Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Saving Seeds: Are these seeds worth saving?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 5, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kirbyk
Lewiston, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8754649

Hi... I bought some banana peppers today that turned out to be Hungarian. They were wonderfully hot, so I saved the seeds. But I started wondering if they will germinate. I'm drying them out... but should I save them, or am I wasting my time?
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 18, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8763378

I think it is always a crap shoot when you save the seed of any plant that has a questionable background ,but that is part of the fun Plant them and see what happens
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 18, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8763379

i should have also added that it is always best to plant any seeds of plants we might not be real familiar with in a planter box seperated for other seeds so we will reconize the seedlings right away
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8765943

I'd plant a few right now in a pot to see if they will grow. If the pepper was ripe enough they will grow. If they won't grow you can throw them out. What you get will depend on their parents. I suspect you'll get some kind banana pepper that will vary in hotness and other aspects from one plant to another.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2011 4:42 PM

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8772002

I'd urge you to save any info you can recall, like the name of the fruit stand and exact date. If you really love the result, you may want to be able to refer back to it like it was an orchid-collecting expedition up the Amazon.

I suspect that many comemrical crops are hybrid, for the uniformity and productivity. But SOME hybrids have fairly uniform offspring, and if tjhey don't, some will probably be better than the parents for your particular taste, soil and climate.

Corey
kirbyk
Lewiston, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8787330

Thanks everyone... been very busy (building a garage onto the house). I'm gonna see if the seeds sprout. Great idea. I just stick a few in a pot and see what happens.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America