think it is the clouds again and the overnight temps.

Jean my daffys and hyacinths never bloom a second year, I used to dig them up and store them in the second fridge but after a while I just gave up.

I hope everyone enjoys their morning ...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 15, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8758505

Jean,the Van Scion, is the one they had on the Burkes Backyard many years ago. ,naming it 'Aussie''-,Because it was green/gold,..,They are all different,not two are the same,.,.Dianne has one as well,.,.,.The roaring lion looks good though!!

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 16, 2011
12:23 AM

Post #8758897

How about that...you said that they were all different, Anthony and Jean has the living proof.
Here's mine.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 16, 2011
1:06 AM

Post #8758918

Anyone know the name of this plant. I think it is a herb.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 16, 2011
1:24 AM

Post #8758921

wish I had planted tulips... they like a good chill.
I think most of my plants will be ok, they recovered after the last snow fall.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 16, 2011
1:31 AM

Post #8758922

i probably have a 100 more, you could sit side by side and look for differences,..,this weather has been great for the lilium seedlings,everythings popping up 'so exciting', so much it has spurred me on to plant more seeds,.,.more longiflorum bulbs purchased today ''christmas lilies''-big fat tennis ball sized bulbs,fit for a king,..,i felt nasty putting them in 8'' pots,.Each year,when i do my 1st lily market stall,i have familiar customers, make a b-line for my ''christmas lilys'', and they are always the 1st to sell out,.,.The longiflorum class at the january lily show is like ,the grand bull class,at the royal easter show,''very cut throat'',blooms the size of encyclopedias,with various tinges of greens ,yellows and reds,.,.I never have a chance,.,.Gee! i hope this post goes through,ive written more than 5 lines and it usually fails-anthony Beautiful day here today ,Teresa

This message was edited Aug 16, 2011 3:32 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 16, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8759930

Good morning everyone. I've been locked out of DG for about 3 hours. Has anyone else had any problems? The snow looks lovely Teresa but I bet it's cold. We had showers all day yesterday and it really poured last night. It was so heavy it woke me up. Everything looks nice and fresh this morning. The sun is shining and there's a slight breeze but generally a lovely morning. Well must go and do some housework. be back later. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 16, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8760036

Good morning everyone. Well at least it is still morning. I thought it may be after lunch before I could get in to DG.
I have had this problem a few times as have the rest of you by the sound of it. Only DG, nothing wrong with any other sites. Very frustrating.

Teresa, You can enjoy your snow all by yourself. Its cold enough here without snow too.
Yes tulips are wonderful to grow in the cold. Probably why mine grew so well last year after hiding for a while. I have some new ones in pots now. Must get more next year. I pop them out in the ground to do their own thing when they are done ,as they never flower so well after the first time.
They must take time to get going again , because after a year or so in the ground they seem to rejuvenate and flower nicely.

Very very windy all night and still going. Luckily nothing has fallen over but there are small branches and twigs everywhere. That the darn gum trees for you. Continuously dropping twigs & leaves

Anthony, we will have to put out a search party to find you wen all those liliums grow tall. My poor daffies are getting knocked around in the wind. They should have a stronger stem like the liliums.

Dianne, I put a third double daff over on the Aug flowering thread. They are all so pretty. The other looks a bit like two daffs pushed together. It has more of the trumpet.

Marlene, your flower looks a bit like a plectranthus, but I am not sure. There are different types. I have a few here and one looks a bit like yours. Mine usually dont have shiny leaves though.

Hello Chrissy. Your daffs etc probably didnt get that cold they need at the right time. There are lots of pretty bulbs you can grow that we cant here in the colder areas.

Hello everyone else. You will have to have your nibbles for afternoon tea now with me being so late.
Here is a very tasty Apple Cake.

Have great day and I hope your weather is lovely wherever you are
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 16, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8760165

Grey skies but it isn't cold yet..
Anthony, when is the Daffy show, that you made the sign for?...did I miss it?

Sorry Marlene. no ideas from me...
I grow the Hyacinths year to year, my only problem is forgetting to take them out of their pots and letting them get too wet over summer...they rot..
I bought some mauve ones this year...they are really lovely.
They look so pretty with a Ranunculus of a similar colour...
I put that on the August thread..
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 17, 2011
1:30 AM

Post #8760712

No Dianne, didnt miss it,.,.ive been so busy,i hav'nt taken a pic;; 3-4 sept
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 17, 2011
3:03 AM

Post #8760746

Marlene could your mystery plant be a salvia?
does this look like it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Salvia_farinacea1.jpg
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 17, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8761751

Good morning everyone. Still very windy and wet too.
Shopping day today so I am hoping it is a bit better over in Hamilton. The weather can vary so much here over just a few miles.
Looks like a coat day anyway.
Marlene, Teresa is right. I did think salvia too at first but one needs to see the stems
It does resemble some of my salvias.
Better just say hello to all and put out something nice to eat for you all.
Hubby will be wanting to get going early as usual.
Enjoy this Coffee and Walnut Cake.
Keep warm and dry.
Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

gardengal
se qld
Australia

August 17, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8761848

Marlene, your mystery plant looks to me likely to be one of the basils. I have never gotten into them well enough to be able to narrow it down any more. The flowers look very basil-like to me.

(wanders off and paints the l'ittle room' and comes back splattered in paint from top to bottom)

Morning all. Does paint 'skin' quicker when it gets old? We bought paint nearly 5 years ago when we first came, and painted over the rooms with the really ghastly colours (such as dark purple) but other jobs have meant that the majority of the house still has to be painted. Within 5 minutes of hitting the tray this morning, the paint was beginning to skin. Seems strange for this time of year.

A couple of pics from our visit to Myall Park (out past Chinchilla) on the weekend

Thumbnail by gardengal

gardengal
se qld
Australia

August 17, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8761860

While I was off painting Jean came along ... the Salvia is probably what your plant is, Marlene, but if not, check out the basils.

This one is Eucalyptus rhodantha, huge flowers about 9cm accross - not as big as macrocarpa, but stunning nonetheless. There are a few plants on the must have list now since last weekend. They have some spectacular hakeas growing out there, and while I always thought it would be too humid for them here, I figure it's worth a try.

Thumbnail by gardengal

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 17, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8762354

Back from shopping. The day went from wet & windy to even more wet & windy. Luckily not too cold .
I bought no plants . None out on the orphan shelf to buy so I came home empty handed.
Pam when you finish your painting, you can come and start here.
I am going to get myself a cuppa and sit by the heater and relax for awhile.
I have to make the bed first as the new electric blanket had to go back with a faulty switch. I was not coming home without a new one so left the bed until I got back.
I must be getting old as we never had electric blankets years ago. I did have a hot water bottle for my feet though. Not sure I would trust one these days . They dont look as solid as the old ones.
Keep warm everyone and I'll see you all tomorrow. Hubby tells me it will be around 21C on the weekend. He is always telling e the weather and sometimes even gets it right , so I hope this is one of those times.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 18, 2011
12:34 AM

Post #8762376

Lovely pics Pam...that's the trouble when you go to beautiful gardens...lists...lol

Jean, I love my electric blanket too...

My TV went kerplunk yesterday...it's the big one in the lounge...on one side the colours were funny...the techie told us today that if it's the board then we are ok...if not, it's down the tip...phone call just a while ago...no tip, just money...it's 3 yrs old...

It's turning very cold now...we had a late lunch so it's hot jam donuts for tea with a cuppa...
Ray has them in the microwave and I can smell them...yum.

This little Grevillea is really pretty if you can get down low enough to see it..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 18, 2011
1:00 AM

Post #8762379

Evening everyone. It's been cold wet and windy here today. Brrrrr. The poor plants are all getting buffeted? around. The rains good as I don't have to water very much. The boys have cubs tonight. I would rather stay inside but they love their cubs. Your Grevillia looks lovely as my background, thanks Dianne. The boys have had their tea and eaten every bit tonight. Chicken cauli carrot and mashed potatoes and pumpkin, I have to hide the pumpkin, lol with gravy , custard and a warm milo. Now they're watching their shows on TV and then off to cubs. Hope everyone is well. catch you all later. Colleen

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 18, 2011
2:53 AM

Post #8762391

Hello everyone!
Found out the name of the mystery plant. I telephoned a friend who was given the plants from her friend.
It is Thai Basil.

Pam you are a smart little cookie. *G*

Will be in bed early tonight as I spent the day working in trhe garden.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 18, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8762469

Funny because basil was my first guess when I looked at the leaves but I was fooled by those flowers...
it is very attractive - have you tasted it?
Basil does grow in ChCh - but you have to be pretty clued up to nurse it through our weather.
I planted some years ago to accompany my tomatoes.
the tomatoes thrived & the basil went belly up.
If I ever get my greenhouse window in the kitchen I will try again indoors.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 18, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8763501

Good morning everyone. No letup in the rain here. Yesterday as we were coming home form Hamilton, you could see all the dams and small creeks overflowing everywhere. Lots of water in the rivers going over the waterfalls near here.
We dont bother going to look now as it doesnt look as pretty with so much water rushing over. Much nicer later in the year when its nice and clean and just a nice fall.
Nothing will get done outside today unless the weather suddenly clears up. We are forecast to have up to 22C by Monday.
I am so glad I have the new washer and the dryer.
The new electric blanket works well. How did we ever live without them before ?. The answer is , we were younger without the aches.

Just had brekkie. mini snags with tomatoes.
I try to vary the breakfast these days as hubby loses is appetite for the same dull cereal. Mainly due to the diabetes , I think.
We have mini snags & tinned tomatoes , boiled eggs and mini tins of baked beans alternated with days of cereal.
Hubby likes it because I dont tell him which he is getting until the morning.

Hello Teresa, is it still snowing on you ? I bet Copper likes being curled up near the heater these days.
You will notice a big difference in not having to go out to in the cold to work nights.

Hello Marlene. Never thought of basil, as its so long since I grew any. It dies here too. When it doesnt get eaten by bugs. They love it.
Basil definitely doesnt like the cold here either.

Anthony. how did your daff show ? Did you win prizes ?
Lots of little green lilium heads poking up in my pots now. The Christmas lilies are growing taller but dont seem to like the cold too much. I will have to stake them soon. I wont put a stake in the pot in case I damage the bulbs. It can go in the ground next to the pot.
If they dont flower this year, they are going into the ground where I can forget about them.

Hello Colleen, sounds like the boys are fed really well. How are all your little cacti going ? Mine are looking good with a few babies appearing.

