Photo by Melody

Article: A Visit to Greenland - Part 1: the Native Flora: Tomato Hornworm larvae - Hawk Moth

Communities > Forums > Article: A Visit to Greenland - Part 1: the Native Flora
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Visit to Greenland - Part 1: the Native FloraReplies: 1, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Zsu
Duncansville, PA

August 13, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8753886

Noticed two tomato hornworms happily feeding on a tomato plant. Tomato hornworms metamorphose into Luna Hawk Moths that delight the eye as well as pollinate various domestic and wild fruiting plants. After several days of believing that deer munched on his tomato leaves, I pointed out a large and a small hornworm (a male and a female?) who curled into defense mode by exposing what looked like two rows of teeth, which they weren't teeth but white on one green end to resemble teeth. Before I could ask to spare them, my hubby grabbed the worms and dispatched them under his big foot. Is it wrong or potentially destructive to sacrifice just one tomato plant so that we (and Nature) can enjoy the Luna Hawk Moth and its benefits?
I was small-truckfarm born and bred. Each year out of 3 to 5 thousand tomato plants, Dad always allowed several to nourish the hornworms. There were always Hawk Moths to delight the eye as well as we always harvested ample, healthy fruits on our orchard trees, that I believe were due in part to the Hawk Moth. Where do you draw the line at 'destructive' behavior? I'm not talking about bean beetles that can decimate entire fields of beans, these are controllable creatures whose last stage of life is beneficial to mankind.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8768453

i'm not sure how this relates to Greenland, but i have been "rescuing" a big brown-striped hornworm from my two kittens. i have relocated it to the field outside the yard three times. thank you for reminding me that it will turn into a huge, magical moth. the raccoons control them enuf. i will continue to rescue them. thanks, Zsu! =^..^= =^..^=

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Visit to Greenland - Part 1: the Native Flora Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great tour! LLMac 7 Mar 1, 2009 6:47 PM
Greenland tour HoosierGreen 0 Mar 1, 2009 12:38 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this! Igrowinpa 0 Mar 1, 2009 3:05 AM
Thank you for the tour wildauddie 0 Mar 2, 2009 1:47 PM
My Roots and your garden riggor37 1 Mar 2, 2009 6:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America