Photo by Melody

Sewing and Quilting: designing a quilt for a sliding door curtain .. .

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 16, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

August 13, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8754358

Hi! I don't post too often on here, but I sure love reading and learning.

I've been thinking about doing this and need to bounce the idea off others to get more confidence before starting.

I have a sliding glass door on the east side of the house by my dining room table. I love to sit there and look out to my someday beautiful backyard while eating, sewing, reading, etc.

Anyway, quite a bit of warm sunshine comes in through that window in the summer and I'm sure I loose a bit of warmth in the winter. I do not like the idea of drapes on it, nor vertical blinds, so wondering about making a quilt to use during the morning hours. Thinking of using one of the ceiling traverse rods to keep it more user friendly (think kids), doing a large design like the carpenter star, so I can get it done quickly, and making the outside edges dark to hide dirty finger marks.

The window opening (floor to ceiling) is approximately 96 x 96. I want it to open up to be more or less flat so the design will be recognizable.

My questions are:

Do you think this is workable?
Any ideas on what to use as a backing to prevent sun deterioration? I know it shouldn't be too heavy, so hoping to eliminate the middle layer.
Do you foresee any problems?
Has anyone done this?

Advice appreciated. Thanks!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8754785

You might hang that sun blocker fabric behind it like a liner, you know like a shower liner behind the shower curtain? That kind of idea is what I'm suggest. The sun blocker stuff is kind of expensive. I see no reason why you can't skip the batting, you could even make it like a duvet, and later use it on a bed. I would recommend checking out the cost of a professionally installed tinted reflective plastic. We had it installed on our windows when we lived in Boise, Idaho and it made a WORLD of difference and did not hamper our view out.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8754909

Hi Greta, I haven't done anything that large, but I have done quilted curtains for my grands to match their quilts I made for them.
If sun blocker fabric is too expensive, you might do as Pat says make it like a duvet cover. Then the backing would be rather simple to replace if it got too faded from the sun. Use like a sheeting fabric or even my favorite, a king size sheet.
What ever you decide, I think a quilted drape would be awesome.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8754992

do you want it to open to the sides? or one side? could it roll up?? I saw some thing on face book awhile ago...I think I kept a link...let me see if I can find it for you...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8755010

here is a link ...this place sells parts, needed to make these kind of shades...sure you could come up with some ides based on what is shown here..
http://www.terrelldesigns.com/Galleries

I did a quilted "balloon" shade for a small window...I see no reason why same idea would not work for larger window / door. I know I don't have that link any more, but I found "free" directions for balloon shades somewhere on the net..you could try to "google" and see what you come up with..

the one I did, I made a small quilt, for the front / inside, and backed it with a dark navy canvas duck, the dark navy of course did fade over time, but I wanted it dark to block out all the light, when the shade was down...I did no batting, and a simple quilt block, and tied it to the duck..just here and there...as I said it was small, for a window on a door.

have fun and let us know what you do...we love pictures!!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

August 14, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8755448

Thank you for the link Thunder. Ideas working here as I have 2 sliding glass doors and a couple of window I can do this with. I have not put up blinds or curtains in some of the rooms because I do not want to loose the view. But with the romans shade type I can pull up and out of the way .

Greta sorry I have no helpful hints for you.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8755564

Even silmplier (and less expensive) than Roman shades. I used tension rods. 3 per window. When i made the curtain I put 3 "pockets" on the back - top, 1/3 down, and then 2/3 down. Put the tension rods thru the pockets When I want them open, I move the rods up to the top of the window, and drape the fabric over the front, so it looks like Roman shades, Then to close, just pull the rods down.

For another window I took an even easier route. Just did the 1 pocket for the top rod. Put the other rods in the window opening & just draped the fabric over.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8755644

Jean, that sounds very nice! got any pics?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8757348

great ideas Jean!!
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

August 15, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8757430

Wow! Thanks for the ideas.

Sun blocker fabric -- is that the stuff they make awnings with? or outdoor cushions?

The tinted reflective plastic sounds good, but I want that morning heat in the winter.

This curtain is to open on the right side. Kids go in and out this door all day long, so raising and lowering rods would not work, but great idea.

My husband suggested that silver reflective material that car sun shades are made of. Wonder were I could find some of that by the yard.

I'm thinking of a lighter background so my quilt will have the stain-glass look. I absolutely love this quilt by mojo >> http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8663091

It is under "What are You Making -Summer 2011" on June 29th. The curves do not excite me, but I love the quilt -- and idea where I can find the instructions?

Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate your help.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8757473

she sells her patterns, has a web site, and she is on facebook...can not post a link here?? I believe it is against the rules??

If you send me an e mail address by d mail I will send you a link to her page...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8757732

You can find the sun block already made up as curtains, I don't know about the yardage unsewn.
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

August 16, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8759432

I think I may have just found the answer -- for those interested -- check this out --

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/radiant-curtains.htm

I called and ask for prices. . . 59" x 10' is $39.95. . .59" x 30' is $79.95.

This should allow the light to come in (I think), but keep out 95%of the radiant heat. And I could use the extra material, of the 30' roll, for sheers on the other windows around the house that heat up. I like it!!

Oh, it is white on the inside and silver on the outside, oops that may not allow the light in.

I may just try this.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2011 9:54 AM
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

August 16, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8759480

Greta thank you so much. I really need to keep out the heat and sun as it comes in the back of the house all day.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8803841

So Greta, what did you end up doing? Got any pictures?
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

September 13, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8807249

I haven't done anything yet -- still dreaming.

Though I do believe I've decided on the design of the quilt. One from Jan Krentz's Quick Star Quilts. I bought the material and have ordered the book and 6" diamond ruler.

I'm thinking I don't want it too think and heavy, but have yet to decide on the backing. I think I'll use the radiant barrier as a liner. But, as you well know, time will tell. I have all fall/winter and even spring to get this together before next summer's heat wave.

I'm anxious for the book to come in, so I can get started. I've also ordered Stack and Whack, which also excites to me -- I love kaleidoscope designs.

Thanks for asking.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8807602

Jan has some nifty patterns, should be an awesome curtain..please remember to show us as you go along??!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America