Hello Dianne , very pretty grevillea. Its hard when you get a prostrate or mini plant and the flowers are so lovely but low down.
Gevilleas are a great plant for most gardens as they are seem to be easy to grow and not overly fussy about soil, water etc.
I have quite a few around the place . On eat the back gate was just a small shrub for many years until we removed the old wattle next to it. The grevillea has taken off like a mad thing now. It is G. rosemarinifolia . Very prickly foliage but nice red flowers most of the year and as hardy as anything.

Hello Pam, Elaine, Karen and Chrissy. Hope all is well in your gardens.

Charleen , hugs for Charley and friends, give them a cookie from the kitchen.

Louise, pats for the dear girls . It must be getting close to the start of your Fall now. You will have all that glorious color agin. How is your garden doing ?

Better get out int he kitchen and see what I can find for you all to nibble on.
Try this delicious Chocolate Cake.
Happy gardening and keep safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 18, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8763911

Jean, i'll tell you in 2 weeks ,when the show happens.I must have had a momentary lapse of reason today,..,,.6 medusa and 2 lombardia lilybulbs just 'jumped' in to my truck cabin,..,My rare seedlings are popping up too,-very exciting,.,.I best go out and take another look!!!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 18, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8763939

Hi everyone. I hope everyone is well. Quite a nice day today, a little chilly but no rain so far. The cacti are doing well thanks Jean. The little ones that Brian grew from seed are growing really fast. The Council are still talking about Brian's Memory garden. They've even told me where they might put it. That will be really good as then I will be able to get some of the bigger plants out. I suppose they will need plaques with the names of them on. That will be fun as I'm not that educated with all the names. I might have to get my other brother up from Adelaide to help as he has Brian's cacti books. Otherwise I'll have to take a pic of each one and put it up on the C&S site and see if they can ID them. You're not still getting more bulbs are you Anthony? Golly we won't be able to find you soon, or maybe we'll find all the lilies first and then sing out COOOOEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!! I hope everyone has a great day and I'll be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 18, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8764023

Anthony, you definitely had a 'granny moment' didnt you ?
More bulbs !!. Colleen is right, we will never find you.
Your liliumitis is definitely an airborne disease as I felt the urge myself while looking through a lilium book from the library.
Why did i borrow a book so full of delicious photos ???
I must be mad.
Dianne, watch out , the germs for Anthonys liliumitis may be heading your way too.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 18, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8764068

Jean, I have a guard at the gate and I frisk the postie...lol
The Liliums are popping up everywhere now..

That's great news Colleen, hopefully the garden will be installed before next Winter...Brian would really be chuffed...are you still going for an all cacti garden?
How is his Donut peach, it should be in flower soon...

Your camera is taking nice photos, you must be pleased with it...
My Ricoh still needs a bit of fine tuning, though considering the price diff between it and my Canon, I shouldn't expect too much...

Moved one of my garden seats today...it was out of balance, where it was...funny how something bugs you if it isn't in the right spot..it was fine 3 yrs ago...but as the garden grows things need to be moved...now it is fine...

Anthony, I will be barracking for the Blues, so don't let me down...
Dianne.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 4:43 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 19, 2011
1:24 AM

Post #8764137

Colleen and Jean,i have trouble finding myself out there,let alone anyone else,.,.Martagon 'amelita x super tsing' from 'leftwood' is up,.,.so is 'pomponium'[species]-so is a hell of a lot more!!!- its going to be a great year,.,.Navy Blues ,Dianne 4 sure,..,.,I have a theory-- The girl with the collar bomb/The man that was arrested for installing the collar bomb__take a good close look at both of their faces--...Why now blur out his face?---These 2 are related,.,.Anthony
gardengal
se qld
Australia

August 19, 2011

Post #8765232

Treat your basil as an annual, ladies. Don't be too bothered trying to keep it going through Winter - it struggles in the cold even here. If we hadn't pulled it out to dig over the garden bed it would have survived the winder, somewhat bedraggled-looking and I'd have struck some new cuttings from it once it warmed up then ripped it out anyway. It's incredibly easy to grow from cuttings stuck in water ( cut just below a node), so once it warms up enough I'll probably buy a bunch from the deli section of the supermarket. I think the cutting grown plants tend to take off faster than seedlings. We'd be lost without our basil for salads etc in the warmer months. While the taste is better if not let go to flower, the native bees absolutely adore it, so I can never resits leaving a plant or two bloom for them.

Jean, I'd love to help out with the painting down that way, but I suspect the roller will have worn out by the time I've finished (read: there's absolutely no way I'm going to the cold lol.)

Dianne, your grevillea is gorgeous. Do you know which one it is?

9 month old Josh and his Mum have gone off visiting for a month, (hence being able to get the painting done. I've always had problems from paint fumes myself and wouldn't like to inflict them on a baby.) He has started to stand and I'm guessing he won't be far off walking by the time he comes back. He's a smart little man and I think he's going to give mum a run for her money if she doesn't keep his mind occupied.

Another cool start here, but the day is warming up nicely. We seem to have gotten another light frost some time in the past couple of weeks - some of the daft flowers that thought Spring had come early have that frosted look about them.

Well have a great day all.

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 19, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8765254

Good morning everyone.
The sun is out. I nearly fainted when I saw it. Couldnt figure out what that shiny yellow thing in the sky was. lol
I will get more done with the brugs today if the sun hangs around.
I have some ivy growing along the ground where I intend to plant a few brugs so, out with the Roundup . I like the ivy but its in the way. It wont all die as it self roots along the way.
I've been waiting for it to climb up the old wattle in hope it would improve the look of the old thing. but ivy seems to not like heights.

Anthony, I have liliums poking heads up in lots of pots now. The seeds are in the greenhouse.
I also planted all the loose pieces from the lot of bulbs I bought in hope some may put up babies.

Pam, enjoy the rest while you can. , little Josh will soon be making his presence felt again.

Hello Dianne, Colleen, Karen, Elaine and Chrissy.
Charleen and Louise, are you seeing any of your Fall weather yet or is it still very hot ?

I am off out side while the sun is out. Have a great weekend and stay warm & safe.
Heres some lovely Cream Cakes to nibble on while you contemplate your gardens.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 19, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8765513

Good morning everyone. Overcast but not cold here this morning. The boys are busy and I'm washing, again. My SH is looking so nice now with all the broms colouring up nicely. John will get a bit of a shock as I've changed everything around again. I have more palm stumps either planted up or with broms sitting on top. My Velthemia lilies are nearly out. It's like waiting for the kettle to boil isn't it? I had a beautiful lipstick pink Salvia flowering it's head off and Cameren was playing ball with Ben the dog and splat, one very broken Salvia. Oh well, I've got the pieces potted up and hopefully I get one to grow. Dianne, My camera is easy to use, just as well as I don't play around very much with such things. I get a bit game sometimes and have a play with the computer but I don't do too much. Before I used to just call Brian but now I have a go myself first and then get on the phone to John's mate. He's an IT so knows most things that go wrong. If all fails I pinch the boy's computer again.lol It doesn't make them very happy though. Well must go and do some work so that I can get out in the garden again. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 19, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8765765

Colleen, I know exactly what you mean about the velthemias.
Mine are down in the shadehouse and are looking lovely and green. The flower stems have been on the plants for so long ( at least 6 months ) I was wondering if I would ever see a flower. One little bit of pink is peeping at me now
Better get back outside. A beautiful sunny day so I am getting things done before it rains again.
Jean..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 19, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8765793

Still cold and windy here with rain coming and going.
I hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday.
Planting stuff next week (if it ever stops raining) :-)

The Sun comes out just for a few minutes just to tease and then more rain.
After seeing what Texas and many parts of America are going through I guess I had better not complain, what an awful drought, poor things had terrible cold in the Winter and now the trees are dying.
I remember the seven year drought a few years ago, give me the rain any day.

Now which seeds to plant first ...what veggie seeds do you plant first ?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 20, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8766864

Good morning everyone. The sun is out and I expect a lovely day like yesterday. Lots done with the brugs. I will continue today with more moving trimming etc. on them. I finally got the tree tags I was after and now all I have to do is look at the tag to see who is who without bending down to try and read the label stuck in the pot. . I may even get out and cut the ends off the long cypress branches and let a bit more sun into the area underneath . Some of the seedling brugs have spent the winter there along with a lot of epis.

It is so nice to finally get out and enjoy the garden without a jumper. I must trim a few plants around my seats so I can have my relaxing places during spring/summer again.

Hello Dianne, Colleen, Elaine, Pam, Karen and anyone else looking in.
Anthony, are you okay down there ? I think you should carry one of those little flags on sticks you see on the oldies mobile carts. Then we can find you in the lilium patch.

Charleen and Louise, I see it is still very hot in places over there. I do hope you soon get some milder Fall weather.

I'm off outside. I want to enjoy the sun as much as I can. It may disappear again soon.
I just have to remember that I am not to complain if we get a hot summer.

Hers something nice to have with your cuppa. Chocolate Mint Shortbreads.
Enjoy your day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 20, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8766883

Morning everyone. No sun here Jean but not too cold. I'm hoping to get outside too and do a bit more clearing. There's bulbs popping up everywhere and I noticed some Irises have buds. I might scatter some more chook poo around and give the plants a bit of a boost. I'm sure the boys would enjoy getting that in their little trolley. One of them is computer mad at the moment so will have to encourage a bit of outside time for him. Sometimes I get more done with just one to help anyway. They're still asleep at the moment so it's nice and quiet around here. Just the birds and me. Ahhh. I'll be back later. colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 20, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8767519

Beautiful here...and lots of seeds to plant after a soak...my son has given me lots of pots all different
sizes, bless him...I was running low...including some tiny seedling pots that I have never seen before..
They are about the length of my finger and about 1 the width. The bottom of the pot can be pressed up so the seedling can be removed...very handy.

I have to spread some chicken pellets too,Colleen...but I will wait until rain is due...they would be a bit close to the house in this sunny weather...at least when it rains they only pong for a day...lol
Peaches, Nectarines in flower and I see movement on the Pear and Cherry...

Last year I bought a Jostaberry it looks like a flowering currant...Hoping for a couple of berries this year..I don't know what they taste like but I wanted a berry bush...I love Blueberries but we have a Blueberry farm not 10 mins away and I buy from them..
There are so many berries around that I have never heard of and I wanted one that wasn't a climber.

Pam, I don't know it's name...but don't let the pic fool you...the flower is about half an inch wide...

Well, back outside into the sunshine after lunch...
Have a good day all.
Dianne

This message was edited Aug 21, 2011 1:21 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 20, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8767578

I think the jostaberry sounds quite different Dianne ...it needs a high chill though so it needs to go somewhere that gets frosted during the Winter ...the coldest part of your garden. Even then it may need some iced water treatment, I will look forward to your reports of the taste ...a cross between a gooseberry and a currant sounds like a jam maker as it would be too sour too eat raw I think.
Love the daffy :)

Ahhh Colleen the waft of Dynamic lifter wafting through the garden ...mixed with Spring Blossom notes true Spring scents.

Jean you sound like you are having a great time ...I don't do stuff in the wind, so it's inside for me today again, the ground is so wet you can't really do too much anyway.
It always happens here suddenly the heat will hit without warning catching you off guard.
I try to time things for that Spring rush ...you know that time when you can suddenly hear the earth throbbing with life, that Spring rush that stirs the plants to suddenly roar into life and growth. That's a really special time when Summer is a promise and the bad munchers haven't hit yet, you can still sleep in the evenings and daylight savings has not messed with your body clock yet.

To all our lovely friends across the water both up North and down South I hope the weather is being much kinder.
Enjoy your Sunday !
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 21, 2011
1:04 AM

Post #8768054

Dianne,did you get a ''taj-julia'' miniature..?, it flowers just as the centre of that last daff you posted,.,.pulled out the big fridge today,,,bottled up 'ferdie' and 'snook' and popped them in,.,.[more oriental bulbs came to stay today], but i did get rid of some seeds to a club member who visited --weather is getting much better.,,.,.Daughter alison and s.i.l- mowed the raspberries[and hellebores] [and other trinkets]today,.,.,..hmmmmmmm ,no idea!!!

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 21, 2011
1:30 AM

Post #8768066

It's freezing here at Buderim. Lived here on the coast for fifteen years and this is by far the coldest winter.
Global warming????...bring it on!

Colleen...what is the name of your brom?
I have an unnamed one that is very similar

Help!...my daughter-in-law is looking for different fruit trees to plant. I see Big W have Gooseberry bushes for sale.
Can you eat them as a fruit or are they only for making jam? Thanks.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 21, 2011
2:03 AM

Post #8768079

Marlene it's Neo. "predator" It's got lovely colours hasn't it? Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 21, 2011
2:35 AM

Post #8768085

Gooseberrys mmmmmmmmm!i used to eat them like grapes when i was a young whippersnapper!!
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 21, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8768131

Gooseberries? Did someone say gooseberries? I hadn't seen them for years and was wishing I could find a plant a couple of years ago. Heaven heard me, and sent a single seed via the rear end of a bird. The seed fell into a plant box and grew. It has supplied me with gooseberries yearly since. It is a different kind to the one Bunnings is selling, but the fruit is delicious straight off the bush.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 21, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8768266

Cape Gooseberries are the ones without the prickles and they are in a "lantern" ...delicious straight from the plant which self seeds via birds all over the place. Make sure they are ripe though.
As a child I had a slice of gooseberry (the real gooseberry) tart and it was delicious (I love sour sweet tastes) then it seemed to go out of fashion.
Those were the green gooseberries, I have not tasted a fresh currant in my life only dried ones. The cross Dianne has sounds quite unique.I have read that the red gooseberry is sweeter than the green type which is quite sour..
Karen the one you may be talking about is probably the cape gooseberry (which is not a real gooseberry) ...yummy !
When I was young the Kiwi fruit was known as a Japanese Gooseberry (once again not a real gooseberry). I think people were trying to find substitutes for the missing true gooseberries.
Cape Gooseberries were made into tarts at a later date but are not as good in tarts as the real thing.
Marlene real gooseberries are prickly and the cape "gooseberries" have heart shaped velvety leaves.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 21, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8769196

Morning all...
Just watching the news and it sounds very gloomy for a lot of workers who have been laid off...
Politics is getting very murky and confusing and I can't see a leader amongst all the sheep..

Still the sun is just coming out, the sky is blue and the garbage truck is picking up the bin, life goes on.

No, Anthony it's not lovely Taj Julia, this is a full size one...do you start preparing your flowers for the show already?...I haven't shown flowers, so I don't know the preparation that goes in to it.

Chrissie we used to call Kiwifruit... Chinese gooseberries... maybe somewhere else they called then Asian gooseberries.
Thank goodness that plants have proper names or from one town to the next we would be calling them something different..

I've put the kettle on Jean...I can hear you coming...
Back Later..
Dianne.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 21, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8769263

Good morning everyone. The sun is out so lots more work will get done outside today. I love this time of year when everything is fresh & growing, plus we have lovely weather to be out and about enjoying it all.
I potted up more of the teenage brugs into large pots, and planted a few more out in the orchard.
Lots of growth on the roses and irises now. I did get around the irises with the Roundup , but still have to pull the weeds close to the plants.
New shoots on the berries. I think they are loganberries , Delicious anyway. I was given the plants and I think there is a jostaberry out there too. It has a different leaf. I have not heard of them before .
I am no fan of any sort of gooseberries. I used to like eating the currants from the vines when grape picking for the producers of dried fruit years ago. Of course I am talking about the currants made from dried grapes. When the sun used to dry the grapes on the vines , it was fun to eat them.
Its a pity we dont have a date palm here as I must eat a packet a week. I use them as a snack instead of biscuits etc.
Looks like the fruit trees will be weighed down with fruit again this year. They are covered in blossom and bees.
Didnt get to trim them as it has been raining too much. I may have to get out and take a branch or two off before the fruit starts forming.

Anthony, I have lots of tigers coming up now and also all the asiatics out in the garden. It should be a pretty show when they flower along with all those in the pots.

Dianne such a pretty daffie. I found one like that yesterday. Just opening so I must check it this morning. It has just popped out and I dont remember seeing it before.
I have odd bulbs that I have picked up at markets which are probably just getting around to flowering.
There is a mini yellow daff out there which is very pretty. Not really tiny, but about half size. Just like a smaller King Alfred.

Hello Chrissy, Pam, Karen. Colleen and Elaine.
Teresa, how are you going over there ? I hope spring weather is getting to your place by now.
Charleen, hugs for Charley.
Louise, pat the girls for me, hope your garden is not suffering in any heat.
Better go and find something tasty for you all then I'm off out to enjoy the sun.
Here we are Caramel Crunch Cake.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 21, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8769280

Good morning everyone ... the Nurse is on the way this morning so I will have to rush ...
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/detail.aspx

I am looking forward to the spaghetti squash this year after seeing a thread on them ...
Enjoy your morning :-)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 21, 2011

Post #8769281

Wait for me Dianne. I'll have a quick cuppa with you. Good morning everyone. The sun is shining and promises to be a lovely day. We got a bit more tidying done and some grass pulled up and given to the galahs and chooks. I have 2 SuperspotX up now and the Datura flower is colouring up and nearly out. It will be so small. Hope the BL... snails don't get it. I was thinking that maybe I'll put them in a flywire cage or something similar. I have 2 KnightiiX seedlings up as well. Lots of little babies coming on. I'm expecting some more broms this week. Whoo hoo I love getting parcels. The boys are having brekkie at the moment. Don't know where they put 4 weetbix, do you? Sometimes they'll have toast as well. Growing boys. Everyone have a wonderful day and I'll be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 21, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8769294

The 4 of us must have been sitting at the computer together. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 21, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8769717

I enjoyed that cuppa very much Colleen...can't wait to see your Datura flower...
That SuperSpot is such a pretty flower, I hope that we get something like it from our seeds...
Mine aren't up yet.
Just had my exercise for the week and cut the lawns..they're not very big thank goodness..
Back later..
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 22, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8770196

ummm - Jean - dried grapes are raisins ... or sultanas.
My Mum has black currants, she makes jelly, jam & juice but hasn't bothered with drying them.
Black currants, red currants & white currants grow well in the ChCh climate.
we used to call kiwi fruit Chinese gooseberries, they were smaller, hairier, tarter & harder in the middle back then.
have to say I was not impressed with them.
Now NZ has all kinds of hybrids, golden, grape sized, hairless...

and did anyone know that the first NZ apples arrived in Aussie already?

There was a good article in our weekend paper about how seriously the kiwi growers are taking this - only the very best are to be sent so that we can impress you all with the wonderful flavour that apples can have.

Some of the varieties ear marked for Aussie market aren't available to us - look for a green one called Lemonade & red one called Eve & if you try them let me know what they are like.
Pacific rose is ok, Jazz is ok but right now I am loving Mahana Red which I am not sure they are sending your way.

If you like crispy crunchy tartish apples it's the one to try if you ever see it.

Allowing NZ apples into OZ is going to be the best thing for consumers - watch for Aussie apples to make a rapid improvement in taste & quality now there is going to be competition.

oh & in 50 years of exporting apples there has not been one single case of fireblight caused.
plus fireblight is already in OZ, it was found in Melbourne on a Cotoneaster.
if it was going to be a problem you would have had an outbreak long ago.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8770239

An apple called lemonade sounds fascinating ...I prefer a bit of tartness in my apple, I love good old granny smith and pink lady teresa.
I am looking at those grape sized kiwi fruit ...they sound interesting.
Aren't the berry fruit an interesting subject.
When looking around to move I suddenly realized most of the things I enjoy eating need that bit of chill.
I would love to be able to grow raspberries for example,
The lovely Kiwi fruit coming through right now are absolutely delicious !
I read the history of the marketing genius who came up with the name change that got that fruit to become World famous.
Teresa I read somewhere that one third of the NZ population is shifting to Australia ... because of the problems, is that right ?, surely they mean one third of Ch Ch.

Everyone is very busy in the garden ...I ordered some more seeds again because I forgot tomatoes, rockmelons, mini watermelons,and pumpkins.
I am having a trial run in self sufficiency for retirement (GULP) lol.

Manure coming in on Thursday ...trailer load of mixed manures bagged up. Bags of organic life pellets etc.
Good to see so much going on, I can't wait to get started.
The rain will probably stop once I spread it around and the smell will hang around for days :) Oh it does not smell that bad suppose, it's worth it. Starting with the Sea Sol ...I use that on the seedlings until they get good roots (half strength).
Thanks for the cuppa everyone, much appreciated.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 22, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8771609

Good morning everyone.
Looks like a repeat of the lovely weather again today. Hubby gave me his usual forecast. Cold again by Thursday. He gets all the info from the CFA weather site.
I spent the whole day yesterday moving and planting the brugs. Lots in the ground now and I am hoping some of the big boys will Y and flower soon.

Anthony, there are liliums coming up all over the place. I moved a lot of my original asiatics to the front so am hoping for a spectacular show.
I run out each day to see which is up in all the pots too. Cant wait to see some of those Tassie ones.

Teresa, we always called the small dried grapes, currants ( among other names ) when we were kids, I still do. Guess things stick with you. .
I love sultanas and raisins and eat packets of them all the time, but you can keep the currants. Some of the names we called them matched the awful little dried things.
Blueberries are another fruit people love. I cannot resist them in muffins , icecream etc but when I tried them fresh... ughh.

I found my Jostaberry plant . It is getting new leaves as are all the other berries. There is one plant out there that didnt have berries last years so I am hoping it does this year so I know what it is.
I must get some raspberries too.
Poor hubby doesnt get much of a taste as I eat all the berries from the bushes as they ripen.
Cant stand Kiwi fruit or avocados either. Hubby says I have strange tastes.

Chrissy, my favorite apple was always the good old Jonathan, but sadly not available now. When apple picking years ago, I tried lots of different ones and the grower was pulling out all the Jonathans because they didnt keep as well as the newer ones.
There was a lovely apple grown as a pollinator between the rows . It was yummy , but another that didnt go down well in the shops.
I think my best apple these days would be Gala. Its so hard to buy a good apple that is actually properly ripe and fresh.
I buy what looks good but usually one bite of the hard and tasteless things is enough and I end up just using them in casseroles etc.
I can understand the need for huge quantities of fruit for the off shore markets but surely they would sell better fresh locally ?

Hello Dianne and Colleen. It was a lovely cuppa yesterday. Not often we are all in here at the same time. I do like you flower pics.
Colleen, my winter hippie flower stem is getting taller each day , cant wait to see it out.
Dianne, I have another baby sang popped up. I stuck a few more seeds in so we'll see what they do. I have to watch the darn slugs around them. I must try to get some better snail pellets.

Hello Pam, Karen, Elaine and anyone else lurking.
Charleen, I hope you havent melted away there.
Louise, are you getting all that heat up your way still ?

Better move and get out in the sun.
Try this Zucchini Date Cake with your morning cuppa.
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8771654

We have a bit of warmish sun this morning but it will rain again ...you can see the garden starting to stir :-)
I think the rain has saved some of the things that usually die down completely in Winter, My climbing Spinach is putting out a few tiny leaves again, last Winter I lost plants and had to grow from seed again, this time the shriveled stems are plumping out and putting out tiny leaves.
My hippies bloomed for weeks through winter and are divesting themselves of the seeds right now, they had exceptionally long stems ...I think they were looking for the sun.
The nasturtiums are starting to bloom, I see my Pink Lady will blossom soon, the plums and Quince are starting to open their buds ...yep it's starting to look like Spring :-)

Oh Jean I just adore Avocados ... mix with lemon juice and chilli and use instead of butter on toast !, funny I hated the taste once, but after having it in a delicious guacamole years ago I got game with them and experimented ...I use them instead of butter all the time in savoury sandwiches. Oh but how boring if we all loved the exact same things.
I dream of trees full of them ...ha ha ha not one of my seed grown trees have graced me with fruit and I have some over twenty years old, the few grafted ones I tried have succumbed to frost or Hubby. That might prove that seed grown things may adapt better to conditions but it isn't much use if they don't fruit. They are a handsome tree though.

Some of our fresh apples have been sitting on cold storage for months ...the floury ones. usually found in large Supermarkets, I buy mine locally.

I hope everyone enjoys their day.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 22, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8771674

Chrissy, you just reminded me of me as young thing planting a seed from a cherry plum.
My dad said it wont grow or have fruit , but let me plant it anyway.
I planted it next to the front veranda of the house we lived in .
It did grow and grow and grow. Dad said ,well, it will never fruit .
It didnt either, for years , then one day , blossom appeared and that tree fruited every year after that until it got so big it had to be removed.
I had planted it about 6" from the veranda, and when it started lifting the veranda , the tree had to go.
Of course, I had grown up by then so it wasnt so hard. to lose that tree.
Isnt it funny how the slightest thing can jog a memory from way back.

Going back outside now. Its so lovely walking out the back as Jasmine wafts her lovely scent around the place.
I keep threatening to remove her but how can I possibly get rid of any of her when she smells so mmmmmmmmm.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8772219

I have grown some wonderful trees from fruit seeds ...peaches and a beautiful apricot, macadamia and surprise surprise a triffid mandarin.
Cherries grow huge ...no I haven't grown one of those but I know they can be a big tree.
I was asked about making cheese by someone and they were surprised to find that you can make ricotta cheese from the sap of the fruiting fig tree and milk.
http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dimensions_in_time/Transcripts/s831933.htm
I thought you might like to see how. If you have a big fig tree go for it ...if you love ricotta. Unfortunately my big figs were destroyed by hubby, but I will get one or two for my next garden.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 22, 2011
10:37 PM

Post #8772257

Not a Cherry , Chrissy, a cherry plum. I dont see them around now but they were common . A small red plum just about the size of a large cherry.
My nana had a tree and I used to sit up in it eating the plums.
We have 2 figs here. They never get a chance to ripen as the birds get them first. Maybe when they get so big there are too many figs for the birds to eat, we will get one to try.
I have countless nectarines all self seeded which come up each year. If grown on as I have done with about 6, they will fruit in about 2-3 years.
Lovely white fleshed ones.
Jean.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011 4:40 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 23, 2011
1:20 AM

Post #8772331

lilys shooting everywhere here too,..,

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 23, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8772339

A Cherry plum, how delicious were they !...it was the largest fruit tree in our garden when my kids were growing up...they were so common all over Melbourne...lots of them were grown as street trees and if you had one with plump fruit what a bonus...Linda would wait every year for them to ripen and always our dog Monique would be the first to start eating them...she didn't mind them being under ripe...
2 bites to each Cherry plum and juice everywhere...and the pretty pink blossoms made a carpet underneath in Spring..

Avocado, yes please...the only reason I have never grown one is because I would eat every one of them and they are too prolific, even for me.
Cherries are great trees, you can prune them to whatever size you want...I have about 6 jars of preserved Cherries left from last Summer from my mother's tree...her's is a "Stella". we have always had this particular one, very reliable...I bought a mini cherry this Winter so that will be interesting to watch grow.

Anthony it will definitely be a Lilium summer here...I will have support cages everywhere...
Dianne..
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 23, 2011
3:10 AM

Post #8772366

i will need support!!!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 23, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8773396

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining and I hope the cold wind from yesterday has gone elsewhere. I did get warm though as I decided to trim along all the paths again. I do like hedge clippers. Look out plants.
Off to the hairdressers this morning. Once my hair gets to a certain length it drives me mad.
I like to keep it very short but it must get fertliser from the garden on it as it has always grown so fast .

Anthony, you will be supported by all those liliums a they grow. lol
How is Cocky going ?

Hello Dianne. I remember all those plum trees along the streets. So pretty in blossom. There used to be a lot along the country roads up around Bright . Lovely to stop and pick a bag full.

Colleen, you definitely need a second storey on the shadehouse with all the new broms.

Hello Chrissy, Elaine, Pam , Karen and Teresa.
I am off out to check my brug buds before I head off to Coleraine.

Have a great day and I hope the sun shines for you all.
Enjoy a few of these Coconut Macaroons.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 23, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8773449

Hubby always gets me to download any pics he takes and this is what he had waiting for me this morning on the camera card.
These creatures like to invade the back veranda every night.
Lots of these hunties , but also others like the big squishy black ones and several smaller types.
I dont go out there at night but hubby does . I tell him that one night they will have him for supper.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 23, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8773757

yummo love coconut macaroons !
Sorry Jean a nanna moment on the cherry thing ...I have one of those trees you are talking about out front, the fruit is quite sour but cute and would probably make a delicious jam.

Well the nurse was very happy with my brothers legs this morning ...I don't have to abrade the skin any longer, I am so relieved they are finally healing- whew ! Oh happy day !!! :-)

Once again a bit of sun out there just to tease ...once again the rain will come to my saturated garden-Spring rains are sweet I guess, but trying to get out there when it is not raining or not too muddy is a bit annoying ...right now is time to be doing the Spring chores.
Oh well.
I hope everyone is enjoying their day.
Back later !!!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 23, 2011
11:51 PM

Post #8774102

Jean, try and get the blue water resistant ones

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 24, 2011
12:33 AM

Post #8774110

Oh Boy the sun actually stayed here all day ...they were wrong about the rain !
It's beginning ...
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 24, 2011
2:38 AM

Post #8774131

stunning day today, really warm & spring like - apparently got to 21C!
I started my new job, not off to the best start with the buses running late.
I caught the same time as when I went to my interview but this time the trip from the temporary bus terminal to the other side of the red zone took half an hour instead of the 5 minutes it did previously!
Fortunately they didn't seem at all bothered.
It was a bit of a steep learning curve for me...
serving in the shop & using the computerised tills was ok, picked that up fairly quick but not at all confident in the fabric section as I hated home ec & bunked off as much as I could.
I did ok with it though & didn't make any stuff ups so all in al turned out well.
Mind you I have to figure out the buses to take home - I didn't think to look that up DOH!
I ended up walking back to the temp. bus exchange to get the bus home, only took half an hour, would have been a nice bit of exercise if I had been wearing more comfortable shoes.
Mine are a little stretched from wearing thick socks with them & I just had tights today...
I will try them with my orthotics in tomorrow otherwise it's time for new shoes.
I rather fancy trying a pair of Mary Janes.
Never had them as a child & was quite surprised to see them back in fashion a few years ago - and even more amazing, still in fashion

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 24, 2011
2:57 AM

Post #8774132

Hello everyone.

Still cold here at Buderim. Boy will I be glad when the weather warms up.

Been to nearly every nursery around the coast today trying to buy some Feverfew... but no luck.

If anyone has some seeds to spare that would be good.
I can send a S.S.A.E.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8775035

Good morning everyone. Looks like another lovely spring day. A bit of cloud but the sun is shining .
I moved a bit of mulch around yesterday and may do a bit more today. I have some seeds to plant and a few rooted cuttings that need to be potted on.
I cleared the space around 2 of my seats out in the garden. The plants had gone a bit wild and covered them up.
I like to sit out there in the fine weather, so, chop chop.
I am not taking cuttings of things I chop as I end up with too many plants. I am being very restrained this year.
Even the brugs bits were tossed. They may grow where I tossed them, if so good luck to them.

Hello Teresa. I hope you get lots of lovely weather now . Sounds like you are going to enjoy the new job. Always a bit of fun getting the schedule going with transport etc.

Hello Chrissy. Nice to see you are getting some warmth there at last .

Anthony, I have had those blue pellets , they are very good A little dearer than the others which is why I tried the cheaper ones. Never again.
Back to the better ones. You get what you pay for dont you ?

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Pam, Karen , Marlene and Elaine. I hope all is well with you and your gardens.

Hello Charleen. where are you ? I have some cookies for Charley.
Hello Louise. are you still getting the warm weather ? I do hope your lovely garden hasnt suffered too much. Pats for the girls.

Better get a move on as I have washing to put out before I start on the garden.
Try this lovely Sponge Cake.
Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 24, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8775498

Ohoh Jean cream sponges don't last long here do they? It's lovely and sunny again today but the wind is coming up. I don't like wind. I've been out moving things around too, trying to find room for everything. I need an expandable yard. I have lots of liliums coming up everywhere. I have 4 lots in large pots too so they should make a good show if they flower this year. Still waiting, waiting, for the velthemias. It's a bit like Jean waiting for her "WINTER"??? hippy. and Chrissy's hippies have flowered. Mine are only just in the last month starting to move. We might have some of the same things but they certainly behave differently for us. Well had better get a bit more done, supposed to be raining by the weekend, hope not. be back later Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8775595

Colleen, I have one of the little flowerettes on the velthemia bloom nearly out. I may get to see the whole thing flower by Christmas, the way its going.
My 'winter' hippie flower stem is still growing taller. I hope it opens soon.
I know what you mean about an expandable yard.
An outdoor Tardis, maybe.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 24, 2011
11:47 PM

Post #8775628

My hippies are dropping seeds all over.
Tallest I have ever seen them, why I really don't know. A very strange Winter.

What a pretty picture of the sweet little Arborea Colleen ...you should get a seed pod on it too (self seeds) no prickles about the size of a gulf ball.

I think our American friends are having dreadful weather poor things ...I hope everyone is OK across the pond, our internets are playing up because Google is re shuffling things too, most annoying !

Marlene sorry I don't have any fever few left, they were scattered all over until the jungle shaded them out.
I hope you get some off someone in here they are a pretty little weed in most gardens but it may be a bit early for seeds.

Well I have told hubby what part of the back area I want for the veggies.
He is not to touch or else ! One veggie garden was burned out by the fires and another thriving no dig garden was flattened and bulldozed when he moved all of his stuff here. That was a bit painful. I have a melon area planned (sunny) and leaf area planned (they can take more shade) The first year I was here I just dug mounds and had so many pumpkins you could smell the pumpkin blossoms from 50ft away. Fingers crossed we have no wild bulls to break down fences and trash things.
it was already hot out there today, but I have a nice tree I can rest under if I need to down the back where the veggies will go.

Anyone planning to grow something new this year that you haven't grown before?
Marlene did you want the feverfew for health reasons ...they sayeating a leaf every day keeps headaches away, but I never had to try it. They make sweet little cut flowers too. They make me think of gingham and lace.

Gosh Teresa what a first day on the job,
All is well that ends well I guess I hope it has settled down now and your feet have recovered.

To all of our other friends out there I hope all is well in your little corner of the World, only 4 ish months to go before this 2011 leaves us and I certainly won't cry to see the back of it will you ?
We absolutely can't wait until 2012 and a much kinder time here on our beautiful blue planet.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 25, 2011
12:52 AM

Post #8775649

Chrissy... I wanted the Feverfew flowers for some floral art arrangements.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 25, 2011
3:21 AM

Post #8775682

Brillantaisia subulugurica.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 25, 2011
3:47 AM

Post #8775694

2nd day and I caught the bus half an hour earlier...
and was sitting on the free shuttle & figured that if it took as long as the day before I was going to be late again!
So i got off & walked & was there in half an hour and on time.
Quieter day & was telling my co-worker about the bus & she offered to drop me home on her way as she lives north of me.
So I had her drop me at the RSA & was there in time for the Ode & the announcements - and was called up to receive thanks & a mystery envelop - it held a card signed by members & $300 in vouchers for my local mall.
That was nice!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8776640

Good morning...
Very still this morning after yesterday's strong winds...only 17c expected.
You certainly had a good day Teresa...It's nice to be appreciated..
Marlene, when you do one of your arrangements, post a pic...we'd like to see it...

So sad to see the memorial for the people who perished in the house fire..what a tragedy!
My grandaughter has been with us for a couple of days, her mother is at a school conference in Anglesea...
She is such a sweetie and loves listening to stories of what we got up to at her age...
My mother adores her and they sit together discussing Steph's jewellery and her hair style even though mum can't communicate very well, Steph can work out what mum wants to chat about.
You might be able to tell she is my pride and joy...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 25, 2011

Post #8776674

Good morning everyone. I thought that I would come in early and have a cuppa. I have to go to Waikerie this morning. There is a huge fog everywhere. I hope it has cleared by 9am. Dianne your G/Daughter is absolutely beautiful. She must be a special young lady to care so much for Gran and Great Gran. Teresa just reward for a good worker. I'm glad that they showed you how much they did appreciate you. I hope your new job is just as rewarding. Marlene your blooms are so exotic. Yes please put your arrangements up so we can admire too. Well must go as still boys to get ready. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. be back later. I thought that we might have some flash crockery this morning. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 25, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8776802

Good morning everyone. I'm late again as I was wandering the other threads again. . What a contrast yesterday was to the lovely spring weather we have enjoyed lately. Very cold wind and showers all morning.
The rain was gone after lunch but the wind stayed.
This morning is overcast and still cold. Nothing much can be done outside today again.
I did get some seeds planted yesterday. I was able to work in the greenhouse where it was quite warm.
I am slowly getting lots of different clivias going from seed.
I have some seedling ones that are now about 4 years old that should flower this year or next.
My yellow is starting to flower. A very reliable clivia which flowers each year. It has already started to put out a second offspring so will soon fill the pot.
I have some lovely apricot ones which have been here for years and all came from the tip. They were older plants but took a while to get themselves settled and decide to flower.
The new seeds I bought are of many different colors , yellows, peach, oranges and orange /reds.
I am still looking to get a red so if anyone has one, or seeds, I would love to swap something for them.
I also want one of the variegated leaf clivias which are so very hard to find .

Hello Teresa. its good to hear that you seem to have found an obliging friend to drop you off from work.
It was lovely that you received such a nice surprise in your envelope too. You will have great fun shopping now.
Nice to be appreciated at work.

Hello Dianne, Colleen and Chrissy. . Love the tea service Colleen, We are really going up market .
Dianne, your grand daughter is a beautiful young lady. A credit to her family.
Chrissy, I hope the vegetable garden does really well without any interference from your hubby.
Fancy asking if we plant anything new LOL... I am always planting something new somewhere.
Hubby says I have withdrawal symptoms if I dont have something to plant..

Hello Marlene, Pam, Karen and Elaine.
Hello Anthony. Any new liliums ? My Christmas liliums are getting tall . I hope to see flowers this year. I have only ever had one flower and the perfume was so lovely. They are growing where they will get lots of morning and early afternoon sun sun but the pot is under the geraniums so in shade all day.

Time to get out in the kitchen and see what I can put out for morning tea.
One of my favorite indulgences.. try this Chocolate Mud Cake.

Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2011
11:04 PM

Post #8777425

Dianne your grand daughter is both beautiful inside and out ! most young people are (pity we only read about the few who aren't).

I have had a parade of medical people here ...learners too watching ...gosh !
Then the podiatrist to cut the toe nails of my brother. People in to measure the place for the new cupboards and oven etc ...so much for gardens, never mind -weekend ahead !
I am sure everyone is looking forward to it, I know I am.
It's all waiting out there ...planting and potting whoopee !!!!

I need to get away from the sad news filling the airways, honestly ...what a shocking year !
The World is hurting !

Time to flee into the gardens ...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 26, 2011
1:27 AM

Post #8777458

Jean--[any new liliums?]-what a silly question,.,.8 more 'fangio ' asiatics,.,.Ive got early shoppers [from last year] coming up tomorrow to buy pots,.,..,Theresa,.,.woo hoo,.,.lets go shoppin!!!..are you happy in your new job?,.,.Dianne,a beautiful young lady you have there,..,[i think all grand daughters must be born beautiful],..,

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8777635

She is a lovely young lady, Dianne and has such a sweet engaging smile.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8778231

I know it's time for a new thread. charley sends his love to all. Hope the hurrican misses the coast but hope they get the rain if they need it. Blessing DonnieBrook...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8778497

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining again but the wind is still cold.
Nothing got done yesterday except for planting a few seeds in the greenhouse.

Hello Charleen. , I hope Charley is behaving. That hurricane over your way looks like it may do a lot of damage. I do hope you are all safe .
Moon, are you out of harms way where you live ?
I dont know about Louise. The darn thing seems to be heading up her way.
Louise, stay safe .

Hello Anthony. No more new liliums. I have been very good and bought none. I did buy some clivia seeds though.
I seem to have rather a lot coming on . I really like them for the ease of growing and they are never fussy. They stay nice and green all year too. My large yellow is nearly out plus a few apricot ones. I bought a new variegated leaf one. Very beautiful.
My liliums are coming up everywhere now. Some in the pots are a bit slow and I may have planted them a bit too deep. I must go check later and see if they are shooting at all. Dont want to lose any. They are ones I got on eBay earlier.
Hope you sell lots so you can but more..lol.

Hello Chrissy, Pam, Karen, Dianne , Elaine, Teresa and Colleen.
The sun must be shining on all your gardens now. Go out and enjoy it and palnt something.

Here something nice to have with your cuppa. Devils Food Cake.
I am off to do the domestic stuff again.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8778519

I'm more in center of state but believe Louise may be in that direction. I sure hope not. Saying prayers for all of them. Don't know about Moon, she is closer to Ocean but west of Ga.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 26, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8778541

Good morning everyone. Please stay safe over there Charleen. I was sitting daydreaming yesterday and thought I've just got too many plants. Maybe I can get rid of everything except the Cacti and succulents, the brugs and the broms and the hippies and the lilliums and the geraniums and the... well I came to the conclusion that I'll just keep everything. lol It's quite cool this morning but the sun is shining so a promise of a beautiful day. The boys are up and rearing to do some thing so had better go and see to them. I'll be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 26, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8778608

A good morning to all..
I'm on my third cuppa...and saving a bit of that cake for later, Jean
My Clivias are in flower too, I have the basic orange/deep peach, which I have carted around in pots from house to house..they are the most undemanding plant ever...post your variegated one,Jean.

Let's hope the hurricane heading towards the U.S coast, downgrades or turns...they don't need any more disasters either...stay safe, any friends affected by it.

Anthony, my Cardiocrinum has just come thru and I can't wait to see which way Duchartrii grows, up or down...
Also the Nepalense, I hope it grows well this year...it was so tiny and soooo lucky...

The white Cyclamen coum, at least I think that they are coums, has the loveliest baby powder perfume and because the sun is out they are competing with the Vireyas and the Daphne for the strongest perfume...lovely in the mornings...so easy to grow from the seed...it pops up everywhere.

Colleen, that's my very favourite bird you have there...when Stephie was little I used to tell her that they were magic birds...we would be watching them one minute, turn away and they would disappear...she didn't know that they were silent flyers...lol
Have a great gardening day.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 26, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8778655

We have a lot of those feathered friends here too Colleen, so darling.
Lots of fog here this morning ...beautiful day ahead though still coolish we will get up to 22C or 23 C though.

Wonderful to hear from you two from across the pond ...stay safe, is anywhere really safe these days, maybe not in 2011, sheesh I am over it. So far we have been very lucky compared to everyone else but fire season is upon the horizon, Greece is going up in flames (wildfires). So hugs to you over there (charlie too :) . Hope Loise is ok ...

Dianne I make a double sized mug of strong coffee to rev up my motor in the morning ...I am a zombie until it has gone down the hatch. I am lucky if I get 5 hours sleep and I wake in a bit of a fog until the caffeine chases it away. It is a vice but I love my coffee.

How is everyone today ? are you all looking forward to the weekend?

I thought I might post this here to brighten the morning ...funny how most of us love the same things in our gardens and our World isn't really all that different in many gardens from all the Countries of the World ...France ...Germany etc
Enjoy your day everyone :) and to anyone in danger please be safe as possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=tp5LidDCfxk

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8778674

Wonderful Chrissy. Shows what can be done in smaller gardens. The more I see those brugs in pots, the more I like the idea. I am going to do that with all my favorite ones . Of course, I have to wait and see a flower on each first. Then I can chop and pot.
We can all have mobs of pots everywhere with all our beauties in them. Means you can take them anywhere if you move or just place around where desired.
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8778682

That was beautiful..
Love the little owls. So beautiful...
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8778708

Oh, I am so far behind. Trying to catch up.

Marlene, you have some real exotics there, many of which I have never seen. That blue flower is lovely.

Dianne, your grand daughter is beautiful.

Colleen, I adore the frogmouths. There is at least one floating around here, as I get to see a feather in the front yard every now and then. They used to breed here, but I think the male bird died (of old age) and the female and the last of her brood moved away. Apparently not very far, but I don't see them daily anymore.

Chrissy, thanks for sharing the slide show. Lovely to see so many familiar flowers in overseas gardens. And I love seeing the butterflies on them.

Jean, love all the cakes you put out. Cyber cakes are the only sort I can eat these days, so I enjoy them.

Hello Charleen, and Elaine, Teresa, Anthony, and everyone else. Its a grey day here, but we do need some rain. Everything is budding up, thinking Spring has arrived. And maybe it has, but our most unstable weather occurs in October, so fingers crossed.

My King orchid has a double stem this year and I had to get a pic in case the rain destroys the flowers, which are not quite fully open yet. This is growing on a log on the ground among some bromeliads.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 26, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8778743

Ahh... Now I know what mine is supposed to do. It did have a few pitiful flowers last year but they were eaten by bugs.
My speciosum is full of flower stems and the other dendrobiums are growing well. I must show them all your pic so they can aspire to great things .lol
Jean.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 26, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8779138

I have cut the top of a dead Tree Fern layed it in the corner I have a small pot of Native Dendrobium Orchid I would like to grow on the log how is the best way to do this --I was going to cut a large hole out then put in Orchid mix and plant in the middle is this the right way to do it or sould I plant it in the ground . here is pic showing the log and plant .

Dianne Your Grand-daughter is beautiful .

Thumbnail by sammut

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 27, 2011
2:54 AM

Post #8779193

Dianne, my cardio looks like a big 'silverbeet',.ive brought in so many new species lilies this year,'' i suppose im in for a whole new growing education'',.The medioloides has broken the surface and looks like a vine,.., ive got 'tetra asiatics' from seed to plant in 6 months,.,.'thats unheard of',.,.but im not complaining,,.,.,.i made my 1st 2011-2012 season sale today, and like the allens lollies ad, they couldnt just stop at 1,.,.things are looking very good for sales this year,..,'' im like an old kookaburra,sit,observe,work it out,,,and strike''.. i have something for everyone this year,in every shade, but blue[give me a couple of years,i might even manage a blue],.,.anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8779385

The storms have reach the Carolina, I am on the dry side. I know it is going to be bad...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8779472

Fortunately Hurricane Irene has reduced in intensity to a Category 1 storm. She is carrying winds about 85 miles per hour (136.8KPH) and is still a very wide storm (nearly 700 miles wide..1,126 K) The big problem seems to be the storm surge following the storm. She is carrying a lot of water with her. The storm presents a problem for large US cities like Washington DC, New York and Boston...millions of people and many low lying areas.

The storm is in the Atlantic ocean on the US east coast. I live just off the Gulf Coast (Gulf of Mexico)...southern US coast, so am not anywhere near the storm. An analogy/perspective would be me living in Sydney and the storm heading towards Coffs Harbour and on up to Brisbane.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8780059

Good morning everyone. I've been wandering again. One starts to just have a quick browse on a thread then you get carried away.
Still cold here but the sun is out. Better than yesterday anyway.
Elaine you have just the right idea on planting your orchids. I have my large one just sitting on the ground on top of some rocks with potting mix. It will soon cover your space . I would put a couple of rocks around to sort of lift the fern piece at one end . Make it a nice natural setting.

Anthony, the lilium man. I see you walking about the town with a tray , shouting lilies , lilies.. Good luck with all your sales.
I need a few more bulbs later when the season is over.
I have lots of my tigers coming up again. They are reliable to grow each year. Have you seen the pink tiger lily on eBay at all ?
I should have one to match my orange ones .

Charleen, glad you are not in the storm path.
Pats for Charley. He is looking like he needs a cookie.

Moon, also glad you are not affected either. It certainly is a damaging one. I see all the subways in New York have been shut down. Sensible , taking precautions as one never knows how bad storm surge can be until it hits.

I hope Louise in okay up her way.

Hello to Colleen, Dianne and Karen,
Also Pam and Teresa.

I had better get something out for morning tea, then get out in the sun and do a few things.
The wind is still cold , but hopefully it will get warmer.
Here is something different . A bit of America this morning.. Boston Cream Pie.
I hope you all pop into the Joy of Baking and Taste .com for the lovely recipes.
Have a great day. Stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8780064

Am hoping Irene does as little damage as possible. Her size and the water is of major concern. Lets hope few people are hurt from it. I see there have been some deaths already from related incidents. Going to be a long, hard weekend over there.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 27, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8780170

Jean, i am growing a ''pink tiger cross'' from seed here,.,.hopefully the hybridiser''Bill Cramer'' will send me red,purple and yellow this year''Hoopla lilies'' is his site,.,.i should be able to pull up a pink bulb next 'may'-they grow very quickly

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8780176

Thanks. Irene is pushing a nine foot wave ahead of her...a lot of NYC is below sea level...especially the subway system...I just worry about all the homeless folks that that shelter in the subways.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 27, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8780223

Hello to everyone,
Hope you don't mind me popping in...saw Jean's post in another forum and she mentioned the Aussie Forum, so I had to check it out. I LOVE Australia and have to say I would move there in a heartbeat if I could. My husband and I went about 8 years ago...started out in Auckland NZ and on to Christchurch...then flew to Melbourne. New Zealand is a beautiful country also. We were only in Melbourne for 4 days, but loved it so much. We went to see the Penguins at ?? Island (can't remember). That was really fasinating! You do not think of penguins in Australia.

It seems so weird seeing you post pictures of snow...as Charleen can tell you we are having some really hot temps...it was 101 today (sorry, don't know much metric). But just looking at the snow makes me feel a little cooler.

Well, almost bedtime here...stay warm over there and I will pop in every now and then if you don't mind.

I love the owls, they are beautiful! These are in my back yard occasionally.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 27, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8780261

A quick hello to all of you in the Tea Room ...I am outside hacking things down from the outside of the house as requested by the Fire department :( ...sigh !

My lanterns are all budded up and now ...chopped. There goes the Spring display.
Back later after the rest is chopped ...hope everyone is ok and into the Spring stuff out there.

Hi GAgirl welcome ...hope you are safe this is for all our friends in the USA who are in the path of /or have folks there in the path of ...Irene. Charleen, Moon and Loise and everyone from across the pond ...
(`v)
`*..*
. .*).*)
(.(. (..`..♥ this heart prayer is for all the families along the Eastern coast of the US as they get ready for hurricane Irene!! God bless & keep them all safe!!! Please stay safe everyone ~*♥♥*~

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8780397

Welcome GAgirl. . Pop in anytime and see what we are doing. We may be across an ocean, but we are all still as mad about our plants as anyone else around the world.
We do like peeping into other yards to see what their gardens are like, so if you see any heads looking around the cornerr, it may be us.
Not so strange that we have penguins here because we are not that far from the Antarctic.
In fact the last few days felt like we were a lot closer. Chrissy, so sad you had to chop things, but they will grow back .
I think it is the stupidest thing and someone in whichever council, needs to do a bit if research into plants .
Better get out and do a bit more before it rains again. Been showers all morning.
Another orchid coming out.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8780398

Hello GAgirl. Are those turkeys? Are they wild birds? We get a bush turkey here which is a real pest, and to add insult to injury, they are inedible.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 27, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8780451

Good afternoon everyone. Good to see a new face GA girl. I have been down to the lake and playground this morning with the boys and now they're all pooped out and nice and quiet. It's an absolutely beautiful day here, sun is shining and a slight breeze. Butterflies everywhere. I hope they're not laying eggs on my brugs. Lovely orchid Jean. I have a few that were given to me, but they haven't flowered for me. I don't know a lot about them so might have to learn or give them to someone else. I have a dendrobium in the SH just like Elaine's and have been wondering how it would go attached to a large rock. They are called Sydney Rock Orchids so maybe they will go okay. Anyone tried them on a rock? and how did you attach them? Must go and do something, be back later. Stay safe in the US everyone. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8780457

Karen, I think we should all move to that yard. I am sure the turkeys are very edible as I have seen shows about them and people do go out to get them.
All our yummy turkeys come from these as far as I know.
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8780462

Colleen, Steve who used to be on here had some of the rock orchids growing up in a tree.
I just sat mine on the rock s on the ground with a bit of potting mix around the roots . As they reproduce from new shoots at the base of the plant, you could attach it to a large rock maybe with fishing line. It would have to be very firmly anchored as they do grow fairly quickly and get very heavy, which is why mine is on the ground. You could make a large rock mound and plonk it on the top. It would grow all over it and look natural.
You can always send you cymbids here for a holiday. Lol... Of course they would not know the way back so would have to stay.
Jean.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

August 27, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8780467

Thank you all for the welcome...so much for going to bed...we are building a house and my husband has been after me to draw up some plans for the pool and landscaping and I have been putting it off. He started again tonight so I thought I may as well get on it, the contractor needs to know where things are going so he can level and slope the yard for drainage. So now my brain is whirling with thoughts of what to do in the yard, so now I 'have' to get on the internet and look up some things I may 'need'. Ha! Teach my husband to badger me...LOL.

Karen,
Yes, those are wild turkeys, they are beginning to make a comback here in GA. I have counted up to 72 in our back yard at one time. They aren't too much of a pest.

Jean,
Beautiful orchid...cymbidium...looks like(?). I have around 200 myself, but they have been so neglected of late, they really aren't blooming. Jean, the white stuff isn't meally bugs or scale is it? I have about 5 orchids that the scale just seem to love and they don't get on any of the others.

Ok, a few more minutes and I AM off to bed (11:46 PM in GA)...yawn!!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 27, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8780484

Sounds as though you might get a bit of rain Charleen...not too much I hope..
Glad that you and yours are out of the way Jean/moon...hope that Louise is ok...
Welcome GAgirl...that island where the penguins were was Philip is...here in Victoria..
Drop in anytime and put in your 5c worth...

Anthony...coloured Tigers...yes please...I will have a look at Hoopla lillies...you are doing brilliantly with those seeds by the sounds of it...I was wondering where my Cardio was... because you mentioned yours about a month ago...

Aah, Karen...what unkind thoughts..lol...you sound just like Shelly who used to entertain us with her turkey stories...
By the way, I have had one of those King orchids for over 20 yrs and the b... thing has never flowered..
It has been divided and grows very well...but nary a flower do I see...it's been in shade, full sun, up, down...so I have come to the conclusion that it is a non flowerer...lol

Jean you must have scared those Cymbids last year..they are doing so well this year for you...
Elaine..good luck with your tree fern project...are you glad you decided to stay put in your house?
there were so many pretty things that you had in your garden...

Thank you all for the kind comments re my Stephie... Anthony is right ...grandaughters are all beautiful.
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8780488

Gt grand daughters are even cuter, but I dont have a recent pic of mine
this is Ella last year. I saw her when they visited earlier this year, but stupid me was too busy playing with Ella and forgot to take pics.
She will have a sibling in a few months. .
Jean.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 3:31 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 27, 2011
10:21 PM

Post #8780516

Have to agree Jean...Ella is gorgeous... and she is a Twilight fan already...
Plenty of time for more pics when your 2nd G grandchild arrives...
Dianne.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8780544

I don't know what the secret is for the King Orchids. I have a mini one in a tree, but it has never flowered. That one in flower is very tempermental and can go years without a flower, then suddenly gets one or two or six for no apparent reason. It is very sheltered under the trees and gets minimum filtered light.

The turkeys are quite good looking, aren't they. Glad they are making a comeback, and hope they don't become a nuisance. The reason our bush turkeys are a problem is that they build huge mounds and can really rip up large gardens and do lots of damage.

Anyone know about pawpaw trees? Mine is very sick. Pic shows the destruction of the leaves. It is dry, not a bug I don't think.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 28, 2011
1:16 AM

Post #8780600

Absolute daffodil demolishing winds here,,its been windy all weekend but today had a bit of vengence and wrecked just about every daff in bloom.,,so what,theres always next year,..,you have to look at the bright side and move on,.,.[i just hope its not windy when the lilys bloom, or i might cry] ha ha
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 28, 2011
1:35 AM

Post #8780604

The little garden I have been playing with is really next doors right next to my drive way it has never had any thing growing in it only the dead Tree stump so only putting in little things I have --I planted one bush orchid to look like it has grown from under the stump . and a few little bits around.

Most of the day I have been playing with 4 buckets- a milk bottle odd peice of PVC - cut of hose and a off cut of reed fence screen whate do you think I made.-------Elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 28, 2011
1:45 AM

Post #8780605

It all started with being given a old laundry tub to use as a planter.
I had a better use for the tub I needed a sink out side not much material to work with here is how it all went to gether.after a lot of playing it all works perfect does the job.---elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 28, 2011
1:47 AM

Post #8780607

here it is all finished. Only took most of the day.-------elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8781281

Great job Elaine.
Cute liittle Ballerina. Too.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 28, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8781641

Good morning everyone.
Looks like today will be like yesterday. Cold & windy.
Cant really do much until we get a bit of warm to dry out the long grass so I can spray it.

Anthony, its sad when the wind does that to the daffs. I find that it doesnt take much of a breeze to knock the daffies over but the liliums seem to be much stronger. .
My asiatics were in the windiest place before their move , but never broke or bent over at all.
I love the daffies but they do like laying down on the job. Funny thing though, the jonquils are better at standing tall even in a bit of wind.

Elaine, you did a great job with your sink. Clever lady.

Karen, I know what you mean with the orchids. Mine d. ,speciosum is huge now but it is temperamental when flowering.
Last year , about 2 flower stems, now there are too many to count.It has been in its present place for over 3 years so thats not the cause.
I think they are just moody plants. Ignore them, thats what I do. I think it is a trait with dendrobiums . Here, anyway

Dianne how is your garden doing ? It must be getting full now. Pity we cant make gardens that float in the air. Make for a lot more room.

Hello Charleen, How are you doing there ? Are you still having that awful heat ?
I feel for all those affected by Irene. over there Going to be a lot of cleaning up and I hope, no more deaths.

Louise, we are all hoping you are safe where you are too.

Hello everyone else. I am off to see whats doing outside.
Try these happy little Sunflower Cupcakes with you cuppa.
Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8781943

Earlier in year several of our Church members had damage from a Tornadoes that went thru several counties. They are still cleaning up trees and debri from that. I never saw anything like it. It is a miricle when folks survive something like that. Will be saying prayers for our eastcoast friends.
Still hot in afternoon and no rain. Nice and cool in mornings. I believe fall is coming...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 29, 2011
12:06 AM

Post #8782343

Hope that it comes quickly for you and brings lots of gentle rain, Charleen.

My garden really isn't full, Jean...it only looks like it is in the Summer...at this time of year while the trees are still bare, except for blossoms, there appears to be lots of room..lol..

Anthony, I feel sorry for your wasted blooms...how many types of Daffodils do you have now? are you really serious about them too?...I mean are you hybridising Daffs?

Great garden sink, Elaine...good place to wash veggies if you grow them...
Dianne

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 29, 2011
2:09 AM

Post #8782386

No, not at all Dianne,.,.leave that to Rodriguez,.,.i now have about 140-150,decent[no minus about 15] [that were permanent no shows this year] showworthy daffs,including minis,..,but i must clear some this year[theyve been in 3 yrs or more] they are all in poly boxes,.,.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 29, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8783566

Good morning everyone. My fingers are cold. Its only about 4C here now . It was down to that last night when I went to bed.
Hubby says no frost, just a sort of dry cold.

Anthony, I never thought of poly boxes for the daffs. I still have a few boxes here with succulents in. I may tip them out and add the daffs around the place. .
Just the special ones of course as I have 100s of the usual King Alfred type in the garden which can stay out there looking pretty.
I usually get nice large boxes when we get our Chrisco Christmas hamper. You dont see the poly boxes in the supermarkets now, which is where I used to get them free. .

Hello Dianne. I know what you mean with the trees etc. It sometimes looks like you really need a new plant for a space but then suddenly spring comes and the plants grow over that space.
I have fallen into that trap many times and had to move plants later as they were overshadowed .

Hello Charleen. Give Charley a few cookies from the kitchen. After all that heat he deserves them. I hope you do get nice gentle rain and a not too cold winter.

Hello Louise, I do hope all is well over your way now that Irene has been and gone.

Hello Colleen, Pam, Karen and Chrissy..Hope all the aches etc are completely gone now and you are all enjoying some sunshine.

Hello Teresa. are you settling into the new Job okay ? You will have a completely new lot of friends and routine too.
Hope Copper appreciates having you around at different times now. too.

I am not going outside for a while until I see more sun. it is cloudy now, but I think that is the misty fog rising.

I have some pentsemon seeds to plant in the greenhouse.
Some wine red and some chocolate. .

Here something to have with your cuppa. Chocolate Sponge Roll. ( with cream Brian & Leisa )
Enjoy your day.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 29, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8783697

Morning all
Jean, it was very cold last night but it's a lovely, sweet smelling morning...
I love Pentemons too..I bought some Gladioli bulbs for the first time in ages...the colour range these days is wonderful...I tend to get thrips on mine, so I'm growing these in a pot and putting wire around them..that way I can look after them...and spray them when needed.

One good thing about being forgetful, is being very pleasantly surprised when all the different bulbs come thru...all of my treasures are in pots and I don't tag them because of Tilly...so when they start to grow I don't know what they are 'till they flower...I get such a buzz out of this...
Some of them can be identified by the leaves...such as the Arisaema, which is a weird looking thing as it grows.
But the majority being Liliums, I have to wait...which I find very enjoyable...because everyone is a surprise...
Boy, I'm getting easy to amuse...
back later..
Dianne

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 29, 2011
11:19 PM

Post #8784360

Gee wish I could have weather like to day for all year round been busy out side most of the day my newest feature is I have hung a TV on the garden shed door.
Not growing vegies this year both me and the ground need a rest...elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 30, 2011
1:28 AM

Post #8784403

out on aphid anniholation this arvo,..,they are violently busy already, so i became the terminator,.,.lilies,lilies lilies,.,.they are busy too,.,.jean,those chrisco boxes are brilliant, but make sure you punch the drainage holes from the inside out,.,.dianne, gladdies, i purchased 6,''shades of green''-''shades of purple'',.,..,woo hoo!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8784485

Lol Elaine love the garden show on your outdoor tv. You are amazing.

Yes Anthony those crisco boxes are beaut too, yes the bugs are out early here too and so are the snakes, we have had our first brown snake bite up this way already.
I love Gladdys too Dianne ...I have lots of the wild ones pop up here.
I hope you gals over the pond are getting over Irene ...very sad scenes.
Lots happening here ...a bit busy.

Hope everyone is enjoying a nice restful evening ...can't wait to see my pillow tonight .
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 30, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8785427

Good morning everyone. Have been very busy in the yard. Liliums popping up in all places now. I hope they all flower. They will put on a real show if they do. Can anyone explain please? I planted White suavelons in the front yard after pulling it out of the SH with flowers on and putting it in a tub of water for a few days til the flowers died. It had other buds on it but decided to risk loosing them and planted it out. Well the bud that did come out looks like a very pale Aztec Gold. Long and thin and lemon colour. I thought that it may have been a piece that I'd poked into the pot with it but no, it actually comes off the main stem. The other buds shrivelled so can't compare them. Will have to wait for others. Very strange when while in the SH it had pure white flowers very much the shape of RFP but a bit smaller. It has been absolutely beautiful weather here. If only we could have it like that all the time with a bit of rain every now and then. Hope everyone is well. Have put the kettle on and had a cuppa. I think I can see Dianne coming down the path. Will be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 30, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8785461

Morning all, here I come Colleen, glad to catch up with you...ready for that cuppa, pour one for Jean too, she is coming.

Anthony I bought the green ones too...plus one called Priscilla...that was my nanna's name...it's a white with a deep pink edge...I will see how these go then I might get different colours next year.

Colleen, I envy your warm weather it's been freezing here...can't help with your flower...it will be one to watch.
Clever clogs, Elaine...very novel idea.
Here is the Arisaema...weird or what?

Have a great day everyone...Chrissy how is your veggie patch coming along?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 30, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8785474

Dianne, that sure is strange in a beautiful way. I ran into some people from Geelong the other day at the playground. They had been travelling around WA and were just on their last leg back home. They said from reports it was freezing and raining in Geelong and they weren't looking forward to getting home to that. It is still cool in the mornings here but the days have been perfect for gardening. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8785488

Morning everyone ...nurse coming today so I will pop back later ...have fun in the sun :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 30, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8785507

Good morning everyone. Fog here this morning. I cant keep up with the weather changes these days. One never puts any clothes away for the winter or summer now. I remember Mum packing the winter woolies away and our changing of school uniform from winter tunic to summer dress.
Not these days, you need both sets in the one day.

Dianne, I have tho odd gladdie that still comes up here. Hubby had heaps of them but most were gone by the time we met. I have some of the mini ones which are quite pretty . They grow nearly as tall but the flowers are smaller.
I may get a few of the larger ones and poke them among the liliums in the ground.

Anthony, gladdies ??? You will have a magnificent show with them among your liliums.
My liliums are getting large now. A bit of sun helps. The asiatics I moved are growing like trees.
I see lots in the pots now too.

Hello Colleen. My white suavoleons is out in the open and the buds always open to a light lemon color which then turns white.
Maybe being in the shadehouse before kept the flower white from the start.
Chrissy will know.

Hello Elaine. Love your TV. You do have imagination. Looks really nice there. I think if I did that, the darn sparrows would nest in it.
I do have a heap of old microwave ovens and TVs that hubby rips apart for bits for his amplifier building.
I could make a wall of them and fill them with succulents.
Beats leaving them sit down the back. They dont go to the recycle centre ( as the tip is now called) because the council charges over $10 per appliance.
Plus way too much for other rubbish. .
This is why there is so much roadside dumping around. Never happened when tips were free or just a small charge.

Hello Chrissy. Hope your brother is coming along well these days.
your garden will look lovely next season when everything grows twice as much after the prune.

Hello Teresa, Pam and Karen.

Charleen, I see on the news there is another hurricane forming over there. I hope the new one decides to stay out at sea.
Louise , hope all is well with you . Hugs for the girls.

I am going to plant a few seeds today.
I bought seeds of 2 different rhododendrons and 3 crepe myrtles. I have not grown any from seed before so should be interesting.
Better go and be domestic again. I like to show hubby that I am not out in the garden all the time. Things do eventually get done inside too.
Try these Chocolate Coconut Macaroons with a nice cuppa.
Keep safe and warm. Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 30, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8785533

Thanks for pouring the tea , ladies.
Dianne, I have a common arisaema but yours is cute. Is it a. sikokianum ?
Yours is a relative of my large dracunculus and the amorphophallus. .
Love those weird plants.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2011
11:34 PM

Post #8786248

Hi running very late as usual ...one thing after another here right now, I hope everyone enjoyed their day, lovely sunshine out there, pity I was stuck inside most of the day but never mind.

I have decided to grow most of my stuff in those polystyrene boxes ...just to see how it goes as apposed to the grounds. It might be easier to manage I think than the big no dig area (snakes !). You do the same thing in a way ...layer some hay and manure a few inches high in the bottom of the boxes. then the growing medium.
it works for the Brugs why wouldn't it work for most veggies. Except the melons and pumpkins and cucumbers. I have grown cherry tomatoes and beans very happily in them before. I am soaking and germinating seeds first.
I can see the blossoms on the plums out front. I look forward to the citrus scents each year, and can always smell the Wisteria on the first day of October.
You only need 6" of good soil to grow the leafy lettuce.
I have more hippy blooms budding up, they have never stopped through the Winter and are now getting a second wind.
Best go be domestic now everyone has gone ...bye for now :)
gardengal
se qld
Australia

August 31, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8787313

Morning all. I've been absent for a bit, sorry ... and the dog ate my note!

That's an awesome frogmouth pic, Colleen. We have them here, but I hadn't seen them for a while since before the rain in Spring and Summer, although I hadn't looked for them either. I was fortunate enough to spot a nest , way up 20 metres or so into a tree last Spring, so we trained the telescope onto it and focused the camera through the eyepiece of the telescope to take a video of the babies - they're very cute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSXFQRb5yDQ

Karen, re your pawpaw tree, it looks as though it could possibly be fungal, but they can tend to shed most of their leaves during Winter. My inclination would be to simply remove the affected leaves and bin them. It will soon enough make a new batch of healthy leaves as the weather warms up. It can't hurt to give a dose of potash with the fruit coming on.

We've had about 70mm of rain over the past week or so, so I've been busily cutting back the ornamental grasses before they decide to take off. They provide plenty of mulch when cut back, but boy it's a big job. With the mingo ( prostrate blue version of kangaroo grass) I started out very neatly sorting through and carefully cutting around the handful of new shoots that are already starting to emerge, but by the end I was just hacking the whole clump off close to ground level. They will take a couple of weeks maybe to clump up again, but will come back fine. It will probably take me the best part of the next week to get through the other assorted grasses around the place. In the section we've left natural at the back, there are already butterflies everywhere skimming the dried brown grasses for somewhere to lay, so I obviously should have done up there a month ago, but with no idea of when it was likely to rain to replenish the growth, there didn't seem much rush, so now I have a huge job ahead of me., in as short a time as possible. Thank goodness for a decent whipper snipper - starts first pull and is well balanced.

We'll be picking up a new friend for our dog Max from the RSPCA in the next couple of days. I don't know that I am ready to replace little Molly just yet, but he is desperately in need of a friend. The new little fella appears to be poodle X either shi tzu or maltese and is very cute. With our dogs being indoor dogs we prefer them to be non-shedding varieties, and our house is so tiny anyway that anything other than a tiny dog would be forever having to be stepped over. Appart from which they're good for cuddles! lol

Jean, Ella is very cute. Make the most of playing while you can - they stay tiny for so long, don't they? I can't wait for our two little darling babies to be big enough to dig in the garden and learn to cook. Izzy is only 15 months and Josh in 9 months, but I bought a children's set including kitchen scales months ago. I guess they might be in storage for a few years, but I'll be prepared! hehehe.

Jean, $10 per appliance to dump is outrageous! Seeing as your hubby is opening up the microwaves anyway, can they perhaps be stripped down to metal for recycling and the rest fitted into the regular garbage? Just out of curiosity, what parts from a microwave does your hubby use in his amplifier building? I read a while ago of someone whose hubby used a spare microwave to make plasma in the shed ... boys and their toys. lol

Anyway, must away ... things to do, people to see.

Have a great day all
Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 31, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8787346

Good morning everyone. Fog again this morning , but I hope it turns out warmer after it lifts than the last few days.
Planted more seeds etc yesterday. The greenhouse is getting very full now. Once the weather gets properly warm, I will pot up a lot of the cuttings that are growing nicely and move them outside.
I looked at my iris garden yesterday. Hmmmmm Weeds...
I pulled a lot of the darn water weed stuff from the center of the plants to allow the sun to get at them. Still a bit wet as the dirt comes up with the weeds.

Hello Pam, nice to see you popping back in. Grasses are lovely but do take a bit of work dont they ? A friend used to have quite a few plants further up north of our state. She would burn them each year. Seemed to do them good. I was thinking of the same thing last year now that mine are getting large , but I think the clumps stay a bit too green here . I just use the hedge clippers .
I love my hedge clippers. Good for so many quick jobs and the plants all recover quickly.
Re. using the microwaves , hubby uses some of the fans and transformers in his hobby .

Chrissy, those poly boxes work for practically anything. I have lots of succulents in some of them. Have to wait for the new hamper in a few months for more boxes. Hubby pinches them too. They are good for using around his amplifiers when packing for posting.
I grew tomatoes in them once.
Tomatoes and some other vegies grow well also just inserted into bags of potting mix.
I saw this on an English show and tried it . It works.

Hello Colleen, Karen, Dianne, Anthony and anyone else popping in.I am off as we have to do a few things on the way to Hamilton this morning.
See you all later. Enjoy your day
Try this Zucchini Date Cake.

We have moved over to here. I thought we'd all sit under the blossom trees.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217331/
Jean.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2011 8:55 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

September 1, 2011
3:10 AM

Post #8788076

hi everybody, I am loving my new job but tired beyond belief.
Bought myself lots of lovely clothes - told hubby I spent $250 in one go & he laughed... he just paid $15,000 for an aeroplane so figures I should be able to splurge on nice clothes for work... from work.
I am our best customer so far!
It has been 8 years since I bought tidy casual/work attire so I guess I did need to do it.
I took mu camera for a walk today - kind of a photo essay of the trip in to the new job - I have to catch 3 buses - or I can cut the middle two & walk half an hour in along the cordoned off part of the inner city.
Will post soon as I have the time & energy...
take care everyone - enjoy the spring weather, ours was great till this evening.
Blossoms were out on the Avon river bank & there are magnolias just starting to flower in front of a modern building that is abandoned & red stickered...
think I need to do my photo journal every few weeks to record the changes.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America